Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 23/10/2015 / Number of Pages: 94 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 9th edition of the 'Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that continue to impact on the market and forecasts for market development over the next few years.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - market sizes, product mixes and product trends.
- Analysis by product group - care products, toys, housing, bedding & feeding, collars, leads & utility products.
- Analysis by pet type - dogs, cats, fish & reptiles, small animals and birds.
- Review of supply and distribution structure - company profiles, market structure etc.
- Forecasts of market developments - key trends and future prospects to 2019.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance during 2012-2015 - pet owners' unwillingness to compromise on their pets helps to underpin market.
- Analysis by type of pet - estimated shares held by the different pet types.
- Product group analysis - market size and forecasts 2009-2019, product mixes, mix by type of pets, market influences and trends.
- Review of key suppliers - shares of major players.
- Review of key distribution channels - continued expansion of Pets Superstores, growth of the Internet, Amazon in particular, and impact of discount stores.
- Forecasts of market performance to 2019 - prospects and market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
Ancol Pet Products, Aqua Pacific (UK), Aquatics, Argos, Armitages Pet Products, Bayer (UK), Beaphar, Bestpets, Bob Martin UK, Boots, Company of Animals, Countrywide Farmers, Creature Comforts, Danish Design Pet Products, Dobbies, Ferplast (UK), Garden & Leisure Group, Hagen, Happy Pet Products, Hi-Craft, Homebase, Interpet, Johnson's Veterinary Products, Just for Pets, Juwel Aquarium (UK), Leonard F. Jollye, Lloyds Pharmacy, Maidenhead Aquatics, Mars Petcare, Merial Animal Health, Milpets, Mines for Pets, Pampurred Pets, Pedigree Wholesale, Pet Brands, Petlife International, Pets at Home, Pets Corner, PetSafe, Pettex, R Plevin & Sons, Reef One, Rolf C Hagen, Rosewood Pet Products, Savic, Scruffs, Sharples 'n' Grant, Stax Trade Centres, Tetra (UK), The Garden Centre Group, The Pet Warehouse Co, The Range, Tolsa (UK), Trago Mill, Vital Pet Products, Webbs Garden Centre, Wilkinson Hardware Store, World of Water.
- UK pet accessories market - market definition, size, key characteristics of the market, share within the overall pet market..
- Overall market size in value terms from 2009-2015, with forecasts through to 2019.
- Market trends and key market influences including pet ownership levels, types of pet, increasing humanisation of pets and demand for convenience products.
- Estimated shares by type of pet - dogs, cats, small animals, reptile/fish & birds - dominance of dog & cat products, trends etc.
- Identification of key suppliers and distribution channels - continued expansion of Pet Superstores, growth of the Internet (Amazon in particular) and impact of discount stores.
- Review of product groups - care products; toys; housing, bedding & feeding equipment; collars, leads & utility products and miscellaneous.
- Estimated shares of main product groups within pet accessories market.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mix and market sizes 2009-2015, with forecasts to 2019, mix by type of pets.
- Product sectors - market sector sizes - care products including maintenance, worm/flea treatments, types of cat litter, health supplements and grooming; dog & cat toys & tank accessories; bedding, cages, aquariums/terrariums, hutches, feeding; leads, collars and other products etc.
- Review of products within market - recent trends, future prospects and factors affecting sector.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Profiles of leading manufacturers of pet accessories - fragmented structure, market shares of leading players, company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Supplier shares for bedding & baskets, cat litter and aquariums & other terrariums.
- Review of distribution - estimated channel shares including pet superstores, independent pet stores, grocery multiples, mail order/catalogue/Internet. Impact of changing consumer shopping behaviour and growth of discount stores.
- Review of leading distributors - profiles of key distributors including company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Forecast of market development in the short, medium and long term.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth - humanisation of pets, pet ownership levels, disposable incomes, product innovation, environmental issues, impact of the Internet on distribution.
- Outlook for pet accessories market through to 2019.
Pet accessories is a highly fragmented and competitive market that covers a wide range of product groups including care products, toys, housing, bedding & feeding products, and collars, leads and utility products. The sector is considered to be relatively resilient to economic downturns and has generally experienced flat to marginal growth levels over recent years - a performance which can be considered good in comparison with many other 'home product' markets.
Key influences within the pet accessories market are pet ownership levels, trends in the types of pet owned, a demand for more convenient products and the increasing humanisation of pets, with the latter representing one of the most important reasons for the resilience of the pet accessories market during the difficult economic climate. However, the market for pet accessories remains competitive and lower cost imports are a key feature in some product segments, such as toys.
Some sectors of the market have performed better than others in recent years. Care products are seen by pet owners as essential and have continued to underpin the market, with sales of grooming products also experiencing growth in recent years as a result of rising demand for premium products and higher ownership levels of specialist and cross breeds, which require more regular grooming. The toys sector has become increasingly polarised, with cheaper products offered by some outlets, but the sector has been underpinned by increasing demand for better quality and higher value products. The bedding sector has experienced a similar trend. Aquariums and other vivariums have experienced low level growth.
Future prospects for pet accessories are relatively bright and the market is forecast to experience steady growth rates until 2019. Factors expected to help underpin the market include demand for convenience, eco-friendliness and aesthetics, as well as product innovation. The gradual shift towards smaller houses and gardens may, however, restrict higher levels of growth in pet ownership in the longer term or a change in the types of pet owned.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. MARKET OVERVIEW 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET BACKGROUND 20
- 4.2.1 Overall Pet Market 21
- 4.2.2 Product Mix for Overall Pet market 22
- 4.3 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET 24
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE 25
- 4.5 CURRENT SITUATION 26
- 4.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS 29
- 4.7 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 32
- 4.7.1 Pet Ownership Levels 32
- 4.7.2 The Animal Welfare Act 34
- 4.8 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET BY TYPE OF PET 34
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 36
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 36
- 5.2 CARE PRODUCTS 37
- 5.2.1 Flea and Worm Treatments 39
- 5.2.2 Maintenance Products 46
- 5.2.3 Healthcare Supplements 51
- 5.2.4 Grooming Equipment 52
- 5.3 TOYS 53
- 5.3.1 Dog Toys 55
- 5.3.2 Cat Toys 57
- 5.3.3 Reptile and Fish Decorative Products 58
- 5.3.4 Small Animal Toys 59
- 5.3.5 Toys for Birds 60
- 5.4 HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS 60
- 5.4.1 Cages 63
- 5.4.2 Aquariums and Other Vivariums 65
- 5.4.3 Beds and Baskets 67
- 5.4.4 Hutches 68
- 5.4.5 Feeding Equipment 69
- 5.5 COLLARS, LEADS AND UTILITY PRODUCTS 71
- 5.5.1 Leads and Collars 72
- 5.5.2 Muzzles and harnesses 73
- 5.5.3 Utility Products 73
- 5.6 OTHER PRODUCTS 74
- 6. SUPPLIERS 76
- 6.1 SUPPLIER OVERVIEW 76
- 6.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 77
- 6.3 SUPPLIERS WITHIN SPECIFIC MARKET SECTORS 82
- 6.3.1 Bedding & Baskets Suppliers 82
- 6.3.2 Cat Litter Suppliers 83
- 6.3.3 Aquarium and Vivarium Suppliers 84
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 85
- 7.1 MARKET SHARE OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 85
- 7.2 PET SUPERSTORES 87
- 7.3 INDEPENDENT PET SHOPS 89
- 7.4 GROCERY MULTIPLES 89
- 7.5 GARDEN AND AQUATIC CENTRES 90
- 7.6 DIY MULTIPLES, INDEPENDENT HARDWARE & DIY STORES 91
- 7.7 MAIL ORDER, CATALOGUE AND INTERNET 92
- 7.8 OTHERS 93
- 7.9 WHOLESALERS 93
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6 TOTAL UK PET MARKET BY VALUE (£BN RSP) 2009 - 2019 21
- CHART 7 OVERALL PET MARKET PRODUCT MARKET MIX (FOOD, ACCESSORIES, VETS/INSURANCE ETC) - 2014 BY VALUE 23
- TABLE 8 UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET 2009 - 2019 (£M RSP) 26
- CHART 9 PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLDS OWNING A PET IN THE UK (CATS, DOGS, INDOOR FISH, RABBITS, BIRDS, HAMSTERS) - 2014 32
- CHART 10 THE UK'S TOP TEN PETS - 2014/15 (MILLIONS) 33
- CHART 11 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET - MIX BY TYPE OF ANIMAL BY VALUE IN 2014 (DOGS, CATS, FISH/REPTILES, SMALL ANIMALS, BIRDS) 35
- CHART 12 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE IN 2014 36
- TABLE 13 MARKET SIZE OF UK CARE PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP) 37
- CHART 14 MARKET SHARE OF CARE PRODUCTS BY TYPE OF PET - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 38
- CHART 15 PRODUCT MIX OF CARE PRODUCTS - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 (FLEA/WORM TREATMENTS, MAINTENANCE, HEALTH TREATMENTS, GROOMING) 39
- CHART 16 ANIMAL MEDICINE SALES BY TYPE OF ANIMAL (PET, FOOD PRODUCING, OTHER) - 2014 BY VALUE 40
- TABLE 17 TYPES OF FLEA TREATMENT BY VALUE 2014 (DROPS, COLLARS, SPRAYS, SHAMPOOS, OTHERS) 41
- CHART 18 TYPE OF WORM TREATMENTS BY VALUE 2014 (TABLETS, GRANULES, OTHERS) 44
- CHART 19 TYPE OF CAT LITTER (ECO-LITTERS AND 'OTHERS') BY VALUE 2014 47
- TABLE 20 UK TOYS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP) 53
- CHART 21 MARKET SHARE OF TOYS BY TYPE OF PET (CAT, DOG, REPTILE/FISH, SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD) - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 55
- TABLE 22 UK HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP) 61
- CHART 23 MARKET SHARE OF HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS BY TYPE OF PET - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 62
- CHART 24 MARKET SHARE OF HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 (CAGES, AQUARIUMS, BEDDING/BASKETS, HUTCHES ETC) 63
- TABLE 25 MARKET SHARE OF CAGES BY VALUE - 2014 (SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD & OTHERS) 64
- TABLE 26 MIX OF AQUARIUMS AND OTHER VIVARIUMS, % BY VALUE 2008- 2014 65
- TABLE 27 MARKET SIZE OF UK COLLARS, LEADS & UTILITY PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP) 71
- TABLE 28 MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE 76
- TABLE 29 MARKET SHARE OF BEDDING & BASKETS SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE 82
- TABLE 30 MARKET SHARE OF CAT LITTER SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE 83
- TABLE 31 MARKET SHARE OF AQUARIUM/ VIVARIUM SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE 84
- CHART 32 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PET ACCESSORY PRODUCTS IN 2014 86
The 'Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.