Pipes & Fittings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 25/02/2016 / Number of Pages: 71 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the 'Pipes and Fittings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' covers the domestic and light commercial applications for plumbing pipes and pipes for rainwater, soil and waste, together with associated fittings, but excluding pipes used in water utility, land drainage or other gas or telecommunications applications.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market size by value, recent performance, key trends, market influences, forecast growth to 2020.
- Product review - product mix, material mix, key trends and forecasts.
- Plumbing pipe systems - hot and cold water internal pipes and fittings, pipes and fittings for radiator heating systems and underfloor heating.
- Rainwater, soil and waste products - soil and waste pipes, traps and fittings (above ground), rainwater guttering, downpipes and fittings (above ground).
- Supply and distribution review - main suppliers, market shares, main distribution channels and key companies.
Key areas of insight include:
- Key factors influencing the market include improving levels of construction in the commercial and housing sectors, and falling raw material prices, particularly copper and oil.
- A steady shift towards plastic pipes and fittings due to costs, ease of installation and a growing product range. Other factors driving plastic sector growth include technological developments and improved reliability.
- Push-fit and press-fit fittings are increasingly popular.
- PVC-U dominates the above ground rainwater guttering, soil and waste pipework sector. Demand continues for seamless aluminium guttering and cast iron 'effect' guttering.
- Growing interest in rainwater harvesting systems, following heavy rainfall in the last two years and greater awareness of environmental concerns and water usage.
- With unpredictable rainfall patterns and climate change, there is a growth in demand for high capacity gutter systems.
- Greater focus on sustainability throughout the production and distribution chain, particularly on recycling and the use of recycled materials.
- Detailed market data and insight on the pipes and fittings market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Aden Pro Form, Aliaxis Group, Alumasc Building Products, Aluminium Roofline Products (ARP), Amazon Civils, Anglian Home Improvements, Ash & Lacy Building Systems, Blucher, Brett Martin, Brugg Pipe Systems, Buteline, CA Building Products, Conex Universal, Coppa Gutta, Crane Fluid Systems, Dales Fabrications, Durapipe, Emmeti UK, Flamco, Flex-seal, FloPlast, Freefoam Plastics, Geberit, George Fischer (GF Piping Systems), GMD Pennine, Guttercrest, Guttermaster, Halcor SA, Hall and Botterill, Hargreaves Foundry, Hunter Plastics, John Guest, JWD Rainwater Systems, Lawton Tube Co, Lindab Building Products, LK Systems, Maincor, Marley Plumbing & Drainage, McAlpine and Co, Pegler Yorkshire Group, Pipelife UK, Plastivan UK, Polypipe Building Products, Purus UK, Rehau, Saint-Gobain PAM UK, Stormguard Rainwater Systems, Stormsaver, Swish Building Products (SBP), Talon Manufacturing, Tuscan Foundry, Uponor Ltd, Wavin UK, WE Bates, Wednesbury Tube, Wieland Werke, Yeoman Rainguard, Yorkshire Copper Tube.
Market Size and Trends
- Market size by value, rates of change, trends and forecasts.
- Key influences in the market and future prospects.
- Development and influence of the domestic heating market and underfloor heating sector.
- Development of the bathroom and shower market and influence on the pipes and fittings industry.
- Key building and construction trends and influences on the pipes and fittings market, including housebuilding levels and future prospects, domestic refurbishment levels and future prospects, the influence of the conservatory and garden rooms market, trends in the self build market, the commercial building and construction market and the influence of increasing government spending in that sector.
- The changing impact of new building methods, off-site construction etc.
Product Applications, Types, Mix and Characteristics
- Plumbing pipe systems:
- Hot and cold pressurised applications for heating and for hot and cold potable water, and underfloor heating.
- Product mix of plumbing pipe and fittings and mix of plumbing pipe systems by application.
- Material mix for pipes and fittings in this sector. The differences in material used between potable water and heating applications.
- The use of copper pipe and fittings in plumbing applications; key suppliers; advantages and disadvantages of copper; shift towards flame-free jointing etc.
- Use of plastic in plumbing applications; types of plastic pipe; key suppliers; influence of barrier pipe; growth of push-fit fittings etc.
- Main suppliers and market shares for plumbing pipe systems.
- Outlook for plumbing pipe systems - forecasts for 2016 and up to 2020.
- Rainwater goods, soil & waste products:
- Product mix of rainwater and soil & waste products.
- Material mix for rainwater goods; use of different materials; advantages and disadvantages of plastic, cast iron etc; product developments; rainwater drainage and harvesting.
- Main suppliers and market shares for rainwater goods, soil and waste products.
- Outlook for rainwater goods, soil and waste products - forecasts for 2016 and up to 2020.
- Overall materials mix
- Mix of pipes and fittings by application type and by material type.
- Main suppliers overall, including market positions, key characteristics and strengths.
- Market shares for plastic pipes and fittings.
- Market shares for metal pipes and fittings.
- Comment on other suppliers and importers.
- Main distribution channels. Key companies in each of the major channels.
- Channel shares across the pipe and fittings industry.
- Changing nature of distribution in terms of greater activity through the internet and other e-commerce solutions.
- Plumbing and heating contractors and influence on the specification process.
The UK pipes and fittings market has achieved good growth over the last 3 years and is estimated to have grown by 5% in 2015. Since 2012, the market has grown by around 15%, suggesting that the market has nearly recovered to its 2007 peak. Key factors influencing the market in recent years include improving levels of construction in the commercial and housing sectors and falling raw material prices, particularly of copper and oil. The performance of the end use sectors of the pipes and fittings market has been variable in recent years, reflecting different levels of construction and RMI activity. Underfloor heating has increased in popularity between 2010 and 2015, and growth is likely to continue to have a positive impact on the market for plumbing pipe systems. With increasing pressure to conserve resources and mounting public concerns about the cost of water usage, there is a growing interest in rainwater harvesting systems.
The plumbing pipe systems sector accounts for around 60% of the pipes and fittings market, as defined in this report, while the rainwater, soil and waste products sector accounts for the remaining 40% or so. Flexible plastic plumbing pipe systems are the dominant material used in hot and cold potable water installations. The market for copper pipe has remained relatively static in recent years, although the majority of heating installations and refurbishment projects use copper pipe. There has also been steady growth in the demand for flame free fittings such as plastic push-fit and press-fit pipe fittings. Factors driving the growth of the plastic sector include technological developments and improved reliability, as well as the availability of a wider range of products and price. The focus on recycling and the use of recycled materials in the plastic sector has also increased in recent years. Other products experiencing growth include multi-layer press-fit pipes, connections, e.g. plastic and aluminium alloy.
The main channel of distribution is via the builders' merchants, which accounts for almost half of the distribution market for pipes and fittings products. This is followed by specialist plumbing/roofing/drainage distributors, DIY multiples and other independent DIY/hardware stores with significant shares, while others including internet and catalogue sales and direct sales from OEM business account for smaller shares.
The outlook for the UK pipes and fittings market in 2016 is positive, supported by the growth of new construction levels and RMI expenditure. Private housing completions are forecast to experience steady growth in the medium to longer term, while the private sector is likely to drive newbuild demand in the non-domestic market, given the cuts in the private sector. Growth sectors should include budget and luxury hotels, care homes and student accommodation. Bathroom pods are commonly used in these sectors, and offsite construction is likely to continue to grow, driven by skills shortages and the need to improve efficiency. The market is also likely to see a continued focus on sustainability and the environment, particularly in the domestic sector, something which will have an impact on the type of products and materials used. Despite the recent fall in crude oil prices the price of plastics has risen, and this may affect the plastics sector negatively in the short to medium term.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY 9
- 2.1 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. PIPES AND FITTINGS MARKET 19
- 4.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 19
- 4.2 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 21
- 4.2.1 House Building Completions 21
- 4.2.2 Mix of House Building Completions 22
- 4.2.3 House Moving Levels 24
- 4.2.4 Non-Domestic Construction 24
- 4.2.5 Off-Site Construction Methods 26
- 4.3 OTHER PIPE AND FITTINGS MARKET DRIVERS 27
- 4.3.1 Central Heating and Water Heating Market 27
- 4.3.2 Underfloor Heating Market 29
- 4.3.3 Garden Rooms and Conservatories 30
- 4.3.4 Bathroom and Shower Market 30
- 4.4 ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES 31
- 5. PRODUCTS 33
- 5.1 PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS 33
- 5.1.1 Definition 33
- 5.1.2 Market Size and Trends 33
- 5.1.3 Product and Material Mix 35
- 5.1.4 Copper Plumbing Pipe Systems 38
- 5.1.5 Plastic Plumbing Pipe Systems 41
- 5.1.6 Market Shares 44
- 5.2 RAINWATER, SOIL AND WASTE PRODUCTS 44
- 5.2.1 Definition 44
- 5.2.2 Market Size and Trends 45
- 5.2.3 Product and Material Mix 46
- 5.2.4 Rainwater Products 48
- 5.2.5 Soil and Waste Products 52
- 5.2.6 Market Shares 53
- 6. SUPPLIERS 54
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 54
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIER PROFILES 55
- 6.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 58
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 62
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION MIX 62
- 7.2 BUILDERS MERCHANTS/SPECIALISTS 63
- 7.2.1 National Merchants 63
- 7.2.2 Large Regional Merchants/Specialists 66
- 7.3 DIY MULTIPLES 69
- 7.4 OTHER DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 69
- 7.5 PLUMBERS AND HEATING CONTRACTORS 70
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK PIPES AND FITTINGS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2020 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6 UK PIPES AND FITTINGS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2020 19
- TABLE 7 UK PIPES AND FITTINGS MARKET - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 (£M MSP) 21
- CHART 8 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2010 TO 2016 - GREAT BRITAIN ('000) 22
- CHART 9 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2010-2015 23
- TABLE 10 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2010 TO 2016 ('000) 24
- CHART 11 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2011 -2020 25
- TABLE 12 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY/GLAZED EXTENSIONS MARKET 2011 -2018 (£M RSP) 30
- TABLE 13 UK PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2020 33
- CHART 14 PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 (PIPES AND FITTINGS) 35
- CHART 15 PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE 2015 (COPPER, PLASTIC, ALLOY ETC) 36
- CHART 16 UK PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS - MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION % SHARE BY VALUE 2015 37
- CHART 17 CENTRAL HEATING AND POTABLE WATER PIPE SYSTEMS - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE 2015 38
- TABLE 18 COPPER PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS - ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES 39
- CHART 19 PLASTIC PLUMBING PIPE - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 42
- TABLE 20 PLASTIC PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS - ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES 43
- TABLE 21 PLUMBING PIPE SYSTEMS - MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 44
- TABLE 22 UK RAINWATER, SOIL AND WASTE PRODUCTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2020 45
- CHART 23 RAINWATER AND SOIL & WASTE PRODUCTS - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 47
- CHART 24 RAINWATER PRODUCTS - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE 2015 (PLASTIC, ALUMINIUM, CAST IRON ETC) 47
- CHART 25 SOIL AND WASTE PRODUCTS - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE 2015 48
- TABLE 26 PLASTIC RAINWATER PRODUCTS - ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES 49
- TABLE 27 CAST IRON RAINWATER PRODUCTS - ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES 50
- TABLE 28 RAINWATER, SOIL AND WASTE PRODUCTS - MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 53
- TABLE 29 UK SUPPLIERS OF PLASTIC PIPES AND FITTINGS - MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 54
- TABLE 30 UK SUPPLIERS OF METAL PIPES AND FITTINGS - MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 54
- CHART 31 DISTRIBUTION OF PIPES AND FITTINGS - MIX BY CHANNEL 2015 62
- CHART 32 MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2015 MIX BY CHANNEL 2015 63
- CHART 33 UK VAT REGISTERED PLUMBING AND HEATING CONTRACTORS 2015 70
The 'Pipes & Fittings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.