Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 23/09/2016 / Number of Pages: 81 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 2nd edition of the 'Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' provides an informed and up-to-date review of this marketplace, with forecasts to 2020 considering major market influences such as Brexit. It contains over 80 pages of industry analysis and illustrates the diverse nature of this industry, recent performance and the development of competitive channels, such as the Internet and DIY multiples. Product groups covered include; plumbing & drainage (including bathroom products), heating, ventilation & air conditioning & kitchen furniture, worktops and appliances.
Key content covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure and recent developments within the market.
- Market prospects to 2020 - market value, opportunities, Brexit etc.
- Detailed information - market size, influencing, market factors, key players and merchants' customers.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and merchants' market share are covered for plumbing & drainage (including bathroom products), heating, ventilation & air conditioning & kitchen furniture, worktops and appliances.
Key areas of insight:
- Analysis of market size and a comprehensive review of key factors and trends influencing the market - impact of construction trends, economic environment, consumer expenditure and purchasing trends - and the likely impact of Brexit etc.
- Market performance prospects from 2016 to 2020 - construction forecasts by key end-use market, key influences and development of merchant activities, opportunities etc.
- Review of leading national plumbers merchants and other key regional merchants.
- Identification of key customer groups in merchants' market - the performance of merchants and DIY multiples, influence of Internet sales.
- Review of market structure - supply chain analysis for lightside product distribution.
Some of the companies included:
AW Lumb, Beesley & Fildes, Bradfords Building Supplies, C&W Berry, Carvers Building Supplies, Crossling, David Cover, EH Smith, Elliott Brothers, FORTIS, Grafton Group, Grant & Stone, H&B Group, Haldane Fisher, HPS (Heating Plumbing Supplies), Huws Gray, IBC Buying Group, IPG, James Hargreaves, John Nicholls, Joseph Parr Group, JT Atkinsons & Sons, JT Dove, Kent Blaxill & Co, Lawsons (Whetstone), LBS Builders Merchants, MKM Building Supplies, MP Moran & Sons, National Buying Group (NBG), Nicholls & Clarke Group, Parker Building Supplies, Plumbcity, Plumbing and Heating Group (PHG), RGB Building Supplies, Ridgeons, Robert Price, Saint-Gobain, Screwfix Direct, Smiths Brothers Stores, STC Plumbing and Heating Merchants, Sydenhams, The National Merchant Buying Society (NMBS), Travis Perkins, Walter Tipper, Williams Trade Supplies, Wolseley.
The Plumbers Merchants
- Leading national merchants - turnover, company structure, review of recent performance, market share.
- Regional merchants - identification of key players, turnover, main product areas and branch numbers.
- Buying groups - increasing importance in the merchants' market and identification of the main groups.
- Merchants' characteristics - product ranges, profitability.
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the merchant sector.
The Plumbers Merchants Market
- The merchants' market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2011-2015, trends and forecasts from 2016-2020.
- Dominance by national merchants - market mix by merchant type.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development.
- Identification of merchants' main customers.
- Product pricing trends in the industry.
- Review of market structure - lightside product distribution.
- Merchants' share of construction output and how this has changed in recent years.
Products and Suppliers in the Merchants Market
- Product groups reviewed: bathroom products, shower products, pipes and fittings, kitchen furniture and appliances, domestic heating, ventilation and air conditioning, non-domestic space and water heating.
- Product mix for plumbers' merchants in 2015.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2011-2015, with forecast to 2016 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Forecast of expected market development - short term prospects in 2016 and medium term prospects up to 2020.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy post EU Referendum, housebuilding, consumer confidence & spending.
- Outlook for the plumbers' merchants' market through to 2020 and key drivers.
The plumbers merchant market was worth around estimated £4bn in 2015, having recovered strongly from the economic crisis, which saw value reach a low point in 2012. The Plumbers merchants market declined during 2011 and 2012, however the fall was less severe compared to the market slump experienced in 2008-2009, when it declined by over 20%. As the construction sector began to recover, primarily from 2013 onwards, demand increased across both New Work and RMI activity, leading to greater demand for plumbing materials, as well as bathroom and shower products. This growth was experienced across most construction sub-sectors, including housing and commercial sectors, e.g. offices, retail and entertainment and leisure. Growth has been particularly strong during the past 2 years.
Price competition remains fierce, which may influence margins going forward. In order to differentiate themselves, some plumbers merchants have invested in improving the overall customer experience through enhanced service, such as extended opening times, greater availability of stock and heightened promotional activity. Many have also expanded their online presence, to ensure that they compete with rising internet sales. Consolidation has been a feature of the marketplace in recent years, as nationals have acquired smaller regional operations in order to extend their reach and range of services. Regional and independent merchants have performed well, with some expanding their number of branches in order to improve their product offering and stock levels to meet local needs. This has been coupled with a focus on facilities which appeal to the public, not just the trade, such as bathroom and kitchen showrooms.
The outcome of the EU Referendum means it is extremely difficult to forecast the impact on the economy in the long term. Negotiations have yet to take place and new trade deals, both within and outside the EU, have yet to be determined. All of this may ultimately affect the development of the economy in the short to medium term. At present, the price of imported goods has increased due to exchange rate fluctuations. This has impacted the plumbing and building products and materials sector and will contribute to an uplift in value in the short term. This is likely to include a significant number of product sectors in the Plumbers merchants market. Several economic forecasts suggest that the UK economy will start to slow, with business and consumer confidence affected, potentially with GDP growth of only 1% in 2017 and 2018. The situation may improve after this, depending upon successful trade negotiations.
While there are indications of a slowdown in growth in the housing and commercial sectors in mid-2016, the plumbers merchants market is still forecast to increase by around 4% compared with 2015. However, the market value remains below levels seen in 2007. Long term demand for housing is likely to be a key driver supporting the plumbers merchant market. The growth of multi-channel merchanting will continue, which combines both physical premises with an online store, thereby providing multiple routes to market.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 5
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE PLUMBERS MERCHANTS' MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 PRODUCT RANGE 18
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE 18
- 4.3.1 Lightside/Plumbing Product Distribution 19
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE & RECENT PERFORMANCE 21
- 4.4.1 Market Prospects - 2016 to 2020 23
- 4.5 MERCHANTS' SHARE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 25
- 4.6 BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION MARKET INFLUENCES 26
- 4.6.1 Overall Construction Market 26
- 4.6.2 The Housing Market 29
- 4.6.3 Additional Factors Influencing the Merchants' Market 32
- 5. THE PLUMBERS MERCHANTS 35
- 5.1 MARKET SHARE 35
- 5.2 MERCHANT COMPANIES 37
- 5.2.1 National Merchants 37
- 5.2.2 Large Regional Merchants 44
- 5.2.3 Medium and Small Size Regionals 48
- 5.2.4 Local Merchants 52
- 5.2.5 Buying Groups 52
- 5.3. CHARACTERISTICS OF PLUMBERS MERCHANTS 54
- 5.3.1 Product Range 54
- 5.3.2 Pricing and Prices 55
- 5.4 MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS 56
- 5.5 MERCHANTS' COMPETITORS 58
- 5.6. MERCHANTS' CUSTOMERS 59
- 5.6.1 House Builders/General Builders 59
- 5.6.2 Commercial Construction 60
- 5.6.3 Plumbing and Heating Contractors 61
- 5.6.4 Mechanical and Electrical Contractors 62
- 5.6.5 Local Authorities, Public Bodies including HA/RSL/ALMOS 63
- 5.6.6 Other Customers 63
- 6. PRODUCT REVIEW 64
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 64
- 6.2 MERCHANT SHARES BY PRODUCT 65
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 65
- 6.3.1 Plumbing and Drainage Materials 65
- 6.3.2 Heating and Ventilation 72
- 6.3.3 Kitchen Products 77
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET, 2011 - 2020, BY VALUE, £M AT MERCHANTS SELLING PRICES 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR LIGHTSIDE PLUMBING PRODUCTS 20
- TABLE 7 UK PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 22
- TABLE 8 EXAMPLES OF LEADING UK IMPORTED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS IN 2015 BY VALUE (£ MILLION) 23
- TABLE 9 PLUMBERS MERCHANTS SHARE OF UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (EXCLUDING INFRASTRUCTURE) 2011 TO 2020 (£ BILLION CURRENT PRICES) 26
- CHART 10 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - KEY SECTORS, ANNUAL OUTPUT (CURRENT PRICES) INDEX 2011 = 100, 2011 - 2016 (FORECAST) 27
- CHART 11 GROWTH FORECASTS OF END-USE SECTORS OF MERCHANTS' MARKET, % CHANGE 2016 - 2020 28
- CHART 12 HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS (UK) BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS 2011 - 2020 30
- TABLE 13 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020 32
- CHART 14 KEY PLUMBERS MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES, 2015 36
- TABLE 15 SHARE OF THE NATIONAL MERCHANTS VS REGIONAL/LOCAL MERCHANTS 2001-2015 % VALUE 37
- TABLE 16 KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS/PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET - TRAVIS PERKINS PLC (PLUMBING & HEATING DIVISION) 39
- TABLE 17 KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS/PLUMBERS MERCHANT MARKET - WOLSELEY UK 40
- TABLE 18 KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS/PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET - SAINT GOBAIN (JEWSON & GRAHAM), 2011 - 2015 42
- TABLE 19 KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS/PLUMBERS MERCHANT MARKET - GRAFTON GROUP PLC, 2011-2015 43
- TABLE 20 LEADING REGIONAL/LOCAL MERCHANT COMPANIES - TURNOVER, BRANCHES ETC 2014/2015 51
- TABLE 21 PERCENTAGE CHANGE OF PRICE INDICES OF SELECTED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, ANNUAL AVERAGE 2011-2015 (%) 55
- TABLE 22 PLUMBERS MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS 57
- TABLE 23 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDINGS REGISTERED FOR VAT & PAYE EMPLOYERS BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2015 60
- TABLE 24 PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT & PAYE EMPLOYERS BY TURNOVER BAND 2015 61
- CHART 25 PLUMBERS MERCHANTS PRODUCT MIX 2015 64
- TABLE 26 BUILDERS & PLUMBERS MERCHANTS SHARE OF KEY MARKET SECTORS AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES £M 2015 65
- CHART 28 UK BATHS AND SANITARYWARE - % MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION, 2015 67
- CHART 29 PRODUCT MIX FOR PLUMBING, BATHROOM AND SHOWER PRODUCTS - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANTS SELLING PRICES) 2015 69
- CHART 30 THE HEATING AND VENTILATION MARKET 2011 TO 2016 - BY VALUE - £MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES 73
- CHART 31 PRODUCT MIX HEATING AND VENTILATION - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 2015 75
- TABLE 32 MERCHANTS SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR - HEATING & VENTILATION PRODUCTS 2015 % BY VALUE 76
- CHART 33 THE DOMESTIC KITCHEN FURNITURE & APPLIANCES MARKET- BY VALUE - £ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES 2011-2016 78
- CHART 34 PRODUCT MIX KITCHEN FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 2015 80
- TABLE 35 MERCHANTS' SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR - KITCHEN FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES 2015 % BY VALUE 81
The 'Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.