Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 21/08/2018 / Number of Pages: 67 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2018-2022' covers plumbing & drainage (including bathroom products), heating, ventilation & air conditioning, kitchens & bathrooms. The report illustrates the diverse nature of this industry, recent performance and the development of competitive channels such as the Internet and DIY multiples.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure and recent developments within the market.
- Market prospects to 2022 - market value, opportunities, Brexit etc.
- Detailed information - market size, influencing, market factors, key players and merchants' customers.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and merchants' market share are covered for plumbing & drainage (including bathroom products), heating, ventilation & air conditioning & kitchen furniture, and appliances.
Areas of particular interest:
- Analysis of market size and a comprehensive review of key factors and trends influencing the market - impact of construction trends, economic environment, consumer expenditure and purchasing trends - and the likely impact of Brexit etc.
- Market performance prospects from 2018 to 2022 - construction forecasts by key end-use market, key influences and development of merchant activities, opportunities etc.
- Review of leading national plumbers merchants and other key regional merchants.
- Identification of key customer groups in merchants' market - the performance of merchants and DIY multiples, influence of Internet sales.
- Review of market structure - supply chain analysis for lightside product distribution.
Some of the companies included are:
Bradfords Building Supplies, C&W Berry, Carvers (Wolverhampton), Crossling, David Cover & Son, EH Smith, Elliott Brothers (Elliots), Grafton, Grant & Stone, Haldane Fisher, HPS (Heating Plumbing Supplies), Huws Gray, James Hargreaves, John Nicholls (Trading), Joseph Parr Group, JT Atkinson & Sons, JT Dove, Kent Blaxill & Co, Lawsons (Whetstone), Robert Price, MKM Building Supplies, MP Moran & Sons, N&C Building Products, Parker Building Supplies, Rawle Gammon & Baker, Ridgeons, Saint Gobain, Smith Brothers Stores, STC Plumbing and Heating Merchants, Sydenhams, Travis Perkins, Williams Trade Supplies, Wolseley and more .....
THE PLUMBERS MERCHANTS
- Leading national merchants - turnover, company structure, review of recent performance, market share.
- Regional merchants - identification of key players, turnover, main product areas and branch numbers.
- Buying groups - increasing importance in the merchants' market and identification of the main groups.
- Merchants' characteristics - product ranges, profitability.
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the merchant sector.
THE PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET
- The merchants' market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2013-2017, trends and forecasts from 2018-2022.
- Dominance by national merchants - market mix by merchant type.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development.
- Identification of merchants' main customers.
- Product pricing trends in the industry.
- Review of market structure - lightside product distribution.
- Merchants' share of construction output and how this has changed in recent years.
PRODUCTS AND SUPPLIERS IN THE MERCHANTS MARKET
- Product groups reviewed: heating, ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing & drainage products, bathroom products and kitchen products.
- Product mix for plumbers merchants in 2017.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2013-2017, with forecast to 2018 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Key brassware and tap suppliers by product sector - bathroom brassware, kitchen taps, TMVs, kitchen water systems.
- Market shares by value of leading bathroom and tap suppliers, including company profile, strengths.
- Other key suppliers, by product sector - company profiles of 60+ other suppliers.
- Distribution channel shares - merchants, home improvement multiples, kitchen and bathroom retail specialists, online retailers, direct supply, grocery and furniture multiples, department stores etc.
- Distribution trends and key companies per channel.
The overall trend in recent years has been positive, although the market experienced some difficulties in 2016 to mid-2017 which constrained growth. Early indications for 2018 are for a continuation of the modest recovery experienced from Q3 2017, although there is still a degree of restructuring activity, as major players adapt to changing conditions and a slowing of growth in some key end use sectors.
The plumbing and heating sector has faced challenges, and the major nationals have responded to difficulties in the underlying market by restructuring and streamlining their operations. This has included a significant number of branch closures, as well as the opening of new, more efficient style, outlets, the enhancing of online and/or multi-channel offerings, and a stronger focus on updating digital technologies. The focus on e-commerce has helped to offset some of the shift to internet-only distributors. Skills shortages remain critical and are a major concern in the plumbing and heating sector, with the skills gap said to be one of the biggest threats facing the UK's plumbing industry. Small and medium businesses in particular are feeling the pressure.
The market, which comprises national, regional and local merchants, is dominated by four major merchant organisations. These firms operate via a number of subsidiaries, each supplying a range of plumbing and building products. The main competitors for the merchants are the home improvement retail and specialist outlets, as well as manufacturers and suppliers that deal direct with the construction trade. There has been strong competition from alternative suppliers, particularly online companies, retail outlets and DIY multiples. This is being driven by a shift in customers' buying behaviour, with growing demand for online shopping via PCs and laptops as well as via mobile phones and tablets. For example, demand for facilities such as click & collect is rising.
Future prospects for plumbers' merchants are relatively positive, although current political uncertainties surrounding the UK's exit from the EU and the consequences in terms of trade, business investment and the availability of skilled labour are already affecting growth and will continue to do so in the short to medium term.
List of contents
1.1 INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET STRUCTURE 19
- 4.2.1 Lightside/Plumbing Product Distribution 21
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 22
- 4.4 MERCHANTS' SHARE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 26
- 4.5 BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION MARKET INFLUENCES 27
- 4.5.1 Overall Construction Market 27
- 4.5.2 The Housing Market 29
- 5. THE PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 31
- 5.1 MARKET SHARE 31
- 5.2 MERCHANT COMPANIES 33
- 5.2.1 National Merchants 33
- 5.2.2 Large Regional Merchants 38
- 5.2.3 Medium and Small Size Regionals 40
- 5.2.4 Local Merchants 43
- 5.2.5 Buying Groups 44
- 5.3. CHARACTERISTICS OF PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 46
- 5.3.1 Product Range 46
- 5.3.2 Pricing and Prices 46
- 5.4 MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS 47
- 5.5 MERCHANTS' COMPETITORS 49
- 5.6. MERCHANTS' CUSTOMERS 49
- 5.6.1 Plumbing and Heating Contractors 50
- 5.6.2 Housebuilders/General Builders 51
- 5.6.3 Commercial Construction 52
- 5.6.4 Mechanical and Electrical Contractors 54
- 5.6.5 Local Authorities, Public Bodies including HA/RSL/ALMOS 54
- 5.6.6 Other Customers 55
- 6. PRODUCT REVIEW 56
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 56
- 6.2 MERCHANTS' SHARES BY PRODUCT 57
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 57
- 6.3.1 Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) 57
- 6.3.2 Plumbing & Drainage products 61
- 6.3.3 Bathroom products 62
- 6.3.4 Kitchen Products 65
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS MARKET 2013 - 2022 BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: CHANGE IN PRODUCT CATEGORY DEFINITIONS 18
- CHART 7: BUILDING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 19
- TABLE 8: UK PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS MARKET 2013 - 2022 BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 22
- TABLE 9: LEADING UK IMPORTED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS 2017 BY VALUE (£M) 24
- TABLE 10: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS SHARE OF UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (EXCLUDING INFRASTRUCTURE) 2013 TO 2022 (£BN) 26
- CHART 11: UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - KEY SECTORS, ANNUAL OUTPUT (CURRENT PRICES) INDEX 2013 = 100, 2011 - 2018 27
- CHART 12: HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND, WALES, SCOTLAND) BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS 2013 - 2022 29
- TABLE 13: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013 -2022 30
- CHART 14: KEY PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2018 32
- TABLE 15: SHARE OF THE NATIONAL MERCHANTS VS REGIONAL/LOCAL MERCHANTS 2001-2018 (% BY VALUE) 33
- TABLE 16: KEY INDICATORS- TRAVIS PERKINS (PLUMBING & HEATING DIVISION) 34
- TABLE 17: KEY INDICATORS - WOLSELEY UK 36
- TABLE 18: KEY INDICATORS - GRAFTON GROUP 37
- TABLE 19: CHANGE OF PRICE INDICES OF SELECTED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, ANNUAL AVERAGES 2013-2017 (%) 47
- TABLE 20: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS 48
- TABLE 21: PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT & PAYE EMPLOYERS BY TURNOVER BAND 2017 50
- TABLE 22: UK ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDINGS REGISTERED FOR VAT & PAYE EMPLOYERS BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2017 51
- TABLE 23: TOP 10 CONTRACTORS IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR (BY NUMBER & VALUE OF CONTRACTS AWARDED) 2016-17 53
- CHART 24: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS PRODUCT MIX 2017 56
- TABLE 25: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' SHARE OF PRODUCT MARKETS (£M MERCHSP) 2017 57
- CHART 26: THE HVAC MARKET 2013 TO 2018 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 58
- CHART 27: PRODUCT MIX HVAC - % BY VALUE 2018 59
- TABLE 28: PLUMBING AND DRAINAGE MATERIALS, MERCHANT SALES AT £M MERCHANT SELLING PRICES, 2013 - 2018 61
- CHART 29: PRODUCT MIX FOR THE PLUMBING & DRAINAGE MARKET - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 2018 62
- TABLE 30: BATHROOM PRODUCTS, MERCHANT SALES (£M MERCHSP) 2013 - 2018 63
- CHART 31: PRODUCT MIX FOR BATHROOMS - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANTS SELLING PRICES) 2018 64
- CHART 32: THE DOMESTIC KITCHEN PRODUCTS MARKET- BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 2013-2018 65
- CHART 33: PRODUCT MIX KITCHEN FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 2018 66
The 'Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2018-2021' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .