Plumbing Contractors Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 05/02/2015 / Number of Pages: 72 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the first edition of the brand new title 'Plumbing Contractors Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis', which quantifies the existing market for plumbing contracting services and provides a thorough review of the structure and performance of the market in 2014 and beyond.
This unique report provides both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the plumbing contracting sector and represents an invaluable guide to the overall market for sales and marketing professionals involved in the construction or specialist contracting industries. Focusing on market size and trends, important market influences, key end use sectors and future prospects, the report is comprehensive, informative and will facilitate operational and strategic decision-making processes.
Core content in the report:
- Market Structure
- Market Size and Key Trends
- Future Prospects
- Regional Analysis
- Key Influencing Factors - e.g construction output etc.
- Legislation & Regulations
- Corporate Activity, Profitability Levels
Key drivers for growth include construction and housing market growth, including both the rising level of new housing and RMI expenditure and changing legislation in the heating and ventilation sector. Factors likely to restrict growth in the short to medium term include a shortage of skilled workers, although these skills shortages could drive higher contract rates in the short term. Future prospects for the plumbing contracting market are relatively bright, providing the overall construction market continues to improve. Indications for 2015 are positive and it is estimated that the market will achieve value growth of around 6% during the year.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Thorough review of the structure of the sector.
- Regional analysis incorporating construction output, trends in the number of enterprises and leading organisations in each region.
- Key legislation and regulations affecting the market.
- Analysis of leading plumbing contractor firms.
- Market structure, including number of enterprises, geographical coverage, profitability analysis.
Plumbing Contracting Market
- Definition and Market Overview - the size of plumbing contractors and type of work undertaken.
- Market Performance - market size in value terms, growth levels between 2009-2015.
- Key Trends - market drivers and key factors for change and market development.
- Future Prospects - market size and growth projections to 2019, key drivers and opportunities. Factors influencing the sector, such as housing growth, greater number of bathrooms per home, shift to higher value products etc.
Key Market Trends and Influences
- Review of past, current and future non-domestic construction activity in the UK.
- Analysis of current and forecast housing market activity - value, starts and completions.
- Information about legislation and standards affecting the market.
- Review of current and future product development opportunities.
- Market Size - number of businesses, number of employees.
- Sector Profile - breakdown by turnover, number of employees, age of business and revenue.
- Geographical Coverage - analysis by UK region.
- Service Review - review of services offered by plumbing contractors.
- Profitability Analysis - average profit margin development between 2009 and 2014.
- Overview and regional shares for plumbing contracting and construction output, by UK region.
- Key influences and future prospects in each region.
- Profile of each region - number of employees in plumbing trades and trends between 2010-2013.
- Leading regional players - brief description and turnover figures.
- Market Share - relative size of leading companies involved in the plumbing contracting market.
- Contractor Profiles - extensive section providing company overview, key sectors, turnover and profit figures for companies with a turnover of up to £10m, £10-20m and £20m+ brackets.
Heating & Plumbing Products
- A brief review of market size and product trends within key product sectors including bathroom products, shower products, kitchen furniture and appliances, heating products and the pipes and fittings sector.
Plumbing Contractors Market SizeThe plumbing contractors market was estimated to be valued at around £14.7bn in 2014, having seen good levels of over the last two years. The plumbing contracting sector weathered the economic downturn fairly well compared with other construction sectors, due to the fact that a large share of work is made up of repair and maintenance, which is generally more resilient than work within the newbuild sector. In addition, plumbing installations cover a number of non-domestic sectors, in addition to housing, and some of these, in particular the public sectors, continued to perform relatively well into the recession due to continued government investment to support the construction industry.
The market experienced a slight improvement in 2010 and again in 2011, however, value was inflated by widespread material cost increases within some plumbing product sectors, particularly those related to copper. In addition, spending cuts within the public sector had started to come into effect and the value growth could not be sustained, leading to a decline in the plumbing contracting market during 2012. The situation was more positive in 2013 and while the economic situation remained relatively fragile, there were positive signs during 2014 - business confidence improved and construction activity increased sharply, particularly in the housing sector.
The key occupational roles across the plumbing contracting sector include general plumbing and bathroom installations (mostly domestic), gas installation and maintenance, refrigeration and air conditioning, and heating and ventilation. Employment in the plumbing and heating sector is expected to increase across England, Scotland and Wales. There are currently skills shortages for fully qualified plumbers, which should increase labour costs and support value growth across the contracting sector in the short to medium term.
Future prospects for the plumbing contracting market are relatively bright, providing the construction market in general continues to improve. Indications for 2015 are positive and it is hoped the market will achieve value growth of around 6% during the year. In the medium to longer term, while the pace of growth is likely to have slowed by 2016/2017, it is expected that the plumbing contracting market will be worth £17.1bn by the end of the forecast period.
Opportunities for growth are likely to be found in the new housing sector, which is currently being driven by rising prices, increased mortgage lending, as well as a growing uptake of the government's 'Help to Buy' programme. In the existing housing sector, the changes to the stamp duty levels along with growing consumer confidence and spending, should support increased RMI expenditure.
It is likely that as the economy improves and consumer confidence grows, an increasing number of consumers will begin to focus on higher value, big ticket projects such as kitchens and bathrooms. This is perhaps already the case in London and the south east and other areas which have experienced high property value growth. Consumers have become more knowledgeable and design-focused when upgrading kitchens and bathrooms and are now more likely to influence both product choice and design and purchasing sources.
Other potential areas of growth include the installation of additional bathrooms, e.g. en suite and cloakrooms into properties, along with kitchen extensions and utility rooms. Additional plumbing installations in the new build sector should also offer replacement and RMI opportunities for plumbing contractors in the longer term, with new homes often including multiple bathrooms, cloakrooms and utility rooms etc. In the non-residential sector the growth of added-value features such as inclusive bathroom products should also support the industry value.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE UK PLUMBING CONTRACTING MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 18
- 4.2.1 Current Situation 20
- 4.2.2 Future Prospects 21
- 4.3 MARKET MIX 22
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 23
- 4.4.1 Construction Output 23
- 4.4.2 Legislation and Standards 28
- 5. REGIONAL ANALYSIS - PLUMBING CONTRACTORS 31
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 31
- 5.2 THE NORTH OF ENGLAND 32
- 5.3 THE MIDLANDS 35
- 5.4 EAST OF ENGLAND 36
- 5.5 LONDON & THE SOUTH EAST 38
- 5.6 THE SOUTH WEST 40
- 5.7 WALES 42
- 5.8 SCOTLAND 44
- 5.9 NORTHERN IRELAND 46
- 6. MARKET STRUCTURE 47
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 47
- 6.2 COMPANY SIZE 47
- 6.3 GEOGRAPHICAL COVERAGE 49
- 6.4 SERVICE OFFERING 50
- 6.5 PROFITABILITY 51
- 7. CONTRACTOR REVIEW 53
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 53
- 7.2 LEADING PLUMBING CONTRACTING COMPANIES 53
- 7.3 PLUMBING CONTRACTOR PROFILES 54
- 7.3.1 Plumbing Contractors - £25-50m+ Estimated Plumbing Turnover 54
- 7.3.2 Plumbing Contractors - £10-25m+ Estimated Plumbing Turnover 56
- 7.3.3 Plumbing Contractors - £5-10m+ Estimated Plumbing Turnover 62
- 8. HEATING & PLUMBING PRODUCTS 64
- 8.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 64
- 8.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 65
- 8.2.1 Bathroom Products 65
- 8.2.2 Shower Products 67
- 8.2.3 Heating Products 68
- 8.2.4 Kitchen Products 71
- 8.2.5 Pipes & Fittings 72
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK PLUMBING CONTRACTOR MARKET 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2011-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 10
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 12
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 13
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6 UK PLUMBING CONTRACTING MARKET 2009 TO 2019 BY VALUE (£BN) 18
- CHART 7 MIX BY TYPE OF PROJECT (NEW BUILD, RMI / REFURBISHMENT) % BY VALUE 2014 22
- CHART 8 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2009 -2019 23
- CHART 9 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR H1 2014 24
- CHART 10 RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI 2009 TO 2013 AND FORECASTS TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN CURRENT PRICES) 25
- CHART 11 GB HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS) 2007 - 2019 26
- CHART 12 UK PLUMBING CONTRACTING REGIONAL SHARES BY VALUE - 2014 30
- CHART 13 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - GB REGIONAL SHARES BY VALUE - 2014 31
- CHART 14 PUBLIC / PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 - NORTH OF ENGLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 32
- TABLE 15 NORTH OF ENGLAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 33
- CHART 16 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 IN THE MIDLANDS - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 34
- TABLE 17 MIDLANDS - ENGLAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 35
- CHART 18 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 IN THE EAST OF ENGLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 36
- TABLE 19 EAST OF ENGLAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 37
- CHART 20 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 IN LONDON & THE SOUTH EAST - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 38
- TABLE 21 LONDON AND SOUTH EAST ENGLAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 39
- CHART 22 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 IN THE SOUTH WEST OF ENGLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 40
- TABLE 23 SOUTH WEST ENGLAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 41
- CHART 24 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 IN WALES - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 42
- TABLE 25 WALES - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 43
- CHART 26 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008 - 2014 IN SCOTLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 43
- TABLE 27 SCOTLAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 44
- TABLE 28 NORTHERN IRELAND - VOLUME OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING ENTERPRISES 2010 & 2013 45
- CHART 29 NUMBER OF VAT REGISTERED FIRMS INVOLVED IN PLUMBING, HEATING AND AC INSTALLATION WORK; AVERAGE NUMBER EMPLOYEES 2008-2013 ('000) 46
- TABLE 30 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN PLUMBING, HEATING AND AC INSTALLATION REG. FOR VAT BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE BAND 2013 47
- TABLE 31 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN PLUMBING INSTALLATION REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER SIZE - 2013 47
- CHART 32 TOTAL REVENUE OF VAT REGISTERED FIRMS INVOLVED IN PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING INSTALLATION £BN - 2009-2015 48
- CHART 33 VAT REGISTERED BUSINESSES INVOLVED IN PLUMBING, HEATING AND AC INSTALLATION WORK BY REGION (%) - 2013 49
- CHART 34 PLUMBING CONTRACTORS' AVERAGE PROFIT MARGINS 2009-2014 (%) 51
- CHART 35 REVENUE MIX OF LEADING PLUMBING CONTRACTORS £M % SHARE 2014 52
- TABLE 36 HEATING AND PLUMBING MARKET BY PRODUCT CATEGORY 2013 & 2014 (£M DSP) 63
The 'Plumbing Contractors Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.