Pond Equipment Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis
Published: 15/07/2011 / Number of Pages: 71 / Price:
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 5th Edition of 'Pond Equipment Market Report - 2011-2015 Analysis' - incorporating original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed review of the market. While the sector has experienced a difficult period in 2009-10, medium term prospects are for steady recovery in the market, reflecting the lasting appeal of water features for many UK homeowners.
Key sectors included:
- Pond liners and underlay.
- Pre-formed ponds and watercourses.
- Other ponds, such as concrete and raised ponds.
- Pumps and filtration systems, including filters, ultra-violet clarifiers and combined units.
- Self-contained water features.
- Pond accessories, such as pond treatments, fish food, pond vacuums, pond protectors etc.
The report has been compiled by marketing professionals with a background in the building and home improvement products industry, and assesses the market in both qualitative and quantitative terms. This is a unique report assessing developments in this market in terms of market value; trends; product mix; supply and distribution structures; key influencing factors; as well as offering forecasts for future market size and narrative on possible future developments up to 2015.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Overall market trends and key product sectors.
- Review of key market influences and trends.
- Analysis of key product sectors and sub-sectors - key areas of growth, future prospects etc.
- Comprehensive review of supply and distribution structures - changes in supply structure.
- Market forecasts for 2011-12 and medium term prospects through to 2015.
- Detailed market data and insight on the pond equipment market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Companies and brands included:
ALF (Aquatic Distributors) Ltd, Barton Grange Garden Centres, Blagdon, Blue Diamond Ltd, Britain's Aquatic Superstore Ltd, Carlisle SynTec, Cloverleaf, Country Homes and Gardens, Dobbies Garden Centres plc, Firestone Building Products, Fish Mate, Garden & Leisure Group, Gordon Low Products Ltd, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier Garden Centres, Hozelock Cyprio, Interpet Ltd, J & K Aquatics, Klondyke Garden Centres, Laguna, Maidenhead Aquatics, Messner, Nishikoi Aquaculture Ltd, Notcutts Ltd, OAL Water Garden Products Ltd, Oase (UK) Limited, Oasis, Otter Nurseries, Pet Mate Ltd, Scotsdales Nursery and Garden Centre, SealEco, Solus Garden & Leisure, Squire's Garden Centres, Stephens Plastics Ltd , Tetra (UK) Ltd, The Garden Centre Group, Ubbink Garden BV, UK Waterproofing Solutions, Van Hage, Webbs Garden Centres, World of Water.
- Market overview of pond equipment market - definition; market background; key trends.
- Market size - analysis of size by value 2005-2110.
- Review of key market influences - housing completions; property transactions; and levels of household consumption.
- Impact of the current economic downturn on the pond equipment market, contrasted with the medium term trends.
- Market forecasts - 2011-2015. Review of key factors influencing future prospects.
- Overview - share by value 2010 between pumps, ponds, filtration systems, pond accessories and water features.
- Ponds - sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; % mix by value between liners/underlay, pre-formed ponds and 'others' (e.g. concrete, raised ponds); key influencing factors; share in liner sector between rubber and plastic; shares in pre-formed sector between plastic and glass fibre; market characteristics; major manufacturers; current/future trends and key influencing factors.
- Pumps - sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; mix share in pump sector according to pump flow rates; key influencing factors; key influencing factors and trends.
- Filtration systems - sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; share in filtration sector according to main sectors of filters, UV clarifiers and combined units; key influencing factors; growth of market due to a wider awareness of benefits of filtration; future prospects.
- Water Features - (watercourses, self-contained water features, ornamental fountains, etc); sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; key influencing factors.
- Pond Accessories (treatments, lighting, pond seals and primers, fish food, pond vacuums, etc); sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; key influencing factors.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Overview - major suppliers; product ranges offered; market shares.
- Analysis of leading suppliers within each product sector - share by product group, growth companies, products / market positioning.
- Review of leading suppliers - including turnover, product ranges, etc.
- Distribution structure for pond equipment - market shares by major channels (specialist aquatic/water garden centres, garden centres, direct selling/mail order/Internet, DIY multiples, Landscape Contractors, wholesalers, etc.
- Review of key channels - major players; growing/declining sectors; key trends.
- Future prospects for the overall pond equipment market - market size forecasts; factors affecting this forecast; economic factors; trends in terms of product mix, innovation and development, supply and distribution, etc.
- Key influencing factors in market - economic, social, pond ownership etc.
In 2007, the UK market for pond equipment began to suffer from an adverse economic environment and falling consumer confidence. Poor summer weather, e.g. 2010, has also hindered this sector as generally people will be more reluctant to install a new pond in bad weather. A further negative effect on the pond equipment market was a poor house building and moving market, since experienced pond owners will often install new ponds upon moving house. The market continued to decline in 2010 when it was estimated to be worth £33m at manufacturers selling price (msp).
The major sectors within the market: ponds, pumps, filtration systems, water features and pond accessories saw market decline in 2010. However, some improvement is expected from 2011, with most sectors seeing low growth and all sectors forecast to grow from 2012. The ponds market is the larger market by value and is estimated to be worth £8.2m in 2010, having seen an estimated 7% decline since the previous year. Market performance is particularly susceptible to bad weather and suffers from notoriously unpredictable British summer weather. The market is sub-divided into liners/underlay (52%), pre-formed ponds (41%) and other pond types (7%).
The pumps market accounts for approximately £7m in 2010 and saw a lower rate of annual decline than the ponds sector. Sales of pumps for self-contained water features and replacement pumps have contributed to market value. The market may be sub-divided into pumps with flow rates up to 999 litres/hour (29%), 1000-3999 litres/hour (46%) and 4000 and over litres/hour. Filtration systems is another large sector within the pond equipment market and is estimated to be worth £6m in 2010, a decline of around 4% from the previous year. Lower levels of pond installation have hindered the market but improvement is forecast from 2011 when low levels of growth are expected. The market can be divided into 3 categories: combined units (75%), filters (21%) and UV clarifiers (4%).
Pond accessories is a fragmented market in terms of product range and is estimated to be worth around £8m in 2010. Sales are dependent on owning a pond, but some sectors, e.g. fish food and pond treatments, may be viewed as essential products and are less dependent on good weather for sales. Water features is a smaller sector of the pond equipment market and is worth approximately £4m in 2010. In contrast to other sectors of the market, purchase of these products is not reliant on owning a pond and the market benefits from gift and impulse purchases.
In terms of distribution, the major channels for pond equipment are specialist aquatic/water garden centres, followed by garden centres and then other smaller channels of distribution such as mail order catalogues, the Internet and landscape contractors. Future prospects for the pond equipment market are more favourable from 2011, with the total market forecast to remain stable before returning to growth in 2012.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. MARKET OVERVIEW 21
- 4.1 DEFINITION 21
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 21
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX 22
- 4.4 CURRENT SITUATION 23
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 24
- 4.5.1 New Housebuilding 24
- 4.5.2 New Housing by Type 26
- 4.5.3 House Moving Market 27
- 4.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS 27
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 30
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 30
- 5.2 PONDS 31
- 5.2.1 Liners/Underlay 32
- 5.2.2 Pre-formed Ponds and Watercourses 34
- 5.2.3 Other Ponds 36
- 5.2.4 Complete Pond Kits 36
- 5.3 PUMPS 37
- 5.4 FILTRATION SYSTEMS 39
- 5.5 WATER FEATURES 42
- 5.6 POND ACCESSORIES 44
- 5.6.1 Fish Food 46
- 5.6.2 Pond Treatments 47
- 5.6.3 Pond Lighting 48
- 5.6.4 Other Pond Accessories 48
- 6. SUPPLIERS 50
- 6.1 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 50
- 6.1.1 Hozelock Cyprio 51
- 6.1.2 Interpet Ltd/Blagdon 52
- 6.1.3 OAL Water Garden Products Ltd 52
- 6.1.4 Tetra (UK) Ltd 53
- 6.1.5 Oase (UK) Limited 53
- 6.1.6 Firestone 53
- 6.1.7 Laguna 54
- 6.1.8 Ubbink Garden BV 54
- 6.2 SECTOR MARKET SHARES 55
- 6.2.1 Liners/Underlay 55
- 6.2.2 Pre-formed Ponds 55
- 6.2.3 Pumps 56
- 6.2.4 Filtration Systems 57
- 6.2.5 Water Features 57
- 6.2.6 Pond Accessories 58
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 60
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 60
- 7.2 MAJOR CHANNELS 62
- 7.2.1 Specialist Aquatic/Water Garden Centres 63
- 7.2.2 Garden Centres 64
- 7.2.3 Direct Selling/Mail Order/Internet/Catalogue Stores 68
- 7.2.4 DIY Multiples 69
- 7.2.5 Landscape Contractors 69
- 7.2.6 Wholesalers/Distributors 69
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET AND FORECASTS 2005-2015 (£M MSP) 9
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2015 14
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2015 16
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2011 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000) 18
- TABLE 6 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET 2004-2011 (£M MSP) 21
- TABLE 7 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR (PONDS, PUMPS, FILTRATION SYSTEMS, WATER FEATURES, POND ACCESSORIES) - BY VALUE 2010 22
- CHART 8 NEW HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2005 TO 2015 - BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS) 25
- CHART 9 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS - % MIX BY HOUSES / FLATS ENGLAND 2001-2010 26
- TABLE 10 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2006 TO 2010 ('000) 27
- TABLE 11 MARKET FORECASTS FOR UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET 2011-2015 (£M MSP) 28
- CHART 12 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR - % MIX - PONDS, PUMPS, FILTRATION SYSTEMS, WATER FEATURES, ACCESSORIES - 2010 BY VALUE 30
- TABLE 13 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF POND MARKET 2004-2015 (£M MSP) 31
- CHART 14 UK MARKET FOR PONDS - % MIX - LINERS/UNDERLAY, PREFORMED PONDS & WATERCOURSES, OTHERS - 2010 BY VALUE 32
- CHART 15 LINERS MARKET SIZE BY MATERIAL - RUBBER / PLASTIC - 2010 BY VALUE 33
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR PRE-FORMED PONDS - % PLASTIC AND GLASS FIBRE MIX BY VALUE 2010 35
- TABLE 17 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK PUMPS MARKET 2004-2015 (£M MSP) 37
- TABLE 18 UK MARKET FOR PUMPS - % PRODUCT MIX BY FLOW RATES - 2010 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 38
- TABLE 19 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK FILTRATION SYSTEMS MARKET 2004-2015 (£M MSP) 40
- TABLE 20 FILTRATION SYSTEMS MARKET BY TYPE OF SYSTEM - COMBINED UNITS, FILTERS AND UV CLARIFIERS - 2010 BY VALUE 41
- TABLE 21 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK WATER FEATURES MARKET 2006-2015 (£M MSP) 43
- TABLE 22 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK POND ACCESSORIES MARKET 2004-2015 (£M MSP) 44
- CHART 23 UK MARKET FOR POND ACCESSORIES - % MIX - FISH FOODS, POND TREATMENTS, LIGHTING, OTHERS - 2010 BY VALUE 45
- TABLE 24 OVERALL MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS - 2010 BY VALUE 51
- TABLE 25 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR PRE-FORMED POND SUPPLIERS 2010 55
- TABLE 26 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR PUMP SUPPLIERS 2010 56
- TABLE 27 MARKET SHARES OF FILTRATION SYSTEMS SUPPLIERS 2010 57
- TABLE 28 MARKET SUPPLIERS OPERATING WITHIN THE WATER FEATURES MARKET - 2010 58
- TABLE 29 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR POND ACCESSORIES SUPPLIERS 2010 58
- TABLE 30 MAJOR SUPPLIERS OPERATING WITHIN THE POND ACCESSORIES MARKET - 2010 59
- CHART 31 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR POND EQUIPMENT 61
- TABLE 32 DISTRIBUTION OF POND EQUIPMENT BY CHANNEL - % BY VALUE 2010 62
- TABLE 33 GARDEN CENTRE MARKET SHARES 2009 BY VALUE 65
The 'Pond Equipment Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis' costs £495+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.