Professional Portable Power Tools Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 17/06/2016 / Number of Pages: 77 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the 'Professional Portable Power Tools Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' reviews the market for power tools and assesses recent developments, including market size, product mix, recent trends, key influencing factors and market forecasts. The report reviews key products within the drilling, driving & breaking sector, the cutting & grinding sector and the carpentry & woodworking sector, alon with major suppliers and distributors operating in the market. The report incorporates original input and represents a comprehensive, informed and unique view of the market.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market developments since 2010 with forecasts to 2020.
- Detailed assessment of the market - market size, product mix, product trends, market structure and key influencing factors.
- Reviews of supply and distribution channels - leading manufacturers, company profiles, key channels including industrial distributors and specialists, and internet distribution, with leading players.
- Analysis by product group - drilling tools, driving & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools and carpentry & woodworking tools.
Key areas of insight include:
- The UK market for professional power tools is highly mature. Consumer penetration levels are relatively high (especially amongst tradesmen and professionals), and the market has a strong reliance of replacement cycles.
- Factors supporting market growth include increasing activity within the UK construction industry, in both the housebuilding and non-residential sectors.
- Product development has also underpinned market growth. The most notable example has been Lithium-ion battery technology, which has increased the appeal and penetration of cordless power tools.
- The market is relatively concentrated from a supply perspective, with three suppliers accounting for a significant proportion of sales.
- Detailed market data and insight on the professional portable power tools market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Atlas Copco, Axminster Power Tool Centre, B&Q, Brammer, Clarke Power Products UK, Cromwell Tools, CTS Ironmongery, Dewalt Industrial Power Tools Company, Draper Tools, Erbauer, Eriks Industrial Services, Fein Industrial Power tools (UK), Grafton Group, Hilti (Great Britain), Hitachi Power Tools, Homebase, ITW Construction Products, JCB, Machine Mart, Makita (UK), Metabo (UK), My Tools Shed Northern Tool and Equipment Co. (UK), Panasonic Electric Works, Robert Bosch , Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution, Screwfix Direct, SIG Fixings, Stanley Black & Decker, Techtronic Industries Co, The Site Box, Tool Shop Direct, Toolbank, Tool-Net, Tools & Accessories, Tools4trade, Toolstation, Toolstop, Travis Perkins, Wickes.
- The professional portable power tools market - market definition, size, factors influencing market.
- Overall market size in value terms from 2010-2016, with forecasts to 2020.
- Key market influences including product development such as lithium-ion batteries boosting sales of cordless products, compact tools and brushless motor technology, as well as the impact of construction sector performance and legislation.
- Product groups reviewed - driving, drilling & hammering, cutting & grinding and carpentry & wood working.
- Identification of key suppliers and distribution channels - manufacturers' market shares, key distributors etc.
- Product groups reviewed - drilling, driving & breaking, cutting & grinding and carpentry & woodworking.
- Estimated shares of main product groups 2015 within the overall market.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mix and market size 2015 with forecasts to 2020.
- Product sectors - review of products within the sector including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Profiles of leading manufacturers - overview of market shares, turnovers, company structure, market positioning etc.
- Review of distribution - distribution structure, key distribution channel shares.
- Review of leading distributors - market shares, leading players - general industrial product distributors, power tool specialists, builders merchants and DIY multiples etc.
- Forecasts of market development 2016-2020.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth - new build & RMI, engineering & manufacturing industries, product development and legislation. Price competition, dependence on replacement purchases in relatively mature market etc. and distribution channel trends.
- Outlook for the professional portable power tools market through to 2020.
The professional portable power tools market is a specialist sector within the overall portable power tools category, and the UK market for professional portable power tools is relatively mature and highly competitive. Growth within the market is heavily reliant upon activity levels in new build & RMI construction, which in turn are influenced by the state of the UK economy. Other factors include trends within manufacturing and engineering industries, as well as industry-specific issues such as legislation and product innovation. The market is currently recovering broadly in line with the UK economy, and growth has returned to the category after its weak performance during the downturn. Sales of power tools have been rising since 2013, and saw an increase of 4% in 2015.
Factors supporting market growth include increasing activity within the UK construction industry, in both the housebuilding and non-residential sectors, and a move among householders away from 'doing it yourself' (DIY) towards 'getting someone in' (GSI). The market is also subject to regulatory influences and prevailing EU legislation covers areas such as noise control, vibration levels and use and emission of noxious and/or hazardous substances, such as dust. In recent years, product development has also underpinned market growth. The most notable example has been Li-ion battery technology, which has increased the appeal and penetration of cordless power tools. Other developments likely to impact upon the market over the coming years include brushless motor technology and the emergence of more compact and/or lightweight products. Despite the growing popularity of cordless tools, corded products remain important to the professional power tools market, especially within sectors such as angle grinders and sanders.
The drilling, driving & breaking sector dominates the market, accounting for around 50% of sales. The other two sectors, namely cutting & grinding and carpentry & woodworking, account for the remainder of the market. The market is relatively concentrated from a supply perspective, with three suppliers accounting for approximately two-thirds of value sales. Distribution of power tools is very fragmented. The key distribution channel for professional portable power tools is general industrial products distributors, while other key channels include builders merchants and power tool specialists, while DIY multiples have also made efforts of late to target both professionals and homeowners. Internet sales account for a growing share of the power tools market, due partly to the lower prices and wider ranges usually offered, and the increasing number of retailers and distributors offering a 'Click & Collect' service.
The market is forecast to enjoy a period of sustained growth during the years leading up to 2020. Growth within the market will remain heavily linked to activity levels in domestic and non-residential sectors of the construction industry and, to a slightly lesser extent, by the performance of the UK's manufacturing and engineering industries. The current success of cordless products is forecast to continue - especially in areas of the market such as drills and breakers. It is probable that brushless motor technology will also make increasing inroads into the market, given its links with improved tool performance. Other product developments are likely to include the continued move towards lighter and more compact tools, as well as products which are marketed as being more environmentally-friendly. However, margins are likely to come under pressure from the high level of price competition in the market. The trend towards cheaper products, which is being accelerated by the Internet, may restrict overall market value growth. It is expected that online channels will continue to account for a growing proportion of sales.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.2.1 Overview 19
- 4.2.2 Recent Performance 20
- 4.2.3 Market Prospects 22
- 4.2.4 International Trade in Portable Power Tools 24
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 26
- 4.3.1 Construction Output and RMI 26
- 4.3.2 House Moving and Home Improvements 31
- 4.3.3 Manufacturing Industry Output 32
- 4.3.4 Legislation 33
- 4.3.5 Employment in the Construction Industry 35
- 4.3.6 Timber Frame Housing 36
- 4.3.7 Transport Infrastructure 38
- 4.3.8 Wood Working 39
- 4.3.9 Additional Factors Influencing the Market 40
- 5. PRODUCTS 41
- 5.1 CORDLESS POWER TOOLS 42
- 5.2 DRILLING, DRIVING AND BREAKING 44
- 5.2.1 Drills and Drivers 46
- 5.2.2 Breakers 47
- 5.3 CUTTING AND GRINDING 48
- 5.3.1 Grinders 50
- 5.3.2 Power Saws 51
- 5.3.3 Multi-functional Tools 51
- 5.3.4 Other Cutting Tools 52
- 5.4 CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING 52
- 5.4.1 Sanders 54
- 5.4.2 Routers 55
- 5.4.3 Planers 55
- 5.4.4 Nailers and Staplers 55
- 6. KEY SUPPLIERS 57
- 6.1 MARKET SHARES 57
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIER PROFILES 58
- 6.2.1 Makita (UK) Ltd 58
- 6.2.2 Black & Decker/DeWalt 58
- 6.2.3 Robert Bosch Ltd 59
- 6.2.4 Hitachi Power Tools (UK) Ltd 59
- 6.2.5 Techtronic Industries (TTI) 59
- 6.2.6 Metabo (UK) Ltd 60
- 6.2.7 Hilti (Great Britain) Ltd 60
- 6.2.8 Panasonic Electric Works (UK) 60
- 6.2.9 Fein Industrial Power Tools (UK) Ltd 61
- 6.2.10 Atlas Copco 61
- 6.2.11 Other Suppliers 61
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 63
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 63
- 7.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES 65
- 7.3 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 67
- 7.3.1 General Industrial Products Distributors 67
- 7.3.2 Builders and Plumbers Merchants 69
- 7.3.3 Power Tools Specialists 72
- 7.3.4 Tool and Plant Hire Outlets 73
- 7.3.5 DIY Multiples 74
- 7.3.6 Other Distributors 76
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS - 2010-2020 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6 PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2010 - 2020 (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 7 GROWTH FORECASTS OF KEY CONSTRUCTION SECTORS - 2016-2020 22
- TABLE 8 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN PORTABLE POWER TOOLS 2005 TO 2014- BY VALUE (£M) 24
- CHART 9 IMPORTS OF PORTABLE POWER TOOLS PRODUCT MIX 2014 - DRILLS, SAWS, OTHER PRODUCTS - % BY VALUE 25
- TABLE 10 IMPORTS OF PORTABLE POWER TOOLS FOR 2014 - SOURCE COUNTRIES BY VALUE (£M) AND % SHARE 26
- CHART 11 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - NEW WORK AND RMI ANALYSIS 2011 TO 2020 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 27
- CHART 12 VALUE OF NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2011-2020 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 28
- CHART 13 NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2015 - % BY VALUE 29
- TABLE 14 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 31
- TABLE 15 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED), 2010-2016 BY VOLUME (THOUSANDS) 32
- TABLE 16 OUTPUT OF THE PRODUCTION INDUSTRIES 2010-2015 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) - 2012= 100 33
- TABLE 17 EMPLOYMENT IN THE UK CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY, 2010 TO 2015 (000S) 35
- TABLE 18 UK CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY BY PROFESSION, 2012-2020 (NUMBER OF WORKERS) 36
- CHART 19 UK TIMBER FRAME COMPLETIONS ('000 DWELLINGS) 2010 - 2015 BY VOLUME 37
- CHART 20 VALUE OF ROAD & RAIL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2009-2015 (£ BILLION) 38
- TABLE 21 UK WOODWORKING MARKET 2010-2015 (£BN MSP) 39
- CHART 22 PRODUCT CATEGORY (CUTTING/GRINDING, DRILLING/DRIVING/BREAKING, CARPENTRY/WOODWORKING) - MIX BY VALUE 2015 41
- CHART 23 MIX BY CORDLESS AND CORDED PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2015 43
- TABLE 24 DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2020 (£M AT MSP) 45
- CHART 25 PRODUCT MIX IN THE DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING SECTOR BY VALUE 2015 46
- TABLE 26 CUTTING & GRINDING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2020 (£M MSP) 49
- CHART 27 PRODUCT MIX IN THE CUTTING & GRINDING SECTOR (GRINDERS, SAWS, 'OTHERS') - BY VALUE 2015 50
- TABLE 28 CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2020 (£M MSP) 53
- CHART 29 PRODUCT MIX IN THE CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING SECTOR (SANDERS, PLANERS, ROUTERS, NAILERS & STAPLERS) BY VALUE 2015 54
- TABLE 30 SUPPLIERS SHARES OF SALES OF THE PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET BY VALUE 2015 57
- CHART 31 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL MARKET 64
- CHART 32 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES OF PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS (POWER TOOL SPECIALISTS, GENERAL INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS, BUILDERS MERCHANTS, ETC) - 2015 BY VALUE 66
- TABLE 33 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY LEADING INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS 67
- CHART 34 BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 70
- TABLE 35 MARKET SHARES OF LEADING TOOL HIRE COMPANIES BY VALUE 2015 73
- CHART 36 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2015 74
- TABLE 37 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING DIY MULTIPLES 75
The 'Professional Portable Power Tools Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.