Prefabricated Volumetric Buildings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 15/04/2016 / Number of Pages: 57 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 7th edition of the 'Prefabricated Volumetric Building Systems Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' reviews the market in terms of overall structure, main trends, key product sectors, end user sectors, specification issues and suppliers. Products analysed range from simple jack-leg cabins and welfare units through to complex structures assembled from large numbers of 3-D modules, and for the first time, this edition has been expanded to include pre-fabricated park and holiday homes.
Key sections covered:
- Market size & structure - market value, trends, forecasts for growth, key influencing factors etc.
- Product mix - portable accommodation, permanent buildings and semi-permanent buildings.
- Key end use sectors - analysis of end use sectors - site accommodation and event hire, education, housing, healthcare, student accommodation, retail, park homes and hotels.
- Major suppliers - market share, market position, relative end user strengths and profiles.
Key areas of insight include:
- Forecasts of the performance of the market for volumetric buildings systems & portable accommodation 2016-2020.
- Review of performance of key end use markets including; site accommodation student accommodation, housing education, hotels, park homes etc.
- Focus on the market potential of the housing sector and new market entrants.
- Review of public sector offsite construction procurement frameworks.
- Review of major suppliers with market shares for the larger companies.
- Expanded coverage of the park homes sector, market size, key suppliers.
- Detailed market data and insight on the prefabricated volumetric building systems market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Actavo Building Solutions (ABS), A-Plant Accommodation, BRJ Systems, Built Offsite, Caledonian Modular, CIMC MBS, CIS UK, Clark's Modular Buildings, Cotaplan, Danzer, Derbybeech, Eldapoint, Elite Building Systems, Elliott Group, Extraspace Industries, Fabric First Modular, Futureform, Groundhog UK, Hewden Accommodation, Ideal Building Systems, Integra Buildings, Losberger UK, McAvoy Group, Mobile Mini UK, Modular Space, Moduleco Services, MPH Building Systems, Nixon Hire, Pasuda Group, PKL, Portakabin Group, Premier Modular, Rollalong, Servaccomm Redhall, Sibcas, Springfield Mobile, Thurston Building Systems, Vision Modular Systems UK, Wernick Group, Western Building Systems.
- Total market size by value at manufacturers sales prices for volumetric building systems and portable accommodation 2010-2015 with forecasts 2016 -2020.
- Key influencing factors driving or impacting market growth - general levels of construction activity, housing demand, public sector procurement frameworks for offsite construction, Building Information Modelling, skills shortages, sustainability factors.
- Product mix - analysis by product type - portable accommodation, permanent buildings and semi-permanent buildings
- End use application mix - construction & industrial sites, education, healthcare, housing, hotels, retail, student & keyworker accommodation, other (incl. permanent offices, custodial).
Key End Use Sectors
- Portable accommodation and sanitation units; reviews of 3 key sectors, construction sites, event hire & infrastructure sites. Estimated sector values at hire prices & key trends. Overview of major hire firms.
- Education - overview of schools and university sectors, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
- Housing - overview of public & private sectors, identification of key market divers and recent developments e.g. new suppliers e.g. Urban Splash & Laing o'Rourke. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
- Healthcare - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
- Student accommodation - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector. Focus on purpose built and the supply chain.
- Hotels - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Focus on budget sector. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
- Retail - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Focus on convenience /forecourt stores. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
- Park Homes - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector e.g. Stately-Albion, Omar Homes etc.
- Industry structure - key players, new market entrants and supply chain, geographical distribution. Overall market shares.
- Profiles of major manufacturers - recent changes, sector strengths, turnovers.
- Overview of the hire sector and leading hire companies.
The UK market for volumetric modular buildings and portable accommodation has improved over the last couple of years, underpinned by recovery in the general economy and in non-domestic construction, and is estimated to have grown 5% during 2015. AMA Research's estimates for this market exclude bathroom and kitchen 'pods'. Between 2008 and 2013, market values declined, but since 2013 there has been some improvement in the market, underpinned by demand for site accommodation on major infrastructure projects and in the events sector, and recovery in key applications for offsite construction e.g. student accommodation, schools, convenience stores.
Products are broadly split between permanent and semi-permanent buildings, on the one hand, which are usually constructed from two or more modules, and portable accommodation. The latter sector mostly comprises a wide range of single module products hired or leased for short periods. Other important areas of demand for volumetric buildings are the healthcare sector, healthcare, social housing apartments, sports facilities and commercial offices. Between 2005 and 2013, by far the largest application for volumetric construction had been MoD single living accommodation, driven by major building programmes, notably Project SLAM and Project Allenby/Connaught. However, the end of these contributed towards a sharp downturn in the industry as a whole.
Over the medium term, a sustained recovery in the sector key drivers is expected to sustain demand. However, the sector offering the most potential is one where penetration rates for volumetric construction remain low - i.e. housing. The ongoing shortage in new housing being built each year, which is way below the aspirational targets of the government, coupled with shortages of skilled tradesmen has been widely recognised as part of the solution. One other key factor expected to drive up demand for offsite construction is Building Information Modelling which, from April 2016, will become mandatory for public sector building projects. A key advantage with BIM is that it can streamline building design, procurement, construction and maintenance processes. It should facilitate standardisation in design, where required, and in turn favour the use of offsite construction. BIM will also enable sustainable energy and building approaches to be incorporated from the outset, which ought to favour volumetric buildings as these have better airtightness properties than traditional constructions.
Distribution channels include direct sales to end users and main contractors and the hire / leasing market. The hire sector comprises dedicated hire divisions or subsidiaries of manufacturers of modular building systems, independent companies specialising in the hire /rental of temporary accommodation and general plant hire companies. The industry has experienced major changes in recent years, characterised by contraction and consolidation in the non-domestic sector, while the potential offered by housing attracts new entrants.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 9
- 3.1 GDP 9
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 10
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 11
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 11
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 12
- 3.6 STERLING 13
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 13
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 14
- 4. THE MARKET 15
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 15
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 15
- 4.3 KEY MARKET FACTORS 18
- 4.3.1 Construction Activity Levels 18
- 4.3.2 Public Sector Procurement Frameworks 21
- 4.3.3 Building Information Modelling 22
- 4.3.4 Shortages in Traditional Construction Skills 22
- 4.3.5 Perceptions of Costs and Risks 23
- 4.3.6 Quality Assurance 24
- 4.3.7 Sustainability Issues 25
- 5. END USE SECTORS 26
- 5.1 DEFINITION 26
- 5.2 PRODUCT MIX OVERVIEW 27
- 5.3 APPLICATION MIX OVERVIEW 27
- 5.4 PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION AND SANITATION UNITS 28
- 5.4.1 Construction site accommodation 28
- 5.4.2 Event hire 29
- 5.4.3 Infrastructure site accommodation 30
- 5.4.4 Hire companies 30
- 5.5 EDUCATION 31
- 5.6 HOUSING 33
- 5.7 STUDENT ACCOMMODATION 35
- 5.8 HEALTHCARE 38
- 5.9 HOTELS 40
- 5.10 RETAIL OUTLETS 43
- 5.11 PARK HOMES 46
- 5.12 END USER SECTOR MARKET MIX FORECASTS 47
- 6. SUPPLY 49
- 6.1 INDUSTRY STRUCTURE 49
- 6.1.1 Supply 49
- 6.1.2 Geographical location 49
- 6.2 MARKET SHARES 50
- 6.3 SUPPLY CHAIN 51
- 6.4 SUPPLIER PROFILES 52
- 6.4.1 Manufacturers 52
- 6.4.2 Hire and leasing 56
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK MARKET FOR VOLUMETRIC MODULAR BUILDINGS AND PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION £M 2010 -2020 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 9
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 11
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 12
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 13
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR VOLUMETRIC MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS AND PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION (£M MSP) 2010-2015 AND FORECASTS 2016-2020 16
- TABLE 7 TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2010-2019 18
- CHART 8 CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2015 18
- CHART 9 UK MARKET FOR VOLUMETRIC BUILDING SYSTEMS AND PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION BY VALUE 2014/15 27
- CHART 10 UK MARKET FOR VOLUMETRIC BUILDING SYSTEMS AND PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION BY APPLICATION BY VALUE (MSP) 28
- TABLE 11 NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE (ROADS, RAILWAYS, PORTS & AIRPORTS) £M 2012 - 2019 29
- CHART 12 UK EVENTS MARKET FOR PORTABLE MODULES BY MAIN APPLICATIONS (WELFARE UNITS, TOILETS & SHOWERS, MARKETING SUITES, TICKET BOOTHS ETC) BY VALUE 29
- CHART 13 EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2010 -2015 AND GROWTH FORECASTS 2016 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES 31
- CHART 14 TYPES OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION IN THE UK - APPROXIMATE SHARE BY TYPE 2015-16 35
- TABLE 15 MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMMERCIAL OPERATORS OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION BY BEDSPACE NUMBERS 2015-16 36
- CHART 16 ESTIMATED NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR 2010-2018 37
- CHART 17 FORWARD PIPELINE OF STUDENT BED-SPACES BY OPERATOR 2016-2020 38
- CHART 18 HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2010 TO 2020 39
- CHART 19 UK BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR CUMULATIVE GROWTH IN TOTAL ROOM NUMBERS 1995 - 2015 41
- TABLE 20 UK BRANDED BUDGET HOTELS MARKET TRENDS BY NUMBERS OF HOTELS AND BEDSPACES 2005 -2015 42
- TABLE 21 UK BRAND BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR MARKET SHARES BY NUMBER OF BEDROOMS 2015 42
- CHART 22 RETAIL CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT (GB) BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 TO 2019 43
- CHART 23 UK FORECOURT STORES MARKET SHARES OF OUTLET NUMBERS BY SHOP FASCIA 45
- CHART 24 UK PARK HOMES MARKET BY NUMBER OF UNITS 2009-2015 46
- CHART 25 FORECAST MIX OF SALES OF VOLUMETRIC BUILDING SYSTEMS & PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION TO MAJOR END USER SECTORS BY VALUE 2020 48
- CHART 26 REGIONAL STRUCTURE OF UK MODULAR & PORTABLE BUILDINGS MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY - % MIX BY OUTPUT VOLUME/CAPACITY 50
- TABLE 27 KEY SUPPLIERS SHARES OF THE PREFABRICATED VOLUMETRIC BUILDINGS MARKET - BY VALUE 2014 -2015 51
The 'Prefabricated Volumetric Buildings Market Report Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.