Domestic Garden Buildings and Structures Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 23/02/2016 / Number of Pages: 75 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the 'Domestic Garden Buildings and Structures Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' provides a comprehensive and up-to-date review of the market for garden buildings and structures. The report reviews the market size, structure, key product sectors, supply and distribution structures, and provides forecasts for market development through to 2020, including assessment of the key factors influencing future trends.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market size by value, recent performance, key influences, supply and distribution review, forecast growth to 2020 etc.
- Key product sectors - market sizes, recent trends, product mix and forecasts.
- Garden buildings for all year use - modular rooms, timber framed buildings, insulated tree house, shepherd's huts and others.
- Log cabins and summerhouses.
- Garden sheds and garden storage.
- Garden Structures and other products.
Key areas of insight include:
- Review of the market - performance in 2010-2015.
- Review of major product groups - market sizes, influences, trends.
- Identification of key market influences - consumer interest, homeworking, product design, housebuilding, housemoving, weather, gardening activities, trend towards secondary residential garden building use as well as garden buildings for leisure activities etc.
- Review of key suppliers and distributors - shares, trends, market developments.
- Future prospects up to 2020 - future growth expectations, key opportunities and threats to the market.
Some of the companies included:
Alton Greenhouses, Blue Forest UK, Crane Garden Buildings, Dunster House, Eden Hall Greenhouses, Elite Greenhouses, Eurovudas, Forest Garden, Garden Lodges, Grange Fencing, Green Retreats, Hartley Botanics, Henley Garden Buildings, Homelodge Buildings, Homestead Timber Buildings, InsideOut Buildings, Jackson Fencing, Kybotech, Lugarde, Luoman Oy, Mercia Garden Products, MPB Garden Buildings, Palmako, Pinelog, Qube Structures, Rooms Outdoor, Rowlinson Garden Products, Sanctuary Garden Offices, Shire Garden Buildings, Smart Offices, The Garden Escape, The Home Office Company, Timeless Garden Rooms, Valcke & Zoon NV, Vitavia Garden Products, Weka Holzbau Gmbh.
- Domestic garden buildings and structure market - market definition in terms of products included.
- Market size (buildings only) - analysis by value from 2010-2015 and key characteristics of the market.
- Key influences on the market - consumer interest, homeworking, product design, housebuilding, housemoving, weather, gardening activities, trend towards secondary residential garden building use as well as garden buildings for leisure activities etc.
- Market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2020.
- Market size of the garden buildings used for working, accommodation and leisure use by volume 2010-2015, with forecasts of 2016-2020.
- Review of key product sectors - garden building for all year use (modular, timber-framed and 'others' including insulated tree-houses); log cabins & summerhouses; garden sheds & storage; greenhouses; and garden structures etc.
- Assessment of product sector market sizes 2010-2015 and review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Product mix shares by value.
- Sector forecasts - sector size, prospects and influencing factors on sectors to 2020.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Overview of the market - distribution structure indicating key routes to market.
- Supply structure - including review of key suppliers by product groups.
- Market share by value for the major suppliers.
- Profiles of key suppliers - turnovers, areas of specialization etc.
- Distribution overview - DIY outlets, direct supply, on-line, mail order & catalogue companies, garden centres, timber & builders merchants, others - key players in major channels, review of Internet Gardening sector (specialists/non-specialists).
- Channels of distribution - share by value.
- Forecast of market development - Review of prospects in 2016-2020. Future trends likely to affect this market.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - consumer confidence & spending, recovery in UK economy, housebuilding & housemoving, homeworking, widening use of garden buildings for leisure & residential use, gardening activities, weather, etc.
The market for domestic garden buildings and structures, which in this report excludes added value services such as installation, is estimated to have grown by around 3.5% in 2015. The garden buildings and structures market is part of the wider garden products market, which includes horticulture, garden sundries, garden buildings, garden equipment, garden leisure and garden chemicals. Following a relatively flat period between 2010 to 2013, growth began to increase in 2014 and into 2015, buoyed by improving consumer confidence and spending, which stimulated demand for all product groups covered in this report and led to market growth of around 3-4%.
Gardens are increasingly seen as an extension to the home. The trend towards homeworking has continued, and there is a growing need to provide accommodation for parents and children unable to enter the housing market. Also benefiting the market are the increasing uses of garden buildings for leisure activities as well as the trend for upgrading specification and increased customisation of buildings. More variation and choice of products also benefits the market- for example there are more premium sheds available at the top end of the sector. In addition, there has been an increase in outdoor storage solutions other than the traditional shed. Weather also impacts on the market. For example, summerhouse sales are very seasonal and poor weather during the key sales period tends to have a more significant impact on annual sales. Stormy and windy weather can cause damage to buildings and stimulate demand for replacements.
Some sectors in this market are mature and thus household penetration is high, leaving limited scope for significant market growth and placing greater emphasis on upgrading and replacement products. The market for domestic garden buildings and structures is forecast to experience growth of between 3-5% per annum to 2020. Market growth, while stimulated by the factors mentioned previously, may be limited by the decreasing size of the average garden size of new builds as well as the large proportion of flats and apartments expected to be built to meet the Government's housing targets.
The shed and greenhouse sectors are mature and more dependent on replacement purchases; consequently growth rates are forecast to be more modest in the medium and long term with annual growth rates of 2-4% to 2020. In contrast, the garden rooms and other buildings used for working, accommodation and leisure are less mature and are expected to benefit the market as these will experience slightly higher levels of growth before reaching maturity. Homeworking has been increasing since 2011 and it is likely that its popularity will continue to grow, particularly as faster broadband coverage reaches all parts of the UK, which is likely to continue stimulating demand for garden offices. Pent up demand is likely to provide opportunities, but the unpredictable UK weather also influences the market to a certain extent which may impact on growth rates in any given year.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDING AND STRUCTURES MARKET 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET BACKGROUND 19
- 4.2.1 Overall Garden Products Market Size 19
- 4.2.2 Overall Garden Products Mix 20
- 4.3 DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDING & STRUCTURES MARKET SIZE 21
- 4.3.1 Current Situation 22
- 4.3.2 Future Prospects 24
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 26
- 4.4.1 The Housing Market 26
- 4.4.2 Housing Transactions 27
- 4.4.3 Planning permission 28
- 4.4.4 Homeworking 28
- 4.4.5 Other influences 30
- 5. PRODUCTS 32
- 5.1 PRODUCT MIX 32
- 5.2 GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR WORKING, ACCOMMODATION OR LEISURE BY VOLUME 33
- 6. UK 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' MARKET 34
- 6.1 DEFINITION 34
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 35
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX OF 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' MARKET 37
- 6.3.1 Modular Garden Rooms 38
- 6.3.2 Timber Framed Buildings 39
- 6.3.3 'Other' garden rooms 40
- 7. UK LOG CABIN AND SUMMERHOUSE MARKET 42
- 7.1 DEFINITION 42
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE 42
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 43
- 7.3.1 Log Cabins 43
- 7.3.2 Summerhouses 45
- 8. SHEDS & GARDEN STORAGE MARKET 47
- 8.1 DEFINITION 47
- 8.2 MARKET SIZE 47
- 9. UK GREENHOUSE MARKET 51
- 9.1 DEFINITION 51
- 9.2 MARKET SIZE 51
- 9.3 PRODUCT MIX 52
- 10. GARDEN STRUCTURES 56
- 10.1 DEFINITIONS 56
- 10.2 MARKET SIZE 56
- 10.3 PRODUCT MIX 57
- 11. SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION 59
- 11.1 OVERVIEW 59
- 11.1.1 Market Structure 59
- 11.2 SUPPLIERS 61
- 11.2.1 Supply Structure 61
- 11.2.2 Market Shares 62
- 11.2.3 Key UK Suppliers 63
- 11.3 DISTRIBUTION 67
- 11.3.1 DIY Outlets 69
- 11.3.2 Online and Mail Order Retailers 70
- 11.3.3 Garden Centres 73
- 11.3.4 Timber and Builders Merchants 74
- 11.3.5 Direct Supply and Other Retailers 75
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 20
- CHART 7 MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET (HORTICULTURAL, EQUIPMENT, LEISURE, CHEMICALS, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES ETC.) 2015 - BY VALUE 21
- TABLE 8 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES MARKET AND FORECASTS, 2010-2020 £M RSP 22
- CHART 9 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2010 - 2020 - UNITED KINGDOM ('000) 27
- TABLE 10 NUMBER OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN UK 2010-2015 (X1000) 28
- CHART 11 UK HOMEWORKERS WORKING MAINLY FROM HOME 2001-2014 (MILLIONS) 29
- CHART 12 PRODUCT MIX OF UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES (GARDEN ROOMS, LOG CABINS, STORAGE, GREENHOUSES ETC) BY VALUE, 2015 32
- TABLE 13 UK GARDEN BUILDINGS (GARDEN ROOMS, TIMBER FRAME BUILDINGS & LOG CABINS) MARKET 2010-2015 BY VOLUME 33
- TABLE 14 UK 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' MARKET (BUILDINGS ONLY - EXCLUDING VALUE ADDED SERVICES), 2010-2020 £M RSP 35
- CHART 15 PRODUCT MIX OF UK MARKET FOR 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' (TIMBER FRAMED, MODULAR GARDEN ROOMS & OTHERS) BY VALUE - 2015 (£M RSP) 38
- TABLE 16 UK DOMESTIC LOG CABIN AND SUMMERHOUSE MARKET, 2010-2020 £M RSP 42
- CHART 17 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC LOG CABIN AND SUMMERHOUSE MARKET 2015, % BY VALUE 43
- TABLE 18 UK SHEDS & GARDEN STORAGE MARKET, 2010-2020 £M RSP 47
- CHART 19 DOMESTIC SHEDS & GARDEN STORAGE MARKET BY TYPE OF MATERIAL (WOOD, METAL & PLASTIC), 2015 - % BY VALUE 49
- TABLE 20 UK DOMESTIC GREENHOUSE MARKET, 2010-2020 £M RSP 51
- CHART 21 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GREENHOUSES MARKET 2015 (GREENHOUSES AND STAGING, BENCHES AND SHELVING) - % BY VALUE 53
- CHART 22 GARDEN STRUCTURES MARKET 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 56
- CHART 23 PRODUCT MIX - GARDEN STRUCTURES (GAZEBOS, PERGOLAS, ARCHES, ARBOURS ETC) 2015 - % BY VALUE 57
- CHART 24 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 60
- TABLE 25 UK GARDEN BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES MARKET 2015 - SUPPLIER SHARE BY VALUE 62
- TABLE 26 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES IN THE GARDEN BUILDING & STRUCTURES MARKET - SHARE BY PRODUCT & CHANNEL (DIY, DIRECT SUPPLY, INTERNET/MAIL ORDER, GARDEN CENTRES ETC) - 2015 - % BY VOLUME 67
- TABLE 27 DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 2015 - BY VALUE 68
- CHART 28 GARDEN & LEISURE PRODUCTS SHARE BY MAJOR MULTIPLE 2015 69
- CHART 29 DISTRIBUTION MIX IN TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN BUILDINGS MARKET - % BY SPECIALISTS / NON-SPECIALISTS BY VALUE - 2015 71
- TABLE 30 GARDEN CENTRE MARKET SHARES 2014 BY VALUE 74
The 'Domestic Garden Buildings and Structures Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.