Domestic Replacement Door and Window Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 25/04/2019 / Number of Pages: 79 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 14th edition of the "Domestic Replacement Door and Window Market Report - UK 2019-2023 Analysis" has been published by AMA Research. The report represents an up-to-date and comprehensive review of this mature market.
Key areas covered:
- Product review - windows, residential doors, patio/bifold doors.
- Frame materials - PVCu, aluminium, timber, composites etc.
- Sectors - private, public.
- Supply & Distribution - key players, channels.
Areas of particular insight include:
- Market activity levels in 2016-2018.
- Material usage trends in all product sectors - some share gain for aluminium, especially in the patio doors sector with growth of bi-folds.
- Increasing influence of sustainability issues - product innovations and focus on raw materials sourcing.
- Importance of product/legislative standards - thermal and acoustic insulation as well as security.
- Review of changes in the supply and distribution structure - industry rationalisation.
- Forecasts for 2019 and up to 2023 - review of key market drivers.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic replacement door and window market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
3D Aluminium, Aluk Group, Anglian Windows, Benlowe Group, Birtley Group, Britdoors Group, Capital Windows Manufacturing, Comar Architectural Aluminium, Deceuninck, Distinction Doors, Door Stop International, Duraflex, Epwin Group, Eurocell Profiles, Everest, GBW Panels, Hallmark Panels, HL Plastics, Howarth Timber, Howdens Joinery, Hurst Plastics, ID Systems, IG Doors, Jeld-Wen UK, Magnet, Masterdor, New World Developments, Premdor Crosby, Profine UK, Rehau, Reynaers, Safestyle, SAPA Building Systems, Selecta Systems, Senior Architectural Systems, Smart Systems, Synseal, Veka, Vista Panels.
- Market size by volume and value - recent developments to 2018 and forecasts of future trends within each product group up to 2023.
- Review of market in 2016-18 - market performance and potential in short/medium term.
- Share and analysis of market by product - windows, doors and patio doors., growth of bifolds, colour options.
- Share and analysis of market by frame material - PVCu, timber, aluminium, composites and steel.
- Share and analysis of market by sector - direct sell, indirect private and public sector.
- Developments in the private and public sectors - role of housing associations, list of top housing associations by dwelling stock (England, Scotland, Wales), development programmes.
- Household penetration levels - 1981-2018 and future growth. Prospects for further penetration - growth of 'second' replacement market.
- Forecasts from 2019-2023 - market saturation, pricing, industry restructuring, sustainability issues, impact of Brexit etc.
- Market size by volume and value for each product sector - recent developments to 2018 and forecasts of future trends from 2019-23.
- Analysis of market trends for each product - use of aluminum, PVC-u, composite and timber by product.
- Product trends, forecasts of future developments up to 2023 - opportunities/threats, growth of composites etc.
- Distribution shares by sector - social housing, private direct sell and builders sector - for each product.
- Importance of frame materials within market sectors - local authorities, direct sell, housing associations, conservatory market etc.
- Sustainability issues - impact on market, legislation etc.
Supply and Distribution
- Analysis of distribution structure for PVCu, aluminium, timber.
- Role of Extruders, Systems Companies, Fabricators, Merchants, Builders, Local Authorities, DIY Outlets etc. - reasons for their market positions, market changes, acquisitions etc.
- Review of changes in market structure over the last 2-3 years - recent mergers, acquisitions.
- Analysis of leading suppliers within each material group - including market share analysis, strengths and weaknesses, industry rationalisation in the future.
- Review of composite door supply structure - key players.
- Retail distribution - review of suppliers in the direct sell and builders sectors of the market, market shares, strengths and weaknesses, leading companies.
The UK market for replacement domestic doors and windows is a large, mature and changing market. The availability of new products with greater thermal and security features together with new styles, colours and other technical developments continue to make the market an exciting and challenging one for manufacturers.
Following higher growth 2014-2016, the market reverted to lower growth rates in 2017-18, reflecting particularly the effects of declining consumer confidence in the run up to Brexit.
The replacement door and window market is characterised by its maturity, a highly fragmented supply structure and strong competition resulting in lower prices for standard door and window replacement products.
This is somewhat balanced by consumer preferences for newer and higher value technologies in this market featuring, for example, multi-coloured windows and doors, stronger slimline aluminium patio doors and windows, composite doors, double glazed sash windows, and bi-fold doors.
Future growth for the UK window and door replacement market is dependent on a positive housing market, economic growth and consumer confidence in the coming years. But our forecasts for 2019 and beyond remain muted, due to the uncertain economic situation relating to Brexit a central factor.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 12
- 3.2 KEY DATA 13
- 3.2.1 GDP 13
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 13
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 14
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 15
- 3.2.5 Sterling 16
- 4. THE MARKET 17
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 17
- 4.2.1 Market Background 17
- 4.2.2 Current Situation 19
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects 22
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX 24
- 4.4 MARKET SECTORS 24
- 4.5 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVELS 25
- 4.6 KEY INFLUENCES 26
- 4.6.1 Standards & Legislation 27
- 4.6.2 Environmental 28
- 4.6.3 Residential Construction Market 29
- 4.6.4 Housebuilding Market 30
- 4.6.5 Mix of House Building Completions 31
- 4.6.6 Home Extension Market 31
- 4.6.7 UK Social Housing Market 34
- 4.6.8 House Moving Market 39
- 5. MATERIALS 41
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 41
- 5.1.1 Replacement Windows Sector 41
- 5.1.2 Patio Doors Sector 42
- 5.1.3 Entrance Doors Sector 43
- 5.2 MATERIALS - CURRENT TRENDS IN BRIEF 45
- 5.3 DEVELOPMENT OF KEY MATERIALS 46
- 5.3.1 PVCu 46
- 5.3.2 Aluminium 46
- 5.3.3 Timber 47
- 5.3.4 Composite Doors 48
- 5.3.5 Other Materials 49
- 6. PRODUCTS 50
- 6.1 WINDOWS 50
- 6.1.1 Market Size and Volume 50
- 6.1.2 Distribution by Sector 51
- 6.2 PATIO DOORS 52
- 6.2.1 Market Size and Volume 52
- 6.3 RESIDENTIAL DOORS 54
- 6.3.1 Market Size and Volume 54
- 7 SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 56
- 7.1 OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 56
- 7.2 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE BY FRAME MATERIAL 56
- 7.2.1 PVCu 56
- 7.2.2 Aluminium 61
- 7.2.3 Timber 65
- 7.2.4 Composite Doors 69
- 7.3 RETAIL DISTRIBUTION 71
- 7.3.1 Retail Glazing Companies 71
- 7.3.2 Builder's Merchants 75
- 7.3.3 Home Improvement Multiples 77
- 7.3.4 Specialist Suppliers to DIY/Builder's Merchants 78
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 14
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 15
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 15
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 7: UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 19
- CHART 8: UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET 204 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 22
- CHART 9: UK MARKET FOR REPLACEMENT WINDOWS AND DOORS PRODUCT MIX (WINDOWS, PATIO DOORS & RESIDENTIAL DOORS) 2018 - % BY VALUE 24
- CHART 10: VALUE OF REPLACEMENT WINDOWS BY SECTOR (DIRECT SELL, LA/HA, INDIRECT PRIVATE) 2018 - % BY VALUE 25
- CHART 11: HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVEL OF ANY TYPE OF DOUBLE-GLAZING 1987 TO 2018 26
- CHART 12: RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS (NEW WORK AND RMI) 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 29
- TABLE 13: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GB) 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 30
- CHART 14: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND BY MIX OF HOUSES/FLATS FINANCIAL YEARS 2010/11 TO 2017/18 - % BY VOLUME 31
- CHART 15: NUMBER OF PLANNING DECISIONS GRANTED IN ENGLAND - (MAJOR, MINOR & HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS) 2014 TO 2018 32
- TABLE 16: NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN ENGLAND 2014 TO 2018 33
- TABLE 17: UK HOUSING ASSOCIATION STOCK BY FINANCIAL YEARS 2011-12 TO 2017-18 - NUMBER OF UNITS ('000S) 34
- TABLE 18 TOP 10 PPR/HA GROUPS IN ENGLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED FINANCIAL YEAR 2017-18 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE 35
- TABLE 19: EXPENDITURE ON ENGLISH HOUSING ASSOCIATION PROPERTIES - MAJOR REPAIRS, PLANNED MAINTENANCE, SERVICE COSTS: FY 2009-10 TO 2017-18 (£M) 36
- TABLE 20: TOP 20 ENGLISH HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS BY TOTAL SPEND ON REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE IN FINANCIAL YEARS 2016-17 AND 2017-18 - BY VALUE (£M) 37
- TABLE 21: TOP 10 HA GROUPS IN SCOTLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED 2017-18 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE 38
- TABLE 22: TOP 10 HA GROUPS IN WALES BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED 2017-18 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE 39
- TABLE 23: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 2013-2018 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 40
- CHART 24: MOVING ANNUAL TOTAL SECURED GROSS LENDING TO INDIVIDUALS AND HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS 2012 TO 2018 - £ MILLION 40
- CHART 25: REPLACEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, PVCU, OTHER) 1992 TO 2018 - % BY VALUE 42
- CHART 26: MIX OF REPLACEMENT PATIO DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, PVCU, OTHER, ETC) 1992 TO 2018 - % BY VALUE 43
- CHART 27: REPLACEMENT RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 1992 TO 2018 - % BY VALUE 44
- CHART 28: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT WINDOWS AND DOORS PRODUCT MIX (WINDOWS, PATIO DOORS & RESIDENTIAL DOORS) 2018 - % BY VOLUME 50
- TABLE 29: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 51
- CHART 30: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS DISTRIBUTION MIX (DIRECT SELL, LA/HA, INDIRECT PRIVATE) 2018 - % BY VALUE 52
- TABLE 31: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 53
- TABLE 32: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 54
- CHART 33: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR PVCU DOORS AND WINDOWS 57
- TABLE 34: PVCU SYSTEMS MARKET SUPPLIER SHARES 2018 59
- CHART 35: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR ALUMINIUM WINDOWS AND DOORS 62
- CHART 36: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - TIMBER WINDOWS AND DOORS 66
- CHART 37: DISTRIBUTION OF TIMBER DOORS & WINDOWS 2018 - % BY VOLUME 68
- CHART 38: UK REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW RETAIL SHARES BY VALUE 2018 72
- TABLE 39: RETAIL MARKET SHARE 2018 - % BY INSTALLED VALUE 73
- CHART 40: MIX OF MERCHANTS BY TYPE (NATIONAL, REGIONAL, LOCAL) 2018 75
- CHART 41: LEADING BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2018 76
- CHART 42: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 2018 77
The 'Domestic Replacement Door and Window Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.