Retail and Trade Adhesives Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis
Published: 02/11/2012 / Number of Pages: 81 / Price:
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the first edition of the report 'Retail and Trade Adhesives Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis'. The report incorporates original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and perceptive review of the market and its development.
Product sectors reviewed include:
- Tile Adhesives & Grout
- Flooring Adhesives
- Wallpaper Paste
This unique report answers the need for both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the retail and trade building adhesives market focusing on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, the report is comprehensive, informative and will facilitate operational and strategic decision-making processes. The market for retail and trade adhesives has improved modestly in the past year and represents a significant sector within the overall adhesives market. A wide range of end use sectors and product applications means that this market has performed better than some other product sectors within the construction and DIY markets. In the long term, the market is expected to return to good levels of average growth.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Market size and trend analysis including future prospects through to 2016.
- An assessment of end use applications in the adhesives sector.
- Analysis of product mix in the retail/trade sector for adhesives, sealants and fillers.
- Key supplier analysis and market shares.
- Analysis of distribution structure and channels, key trends and prospects.
- Review of key market influences.
- Detailed market data and insight on the retail and trade adhesives market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
3m UK, Ace Adhesives, Apollo Chemicals, Ardex UK, Azko Nobel N.V, Bartoline, BASF, Baxenden Chemicals, Beardow & Adams Adhesives, Blagden Speciality Chemicals, Bostik, Building Adhesives, Chemence, Chemetall, Clam-Brummer, Cornelius Group, CRC Industries UK, Devcon, Dow Corning, Eastman Chemical, EMS-Chemie (UK), Everbuild Building Products, Evonik Degussa UK Holdings, F Ball and Co. Galino, Geocel, Granfix Products, Halls Beeline, HB Fuller, Henkel, Hodgson Sealants, Huntsman Advanced Materials, Hylomar, Instarmac Group, Itac, Larsen (Manufacturing), Leeson Polyurethanes, Lord Corp (Europe), Lucite International Speciality Polymers and Resins, Mapei (UK), Minco Sampling Techniques (UK), Momentive Specialty Chemicals UK, Nicholls and Clarke, Norcros Adhesives, Palace Chemicals, Paragon Adhesives, Parex, PCI, Permabond, Polymer Systems Technology, Power Adhesives, Resdev, Robnor Resins Systems, Rohm and Haas, Ronseal, Rustins Ltd, Saint Gobain Weber, Sealock, Sika AG, Siroflex, Solutia, Solvay Chemicals, Soudal (UK), Structural Adhesives, Synthomer, Tetrosyl, Toupret, Tremco Illbruck, UHU.
Retail and Trade Adhesives, Sealants, Fillers Market
- Market size from 2006-2011 for adhesives, sealants & fillers by value. Current trends and key market influences, recent history, economic influences, the impact of the house moving and housebuilding sectors etc.
- Future prospects, likely future trends, market forecasts to 2016. Key influencing factors and impacts going forward.
- Product mix by value - adhesives, sealants & fillers.
- Key market influences - general trends in the adhesives market, construction, house moving and international trade.
- Review of key end-use markets - including floor coverings, wall coverings and tiling. Recent history, forecasts by sector, key influences, impacts on the retail and trade adhesives market.
Product Review - Adhesives, Sealants, Fillers
- Value of the key product sectors - product mix 2011 and forecasts to 2016. Assessment of the performance of flooring adhesives, wallpaper paste, tile adhesive and grout and general purpose adhesive. Key influences in each sector and future prospects in each sector.
- Assessment of the performance of sealants and fillers, key influences in each sector and future prospects in each sector.
- Key trends and influencing factors for main sectors to 2016.
- Identification of key manufacturers and suppliers. Structure of the supply chain.
- Market share analysis for key suppliers.
- Review of recent key activities, turnover analysis where appropriate.
Distribution Structure - Supply Chain Review
- Analysis of key channels - direct supply, merchants/distributors, internet etc. Share by channel.
- Review of key channels - relative strengths of channels in different end use markets, profile analysis of key distributors.
- Future influences - construction, housebuilding, DIY expenditure, self build market etc.
- Micro market influences likely in the future for specific products.
- Likely future performance of key supply and distribution channels.
- Macro-economic influences - performance of UK economy to 2016.
In 2011, the UK market for retail and trade adhesives was estimated to be worth £156 million. This represents a rise of 2% on 2010. As a mature market, the adhesives market generally follows the economy and has therefore experienced difficult trading conditions in recent years. The market is expected to return to modest rates of growth of 1-3% once the economy and the market recovers, boosted by the expected improvement in output in new build and RMI. Factors supporting the market include a modest return of consumer confidence, and spending and recovery in the housebuilding sector. Factors negatively affecting market growth include low levels of construction in new build and RMI, ongoing Government budget reductions and a slow take up by the commercial construction sector.
Adhesives account for just under two thirds of market value, whilst Sealants and Fillers make up the remainder. Adhesives are achieving growth through improving environmental credentials as well as through product developments improving appearance and functionality, in expanding to greater areas of DIY and construction use. The leading suppliers to this market in the UK are Bostik, Henkel, Akzo Nobel, Everbuild and Building Adhesives Ltd (BAL). These five companies account for around three quarters of the market.
DIY Multiples represent the largest distribution channel for retail and trade adhesive products and are particularly strong in the fillers market. It is unlikely, in the short to medium term, that they will relinquish their hold on these markets and are more likely to strengthen their share as the building materials market becomes more focused towards DIY as the house building sector remains in the doldrums and government budget cuts continue to affect major construction projects. Imports of adhesives grew by 6% in 2011 and the market remains under pressure from imports from Asia and Eastern Europe. This is mainly attributed to the large global operators consolidating manufacturing in lower cost overseas areas.
Although exports improved by 19% in 2011, the UK remains a net importer of adhesives and indications are that it will be increasingly dominated by lower cost imports, with domestic manufacturing becoming less viable as the industry becomes increasingly global in its approach toward supply and marketing. The adhesives market is expected to experience no growth in 2012, as trading conditions remain volatile and the economy remains flat. In the medium term, once the market has recovered, it is expected to return to modest growth levels of 1-3%. By 2016 the market is forecast to be on its way to recovery resulting in a market value forecast of £173 million, which will represent an 11% growth on 2011. This will be driven by the improving economy but limited by the maturity of the market overall.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 4
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 5
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 5
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. TRADE ADHESIVES MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 18
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX 21
- 4.4 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 23
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 30
- 4.5.1 Domestic and Non-Domestic New Work 30
- 4.5.2 House Moving 31
- 4.5.3 RMI Expenditure 32
- 5. RETAIL & TRADE ADHESIVE & SEALANT PRODUCTS 35
- 5.1 ADHESIVES 35
- 5.1.1 Tile Adhesives & Grout 35
- 5.1.2 Flooring Adhesives 40
- 5.1.3 Wallpaper Paste 44
- 5.1.4 General Purpose Adhesives 47
- 5.2 FILLERS 50
- 5.3 SEALANTS 51
- 6. COMPANIES 54
- 6.1 MARKET SHARES 54
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIERS 55
- 6.2.1 Key Suppliers 55
- 6.2.2 Other Suppliers 57
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 68
- 7.1 CHANNEL SHARE 68
- 7.2 KEY CHANNELS 69
- 7.2.1 DIY Multiples 69
- 7.2.2 Merchants & Distributors 72
- 7.2.3 Tile Distributors & Retailers 77
- 7.2.4 Online Retailers & Others 79
- 7.2.5 High Street Chains/Grocery Multiples/Stationers 80
- 7.2.6 Electrical Wholesalers 80
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK TRADE ADHESIVES AND SEALANTS MARKET 2006-2016 (£M MSP) 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2012 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 10
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016 12
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016 13
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6 TOTAL UK TRADE ADHESIVES & SEALANTS MARKET 2006-2016 (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 7 PRODUCT MIX RETAIL/TRADE SECTOR - ADHESIVES, FILLERS, SEALANTS 2011 22
- CHART 8 MARKET SHARE BY PRODUCT 2009-2015 BY VALUE -ADHESIVES, FILLERS, SEALANTS (£M MSP) 23
- CHART 9 INTERNATIONAL TRADE SUMMARY 2006-2011 EXPORTS, IMPORTS (£M) 24
- CHART 10 INTERNATIONAL TRADE BY PRODUCTS ADHESIVES, SEALANTS 2008-2011 25
- CHART 11 TRADE IN PREPARED ADHESIVES AND GLUES 2009-2011 (£M) 26
- CHART 12 TRADE IN SEALANTS, MASTICS, PAINTERS' FILLERS AND GLAZIERS' PUTTIES 2009-2011 (£M) 27
- TABLE 13 INTERNATIONAL TRADING PARTNERS IN ADHESIVES AND GLUES IN 2011 - % VALUE 28
- TABLE 14 INTERNATIONAL TRADING PARTNERS IN SEALANTS AND FILLERS IN 2011 - % VALUE 29
- CHART 15 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN)- ALL NEW WORK & RMI -CURRENT PRICES (£ BILLION) 2008 -2015 30
- TABLE 16 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40,000 OR MORE (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) UK 2006-2010 ('000S) 32
- TABLE 17 DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC RMI OUTPUT 2008-2014 (£M) 33
- TABLE 18 DIY MULTIPLES' SHARE OF THE UK PRIVATE HOUSING RMI ACTIVITY 2008-2011 34
- TABLE 19 PRODUCTS MIX ADHESIVES 2011 BY VALUE - GENERAL, TILING, FLOORING & WALLPAPER PASTE 35
- TABLE 20 UK CERAMIC TILE MARKET 2008-2014 (£M MSP) 36
- CHART 21 PRODUCT MIX TILE ADHESIVES AND GROUTS 2011 38
- CHART 22 END USER MIX TILE ADHESIVE AND GROUT 2012 - % BY VALUE 39
- TABLE 23 THE UK MARKET FOR FLOORCOVERINGS BY VALUE 2008 - 2014 (£ MILLION AT MSP) 42
- TABLE 24 UK MARKET FOR WALLCOVERINGS 2008 - 2014 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 45
- TABLE 25 MARKET SHARES IN THE UK RETAIL/TRADE ADHESIVE MARKET 2011 54
- TABLE 26 DISTRIBUTION OF RETAIL/TRADE ADHESIVE, SEALANT AND FILLER 2011 68
- CHART 27 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE - BY VALUE 2011 69
- CHART 28 MERCHANTS' OVERALL MARKET SHARES 2011 72
The 'Retail and Trade Adhesives Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis' costs £495+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.