Non-Domestic RMI Products Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis
Published: 05/10/2011 / Number of Pages: 79 / Price:
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 1st edition of the 'Non-Domestic Repair, Maintenance and Improvement (RMI) Products Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis'. The report offers a unique review of this market valued at around £2.2bn, focusing on the products used within repair, maintenance and improvement in the non domestic market including commercial offices, retail, entertainment & leisure, manufacturing & warehousing, energy & utilities and privatised transport services.
Key areas covered by the report include:
- Specific Analysis of the RMI market - sector sizes & trends, key market influences, mix by end use sector, forecasts and potential opportunities as the market sector recovers.
- Review of Key End Use Areas - Sector sizes, key market influences and trends, future prospects and areas of opportunity.
- Review of Market Structure and Leading Providers - changing supply structure, diversification of service provision and company profiles for the leading contractors within the non-domestic sector.
The non domestic RMI Market exhibited steady growth over the majority of the last decade, with most end-use sectors benefiting from the healthy state of the economy. While the impact of the recession has been felt in the RMI industry it is expected that 2011 and 2012 will be more positive in comparison to the new build sector, reflecting the "need" based nature of this sector. Also the demand for improved operating efficiencies for business is creating demand for easily retro-fittable products which offer lower running costs and this is also providing a stimulus to this RMI sector. The report contains an assessment of these and other market trends and influences, with analysis of future prospects.
Key issues of particular interest:
- Market activity within the non domestic sector from 2005 to 2010, with forecasts through to 2015.
- Analysis of product segments and trends within non-domestic RMI.
- End use sector trends including market share analysis within the non domestic RMI market.
Some of the companies featured include:
Apollo Group, Babcock International Group, Bailey Limited, Balfour Beatty Group, Carillion Facilities Management, City Refrigeration, Crown House Technologies, Emcor Group (UK), Imtech Technical Services, Initial Facilities Management, Integral UK, Interserve Facilities Management, ISS UK, Kier, Mitie, Norland Managed Services, OCS Group, RG Carter Construction, Shepherd Construction, Skanska Rashleigh Weatherfoil, Sodexo Facilities Management, SPIE Matthew Hall, SSE Contracting, T Clarke, Vinci Facilities, Willmott Dixon.
RMI Products within the Non-Domestic Sector
- Review of the non-domestic RMI product market - estimates of market size from 2005-2010, with forecasts for the period from 2011 to 2015.
- Key market influences - macroeconomic factors, construction output, and international trade. Market maturity in most end use sectors. Future opportunities and threats.
- Market mix among non-domestic End Use Application Areas - Offices, Retail, Leisure and Other.
- Product mix within Non domestic RMI - key categories and analysis of product markets within these categories.
Key End Use Sectors
- Commercial Offices - sector performance, key influences, take-up and vacancy rates in Central London, Regional office review. RMI influences and trends. Future prospects and opportunities.
- Education - sector performance and key influences across primary, secondary and tertiary. RMI influences and trends. Future prospects and opportunities.
- Health - overview of UK public sector. RMI influences and trends. Future prospects and opportunities.
- 'Other' End Use Sectors - sector reviews for Manufacturing & Warehousing, Energy & Utilities and Privatised Transport Services. RMI influences and trends. Future prospects and opportunities.
- Market size, growth and trends for each major product area - Electrical, Security & Lighting, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Hardware, Tools, Ironmongery, Decorating, Cement & Plaster Products, Plumbing & Drainage and Others.
- Product mix for the RMI sector, size of the different RMI product markets, including the following; Electrical, Security & Lighting, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Hardware, Tools, Ironmongery, Decorating, Cement & Plaster Products, Plumbing & Drainage and Others.
- Review of growth sectors, product development and new opportunities.
- Review of RMI products Supply Structure.
- Market profiles for leading contractors within non domestic RMI covering general building contractors, FM providers, HVAC contractors and M&E contractors - outline includes company size, growth trends, areas of specialization, sector strengths and major contracts.
The Non Domestic Repair, Maintenance and Improvement (RMI) market is a mature market and as such performance tends to mirror that of the overall economy. The market therefore exhibited good growth through much of the decade, before declining in 2009 as the UK went through a recession. In 2010, the market for non domestic RMI products was estimated to be worth £2.26 billion. The RMI market has outperformed new build construction with growth continuing through 2008 and a relatively low level decline in 2010 as end users continue to carry out essential works and some low level improvements. The market was further supported by expenditure in the public sector through 2008 and into 2009. However, this positive influence will decline as public sector expenditure is revised down.
Factors influencing the RMI market in recent years include underlying development and investment in end use sectors, a backlog of maintenance needing urgent attention in the public sector and increasing prices of construction materials, adding value to the market. Legislation regarding health and safety and increased energy and resource efficiency has benefited the market in recent years, with upgrading of systems and increased maintenance requirements, although this has slowed somewhat as poor trading conditions are forcing direct replacement rather than improvements where possible.
The supply chain for RMI products is complex and fragmented due to the wide variety of products available and differing methods of delivery. As more RMI work is being outsourced, contractors are becoming an increasingly important channel of distribution for products, with general building contractors, HVAC and M&E contractors and also FM providers of growing importance in the supply chain.
Lighting is the largest single product category within non domestic RMI, with other electrical products, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, hardware, tools and ironmongery also significant sectors.
Commercial offices were the largest end users of RMI products in 2010 driven by a need to maintain facilities to a high level in order to project a good image, with education and healthcare also supporting the market with programmes such as the Primary Capital Programme and improvements to GP surgeries and community clinics aiding this.
The maturity of the non domestic RMI products market is likely to limit growth potential, with the market remaining reliant on growth of the economy and expansion of organisations to add value. Levels of new build construction output have a strong impact in the market, with RMI contracts often set up on the uptake of new business premises and increasingly linked to full or bundled FM services. London is leading the recovery in the office market and while vacant space in the capital is now reducing, difficulties in raising finance are constraining the commencement of speculative development. Bearing in mind the long lead times for major office developments, construction output is forecast to improve only in the medium to longer term.
From 2011 the market is expected to return to marginal growth, increasing to average growth levels of 3-5% from 2012, with a resultant market of £2.7 billion forecast for 2015.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 5
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE NON DOMESTIC RMI PRODUCTS MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 18
- 4.2.1 Market Size 18
- 4.2.2 Mix of In House Versus Contracted 20
- 4.3 KEY INFLUENCES ON THE RMI SECTOR 22
- 4.3.1 RMI Output 22
- 4.3.2 Construction Material Prices 24
- 4.3.3 International Trade 25
- 5. END USE SECTORS 28
- 5.1 END USER MIX 28
- 5.2 COMMERCIAL OFFICES 28
- 5.3 EDUCATION 32
- 5.4 HEALTH 37
- 5.5 OTHER END USERS 39
- 5.5.1 Retail 39
- 5.5.2 Leisure & Entertainment 42
- 5.5.3 Other End Use Sectors 46
- 6. PRODUCT GROUPS USED IN RMI APPLICATIONS 48
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 48
- 6.2 LIGHTING, SECURITY & ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 49
- 6.2.1 Lighting 49
- 6.2.2 Electronic Security, Access control and Fire Protection 51
- 6.3 HEATING, VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING 53
- 6.3.1 Air Conditioning Systems 54
- 6.3.2 Ventilation 55
- 6.4 HARDWARE, TOOLS & IRONMONGERY 57
- 6.4.1 Architectural Ironmongery 57
- 6.4.2 Tools 59
- 6.4.3 Adhesives & Sealants 62
- 6.5 DECORATING PRODUCTS 63
- 6.6 OTHER PRODUCTS 64
- 7. CONTRACTOR PROFILES 65
- 7.1 SUPPLY CHAIN 65
- 7.2 LEADING CONTRACTORS 67
- 7.3 LEADING FM COMPANIES 71
- 7.4 LEADING M&E CONTRACTORS 74
- 7.5 LEADING HVAC & REFRIGERATION CONTRACTORS 78
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK RMI PRODUCTS MARKET AT CURRENT PRICES 2005-2015 (£BN) 7
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2015 12
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2015 13
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2011 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000) 16
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR NON-DOMESTIC RMI PRODUCTS 2005-5015 (£M) 19
- CHART 7 UK NON-CORE SERVICES MARKET BY TYPE OF OPERATION 2010 (IN HOUSE VERSUS CONTRACTED OUT) 21
- TABLE 8 REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE SERVICE PROVISION - MIX OF IN-HOUSE AND OUTSOURCED PROVISION 2010 22
- TABLE 9 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT RMI 2005-2015 (£M) 23
- TABLE 10 CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL PRICE INDICES 2005-2011 24
- CHART 11 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN SELECTED RMI PRODUCTS (£M) 2008-2010 26
- CHART 12 NON-DOMESTIC RMI PRODUCTS END USER % MIX BY VALUE 2010 (OFFICE, HEALTH, EDUCATION, LEISURE ETC) 28
- CHART 13 CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET - OFFICE TAKE UP (M SQ. FT.) 29
- CHART 14 CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET - OFFICE VACANCY RATES (%) 30
- TABLE 15 PROJECTS AWARDED £1 MILLION + FUNDING UNDER THE ACADEMIES CAPITAL MAINTENANCE PROGRAMME 2011/12 34
- CHART 16 BUILDING REPAIR MAINTENANCE AND IMPROVEMENT EXPENDITURE IN EDUCATION BY VALUE 2009/10 (SECONDARY, HIGHER, PRIMARY ETC) 35
- TABLE 17 TOTAL REVENUE PROPERTY COSTS AND RMI EXPENDITURE IN THE HIGHER EDUCATION SECTOR 2003-2009 36
- CHART 18 END USERS % MIX OF BUILDING SERVICES BY VALUE 2009/10 (PCT, MENTAL, ACUTE, CARE, AMBULANCE) 38
- CHART 19 UK NON-FOOD RETAILING - MARKET SECTOR SHARES 2010 (CLOTHING, DIY, ELECTRICAL, FURNITURE, OTHERS) 40
- CHART 20 RETAIL SPACE UNDER CONSTRUCTION 2005 - 2010 (MILLION SQ. FT.) FOR SHOPPING CENTRES, RETAIL PARKS & SUPERMARKETS. 41
- TABLE 21 TOP UK RESTAURANT OPERATORS - 2011 44
- CHART 22 RMI PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2010 (%) 48
- TABLE 23 NON-DOMESTIC RMI PRODUCT MARKET VALUES (£M) 2010 49
- CHART 24 UK LIGHTING MARKET - DOMESTIC AND NON DOMESTIC MIX BY VALUE 2010 50
- TABLE 25 VENTILATION MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE 2009 56
- TABLE 26 UK HARDWARE MARKET SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP 2010 (LOCKS, HINGES, HANDLES, DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, WINDOW LOCKS, TILT'N'TURN ETC) (%) 58
- CHART 27 PRODUCT CATEGORY MIX BY VALUE 2010 59
- CHART 28 MIX BY HAND AND POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2010 61
- CHART 29 SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 66
- TABLE 30 LEADING CONTRACTORS PROVIDING GENERAL BUILDING REFURBISHMENT & RMI 2010 67
- TABLE 31 LEADING FM SUPPORT SERVICES COMPANIES IN THE UK 71
- TABLE 32 LEADING M&E CONTRACTORS IN THE UK 74
- TABLE 33 LEADING HVAC & REFRIGERATION CONTRACTORS 2010 78
The 'Non-Domestic RMI Products Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis' costs £495+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.