Roofing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 24/09/2015 / Number of Pages: 87 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 10th edition of the 'Roofing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis', which provides a comprehensive and up-to-date review of the market for roof coverings. Focusing on market size, trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, this market report provides detailed insight into the different roof covering methods across both residential and non-residential applications.
Key products covered:
- Roof tiles and slates - including concrete tiles, clay tiles, natural slates, artificial slates and fibre cement slates.
- Flat roofing systems - bitumen membrane system felts, single ply membranes, liquid roofing systems.
- Profiled metal roofing systems - built-up profiled steel and aluminium panels, stainless steel and aluminium composite panels, standing seam roofing constitutes.
- Rooflights - in-plane and out-of-plane.
- Niche roofing products - shingles, fully supported metal roofing, green roofs etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance from 2010-2014, with forecasts to 2019. Review of the key factors influencing the overall market and those influencing the individual product sectors.
- Detailed review of roofing product groups - roof tiles and slates, flat roofing systems, profiled metal roofing systems, rooflights and niche roofing products - market size by value and volume, key trends and market influences, product mixes.
- Review of key suppliers for each product group and market shares by sector.
- Distribution review - distribution structure, key channels such as roofing merchants, specialists, builders merchants, DIY multiples, direct supply etc. Key players in each distribution channel.
- Overview of the roofing contracting sector - number of companies, end use sector mix, contractor profiles.
Some of the companies included:
Alumasc Exterior Building Products, Arcelor Mittal, Ash & Lacy Building Systems, Bauder, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, CA Group, Cembrit, Chesterfelt, Dreadnought Tiles, Duplus Architectural Systems, Euro Clad, Fatra UK, Firth Steels, Forticrete, Garland Company UK, Hambleside Danelaw, Hanson UK, Hertalan UK, Hinton Perry & Davenhill, Icopal, IKO UK, Jet Cox, Keymer Tiles, Kingspan Group, Langley Waterproofing Systems, Lindab, Marley Eternit, Monier Redland, Protan UK, Raven Roofing & Building Supplies, Renolit Waterproofing, RigiSystems, Rose Roofing, Russell Roof Tiles, Sandtoft Roof Tiles, SIG, Sika, Soprema UK, SSQ UK, Tata Steel Europe, Tor Coatings, Ubbink (UK), Umicore, Welsh Slate.
- UK roofing market - market definition, size and product mix. Performance and changes in market in recent years, market trends since 2010.
- Review of the key drivers influencing the market -product issues, legislative and regulatory developments, construction and housebuilding output, skills shortages etc.
- Future prospects - performance in 2015/16 and forecasts to 2019, key factors influencing future trends, key areas of growth/decline.
- Product groups reviewed - product mix- roofing tiles, membranes & felts, metal roofing and roof glazing.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mixes, market sizes and forecasts to 2019.
- UK market for roofing tiles - size by value 2009-2019, key influencing factors, prospects. Markets for concrete tiles, clay tiles, natural slats and fibre slates by value 2009-2019. Volumes 2009-2014. Key suppliers and market shares.
- UK market for flat roofing membranes - size by value 2009-2019. Product mix - bitumen felts, single ply membranes, liquid roofing - key issues, areas of growth, key applications, import trends, key suppliers and market shares.
- UK market for profiled metal roofing - size by value 2009-2019, key influencing factors & prospects, product mix (composite, twin skin, single sheets, standing seam), suppliers & market shares.
- UK market for rooflights - size by value 2009-2019, trends, key suppliers.
- Niche sectors - shingles, green roofing, fully supported metal roofing - estimates of market size, key suppliers etc.
- Distribution mix by value - roofing merchants, direct supply, specialists, builders' merchants, DIY multiples, others.
- Analysis of channels and identification of key players in each sector - roofing merchants, builders merchants, direct etc.
- Analysis of structure of contracting sector - by number of enterprises, turnovers and employee numbers.
- Application mix by value - domestic, commercial and industrial; newbuild, RMI.
- Key contractor reviews - over 40 companies e.g. Briggs Amasco, Avonside, Prater, Lakesmere, etc.
The roofing market as a whole is estimated to have grown by around 4.5% in 2014, following a period of relatively poor performance, with a decline in 2012 and a modest increase in 2013. Driven largely by the Help to Buy schemes and a shift back from flats to houses, demand for roof tiles has outpaced supply over the past few years. Over the short to medium term, reasonable volume growth is expected, largely driven by private housebuilding activity.
Roof tiles account for the largest share of the market by value, with concrete tiles constituting the largest sub-sector by both value and volume. Clay tiles are also significant, while fibre cement and natural slates occupying relatively small niches. Housebuilding and domestic re-roofing are the largest applications although commercial usage is also important. Profiled metal roofing is almost as large in value terms, although applications are almost exclusively limited to warehousing, industrial buildings, airport structures, waste management facilities and retail 'sheds'.
Flat roof membranes & felts account for around 15%, with reinforced bitumen membranes dominating this sector. Single ply membranes are increasing in popularity and account for almost a third of the market. In the longer term these products are expected to show higher than average growth. The rooflights sector is also an important sector in terms of value while other hard-to-quantify niche markets such as fully supported metal roofing, bitumen & cedar shingles, account for smaller shares.
The distribution of roofing materials varies significantly between different product sectors. Builders' merchants and roofing merchants are the key routes to market for suppliers of concrete and clay tiles. As the majority of roofing slates are imported, independent importer and distribution networks are the main channels. Imports are largely limited to natural slates, which dominate this particular sub-sector of the UK roof coverings market. In the profiled sheets and tiles sectors, both import and export levels are low. With flat roofing systems mainly used on commercial buildings, the main channels are roofing merchants and direct sales. Builders' merchants typically only supply bitumen felts for RMI and extension projects.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE UK ROOF COVERING PRODUCTS MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 18
- 4.3 KEY MARKET DRIVERS 21
- 4.3.1 General Construction Activity 21
- 4.3.2 Flats Construction Trends 24
- 4.3.3 Skills Shortages 25
- 4.3.4 Changes to Part L 26
- 4.4 PRODUCT MIX 27
- 5. ROOF TILES AND SLATES 28
- 5.1 DEFINITION 28
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 28
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIXES 30
- 5.3.1 Overview 30
- 5.3.2 Concrete Roof Tiles 31
- 5.3.3 New Clay Roof Tiles 33
- 5.3.4 Natural Worked Slates 36
- 5.3.5 Fibre Cement Slates 38
- 5.4. SUPPLY 39
- 5.4.1 Market Shares 39
- 5.4.2 Key Suppliers 39
- 6. FLAT ROOF MEMBRANES 42
- 6.1 DEFINITION 42
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 45
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 47
- 6.3.1 Overview 47
- 6.3.2 Bitumen Membranes 48
- 6.3.3 Single Ply Membranes 50
- 6.3.4 Liquid Roofing 51
- 6.3.5 Other Products 51
- 6.4 SUPPLY 52
- 6.4.1 Market Shares 52
- 6.4.2 Key Suppliers 53
- 7. PROFILED METAL ROOFING PANELS 57
- 7.1 DEFINITION 57
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 57
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 59
- 7.4 SUPPLY 60
- 7.4.1 Market Shares 60
- 7.4.2 Key Suppliers 61
- 8. ROOFLIGHTS 64
- 8.1 DEFINITION 64
- 8.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 64
- 8.3 SUPPLY 66
- 9. NICHE ROOFING PRODUCTS 68
- 9.1 SHINGLES 68
- 9.2 FULLY SUPPORTED METAL ROOFING PRODUCTS 70
- 9.3 GREEN ROOFS 71
- 10. DISTRIBUTION 74
- 10.1 OVERVIEW 74
- 10.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 76
- 10.2.1 Roofing Merchants 76
- 10.2.2 Builders' Merchants 77
- 10.2.3 Other Specialist Distributors 78
- 10.2.4 Direct Supply 78
- 11. ROOFING CONTRACTING 79
- 11.1 STRUCTURE 79
- 11.2 TYPE OF WORK UNDERTAKEN 80
- 11.3 LEADING ROOFING CONTRACTORS 82
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK ROOFING MARKET 2009-2019 BY VALUE (MSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 14
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR ROOF COVERING PRODUCTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009-2019 19
- CHART 7 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2010-2019 21
- CHART 8 UK HOUSING COMPLETIONS - ('000 DWELLINGS) 2010 - 2019 22
- CHART 9 NON-HOUSING CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2014 23
- CHART 10 NUMBER OF FLATS BUILT IN ENGLAND ('000S) 2007/08 -2018/19 24
- TABLE 11 UK ROOFING CONTRACTING INDUSTRY -NUMBER OF FIRMS AND TRADESMEN 25
- CHART 12 PRODUCT MIX UK ROOFING SYSTEMS MARKET % BY VALUE 27
- TABLE 13 UK MARKET FOR ROOF TILES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009-2019 29
- CHART 14 UK ROOF TILES % MIX BY TYPE BY VALUE 30
- CHART 15 UK ROOF TILES % MIX BY END USE SECTOR 31
- TABLE 16 UK MARKET FOR CONCRETE ROOF TILES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019 32
- TABLE 17 GB MARKET FOR CONCRETE ROOF TILES - BY VOLUME (DELIVERIES, '000 M2 ) 2009 -2014 33
- TABLE 18 UK MARKET FOR NEW CLAY ROOF TILES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009-2019 34
- TABLE 19 UK MARKET FOR NEW CLAY ROOFING TILES BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M2) 2009-14 34
- TABLE 20 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CLAY ROOFING TILES BY NUMBER OF UNITS AND BY VALUE (£M) 2010-2014 35
- TABLE 21 UK MARKET FOR WORKED ROOF SLATES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019 36
- TABLE 22 UK MARKET FOR NEW WORKED ROOF SLATES BY AREA INSTALLED (M2) 2009-2014 37
- TABLE 23 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN WORKED SLATE BY VALUE (£M) 2010-2014 37
- TABLE 24 UK MARKET FOR FIBRE CEMENT SLATES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019 38
- CHART 25 MARKET SHARES OF ROOF TILE SUPPLIERS 39
- CHART 26 UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET FOR WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019 45
- CHART 27 UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET BY AREA OF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES FITTED (MILLION M2) 2010 -2019 46
- CHART 28 FLAT ROOF MEMBRANES PRODUCT MIX BY TYPE BY AREA INSTALLED 47
- CHART 29 UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR BITUMEN MEMBRANES BY FIXING METHOD BY AREA INSTALLED 2014 49
- CHART 30 UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY MATERIAL TYPE BY APPROXIMATE AREA INSTALLED. 50
- TABLE 31 UK MARKET SHARES FOR SUPPLIERS OF FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS 52
- CHART 32 IMPORTS OF BITUMEN FELTS BY COUNTRY, VOLUME AND VALUE 53
- TABLE 33 UK MARKET FOR PROFILED METAL ROOFING SYSTEMS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009 -2019 58
- TABLE 34 UK MARKET FOR METAL ROOF PANEL SYSTEMS BY AREA INSTALLED 2009 - 2014 60
- TABLE 35 UK MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS OF METAL ROOFING 61
- TABLE 36 UK MARKET FOR ROOFLIGHTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019 65
- CHART 37 OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION WITHIN THE UK ROOFING MARKET 74
- CHART 38 TYPICAL OVERALL DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR ROOFING PRODUCTS BY VALUE 75
- TABLE 39 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ROOFING ACTIVITIES REGISTERED FOR VAT BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE BAND 2014 79
- TABLE 40 MIX OF DOMESTIC AND COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL WORK UNDERTAKEN IN 2014 - SHARE BY VALUE 80
- CHART 41 MIX BY TYPE OF WORK UNDERTAKEN BY ROOFING CONTRACTORS (HOUSEBUILDING, NON-HOUSING NEWBUILD, RMI) BY VALUE 81
- CHART 42 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ROOFING ACTIVITIES REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND (%) 2003-2013 82
The 'Roofing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.