Roofing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 24/08/2017 / Number of Pages: 92 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 11th Edition of the 'Roofing Market Report UK - 2017-2021 Analysis' focuses on market size, trends, product mix, supply, distribution and prospects, and provides a comprehensive and detailed insight into the different roof covering products across both residential and non-residential applications. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to have an impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure, key national distributors and recent developments in the market.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2021 - market size and factors impacting on the market.
- Analysis by product group - roof tiles and slates, flat roofing membranes, metal panel roofing systems, rooflights, bespoke glazing, shingles, fully supported metal roofing etc. - market sizes, key influencing factors, prospects, product mixes and distribution. Key suppliers and market shares.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance from 2012 to 2017 with forecasts to 2021 - review of the key market drivers; housebuilding, non-domestic newbuild, housing RMI, 'green' roofing, skills issues.
- Product group analysis - market sizes by value and volume, influences, trends, product mixes for; roof tiles & slates, flat roof membranes, metal roofing panels.
- Review of key suppliers - Shares of major suppliers within product sector.
- Review of key distribution channels - channel shares; reviews of specialists, merchants etc.
- Review of the roofing contracting sector - breakdown by turnover bands, major contractor reviews.
- Detailed market data and insight on the roofing market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Marley Eternit, Monier Redland, Wienerberger, Cembrit, Russell Building Products, Welsh Slate Ltd, Forticrete Roofing Products, Lagan Cement Products, IKO Plc, Icopal, Rose Roofing, Chesterfelt, Bauder Ltd, Soprema UK, Fatra UK, Axter, Kingspan Insulated Panels, CA Group, Euroclad, Tata Steel Building Systems UK, Ash and Lacy Building Systems, Coverworld UK, Firth Steels, Omnis Exteriors, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, Whitesales, Xtralite, Glazing Vision, SIG Roofing, Burton Roofing Merchants Ltd, Rinus Roofing Supplies Ltd, Chandlers Building Supplies Holdings Ltd, Raven Roofing and Building Supplies Ltd, Alltype Roofing Supplies Ltd, and many more.
- UK roofing market - market definition, size and product mix. Performance and changes in market in recent years; trends 2012 to 2016.
- Review of the key drivers - Non-residential construction and housebuilding output, skills shortages etc
- Future market prospects - 2017 to 2021, key factors influencing future trends, key areas of growth/decline.
- Product groups reviewed - product mix- roofing tiles, membranes & felts, metal roofing and roof glazing.
- UK market for roofing tiles - size by value 2012-2021, key influencing factors, prospects. Markets for concrete tiles, clay tiles, natural slates and fibre slates by value 2012-2021. Key suppliers and market shares.
- UK market for flat roofing membranes - size by value 2012-2021. Product mix - bitumen felts, single ply membranes, liquid roofing - key issues, areas of growth, key applications, import trends, key suppliers and market shares.
- UK market for profiled metal roofing - size by value 2012-2021, key influencing factors & prospects, product mix (composite, twin skin, single sheets, standing seam), suppliers & market shares.
- UK market for rooflights - size by value 2012-2021, trends, key suppliers.
- Niche sectors - shingles, green roofing, fully supported metal roofing - estimates of market size, key suppliers etc.
- Distribution mix by value - roofing merchants, direct supply, specialists, builders' merchants, DIY multiples, others.
- Profiles of key distributors - company structure, estimates of market shares, product mix and portfolio analysis.
- Analysis of contracting sector - by number of enterprises, turnovers and employee numbers.
- Application mix by value - domestic, commercial and industrial; newbuild, RMI.
- Key contractor reviews - over 40 companies e.g. Briggs Amasco, Avonside, Prater, Lakesmere, etc.
Since 2012, demand for roof coverings has been supported by the growth of housebuilding and domestic RMI, along with increased output in a number of commercial and industrial new build & refurbishment markets. However, tendering for commercial and housebuilding roofing projects has remained highly competitive under challenging market conditions, with many firms putting in low bids to secure work. Since 2015, an acceleration in the shortage of skilled roofers has resulted in demand for higher wages has also contributed towards an overall reduction in margins.
Overall market trends are largely determined by levels of demand for concrete roof tiles and metal panel systems, which accounted for around half of total sales between them in 2016. While concrete tiles are used on commercial buildings, the main source of increasing demand has been volume housebuilding. Competing products include new clay tiles and, to a lesser degree, fibre cement and natural slates. Demand for roof tiles and slates is relatively lower within the commercial and industrial newbuild & major re-roofing and RMI sectors, with flat roofing and metal roofing systems being used more. Demand for these has grown since 2013, driven by increased levels of output in the industrial, mixed used (offices, leisure and retail), stand-alone office and education markets.
The distribution of roofing materials varies significantly between different product sectors. Builders' merchants and roofing merchants are the key routes to market for suppliers of concrete and clay tiles while as the majority of roofing slates are imported, independent importers and distribution networks are the main channels in this sector. With flat roofing systems mainly used on commercial buildings, the main channels are roofing merchants and direct sales. Direct supply from the manufacturer is the main route to market for profiled metal roofing projects, which often require bespoke structures, requiring the contractor to work closely with the manufacturer.
There are several factors set to negatively impact the construction market, having a knock-on effect for the roofing market. Uncertainty following Brexit and the general election appears to be undermining confidence within the UK construction industry. Brexit also looks set to undermine the amount of overseas investment in the UK's construction sector and reduce the number of skilled tradesmen from the EU which would force the cancellation and abandonment of many developments. That said there are a number of more positive factors as far as the roofing sector is concerned. In particular the roofing sector is driven by both the RMI and new build side and the RMI side is in turn driven by need or necessity as opposed to style or design. As such the market remains supported, even during difficult economic times, as if the roof needs to be repaired that cannot be easily delayed or postponed. A further positive factor is that the housebuilding market remains very positive in the sense that demand levels are high and the Government has indicated that it wants to support the affordable sector with various schemes. That should provide some stimulus to the roofing sector.
Bearing these conflicting factors in mind we forecast a stabilisation in demand for roofing products through to 2021, with more positive market growth at the latter part of the forecast period, reflecting some improvement in confidence and the economy, as the impact of the EU exit settles down.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. UK ROOF COVERING PRODUCTS MARKET 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 19
- 4.2.1 Market Background 19
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 21
- 4.3 KEY MARKET DRIVERS 21
- 4.3.1 Housebuilding 21
- 4.3.2 Commercial, Industrial & Public Sector Construction 25
- 4.3.3 Housing RMI 30
- 4.3.4 Skills Shortages 32
- 5. ROOF TILES AND SLATES 34
- 5.1 DEFINITION 34
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 34
- 5.2.1 Market Size and Trends 34
- 5.2.2 Product and User Mixes 36
- 5.2.3 Concrete Roof Tiles 37
- 5.2.4 New Clay Roof Tiles 38
- 5.2.5 Natural Worked Slates 40
- 5.2.6 Fibre Cement Slates and Sheets 41
- 5.3. SUPPLY 42
- 5.3.1 Market Shares 42
- 5.3.2 Key Suppliers 42
- 6. FLAT ROOF MEMBRANES 45
- 6.1 DEFINITION 45
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 47
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 50
- 6.3.1 Overview 50
- 6.3.2 Bitumen Membranes 50
- 6.3.3 Single Ply Membranes 54
- 6.3.4 GRP & Other Liquid Roofing Systems 60
- 6.3.5 'Green' Roofs 61
- 6.3.6 Other Products 62
- 6.4 SUPPLIER PROFILES 62
- 7. METAL ROOFING PANELS 65
- 7.1 DEFINITION 65
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 65
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 68
- 7.4 SUPPLIERS 69
- 8. MANUFACTURED STANDARD ROOFLIGHT SYSTEMS 71
- 8.1 DEFINITION 71
- 8.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 71
- 8.3 PRODUCT MIX 72
- 8.4 END USER MIX 73
- 8.5 SUPPLY 74
- 9. NICHE ROOFING PRODUCTS 79
- 9.1 BESPOKE GLAZING SYSTEMS 79
- 9.2 ROOF SHINGLES 79
- 9.3 SUPPORTED METAL ROOFING PRODUCTS 81
- 10. DISTRIBUTION 83
- 10.1 OVERVIEW 83
- 10.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 84
- 10.2.1 Roofing Merchants 84
- 10.2.2 Other Specialist Distributors 86
- 10.2.3 Builders Merchants 86
- 11. ROOFING CONTRACTING 88
- 11.1 STRUCTURE 88
- 11.2 LEADING ROOFING CONTRACTORS 89
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK ROOF COVERINGS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR ROOF COVERINGS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 20
- CHART 7: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2012 -2021 25
- CHART 8: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 26
- CHART 9: UK OFFICE STOCK BY REGIONAL BY GIFA 28
- CHART 10: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - SHARE OF REVENUE BY SECTOR - FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC. 30
- CHART 11: RMI HOUSING OUTPUT AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 31
- TABLE 12: HOUSING RMI REGIONAL ANALYSIS (GB) BY VALUE (£M) AND % BY REGION 2014 - 2016 32
- CHART 13: UK ROOF TILES MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP, MANUFACTURERS SELLING PRICES) 2012 -2021 35
- CHART 14: UK ROOF TILES % MIX BY TYPE BY VOLUME AND VALUE 2016 36
- CHART 15: UK ROOF TILES % MIX BY END USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2016 37
- CHART 16: CONCRETE ROOF TILES MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND VOLUME (M2) SUPPLIED 2012 - 2021 38
- CHART 17: NEW CLAY ROOF TILES MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND VOLUME SUPPLIES (MILLION M2) 2012 - 2021 39
- CHART 18: UK MARKET FOR ROOF SLATES (£M MSP) 2012 - 2021 40
- CHART 19: UK MARKET FOR FIBRE CEMENT ROOFING PRODUCTS (£M MSP) 2012 - 2021 41
- CHART 20: MARKET SHARES FOR ROOF TILE SUPPLIERS 2016 42
- CHART 21: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOFING WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES (£M MSP) 2012-2021 48
- CHART 22: UK FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES MIX BY AREA INSTALLED 2016 50
- CHART 23: UK MARKET FOR BITUMEN MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2012 -2021 51
- CHART 24: UK INSTALLATION OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES ON FLAT ROOFS BY AREA BY METHOD OF APPLICATION 2016 52
- TABLE 25: MANUFACTURERS UK MARKET SHARES BY VOLUME OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES SUPPLIED 2016 53
- CHART 26: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2012 -2021 56
- CHART 27: UK DEMAND FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY END USE SECTOR BY AREA INSTALLED 2014-2016 57
- CHART 28: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY MATERIAL TYPE BY APPROXIMATE AREA INSTALLED 2016 58
- CHART 29: MANUFACTURERS ESTIMATED SHARES OF THE UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY VALUE 2016 59
- CHART 30: UK MARKET FOR METAL ROOFING PANEL SYSTEMS BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) AND VALUE (£M MSP) 2012 -2021 66
- CHART 31: TYPICAL END USE APPLICATIONS FOR METAL ROOFING PANELS BY AREA INSTALLED 2014 -2016 67
- TABLE 32: UK MARKET FOR METAL ROOF PANEL SYSTEMS BY PRODUCT TYPES BY AREA INSTALLED 2016 68
- CHART 33: UK MARKET FOR ROOFLIGHTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 71
- CHART 34: ROOFLIGHTS MARKET - ESTIMATED MIX BY MATERIAL BY VALUE 2016 72
- CHART 35: NON-RESIDENTIAL MARKET FOR ROOFLIGHTS - ESTIMATED END USER MIX BY VALUE 2016 73
- CHART 36: NON-RESIDENTIAL ROOFLIGHTS - SUPPLIERS MARKET SHARES 2016 75
- CHART 37: UK MARKET FOR BITUMEN SHINGLES BY VALUE (£M) 2012 -2016 80
- TABLE 38: UK SUPPLY OF BITUMINOUS SHINGLES -MARKET SHARE ESTIMATES 2016 81
- CHART 39: OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION WITHIN THE UK ROOFING MARKET 83
- CHART 40: TYPICAL OVERALL DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR ROOFING PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2016 84
- TABLE 41: MIX OF ROOFING CONTRACTORS BY NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES 88
The 'Roofing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.