Self Build Housing Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 19/11/2018 / Number of Pages: 73 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 7th Edition of the 'Self Build Housing Market Report - UK 2018-2022' contains analysis of the key influencing factors, recent market trends, regional analysis of self build opportunities and market prospects into the medium-term. This report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in the industry or considering entry.
Key sections covered:
- Self/custom build housing market - market size by volume and value, historical & recent trends, sector share, medium-term forecasts.
- Market Mixes - routes to market, construction methods, use of renewable energy systems. and key influences.
- Regional Analysis - activity and opportunities available for self build in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Main and distribution channels to the market - key suppliers of timber frames, SIPs, etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- The development of the self/custom build market including volume & value, trends, overall market analysis and future prospects 2013-2022.
- Analysis of factors underpinning and limiting market growth - land availability, access to finance, planning and housing policies, financial incentives to promote self build.
- Market mixes - types of self build package, construction methods, key suppliers of timber frame and SIPs.
- In depth regional analysis reviewing self/custom build activity levels and plot availability in key English regions as well as Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.
- Review of key distribution channels - builders' merchants, rise of internet/direct sales.
- Detailed market data and insight on the self build housing market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
B & M Retail, B&Q, BEW Electrical Distributors, Buildbase, City Electrical Factors, Edmundson, Electricfix, Eyre & Elliston, Grafton, Hilco Capital, Homebase, Jewson, Maxwells DIY, R&M Electrical, Rexel, Rightway Bevans, Robert Dyas, Saint Gobain, Screwfix, Taskers, The Range, Travis Perkins, Wesfarmers, Wickes, Wilko, Wolseley and YESSS.
Market Overview and Prospects
- Overview of overall UK housebuilding market-starts and completions 2013-17 and forecasts to 2022, new build, conversions and permitted rights.
- Review of the self/custom build housing sector -current estimates of market size, definitions, factors influencing definition, construction routes, role played by the public & private sectors, etc.
- Underlying influencing factors in recent years -key positive and negative influencing factors including availability and price of land, access to finance, etc.
- Current situation-factors and challenges influencing the market in 2016-17, prospects for 2018 and outlook into the medium-term including planning issues, availability of land, community infrastructure levy, etc.
- Self build costs -analysis of cost areas including, land, labour, materials, plant hire, miscellaneous costs, etc as well as review of elements of self build projects such as foundations, heating, electrics, etc.
- Market size by value and volume 2018-2022 - market trends, growth prospects, consumer confidence levels in the short to medium term.
Market Mixes and Regional Analysis
- Identification of Key Routes to Market - self manages, contractor led, client DIY, package contractors, developer built, collective custom build or community based.
- Main method of construction 2017-18 - masonry (brick & block), timber frame, SIPs, light steel frame, changes over review period.
- Use of renewables in self/custom build - heat pumps, biomass, solar PV and solar thermal.
- Regional Analysis - levels of activity and opportunities for self build projects in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- England - breakdown by Government office region - South West, East Midlands, East of England, North West, Yorkshire & the North East, West Midlands, South East, Greater London.
- Review of major suppliers of timber frame and SIPs systems - company overview, key products, sectors and financial information.
- Review of distribution structure illustrating direct supply and key channels including major companies operating in each channel and supply routes for fire resistant glass, ceilings and partitions.
The self build market is part of the larger overall UK housebuilding sector which is defined as the number of dwelling built in the United Kingdom and includes all private sector, local authority and housing association properties. Self build (including custom build) is housing built by individuals or groups of individuals for their own use. Market value is also affected by materials and labour costs which can fluctuate significantly depending upon the area of the country and also the local skills base.
Confidence remains a key factor which can affect the value of self builds but also the types of construction and finishing materials used. Whilst some potential self builders may choose to defer projects until economic times are more certain, the self-funded self builder is more than likely to continue with plans for their project regardless of the current economic uncertainty.
A key factor driving up self build growth rates since 2013 has been the UK-wide growth in house prices. This has allowed mature self builders, mostly in their mid-50s to mid-60s, to self-fund their projects using either savings, equity release, revenues from property sales or using existing properties as collateral against remortgages or other types of loan.
Self build and custom build has been encouraged through the Localism Act in 2011, whereby local authorities both assess demand for self build and provide land for development. However, the availability of suitable or desirable and affordable plots continues to be one of the biggest constraints to the growth in the uptake of self build in the UK, particularly in London and the Home Counties and is the main reason why many projects fail from the outset.
The future prospects for the self build market at present remain positive but relatively modest. Whilst these forecasts may seem pessimistic in the light of the larger Government targets which have been suggested, our forecasts have been tempered by a number of key drivers including a general lack of consumer confidence due to the uncertain economy, a relatively constrained mortgage market, and ongoing constraints in the planning system.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 8
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 8
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 8
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 92.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. OVERALL HOUSEBUILDING MARKET 18
- 4.1 OVERVIEW OF MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 18
- 4.2 NEWBUILD 19
- 4.3 CONVERSIONS AND PERMITTED RIGHTS 20
- 5. SELF BUILD MARKET IN THE UK 21
- 5.1 DEFINITION 21
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 21
- 5.2.1 Market by Volume 21
- 5.2.2 Value of Self build Market 22
- 5.2.3 Market Prospects 23
- 5.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 23
- 5.3.1 Land Availability and Planning Permissions 23
- 5.3.2 Availability of Project Finance 25
- 5.3.3 Availability of Exemptions and Rebates 26
- 5.3.4 Input from Facilitating Organisations 27
- 5.3.5 Availability of building trades 28
- 5.3.6 Permitted Rights 28
- 6. MARKET MIXES 31
- 6.1 ROUTES TO MARKET 31
- 6.1.1 Self Managed 31
- 6.1.2 Contractor Led 32
- 6.1.3 Client DIY 32
- 6.1.4 Package Contractors 32
- 6.1.5 Developer Built 33
- 6.1.6 Collective Custom Build or Community Based 33
- 6.2 CONSTRUCTION METHODS 34
- 6.2.1 Overview 34
- 6.2.2 Standard Masonry Construction 35
- 6.2.3 Timber frame 37
- 6.2.4 Other Building Systems 40
- 6.3 USE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY SYSTEMS IN SELF BUILD 42
- 6.3.1 Overview 42
- 6.3.2 Heat Pumps 43
- 6.3.3 Biomass 45
- 6.3.4 Solar PV and Solar Thermal 46
- 7. REGIONAL ANALYSIS 47
- 7.1 UK OVERVIEW 47
- 7.2 ENGLAND 50
- 7.2.1 Overview 50
- 7.2.2 South West 52
- 7.2.3 East Midlands 53
- 7.2.4 East of England 55
- 7.2.5 North West 56
- 7.2.6 Yorkshire and the North East 58
- 7.2.7 West Midlands 59
- 7.2.8 South East 60
- 7.2.9 Greater London 62
- 7.3 SCOTLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND 62
- 7.3.1 Scotland 62
- 7.3.2 Wales 64
- 7.3.3 Northern Ireland 66
- 8. SELF BUILD MARKET DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY 67
- 8.1 KEY PRODUCT SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 67
- 8.2 BUILDERS MERCHANTS 69
- 8.3 INTERNET/DIRECT SALES 70
- 8.4 SELF BUILD SPECIALIST SUPPLIERS 71
- 8.5 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS 71
- 8.6 DIY/HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 72
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK SELF BUILD MARKET 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£BN) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: UK HOUSING CONSTRUCTION MARKET BY CONTRACTORS OUTPUT AND VOLUMES (NEWBUILD COMPLETIONS & CONVERSIONS - '000S) 2011/12 - 2016/217 AND FORECASTS TO 2021/22 18
- CHART 7: UK HOUSING NEWBUILD LEGAL COMPLETIONS 2011/12- 2016/17 AND FORECASTS TO 2021/22 19
- CHART 8: ENGLAND & SCOTLAND - NUMBER OF HOUSING CONVERSIONS 2011/12 - 2016/17 AND FORECASTS TO 2021/22 20
- CHART 9: UK SELF BUILD MARKET 2013 TO 2022 - ESTIMATED NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS 21
- TABLE 10: UK SELF BUILD MARKET 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£BN) 22
- TABLE 11: UK SELF BUILD MARKET MAIN SOURCE OF FINANCE 2017-18 - % OF PROJECTS 25
- CHART 12: ENGLAND & SCOTLAND HOUSING CONVERSIONS BY NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS 2011/12 - 2016/17 29
- CHART 13: ENGLAND CONVERSIONS BY TYPE 2016/17 - % BY NUMBER 30
- CHART 14: UK SELF BUILD MARKET PROJECT ROUTES BY TYPE 2017-18 - % BY NUMBER OF BUILDS 31
- CHART 15: UK MARKET FOR SELF BUILD MIX BY MAIN CONSTRUCTION METHOD 2017-18 - % OF PROJECTS. 34
- CHART 16: APPROXIMATE TYPICAL BREAKDOWN OF CONSTRUCTION ELEMENTS ON A NEW BRICK & BLOCK BUILT DETACHED TWO STOREY HOUSE 36
- CHART 17: UK TIMBER FRAME HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS 2012/13 TO 2017/18 BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS ('000) 37
- CHART 18: UK TIMBER FRAME HOUSING END USE MIX (SOCIAL, PRIVATE, SELF BUILD) 2017 - % BY COMPLETIONS VOLUME 38
- CHART 19: APPROXIMATE TYPICAL BREAKDOWN OF CONSTRUCTION ELEMENTS ON A NEW TIMBER FRAME DETACHED TWO STOREY HOUSE 38
- CHART 20: DOMESTIC RHI TOTAL DEPLOYMENT OF RENEWABLE HEAT SYSTEMS (GB) APRIL 2014 TO JULY 2018 - % OF TOTAL NUMBER OF ACCREDITATIONS BY TECHNOLOGY 42
- CHART 21: DOMESTIC RHI DEPLOYMENT OF OFF-GRID RENEWABLE HEAT SYSTEMS (GB) APRIL 2014 TO JULY 2018 - % OF TOTAL NUMBER OF ACCREDITATIONS BY TECHNOLOGY 43
- CHART 22: DOMESTIC RHI ACCREDITATIONS FOR HEAT PUMPS 2014 -H1 2018 - NUMBER OF ACCREDITATIONS 44
- CHART 23: MIX OF AIR SOURCE HEAT PUMPS INSTALLED CAPACITIES (KW) UNDER THE RHI (GB) APRIL 2014 TO JULY 2018 - % OF INSTALLATIONS BY CAPACITY 44
- CHART 24: MIX OF GROUND SOURCE HEAT PUMPS INSTALLED CAPACITIES (KW) UNDER RHI (GB) APRIL 2014 TO JULY 2018 - % OF INSTALLATIONS BY CAPACITY 45
- CHART 25: MIX OF BIOMASS BOILERS INSTALLED CAPACITIES (KW) UNDER THE RHI (GB) APRIL 2014 TO JULY 2017 - % OF INSTALLATIONS BY CAPACITY 46
- CHART 26: SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN UK BY COUNTRY AT JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 - NUMBER OF OPPORTUNITIES 47
- TABLE 27: ESTIMATES OF NUMBER OF SELF BUILD SITES AND AVERAGE POPULATION DENSITIES BY REGION Q3 2018 48
- CHART 28: RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN REGIONAL POPULATION DENSITIES AND NUMBER OF SITES AVAILABLE FOR SELF BUILD 2018 49
- CHART 29: CORRELATION BETWEEN AVERAGE NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE AND AVERAGE PLOT PRICES BY COUNTY Q3 2018 49
- CHART 30: ENGLAND SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL APPROVAL BY REGION JANUARY 2016 -AUGUST 2018 - % BY REGION 51
- CHART 31: NUMBER OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES ACROSS ENGLAND BY REGION JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 52
- CHART 32: SOUTH WEST REGION SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 52
- CHART 33: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTH WEST BY COUNTY JULY TO OCTOBER 2018 53
- CHART 34: EAST MIDLANDS REGION SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 54
- CHART 35: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN EAST MIDLANDS BY COUNTY JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 54
- CHART 36: EAST OF ENGLAND REGION SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 55
- CHART 37: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN EAST OF ENGLAND REGION BY COUNTY JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 56
- CHART 38: NORTH WEST REGION SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 57
- CHART 39: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN NORTH WEST REGION BY COUNTY JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 57
- CHART 40: YORKSHIRE AND NORTH EAST REGIONS SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 58
- CHART 41: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN YORKSHIRE AND NORTH EAST REGIONS JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 - % BY COUNTY 59
- CHART 42: WEST MIDLANDS SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 59
- CHART 43: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN THE WEST MIDLANDS REGION BY COUNTY JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 - % BY COUNTY 60
- CHART 44: SOUTH EAST REGION SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 61
- CHART 45: NUMBER OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTH EAST BY COUNTY JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 61
- CHART 46: GREATER LONDON REGION SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY COUNTY 62
- CHART 47: SCOTLAND SELF BUILD SCHEMES WITH DETAIL APPROVAL BY JOINT BOARD AREAS JANUARY 2016 - AUGUST 2018 63
- CHART 48: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN SCOTLAND JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 - % BY JOINT BOARD AREA 64
- CHART 49: SELF BUILD SCHEMES IN WALES ACHIEVING DETAIL PLANNING APPROVAL JANUARY 2016 TO AUGUST 2018 - % BY PRESERVED COUNTY AREAS 65
- CHART 50: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN WALES JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 - % BY PRESERVED COUNTY 65
- CHART 51: NUMBERS OF SELF BUILD OPPORTUNITIES IN NORTHERN IRELAND JULY AND OCTOBER 2018 - % BY COUNTY 66
- CHART 52: KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS IN THE SELF BUILD MARKET 67
- CHART 53: SELF BUILD MARKET KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR MATERIALS 2017-18 % SHARE BY CHANNEL 68
- CHART 54: LEADING MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2016-17 70
- CHART 55: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2014-15 - % BY VALUE 72
- CHART 56: DIY/HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2017-18 73
The 'Self Build Housing Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.