Shower Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 06/11/2017 / Number of Pages: 85 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 16th edition of the 'Shower Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' represents an informed, up-to-date and detailed review of the market, analysing current trends by product sector and includes estimates on total shower equipment sales, comment on market prospects and implications for manufacturers and the industry as a whole. Written by marketing professionals with experience of the plumbing products industry, this report provides both manufacturers and suppliers with a detailed and comprehensive review of this fast-changing market.
Key report areas include:
- Shower Controls - mixer, electric, digital, power, bath/shower mixer, shower column/poles etc.
- Enclosures, Trays and Screens - traditional, walk-in, wetroom panels, bath/shower screens, low-level trays etc.
- Accessories - shower-related, enclosure-related, shower extras including shower seats, grab rails etc.
- Analysis of market performance for 2017 and forecasts for 2018 to 2021.
Key areas of insight include:
- Product development has focused on quality and design with a trend towards higher value products and contemporary styles. There are greater levels of replacement purchases leading to product upgrade and added value opportunities.
- Demand for digital showers has shown good growth as the use of 'smart' technology in UK homes becomes more prevalent. Plumbing installers are also more familiar with digital showers and the installation benefits they can offer.
- The increasing use of the internet and growth of e-retailing. Consumers are now active participants in the shower decision process and online price comparison is quick and easy, affording the consumer greater scope and choice. Manufacturers have adjusted their distribution policies to adapt to this change.
- Demand for inclusive showering solutions is growing as the UK population ages and the number of multi-generational families increase. How the changing demographic profile will impact on future product developments and market demand.
Some of the companies included:
Aqualisa Group (inc Aqualisa, Gainsborough), Aqualux Products, Aqata, Bristan Group (inc Bristan, Damixa), Coram Showers, Euramax, Grohe, Hansgrohe, Ideal Standard UK, Intatec, Jacuzzi Spa and Bath, Just Trays, Kohler Mira (inc Mira Showers, Rada), Kudos Shower Products, Lakes Bathrooms, Matki, Merlyn Showering, Methven, MX Group, Norcros Group (inc Triton Showers), Pegler, Redring Xpelair (inc Redring, Creda, Galaxy), Roman, Twyford, Ultra Finishing.
Market Overview & Product Trends
- Overall market size by value, rates of change, key trends and factors of influence, estimates of market size in 2017, forecasts through to 2021.
- Household penetration of showers - total number of UK homes with at least one shower, percentage with over-bath or separate shower facility; homes with 2+ bathrooms etc.
- Demographic trends - ageing population, growth of multi-generational families etc.
- Mix by type of installation - new build, replacement, additional/new showering facilities.
- New build trends and influences - housebuilding starts and completions, installations in new build homes, trends and market prospects, government policies and regulatory influences.
- RMI trends and influences - replacement sector trends and influences, retro-fit products, environmental influences etc.; additional/new installations - trends and influences.
- Commercial trends - level of new work and RMI output for single-point showers in non-residential construction sectors - hotels & guesthouses, care homes & nursing homes, health & fitness clubs/gyms.
- Other influences - including care in the community, increase in the Disabled Facilities Grant programme provision, 'Lifetime Homes' standard, simplified housing standards, growth of properties for private rent.
- Overall product mix - shower controls; enclosures, screens and trays; shower accessories by value and share.
- Shower controls - product mix by sector; electric, mixer, digital, power, bath/shower mixer, shower pumps, shower columns/poles. Key design trends, developments, influences etc.
- Enclosures, screens and trays - developments in enclosures, wetroom panels, shower cabins, bath / shower screens and trays. Product mix, sales trends and growth sectors.
- Shower accessories - shower-related accessories, enclosure-related accessories, extras including shower seats and grab rails etc. Design trends and future influences.
Supply & Distribution
- Market shares of leading shower product manufacturers - by product sector.
- Review and analysis of leading suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key product areas etc.
- Summary of other specialist suppliers - by product sector.
- Distribution structure - direct sales, merchants/distributors, other chains of supply.
- Analysis of key channels and suppliers including: Merchants/distributors - key players, brands supplied etc. Other channels - bathroom specialists, home improvement multiples, other retailers etc. Growth of specialist online retailers.
- Forecast of market development - short and medium-term prospects up to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding, non-domestic construction, consumer confidence & spending, lifestyle and design trends etc.
In 2017 the shower equipment market has seen more subdued growth compared to previous years as uncertainty surrounding the Brexit process has impacted on business and consumer process. Between 2010 and 2012, the UK shower market was comparatively volatile, in line with the uncertain economic situation at this time. However, from 2013 to 2016 the market for showering products saw signs of stabilisation with consistent levels of growth as demand picking up with the UK economy recovering.
The majority of UK household now have at least one shower installation in their property. The level of penetration has climbed significantly since the late 1990's to reach around 90% in 2016, this is equivalent to 23.9 million UK homes. Demand for shower products has been positively influenced by the increasing consumer preference towards using a shower instead of a bath. Furthermore, around two thirds of shower installations are installed over a bath. Additionally, a significant number of households with an over-bath facility also have a secondary separate shower facility such as an ensuite or wetroom area.
In terms of product mix, shower controls account for the greatest proportion of the shower equipment market with the largest share by value in 2016. Enclosures, screens and trays account for somewhat less than the shower controls sector with a moderately smaller share. With the maturing shower market and high level of shower usage, replacement products such as shower accessories have grown in market share.
Shower products for the domestic and commercial sectors are distributed through a wide range of channels. The main distribution channel continues to be builders' and plumbers' merchants with the home improvement multiples also holding a substantial share. Other retail channels include bathroom specialists, grocery multiples, mail order retailers and department stores. Online retailers are becoming significantly more important as consumers increasingly use the internet to source the best deals. Manufacturers are also selling spare parts and accessories direct to the consumer online, via transactional websites.
Going forward, the UK shower equipment market is expected to continue to grow at steady, but moderate, levels similar to 2017. A strong driver for growth is the fact that new housebuilding volumes are set to continue increasing despite the uncertainty currently surrounding the UK's exit from the EU. Prospects remain positive in this sector and will support demand for showers installed in new build homes.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. UK MARKET FOR SHOWER EQUIPMENT 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE BY VALUE 2012 - 2021 19
- 4.2.1 Market Size 2012-2017 19
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 2017-2021 20
- 4.3 MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT SECTOR 21
- 5. SHOWER CONTROLS 22
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 22
- 5.1.1 Definition 22
- 5.1.2 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 23
- 5.1.3 Market Prospects 24
- 5.1.4 Overseas Trade 25
- 5.2 MARKET TRENDS 25
- 5.2.1 Household Penetration 25
- 5.2.2 Demographic Influences 26
- 5.2.3 Type of Installation 28
- 5.2.4 RMI Trends 29
- 5.2.5 New Build Trends 31
- 5.2.6 Commercial Trends 33
- 5.2.7 Installation and Specification 34
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 35
- 5.3.1 Overall Product Mix 35
- 5.3.2 Electric Showers 36
- 5.3.3 Mixer Showers 38
- 5.3.4 Digital Showers 39
- 5.3.5 Integrated Power Showers 41
- 5.3.6 Shower Pumps 41
- 5.3.7 Shower Panels 42
- 5.3.8 Bath/Shower Mixers 42
- 5.4 KEY SUPPLIERS OF SHOWER CONTROLS 43
- 5.4.1 Market Shares 43
- 5.4.2 Key Company Profiles 44
- 5.4.3 Other Suppliers 47
- 5.5 DISTRIBUTION 49
- 5.5.1 Channel Structure and Trends 49
- 5.5.2 Channel Shares 51
- 5.5.3 Key Companies 52
- 6. ENCLOSURES, SCREENS & TRAYS 56
- 6.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 56
- 6.1.1 Market Definition 56
- 6.1.2 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 56
- 6.1.3 Market Prospects 57
- 6.1.4 Overseas Trade 57
- 6.2 MARKET TRENDS 58
- 6.2.1 Household Penetration 58
- 6.2.2 RMI Trends 59
- 6.2.3 New Build Trends 59
- 6.2.4 Installation and Specification Trends 60
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 60
- 6.3.1 Product Mix 60
- 6.3.2 Enclosures 61
- 6.3.3 Screens 67
- 6.3.4 Trays 68
- 6.4 KEY SUPPLIERS OF ENCLOSURES, SCREENS AND TRAYS 70
- 6.4.1 Market Shares 70
- 6.4.2 Key Company Profiles 71
- 6.4.3 Other Suppliers 74
- 6.5 DISTRIBUTION 76
- 6.5.1 Channel Shares 76
- 7. SHOWER ACCESSORIES 77
- 7.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 77
- 7.1.1 Definition 77
- 7.1.2 Market Size by Value 2012-2021 77
- 7.1.3 Market Prospects 78
- 7.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 79
- 7.2.1 Product Mix 79
- 7.2.2 Shower-Related Products 80
- 7.2.3 Enclosure-Related Products 81
- 7.2.4 Shower Extras 82
- 7.3 KEY SUPPLIERS OF SHOWER ACCESSORIES 83
- 7.3.1 Market Shares 83
- 7.3.2 Company Profiles 84
- 7.3.3 Shower Suppliers 84
- 7.4 DISTRIBUTION 85
Table & Charts
- CHART 1: UK SHOWER EQUIPMENT MARKET BY VALUE AND FORECASTS (£M MSP) 2012-2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK SHOWER EQUIPMENT MARKET - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 19
- CHART 7: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT SECTOR (SHOWER CONTROLS, ENCLOSURES, ACCESSORIES) BY VALUE 2016 21
- TABLE 8: UK SHOWER CONTROLS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012 -2021 23
- CHART 9: UK SHOWERS CONTROLS MARKET % HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION 1998 -2016 26
- CHART 10: BATHROOM ADAPTATIONS MOST COMMONLY REQUIRED BY HOUSEHOLDS 2016 27
- CHART 11: UK MULTI-GENERATIONAL HOUSEHOLDS 2005-2016 BY VOLUME (000S) 28
- CHART 12: UK SHOWER MARKET - % MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION 2016 29
- CHART 13: GROWTH OF THE PRS SECTOR 2014-2025 (NO. DWELLINGS 000S) 31
- TABLE 14: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 32
- CHART 15: UK SHOWER CONTROLS % PRODUCT MIX BY VOLUME (MIXER, ELECTRIC, DIGITAL, POWER ETC.) 2016 35
- CHART 16: DIGITAL MIXERS % PRODUCT MIX (HIGH PRESSURE, PUMPED) 2016 39
- TABLE 17: SHOWER CONTROLS SUPPLIERS - % MARKET SHARES BY VOLUME 2016 43
- CHART 18: UK MARKET INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SHOWER CONTROLS 50
- CHART 19: UK SHOWER CONTROLS % DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2016 51
- TABLE 20: UK ENCLOSURES, SCREENS AND TRAYS MARKET - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 56
- CHART 21: SEPARATE SHOWER INSTALLATIONS % HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION 2005 & 2016 58
- CHART 22: UK ENCLOSURES, SCREENS & TRAYS MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2016 61
- CHART 23: UK ENCLOSURES MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2016 62
- TABLE 24: ENCLOSURES, SCREENS & TRAYS SUPPLIERS - % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 71
- TABLE 25: UK ENCLOSURES, SCREENS & TRAYS % DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2016 76
- TABLE 26: UK SHOWER ACCESSORIES MARKET - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 78
- CHART 27: UK ENCLOSURES, SCREENS & TRAYS MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2016 79
- TABLE 28: SHOWER ACCESSORIES SUPPLIERS - % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 83
- TABLE 29: UK SHOWER ACCESSORIES % DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2016 85
The 'Shower Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .