Space Heating Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 15/12/2016 / Number of Pages: 74 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 4th edition of the 'Space Heating Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' addresses the space heating market for both the residential and non-residential sectors covering aspects such as market size, forecasts, key trends and influencing factors, products and product mix, key suppliers and distribution channels. The report reviews developments within the industry, with emphasis on both qualitative and quantitative market assessment - essential requirements to good marketing planning.
Key areas covered:
- Domestic Space Heating - fuel effect fires, installed electric heating, portables, radiant fires and stoves.
- Non-Domestic Space Heating - commercial and industrial boilers, commercial radiators, heat emitters, warm air heaters, radiant heaters, commercial heating controls.
- Market sizes and forecasts - through to 2020.
- Product mix by sector.
- Supply and distribution review - leading manufacturers, key distribution channels by sector.
- Key trends and market influences - legislative changes, product trends, housing and economic factors.
Specific areas of insight include:
- Considerable replacement opportunities exist in commercial buildings; there are still large numbers of inefficient space heating products and systems in use.
- With around 11 million UK homes with both a chimney and gas supply, the replacement market for gas fires and stoves remains significant.
- Shift in demand for more aspirational domestic space heating products with innovative features and functionality, supporting value growth and retailer margins.
- Impact of volatile fuel prices with consumers and businesses looking for alternative methods of space heating.
- Widespread roll out of smart metering in homes and businesses, with the increased focus on energy efficient space heating products.
- Increasing use of Internet of Things (IoT) smart heating controls in commercial buildings, used to manage energy efficiency and support preventative maintenance measures.
- Emergence of smart installed electric heating systems in domestic homes.
- Growing importance of renewables, with many new commercial projects specifying systems that use energy from renewable sources.
- Detailed market data and insight on the space heating market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
ACR Heat Products, AJ Wells and Sons, Ambi-Rad Group, Arada, Babcock Wanson UK, Baxi/BDR Thermea, Be Modern, Benson, BFM Europe, Biddle Air Systems, Bosch Commercial and Industrial Heating, Burley Appliances, Charlton & Jenrick, Cochran, Combat Hvac, Consort Equipment Products, Crosslee, Danfoss, Delonghi, Dimplex, Dunham Bush, Electrorad, Euroheat Distributors (HBS), Faber, Focal Point Fires, GDC Group, Hamworthy Heating, Heat Electric, Honeywell Control Systems, Horstmann Controls, Hyco Manufacturing, Ideal Stelrad Group, Johnson Controls, Johnson & Starley, Myson Radiators, Nortek Global Hevac, Pegler Yorkshire, Potterton Commercial, Powrmatic, Prem-i-air Appliances, Quinn Radiators, Remeha, Rettig Group, Robinson Willey, Schneider Electric, Siemens Plc, Stiebel Eltron, Stovax Group, Sunvic Controls, TFC Group, Thermoscreens, Timeguard, Valor, Vent-Axia, Zehnder.
Key areas covered in the report include:
SPACE HEATING - DOMESTIC SECTOR
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts - legislative changes, impact of UFH, insulation measures etc. Ownership levels, source of fuel. Forecasts through to 2020.
- Product mix of fuel effect fires, installed electric heating, solid fuel, radiant fires, portables etc.
- Installed electric heating - smart electric heating storage heaters, electric radiators, towel warmers, fixed panel heaters, tubular heaters.
- Market size 2011-2020 - trends, imports & exports, future prospects, designs, features etc.
- Fuel effect fires - gas-fired and electric. Market size, share etc. Product innovation, designs etc.
- Portables - fan heaters, convector heaters, portable panel heaters, LPG heaters, oil filled radiators etc.
- Solid fuel stoves - market size, growth in sales, product trends, and impact of self-build etc.
- Radiant fires - gas-fired and electric. Market size, trends etc.
- Major manufacturers - Market share in 2015, factors influencing market position, characteristics, turnover etc.
- Review of distribution by product group - key channels in 2015 and developments.
- Future prospects in all product sectors.
SPACE HEATING NON-DOMESTIC SECTOR
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts. Legislative changes - ErP, MCPD etc. Government initiatives - ECA, CRC, ESOS, RHI etc. Impact of IoT. Forecasts through to 2019.
- Commercial boilers > 44kW - market size, future prospects etc. Product trends, features, shift to condensing, off-site constructed plant etc.
- Commercial radiators - market size, forecasts, product trends etc.
- Heat emitters - air curtains, fan convectors, fan coil units, perimeter/trench heaters, unit heaters, radiant panel heaters etc. Overall market size, trends and future prospects.
- Warm air heaters - indirect-fired warm air heaters, direct gas-fired warm air systems, portable electric warm air heaters etc. Overall market size, trends and future prospects.
- Radiant heaters - gas or oil-fired tube heaters, gas plaque and electric radiant heaters etc. Overall market size, trends, forecasts etc.
- Non-domestic heating controls - market size, trends including smart controls and future prospects etc.
- Leading manufacturers - market shares in 2015, characteristics, turnover etc.
- Review of distribution by product group - key channels, shares for 2015 and developments.
HOUSING AND ECONOMIC FACTORS
- Influence of economic and demographic factors such as inflation rates, GDP, UK economy, population profile, household consumption, Sterling, unemployment levels etc.
- Influence of a number of key factors including the housing sector, both new build and RMI, public and private, house moving and house building, also non-domestic construction trends, by sector and for both new build and RMI. Influence of self-build trends, also underfloor heating, conservatories, park homes, leisure homes etc.
The total market for space heating products is substantial, and with climate change and growing concerns regarding energy efficiency and the environment, space heating products will increasingly be designed to deliver improved thermal performance and achieve lower running costs. In 2011 and 2012, the weak UK economy and construction sector impacted negatively on both domestic and non-domestic space heating opportunities. However, in 2013 the market saw signs of stabilisation, with the recovery in the UK economy stimulating new build activity, in addition to improving consumer and business confidence levels.
In the domestic space heating sector, there has been a shift in demand for more aspirational products, which has supported value growth and retailer margins. However, winter temperatures have remained relatively mild in the last 2-3 years, which has impacted on demand to some extent. The non-domestic space heating sector saw steady improvement in the period 2014-15, with the private sector experiencing higher levels of business investment, particularly in the industrial, offices, retail and leisure sectors. Other positive influences on the space heating market include the growing concerns about energy efficiency and the environment. The UK Government has introduced a significant amount of environmental legislation in recent years, placing a greater emphasis on carbon emissions and fuel efficiency.
Although the market situation in 2016 is more subdued, the current forecast for the UK space heating market remains moderately positive. Key drivers include new housing and replacement purchases, although the outlook for the non-domestic market is very much dependent on the path taken to exit the EU and the type of trade and legislative deals formulated.
List of Report Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC, HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION INFLUENCES 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 15
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 16
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 17
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONSTRUCTION AND HOUSING 19
- 3.8.1 Non-domestic Construction 19
- 3.8.2 House Building Completions 20
- 3.8.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 21
- 3.8.4 House Moving Levels 22
- 3.8.5 Self Build 23
- 3.8.6 Conservatories / Glazed Extensions 24
- 3.8.7 Park Homes and Leisure Homes 24
- 3.9 CONCLUSIONS 25
- 4. SPACE HEATING - DOMESTIC 26
- 4.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 26
- 4.1.1 Definition 26
- 4.1.2 Market Size by Value 2011 - 2020 26
- 4.1.3 Household Penetration 28
- 4.1.4 Source of Fuel (Electricity, Gas, Solid Fuel) 29
- 4.2 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 30
- 4.2.1 Domestic Central Heating Market 30
- 4.2.2 Underfloor Heating Market 31
- 4.2.3 Insulation Measures (Cavity Wall, Loft, Double Glazing) 32
- 4.2.4 Environmental Legislation (Housing Standards, ECO, ErP, Smart Meters) 33
- 4.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 34
- 4.3.1 Product Mix 34
- 4.3.2 Installed Electric Heating (Smart, Storage, Panel, Radiators, Towel Warmers) 35
- 4.3.3 Fuel Effect Fires (Gas-Fired, Electric) 37
- 4.3.4 Portable Space Heating (E.g. Fan Heaters, Portable Panel, Convectors etc.) 41
- 4.3.5 Radiant Fires (Gas-Fired, Electric) 43
- 4.3.6 Solid Fuel Stoves and Fires (Wood Burners, Multi-Fuel) 44
- 4.4 SUPPLIERS 44
- 4.4.1 Market Shares 44
- 4.4.2 Key Company Profiles 45
- 4.4.3 Other Suppliers 46
- 4.5 DISTRIBUTION 48
- 5. SPACE HEATING - NON-DOMESTIC 50
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 50
- 5.1.1 Definition 50
- 5.1.2 Market Size by Value 2011 - 2020 50
- 5.2 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 52
- 5.2.1 Energy Efficiency Schemes (ECA, CRC, ESOS, RHI) 52
- 5.2.2 Environmental Legislation (ErP, MCPD) 54
- 5.2.3 The Internet of Things 54
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 56
- 5.3.1 Product Mix (Commercial Heating Systems, Heating Controls) 56
- 5.3.2 Commercial Heating Systems (Boilers, Radiators, Heat Emitters) 56
- 5.3.3 Stand-alone Heaters (Warm Air Heaters, Radiant Heaters) 61
- 5.3.4 Heating Controls 63
- 5.4 SUPPLIERS AND MARKET SHARES 65
- 5.4.1 Commercial Heating Systems (Boilers, Radiators, Heat Emitters) 65
- 5.4.2 Stand-alone Heaters (Warm Air Heaters, Radiant Heaters) 70
- 5.4.3 Heating Controls 72
- 5.5 DISTRIBUTION (COMMERCIAL HEATING SYSTEMS, STAND-ALONE HEATERS) 73
Tables & Charts
- UK SPACE HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 14
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 17
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- CHART 6 GB NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 19
- CHART 7 GB NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2015 AND H1 2016 - % BY VALUE 20
- TABLE 8 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 21
- CHART 9 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2020 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 22
- TABLE 10 RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK (000S) 2011-2020 23
- TABLE 11 UK CONSERVATORY/GLAZED EXTENSION MARKET BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013-2017 24
- TABLE 12 UK DOMESTIC SPACE HEATING MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 26
- CHART 13 NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDS WITH SPACE HEATING AS MAIN HEATING SYSTEM IN ENGLAND 2004 - 2016 29
- CHART 14 MARKET MIX BY SOURCE OF FUEL (ELECTRICITY, GAS, SOLID FUEL) BY VALUE 2016 30
- CHART 15 PERCENTAGE OF UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH CENTRAL HEATING 1996 - 2016 31
- TABLE 16 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2013-2017 31
- CHART 17 PERCENTAGE OF UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH INSULATION MEASURES - 1996, 2006 AND 2015 33
- CHART 18 MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (FUEL EFFECT FIRES, STOVES, INSTALLED ELECTRIC HEATING, RADIANT FIRES, PORTABLES) BY VALUE 2016 35
- CHART 19 FUEL EFFECT FIRES MARKET MIX (GAS, ELECTRIC) BY VOLUME 2001 AND 2016 38
- TABLE 20 FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF ELECTRIC FUEL EFFECT FIRES 39
- TABLE 21 FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF GAS FUEL-EFFECT FIRES 40
- CHART 22 PORTABLES MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (FAN HEATERS, PORTABLE PANEL, CONVECTOR, LPG, OTHER) BY VOLUME 2016 42
- TABLE 23 DOMESTIC SPACE HEATING SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 45
- CHART 24 MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (RETAIL SECTOR, TRADE DISTRIBUTION, OTHER) BY VALUE 2016 49
- TABLE 25 UK NON-DOMESTIC SPACE HEATING MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 50
- CHART 26 MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE 2016 56
- TABLE 27 UK COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL BOILER MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 57
- TABLE 28 UK COMMERCIAL RADIATOR MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 59
- TABLE 29 UK COMMERCIAL HEAT EMITTER MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 60
- TABLE 30 UK STAND-ALONE HEATER MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 62
- TABLE 31 UK COMMERCIAL HEATING CONTROLS MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 64
- TABLE 32 COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL BOILER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 65
- TABLE 33 COMMERCIAL RADIATOR SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 68
- TABLE 34 HEAT EMITTER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 69
- TABLE 35 WARM AIR HEATER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 70
- TABLE 36 RADIANT HEATER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 71
- CHART 37 MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (DIRECT, DISTRIBUTOR) BY VALUE 2016 73
- TABLE 38 MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY APPLICATION TYPE (INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL, PUBLIC) BY VALUE 2016 74
The 'Space Heating Market Report - UK 2016-2025 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.