Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 11/11/2016 / Number of Pages: 63 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 2nd edition of the 'Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates original research and provides a comprehensive review of the street furniture market, with information collated from a wide range of trade and other sources. Data and comment is specific and relevant to the markets involved. Street furniture is difficult to define and quantify, but the report reviews a wide range of products typically used in an urban landscape, with a focus on the local authority sector.
Key sections covered:
- Street furniture - including Benches and Seats, Bollards and Barriers, Bins, Posts and Rails, Planters and Cycle Stands.
- Street lighting - including Lamps, Luminaires, Poles/Posts etc.
- Market overview - Market size, Forecasts, Current Trends, Customer Base etc. for each main sector.
- Supply & distribution - Key Suppliers and Distribution Channels for each main sector.
Key areas of insight include:
- Key customer base - local authorities/highway maintenance contractors etc. - budget pressures.
- Review of street furniture market - fragmented range of products - market sizes in 2015/16 and future prospects up to 2020.
- Street lighting market - mix between products, maintenance and energy consumption. Review of lighting types.
- Review of fragmented supply structure - key players, market structure, share estimates of leading players etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the street furniture and lighting market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Abacus Lighting, Acuity Brands International, Inc, Aluminium Lighting Company, ASD Lighting, ASF, Autopa, Bailey, BEI Lighting, Broxap, Candela Light, Charles Endirect, CU Phosco Lighting, Darfen Durafencing, DW Windsor, Falco, Furnitubes, Gemma Lighting, Glasdon Group, Hartecast, Harvard Technology, Hill & Smith, Honeywell, INDO, Imtech Traffic & Infra / Dynniq, Leafield Environmental, LEDVANCE, Lucy Zodion, Marshalls plc, Mclean Electrical, Mallatite, Orchard Street Furniture, OrangeTeK, Park Street Furnishing, Philips Lighting, Pudsey Diamond Engineering, Schneider Electric, Sapa Poles, Sweepwise, Tay Valley Lighting - part of SSE Contracting, Thorn Lighting, Townscape Products, TRT Lighting, Urbis Schreder, Venture Lighting, Valmont Stainton, Woodhouse.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Overall market performance - market size and forecasts 2014-2020 - current trends and future prospects. Key underlying trends e.g. planning, LA budgets, standards, maintenance/safety, heritage etc.
- Review of customer base - local authorities, highways maintenance - split by DLO/term maintenance agreements by type of authorities (County Councils, Unitary Authorities, London Boroughs, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland etc.) - types of contracts.
- Urban regeneration - review of major prospects, opportunities for furniture/lighting suppliers.
Street Furniture Market
- Sales mix by product type - benches/seats, bollards/barriers, bins, planters, posts/rails, cycle stands etc. Review of each product, market size 2014-2020, key trends, changing product mix, strengths and weaknesses, key suppliers etc.
- Sales mix by materials - benches, bollards etc - steel, timber, plastics, concrete etc - trends in usage etc.
- Review of product types - benches/seats, bollards/barriers, bins, planters, posts/rails, cycle stands etc.
- Market prospects to 2020 - key influences, budget pressures, direct control/long term maintenance contracts etc.
Street Lighting Market
- Street lighting market size - market value and forecasts 2014-18, recent trends.
- Share of market by product type - street lights, illuminated signs/bollards. Types of systems used (LED, low/high pressure sodium, metal halide etc).
- Lighting costs breakdown - mix between energy costs, maintenance, replacement, inspection, client management etc.
- Market prospects to 2020 - key influences, budget pressures, impact of Brexit.
Distribution and Supply
- Major channels of distribution for street furniture - share mix between direct supply, specialist distributors, internet, builders merchants.
- Major channels of distribution for street lighting - share mix between direct supply, specialists etc.
- Suppliers of street furniture - review of key suppliers by product sector, share estimates, fragmented supply chain etc.
- Suppliers of street lighting - key players split by luminaires, control systems, lighting columns, contractors, distributors etc.
- Profiles of key suppliers - product ranges, market position etc.
The market for street furniture and lighting is currently growing at a rate of around 3-5% per annum. This report focuses on street furniture specified and used in the local authorities sector. Street furniture can include a wide range of products, but our definition focuses on the following items which are commonly specified and purchased by local authorities: benches & seats, bins, bollards & barriers, planters, posts and rails, cycle stands, street name plates. There are around 8 million streetlights in the UK, and over 1 million of these are estimated to be more than 40 years old. To keep pace with natural deterioration, a significant number need to be replaced each year. A large share of columns are concrete which tends to deteriorate over time, but a wide range of other materials are also used.
Street lighting in the UK is provided by county, district and unitary local authorities - rural lighting by county councils, and urban street lighting by district and unitary authorities. Street furniture products will be purchased by local authorities direct and maintenance contractors with contracts to maintain highways, shopping centres, footpaths and leisure facilities. Many authorities have separate organisations who maintain town centres and street furniture will be supplied as part of new town centre developments and regeneration of existing town centres. Street lighting technology has developed over the years and the major change in recent years is the development on LED technologies which offer a significant reduction in energy costs, and in addition, LED lighting and offers the benefits of significantly reduced operating costs, because luminaires will operate successfully for many years without major maintenance support requirements.
There are estimated to be around 500-600 companies supplying street furniture, though many are small specialist companies supplying a limited range of products to a limited number of councils. A large share of product is imported from abroad and sterling exchange rates will affect competitiveness - both for importers and companies exporting to overseas markets. While the supply of street furniture is fragmented, the supply structure for the streetlighting market is much more concentrated and specialised.
Our forecasts indicate some growth over the 2016-2020 period, though rates of growth will be modest at best. On a positive note, demand for improving the urban environment is strong, with safety a key driver influencing decision-making, while the growth of cycling is driving demand for certain types of street furniture. However, pressure on Local Authority budgets is increasing. The Central Government grant to Local Authorities for 2016-17 has been reduced by around £765 million to local authorities in England. Over the next few years, urban landscaping will be regarded as a lower priority for spending compared to social services and therefore likely to be under continual pressure for funding, and monies from the EU will not be forthcoming when the UK exits the EU.
- List of Contents
- 1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2 SUMMARY 8
- 3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4 MARKET STRUCTURE 18
- 4.1 BACKGROUND 18
- 4.2 STRUCTURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN THE UK 18
- 4.3 MOTORWAYS AND TRUNK ROADS - ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN IRELAND 20
- 4.3.1 Highways Agency England 20
- 4.4 TYPES OF CONTRACTS 21
- 4.4.1 Overview 21
- 4.4.2 Framework Agreements 22
- 4.4.3 Annual tenders 22
- 4.4.4 Term maintenance contracts 22
- 4.4.5 Buying consortia 22
- 4.4.6 PFI contracts 23
- 5 STREET FURNITURE 25
- 5.1 DEFINITION 25
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE 25
- 5.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 28
- 5.3.1 Standards 28
- 5.3.2. Planning 28
- 5.3.3 Budgets 29
- 5.3.4 Safety 29
- 5.3.5 Maintenance and Environment 30
- 5.3.6 Heritage. 30
- 6 PRODUCTS 31
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 31
- 6.1.1 Benches & Seats 31
- 6.1.2 Bins for Waste, Grit etc. 33
- 6.1 3 Bollards & Barriers 33
- 6.1 4 Cycle Stands 35
- 6.1.5 Planters 36
- 6.1 6 Post & Rail and fencing 37
- 6.1.7 Safety 38
- 6.1.8 Street Name Plates 39
- 7 SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 41
- 7.1 SUPPLIERS OF STREET FURNITURE 41
- 7.2 STREET FURNITURE DISTRIBUTION 46
- 8 STREET LIGHTING 49
- 8.1 BACKGROUND 49
- 8.2 PRODUCTS 52
- 8.2.1 Background 52
- 8.3 TYPES OF LIGHTING 52
- 8.4 TRENDS IN STREET LIGHTING 55
- 8.5 STREET LIGHTING COLUMNS 56
- 8.6 CONTROL OF STREET LIGHTING 57
- 8.7 LEGISLATION 57
- 8.8 CONTRACTORS 57
- 8.9 KEY SUPPLIERS 58
- 8.10 STREET LIGHTING DISTRIBUTION 63
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 LOCAL AUTHORITY STREET FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST 2014-2020 (BY VALUE) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6 ANALYSIS OF LOCAL AUTHORITIES WITH HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE RESPONSIBILITY 2013 - SPLIT BY TYPE OF AUTHORITY, DLO'S AND LONG TERM CONTRACTS 21
- CHART 7 TOTAL STREET FURNITURE MARKET - ALL APPLICATIONS - 2014-2020 BY VALUE 26
- CHART 8 LOCAL AUTHORITY STREET FURNITURE MARKET FORECAST 2014-2020 (BY VALUE) 27
- TABLE 9 LOCAL AUTHORITY STREET FURNITURE MARKET 2016 - MARKET SIZE BY PRODUCT MIX (BENCHES/SEATS, BOLLARDS/BARRIERS, CYCLE STANDS, BINS, PLANTERS, POSTS/RAILS ETC.) 31
- CHART 10 BENCHES AND SEATS MARKET - 2014-2020 32
- TABLE 11 BENCHES AND SEATS - SHARE BY MATERIAL MIX/TYPICAL COSTS 2016 PRICES 32
- CHART 12 BINS MARKET - 2014-2020 33
- CHART 13 BOLLARDS & BARRIERS MARKET - 2014-2020 34
- TABLE 14 MARKET MIX BY TYPES OF BOLLARDS AND AVERAGE COSTS 2016 34
- CHART 15 CYCLE STANDS MARKET - 2014-2020 35
- TABLE 16 CYCLE STANDS MARKET - KEY PRODUCT TYPES, TYPICAL MATERIAL AND INSTALLATION COSTS - COST PER BIKE 2016 36
- CHART 17 PLANTERS MARKET - 2014-2020 37
- CHART 18 POSTS AND RAILS MARKET- 2014-2020 38
- TABLE 19 ANALYSIS OF SINGLE VEHICLE FATAL ROAD ACCIDENTS 39
- CHART 20 STREET NAME PLATE MARKET SUPPLIED TO LOCAL AUTHORITIES - 2014-2020 BY VALUE 40
- TABLE 21 KEY SUPPLIERS OF STREET FURNITURE - MARKET SHARES 2016 41
- TABLE 22 KEY SUPPLIERS OF STREET FURNITURE - 2016 - BY PRODUCT GROUP (BENCHES/SEATS, BINS, CYCLE STANDS, BOLLARDS/BARRIERS, PLANTERS, POSTS/RAILS) 42
- TABLE 23 UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR STREET FURNITURE PRODUCTS 2016 - % BY VALUE 47
- CHART 24 STREET LIGHTING MARKET SIZE - 2016 50
- TABLE 25 STREET LIGHTING MARKET 2014-2020 - SPLIT BY NEW PROJECTS/REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT, MAINTENANCE, ENERGY CONSUMPTION 51
- CHART 26 PRODUCT MIX OF PUBLIC SECTOR STREET LIGHTING 2016 - % BY VOLUME 53
- TABLE 27 TYPES OF LIGHTING SYSTEMS USED IN UK - 2016 - PRODUCT, COLOUR, LAMP LIFE, ENERGY EFFICIENCY 53
- CHART 28 STREET LIGHTING - UNIT COSTS - % BREAKDOWN OF COSTS - ENERGY, MAINTENANCE, PRODUCT REPLACEMENT 2016 55
- CHART 29 STREET LIGHTING COLUMNS - VOLUME BY AGE PROFILE: 56
- TABLE 30 KEY SUPPLIERS OF STREET LIGHTING - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 2015 58
- TABLE 31 KEY STREET LIGHTING SUPPLIERS - BY PRODUCT GROUP - LUMINAIRES, CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIGHTING COLUMNS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS 59
- TABLE 32 UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR STREET LIGHTING PRODUCTS- 2016 - % BY VALUE 63
The 'Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .