Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 02/08/2018 / Number of Pages: 65 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report - UK 2018-2022' incorporates original research and provides a comprehensive review of the street furniture market as well as the street lighting sector, with information collated from a wide range of trade and other sources. Data and comment is specific and relevant to the markets involved.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Street Furniture - benches and seats, bollards and barriers, bins, posts and rails, planters, cycle stands, etc.
- Street Lighting - lamps, luminaires, poles/posts etc.
- Street Lighting & Furniture market size 2015 to 2018.
- Street Lighting market prospects to 2022 - key influences, budget pressures, impact of Brexit.
- Street Furniture market prospects to 2022 - key influences, budget pressures, direct control/long term maintenance contracts etc.
Areas of particular interest:
- Key customer base - local authorities/highway maintenance contractors etc. - budget pressures.
- Review of street furniture market - fragmented range of products - market sizes in 2015 through to 2017 and future prospects up to 2022.
- Street lighting market - overall performance forecast through to 2022, mix between products, review of lighting types.
- Review of fragmented supply structure - key players, market structure, share estimates of leading players etc.
Some of the companies included
Amberol, Autopa, ATG Access, Bailey Streetscene, Bellsure (Streetsure), Broxap, D W Windsor, ESE World Falco UK, Frontier Pitts, Furnitubes, Woodscape, Glasdon, Hahn Plastics, Hartecaste, Townscape, Heritage Street Furniture, Hill & Smith - Mallatite, Langley Design, Leafield Environmental, Marshalls Street Furniture, Orchard Street Furniture, Safetyflex, Shelterstore, Wybone and more.
- Structure of customer base, local Government in the UK, Highways England and other stakeholders.
- Types of contracts, framework agreements, annual tenders, term maintenance contracts, buying consortia etc.
STREET FURNITURE MARKET
- Sales mix by product type - benches/seats, bollards/barriers, bins, planters, posts/rails, cycle stands etc. Review of each product, market sizes with forecasts 2015-2022, key trends, changing product mix, strengths and weaknesses, key suppliers etc.
- Sales mix by materials - benches, bollards etc - steel, timber, plastics, concrete etc - trends in usage etc.
- Review of product types - e.g. cycle stands etc.
- Market prospects to 2022 - key influences, budget pressures, direct control/long term maintenance contracts etc.
STREET LIGHTING MARKET
- Street lighting market size - market value 2015-18, recent trends.
- Share of market by product type - street lights, illuminated signs/bollards. Types of systems used (growth of LED, low/high pressure sodium, metal halide etc).
- Market prospects to 2022 - key influences, budget pressures, impact of Brexit.
STREET LIGHTING MARKET
- Overview of generator power rating mix.
- Overall generator hire market - mix of generator equipment and ancillary products.
- Breakdown of generator hire end-use sectors.
- Legislation and product development.
- Major equipment suppliers.
DISTRIBUTION / SUPPLIERS FOR EACH MARKET
- Major channels of distribution for street furniture - share mix between direct supply, specialist distributors, internet, builders merchants.
- Major channels of distribution for street lighting - share mix between direct supply, specialists etc.
- Suppliers of street furniture - review of key suppliers by product sector, share estimates, fragmented supply chain etc.
- Suppliers of street lighting - key players split by luminaires, control systems, lighting columns, contractors, distributors etc.
- Profiles of key suppliers - product ranges, market position etc.
Street furniture is a collective term for objects and pieces of equipment installed on streets and roads for various purposes. The total street furniture market includes: benches, traffic barriers, bollards, post boxes, phone boxes, streetlamps, traffic lights, traffic signs, bus stops, tram stops, taxi stands, public lavatories, fountains, watering troughs, memorials, public sculptures, and waste receptacles.
Street furniture is used on roads and pavements, motorways, urban roads, and parks and leisure facilities. Manufacturers and suppliers of street furniture supply a number of other markets, but this report focuses on the local authority sector, and excludes other sectors such as Education, Healthcare, Rail & Transport, Residential Developments, Retail & Commercial, Restaurants & Bars, Sports & Leisure, Ministry of Defence, etc.
There are companies who manufacture in the UK and market their own products, and others who mainly manufacture for others and do not have a high profile with end users. However, a substantial volume of products is imported into the UK. Imported products tend to be the simpler products, with many originating from China. Many companies specialised in only one or two products, while some supply the whole range. Others will specialise purely in one type of material such as stainless steel or timber, and sometimes street furniture is only a very small part of the business.
Our forecasts indicate some growth over the 2018-2022 period, though rates of growth will be modest due to increasing pressures on Local Authority budgets. With grants from Central Government to Local Authorities falling, over the next few years urban landscaping will be regarded as a lower priority for spending compared to social services and therefore likely to be under continual pressure for funding. Therefore, local authorities will be looking for ways to save money and maintenance budgets for street furniture may be limited because of high demand from other areas of highway maintenance expenditure, such as filling pot holes and converting street lighting to LEDs.
List of Contents
- 1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY 8
- 2.1 STREET FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 8
- 2.2 STREET LIGHTING MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. MARKET STRUCTURE 18
- 4.1 BACKGROUND 18
- 4.2 STRUCTURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN THE UK 18
- 4.3 MOTORWAYS AND TRUNK ROADS: ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND WALES 20
- 4.3.1 Highways England 20
- 4.4 TYPES OF CONTRACTS 21
- 4.4.1 Overview 21
- 4.4.2 Framework Agreements 21
- 4.4.3 Annual Tenders 22
- 4.4.4 Term Maintenance Contracts 22
- 4.4.5 Buying Consortia 22
- 4.4.6 PFI contracts 22
- 5. STREET FURNITURE 25
- 5.1 DEFINITION 25
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE 25
- 5.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 28
- 5.3.1 Standards 28
- 5.3.2 Planning 28
- 5.3.3 Budgets 29
- 5.3.4 Safety 29
- 5.3.5 Maintenance and Environment 30
- 5.3.6 Sustainability 30
- 6 PRODUCTS 32
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 32
- 6.1.1 Benches & Seats 32
- 6.1.2 Bins for Waste, Grit etc. 34
- 6.1.3 Bollards & Barriers 35
- 6.1.4 Cycle Stands 36
- 6.1.5 Planters 37
- 6.1.6 Post & Rail and Fencing 38
- 6.1.7 Signage including Street Name Plates 39
- 7. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 42
- 7.1 SUPPLIERS OF STREET FURNITURE 42
- 7.2 STREET FURNITURE DISTRIBUTION 46
- 8. STREET LIGHTING 48
- 8.1 BACKGROUND 48
- 8.2 KEY MARKET FACTORS 51
- 8.2.1 Funding 51
- 8.2.2 Procurement Frameworks 52
- 8.2.3 Housebuilding Trends 52
- 8.2.4 Costs and Risks 54
- 8.3 PRODUCTS 54
- 8.3.1 Background 54
- 8.3.2 Types of Lighting 55
- 8.3.3 Street Lighting Columns 58
- 8.3.4 Control of Street Lighting 58
- 8.3.5 Illuminated Signs and Bollards 59
- 8.4 SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 60
- 8.4.1 Contractors 60
- 8.4.2 Key Suppliers 61
- 8.4.3 Street Lighting Distribution 64
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: TOTAL LOCAL AUTHORITY STREET FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST 2015-2022 (BY VALUE) 8
- CHART 2: TOTAL STREET LIGHTING MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST 2015-2022 (BY VALUE) 10
- TABLE 3: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 4: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 7: TOTAL STREET FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST - ALL APPLICATIONS - 2015-2022 (BY VALUE) 26
- CHART 8: LOCAL AUTHORITY STREET FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST 2015-2022 (BY VALUE) 27
- TABLE 9: LOCAL AUTHORITY STREET FURNITURE MARKET 2017 - MARKET SIZE BY PRODUCT MIX (BENCHES/SEATS, BOLLARDS/BARRIERS, CYCLE STANDS, BINS, PLANTERS, POSTS/RAILS ETC.) 32
- CHART 10: BENCHES AND SEATS MARKET: 2015-2022 33
- TABLE 11: BENCHES AND SEATS - SHARE BY MATERIAL MIX/TYPICAL COSTS 2018 33
- CHART 12: BINS MARKET: 2015-2022 34
- CHART 13: BOLLARDS & BARRIERS MARKET: 2015-2022 35
- TABLE 14: MARKET MIX BY TYPES OF BOLLARDS AND AVERAGE COSTS 2018 36
- CHART 15: CYCLE STANDS MARKET: 2015-2022 36
- TABLE 16: CYCLE STANDS MARKET - KEY PRODUCT TYPES, TYPICAL MATERIAL COSTS - COST PER BIKE 2018 37
- CHART 17: PLANTERS MARKET: 2015-2022 38
- CHART 18: POSTS AND RAILS MARKET: 2015-2022 39
- CHART 19: SIGNAGE INCLUDING STREET NAME PLATES MARKET: 2015-2022 40
- TABLE 20: KEY SUPPLIERS OF STREET FURNITURE - MARKET SHARES 2017 42
- TABLE 21: UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR STREET FURNITURE PRODUCTS 2017 - % BY VALUE 46
- TABLE 22: TOTAL STREET LIGHTING MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST 2015-2022 (BY VALUE) 48
- TABLE 23: UK PUBLIC SECTOR EXPENDITURE ON STREET LIGHTING (£M) - 2011/2012-2016/2017 49
- TABLE 24: LOCAL AUTHORITIES - CAPITAL EXPENDITURE ON STREET LIGHTING IN ENGLAND (£M), 2013/2014-2015/2016 50
- CHART 25: UK STREET LIGHTING MARKET BY VALUE 2017 50
- TABLE 26: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME 52
- CHART 27: PRODUCT MIX OF PUBLIC SECTOR STREET LIGHTING - % BY VOLUME 55
- TABLE 28: TYPES OF LIGHTING SYSTEMS USED IN UK - PRODUCT, COLOUR, LAMP LIFE, ENERGY EFFICIENCY 56
- TABLE 29: KEY SUPPLIERS OF STREET LIGHTING - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 2017 61
- TABLE 30: UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR STREET LIGHTING PRODUCTS 2017: % BY VALUE 64
The 'Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .