Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 06/08/2015 / Number of Pages: 101 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 3rd edition of the report 'Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This report provides an informed and up to date review of this complex and gragmented market, and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts of sector developments up to 2019. The report covers hand and power portable tools used in the building, DIY and construction industries, as well as domestic garden tools, but excludes sectors such as automotive and industrial tools.
Key areas covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure and recent developments in the market.
- Forecasts for market developments to 2019.
- Key distribution channels - including DIY multiples, industrial product distributors, tool specialists, builders merchants and 'others' including electrical wholesalers, garden centres and online/mail order companies.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix and distribution.
- Product groups reviewed: driving, drilling & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools, carpentry & woodworking tools and garden tools.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of tools market - overall market size, performance up to 2014.
- Factors affecting the market - analysis of key market characteristics.
- Identification of key channels - DIY Multiples, Industrial Products Distributors, Tool Specialists, Builders Merchants, 'others' - review of channel shares, fragmentation, trends etc.
- Review of key players in 'tool distribution' market - strength of Kingfisher, Travis Perkins group operations.
- Key product groups - power, hand, garden tools - market size, trends in power and hand tools.
- Market performance in 2014/15 and forecasts through to 2019.
Some of the companies included:
Argos, Asda, Axminster Power Tool Centre, B&Q, Birchwood Tools, Blue Diamond UK, Brammer UK, Buck and Hickman, City Electrical Factors, Cromwell Tools, CTS Ironmongery, Cut Price Wholesaler, D&M Tools, Dobbies Garden Centres, Draper Tools, Edmundson Electrical, Eriks Industrial Services, Freeman Grattan Holdings, Frosts Garden Centre, Goodwins Direct, Grafton Group, Harrison & Clough, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier Garden Centres, Homebase, ITS, J D Williams & Company, Klondyke Garden Centres, Lidl, Longacres Garden Centre, Machine Mart, Mica, Monks and Crane Industrial Group, My Tools Shed, Northern Power Tools, Northern Tool and Equipment Co. (UK), Notcutts, Rexel Group, Robert Dyas, RS Components, Sainsbury's, Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution, Screwfix Direct, Shop Direct, SIG Fixings, SIG, Specialist Group, Tesco, The Garden Centre Group, The Power Tool Centre, The Site Box, THS Tools, Tilgear, Tool Shop Direct, Toolbank, Tool-Net, Tools4trade, Toolstation, Toolstop, Toolstream, Travis Perkins, Troy (UK), UK Tool Centre, Wickes, Wilkinson Hardware Store, Wolseley.
- Tool market definition - hand and power portable tools used in the building, DIY/garden and construction industries, but excludes sectors such as automotive and industrial tools.
- Tool distribution market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2009-2014, with forecasts to 2019.
- Market structure - suppliers, distributors, buying groups, contractors and end-users. Market complexity and fragmentation.
- Market recovery and growth as UK economy and construction levels improve.
- Market trends and factors influencing market development - legislation, construction trends, housebuilding & RMI forecasts up to 2017, changing consumer buying habits etc.
Key Players in Tool Distribution
- Market shares of key distribution channels - Key channels, shares, product mix, recent trends & changes in distribution. Overview of key groups (Kingfisher, Travis Perkins, Home Retail etc.) operating in several channels.
- DIY Multiples - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players - B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc.
- Industrial/Consumable Products Distributors - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players profiles etc - Screwfix, Machine Mart, Cromwell, Brammer, Eriks, etc.
- Tool Specialists - overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players - Toolstation, Toolbank, Axminster Power Tool Centre etc.
- Builders & Plumbers Merchants - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players' profiles.
- Internet/Catalogue/Mail Order - key players, growing impact, buying patterns etc.
- Other channels - including garden centres, independent hardware/ DIY stores, electrical wholesalers, specialist distributors.
- Overview of supply structure - evolving market being influenced by consumer shopping behavior. Product groups reviewed: driving, drilling & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools, carpentry & woodworking tools, and garden tools - product sector value mix and recent trends.
- Market shares of professional & DIY tools, power & hand tools and cordless & corded power tools. Overview of trends, changes and future prospects, market maturity.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2009-2014 for each product sector and trends in power and hand tools.
- Leading manufacturers - building and gardening tools. Overview of key players.
- Forecast of market development - short term prospects in 2015 and medium term prospects up to 2019.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding & non-domestic construction (including private and public sector performance), consumer confidence & spending, product development.
The tool distribution market is mature and has, in general, experienced moderate growth rates, though the economic and construction downturn negatively impacted on the market resulting in a significant decline during 2008-09. The market improved in 2013 due to a return to growth in general construction, housebuilding and RMI work, and in 2014 it is estimated that the tool distribution market grew by 8% as a result of the improving economy which led to higher levels of construction and RMI activity.
Power tools account for an estimated 50-55% share of the market and hand tools for around 45-50% share. Hand tools is a mature, steady sector with little significant step change in product development. In contrast, power tools has significantly benefited from new products and product innovation (such as lithium-ion battery and brushless motor power tools) that help to drive sales. Performance in the garden tools sector is heavily influenced by the weather in any given year.
Tool distribution comprises a mix of large national players competing with many regional and local companies, in both trade and consumer channels. Several major groups hold significant shares in the tools market including Kingfisher (Screwfix and B&Q) and Travis Perkins (Wickes, Toolstation and Birchwood Price Tools), which account for around a quarter of the tools market. The product range carried by distributors is large and varies substantially depending on the commitment to tools in their respective portfolios and the structure of their primary customer base.
Prospects for the overall market are positive as both domestic and non-domestic construction levels are forecast to increase, improving consumer confidence is likely to see larger DIY projects undertaken. There will be a continued expansion of cordless product ranges and brushless motors products, and other product developments that will stimulate market growth include tools that are more ergonomically designed for employee welfare as well as increasing lifetime and efficiency. However, market growth may be restricted by the fact that hand tools are limited by their inherently simple design that allows for only modest improvements and pricing increases, and their durability which restricts replacement sales. Developments in power tools are also increasing product life and, thereby lengthening replacement frequencies. It is estimated that the tools distribution market will continue to grow at a more sustainable rate of 3-4% until 2019.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 14
- 3.1 GDP 14
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 15
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 16
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 17
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 17
- 3.6 STERLING 19
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 19
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 20
- 4. TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 21
- 4.1 DEFINITION 21
- 4.2 TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 22
- 4.2.1 Background 22
- 4.2.2 Recent performance - 2009 to 2014 23
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects - 2015 - 2019 26
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 30
- 4.3.1 Construction Output and RMI Work 30
- 4.3.2 The Housing Market 33
- 4.3.3 Employment in Construction 37
- 5. DISTRIBUTION 39
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 39
- 5.1.1 Distribution Market Shares 42
- 5.2 DIY MULTIPLES 45
- 5.2.1 Market Size 45
- 5.2.2 Products 47
- 5.2.3 Market Structure 48
- 5.2.4 DIY Multiples 49
- 5.3 INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS 51
- 5.3.1 Market Size 51
- 5.3.2 Products 53
- 5.3.3 Market Structure 54
- 5.3.4 Industrial Products Distributor Companies 54
- 5.4 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS MERCHANTS 57
- 5.4.1 Market Size 58
- 5.4.2 Products 58
- 5.4.3 Market Structure 60
- 5.4.4 Merchant Companies 60
- 5.5 TOOL SPECIALISTS 62
- 5.6 OTHER CHANNELS 64
- 5.6.1 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue 64
- 5.6.2 Garden Centres 68
- 5.6.3 Independent Hardware & DIY Stores 71
- 5.6.4 Electrical Wholesalers 72
- 5.6.5 Grocery Multiples 73
- 5.6.6 Tool & Plant Hire and Servicing 73
- 5.6.7 Direct Supply and Other Distributors 74
- 5.7 BUYING GROUPS, DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS 74
- 5.7.1 Buying Groups 74
- 5.7.2 Distributors and Wholesalers 74
- 5.7.3 SIG plc 76
- 6. PRODUCT REVIEW 77
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 77
- 6.1.1 Product Mix 77
- 6.1.2 Mix of Professional and DIY Tools 78
- 6.1.3 Mix of Power and Hand Tools 79
- 6.1.4 Cordless Power Tools 82
- 6.2 DRILLING, DRIVING AND BREAKING 84
- 6.2.1 Definition 84
- 6.2.2 Market Size 84
- 6.2.3 Product Mix 85
- 6.3 CUTTING AND GRINDING 87
- 6.3.1 Definition 87
- 6.3.2 Market Size 88
- 6.3.3 Product Mix 89
- 6.4 CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING 90
- 6.4.1 Definition 90
- 6.4.2 Market Size 91
- 6.4.3 Product Mix 92
- 6.5 OTHER BUILDING TOOLS 93
- 6.6 GARDENING TOOLS 93
- 6.6.1 Definition 93
- 6.6.2 Market Size 94
- 6.6.3 Product Mix 96
- 7. KEY MANUFACTURERS 97
- 7.1 BUILDING TOOLS 97
- 7.2 GARDENING TOOLS 100
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 UK TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M DSP) 11
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 16
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 18
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 19
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 21
- CHART 6 UK TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2009-2019 BY VALUE (£M AT DSP) 24
- CHART 7 GROWTH FORECASTS OF KEY CONSTRUCTION SECTORS, 2014-2019 29
- TABLE 8 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 33
- CHART 9 VALUE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI SECTORS) 2013 - 2019 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 35
- CHART 10 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2009 - 2019 - UNITED KINGDOM ('000) 36
- TABLE 11 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2009-2015 ('000S) 37
- CHART 12 HOUSING RMI OUTPUT FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 (£M) 38
- CHART 13 UK TIMBER FRAME COMPLETIONS ('000 DWELLINGS) 2004 - 2014 BY VOLUME 39
- TABLE 14 EMPLOYMENT IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY 1984 - 2014 40
- CHART 15 TOOL DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - KEY CHANNELS/ROUTES TO MARKET 43
- TABLE 16 DISTRIBUTION OF TOOLS BY CHANNEL - DIY MULTIPLES, INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS, INTERNET/CATALOGUE, TOOL SPECIALISTS, BUILDERS MERCHANTS, OTHERS - % SHARE 2014 44
- TABLE 17 UK DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (RSP) 48
- CHART 18 DIY MULTIPLES SALES BY PRODUCT SECTOR - % SHARE 2014 49
- TABLE 19 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING DIY MULTIPLES 50
- TABLE 20 DIY MULTIPLES - MARKET SHARES 2014 51
- TABLE 21 UK INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008 - 2018 - BY VALUE (£M AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES) 54
- TABLE 22 PRODUCT MIX OF THE UK INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTION MARKET - 2014 55
- TABLE 23 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY LEADING INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS (SCREWFIX, BRAMMER, CROMWELL TOOLS ETC) 56
- TABLE 24 SCREWFIX'S PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR (POWER TOOLS, HAND TOOLS, GARDENING, ABRASIVES ETC) - 2014 57
- TABLE 25 UK BUILDERS & PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 60
- CHART 26 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2014 61
- TABLE 27 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY LEADING DISTRIBUTORS 61
- TABLE 28 MERCHANTS MARKET SHARE 2014 62
- CHART 29 GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2009 - 2014 66
- CHART 30 UK GARDEN CENTRE MARKET - 2009-2014 (£M RSP) 70
- CHART 31 GARDEN CENTRES PRODUCT MIX, 2014 - BY VALUE 71
- CHART 32 PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2014 - DRIVING/DRILLING/BREAKING; CUTTING/GRINDING; CARPENTRY/WOODWORKING; GARDEN; OTHERS ETC 79
- CHART 33 MIX OF PROFESSIONAL AND DIY TOOLS BY VALUE 2014 80
- CHART 34 MIX BY HAND AND POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2014 82
- CHART 35 MIX OF CORDLESS AND CORDED PORTABLE POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2014 84
- CHART 36 UK MARKET FOR DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING TOOLS 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 86
- CHART 37 UK MARKET FOR CUTTING & GRINDING TOOLS 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 90
- CHART 38 UK MARKET FOR CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING TOOLS 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 93
- CHART 39 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN TOOLS 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 96
- CHART 40 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN TOOLS MARKET, 2014 (% BY VALUE) 98
The 'Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.