Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 15/06/2017 / Number of Pages: 91 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The fourth edition of the 'Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides an informed and up-to-date review of this complex and fragmented market, and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts of sector developments up to 2021.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Detailed market assessment - hand and power portable tools used in the building, DIY and construction industries, as well as domestic garden tools.
- Recent market performance and forecasts through to 2021.
- Key distribution channels - review of channel shares, fragmentation, trends etc.
- Analysis by product group - market size, key trends and recent changes, product mix and distribution.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Analysis of the hand and power tools market, market size and development 2012 to 2017 and forecasts to 2021. Key market influences driving current and future performance of the market.
- Identification of key distribution channels - Home Improvement Multiples, Industrial Products Distributors, Tool Specialists, Builders Merchants, 'others' - review of channel shares, trends etc.
- Distribution channel development - shift to Omni channel, growth of Screwfix / Toolstation, increasing influence of the Internet; development of other channels, e.g. builders merchants, home improvement multiples, electrical wholesalers, etc.
- Review of key players in 'tool distribution' market - operations and activity in the market. The strength of Kingfisher, Travis Perkins group operations etc.
- Review of key product groups - driving, drilling & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools, carpentry & woodworking tools, and garden tools - product sector sizes, review of major sectors, trends in power and hand tools, distribution channel shares by product group etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the tool distribution market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the Companies included:
Abingdon King Dick, Amazon, Andrea Stihl, Apex Tool Group (Lufkin, Crescent & Wiss), Arco, Arrow Fasteners (Masco Corp), Atlas Copco, Bahco, B&M Retail, B & Q, Belle Engineering (Sheen), Brammer plc, Buck and Hickman, Bulldog Tools, Carl Kammerling International Ltd, Clarke International, Cromwell Tools, Draper Tools, Earlex (part of Wagner Group), Einhell, Erbauer, Eriks Industrial Services, Estwing, Wera, Evolution, Faithfull (Toolbank), Fein Industrial Power Tools (UK), Festool, Fiskars, Forge Steel, Global Garden Products, Grafton Group, Hilka Tools, Hilti (Great Britain) Ltd, Hitachi Power Tools (UK), Homebase, Hultafors. Husqvarna, ITW Construction Products, Jack Sealey Ltd, JCB, Joseph Bentley, Kingfisher plc, Kobe Tools, Lie-Nielsen, Machine Mart Limited, Mafell, Makita (UK) Ltd, Marshalltown, Metabo (UK), Olympia Tools (Roughneck), Ozito, Stanley Black & Decker, Ragni, Robert Bosch Ltd, Robert Sorby, Rollins Group (Bulldog), RS Components, Techtronic Industries Co Ltd, Panasonic Electric Works UK, Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution, Scheppach, Screwfix, SIG plc, Spear & Jackson, Stabila, Stahlwille, Stanley Black & Decker, Stihl Group, Tacwise, Techtronic Industries Co Ltd (TTI Group), The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, The Toro Company, Thor Hammer, Titan, Toolstation, Toolbank, Travis Perkins, Wickes, Wilkinson Sword Ltd, Wilkos. Wolseley, Worz, Yeoman.
The Tool Distribution Market
- Tool distribution market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2012-2016, with forecasts to 2021.
- Market structure - analysis of suppliers, distributors, buying groups, contractors and end-users.
- Market trends and factors influencing market development - legislation, construction trends, housebuilding & RMI forecasts up to 2021.
- Market shares of key distribution channels - Key channels, shares, product mix, recent trends & changes in distribution, buying trends etc. Overview of key groups (Kingfisher, Travis Perkins etc).
- Home Improvement Multiples - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players - B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc.
- Industrial/Consumable Products Distributors - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players profiles e.g. Screwfix, Machine Mart, Cromwell Tools, Brammer, etc.
- Tool Specialists - overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players, e.g. Toolstation, Toolbank, Axminster Power Tool Centre etc.
- Builders & Plumbers Merchants - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players' profiles.
- Internet/Catalogue/Mail Order - key players, development of this channel.
- Other channels - e.g. garden centres, independent hardware/ DIY stores, electrical wholesalers, etc.
Products and Suppliers
- Product groups reviewed: driving, drilling & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools, carpentry & woodworking tools, and garden tools - product sector value mix and recent trends.
- Market shares of professional & DIY tools, power & hand tools and cordless & corded power tools. Overview of trends, changes and future prospects, market maturity.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2012-2017 for each product sector and trends, influences etc. Key manufacturers and distribution channel mix for each product group.
- Overall sector sizes for each product group, mix between channels.
- Estimated shares in 2016 of the main product groups by the key channels.
- Forecast of market development - short term prospects in 2017 and medium term prospects up to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding & non-domestic construction (including private and public sector performance), consumer confidence & spending, product development.
This report analyses the market for portable power and hand tools, for use in building, home improvement and garden applications - incorporating both professional and DIY tool versions, but excludes industrial and automotive uses, and large/machine tools. Tool distribution comprises a number of routes to market including home improvement multiples, industrial products distributors, builders' merchants, tool specialists and the Internet.
Higher levels of non-domestic construction, housebuilding and RMI work (repair, maintenance & improvement), along with product innovations all supported value growth in 2013 and 2014. These trends continued in 2015 and 2016 when the market saw growth of 3-4% per annum. The improving UK economy, higher levels of construction & RMI activity and increasing consumer confidence & spending assisted market growth.
Tool distribution comprises a mix of large national players competing with many regional and local companies, in both trade and consumer channels. Buying behaviour, influenced by digital technology, has seen a change in the way companies deliver their proposition. Operating a transactional website has become increasingly important, and this has meant an increase in multi-channel and omni-channel retailing, with the Internet emerging as a key channel.
Prospects for the overall market are generally positive, with moderate growth expected in the domestic sector and also across some non-domestic construction sectors. Steady demand in the garden tool sector is also expected to underpin the market. It is estimated that the tools distribution market will continue to grow by around 3% per annum to 2021.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 15
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 16
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 17
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 19
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 21
- 4.1 DEFINITION 21
- 4.2 TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 22
- 4.2.1 Background 22
- 4.2.2 Recent performance - 2012 to 2016 23
- 4.2.3 Market Prospects - 2017 - 2021 26
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 29
- 4.3.1 Construction Output and RMI Work 29
- 4.3.2 The Housing Market 31
- 4.3.3 Employment in Construction 34
- 4.3.4 The Internet 35
- 5. DISTRIBUTION 37
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 37
- 5.1.1 Distribution Market Shares 40
- 5.2 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 42
- 5.2.1 Market Size 42
- 5.2.2 Products 44
- 5.2.3 Market Structure 45
- 5.2.4 Home Improvement Multiples 46
- 5.3 INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS 47
- 5.3.1 Market Size 48
- 5.3.2 Products 49
- 5.3.3 Market Structure 50
- 5.3.4 Industrial Products Distributor Companies 51
- 5.4 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS MERCHANTS 53
- 5.4.1 Market Size 54
- 5.4.2 Products 55
- 5.4.3 Market Structure 56
- 5.4.4 Merchant Companies 56
- 5.5 TOOL SPECIALISTS 58
- 5.6 OTHER CHANNELS 59
- 5.6.1 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue 60
- 5.6.2 Garden Centres 62
- 5.6.3 Independent Hardware & DIY Stores 65
- 5.6.4 Electrical Wholesalers 65
- 5.6.5 Grocery Multiples 66
- 5.6.6 Tool & Plant Hire and Servicing 67
- 5.6.7 Direct Supply and Other Distributors 67
- 5.7 BUYING GROUPS, DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS 67
- 5.7.1 Buying Groups 67
- 5.7.2 Distributors and Wholesalers 68
- 6. PRODUCT REVIEW 70
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 70
- 6.1.1 Product Mix 70
- 6.1.2 Mix of Professional and DIY Tools 71
- 6.1.3 Mix of Power and Hand Tools 72
- 6.1.4 Cordless Power Tools 74
- 6.2 DRILLING, DRIVING AND BREAKING 76
- 6.2.1 Definition 76
- 6.2.2 Market Size 76
- 6.2.3 Product Mix 78
- 6.3 CUTTING AND GRINDING 79
- 6.3.1 Definition 79
- 6.3.2 Market Size 80
- 6.3.3 Product Mix 81
- 6.4 CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING 82
- 6.4.1 Definition 82
- 6.4.2 Market Size 82
- 6.4.3 Product Mix 83
- 6.5 OTHER BUILDING TOOLS 84
- 6.6 GARDENING TOOLS 85
- 6.6.1 Definition 85
- 6.6.2 Market Size 85
- 6.6.3 Product Mix 87
- 7. KEY MANUFACTURERS 88
- 7.1 BUILDING TOOLS 88
- 7.2 GARDENING TOOLS 90
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£M AT DSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 14
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 15
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 17
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6: UK TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M DSP) 22
- CHART 7: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 26
- CHART 8: GROWTH FORECASTS OF DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC SECTORS BY NEW WORK AND RMI OUTPUT, 2016-2021 27
- CHART 9: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2012 -2021 30
- CHART 10: CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2016 31
- CHART 11: HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS (UK) BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS 2012 - 2021 ('000 DWELLINGS) 32
- TABLE 12: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2012-2021 33
- CHART 13: UK TIMBER FRAME HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS ('000) 2007 TO 2015 34
- TABLE 14: EMPLOYMENT IN THE UK CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY, 2008 TO 2016 35
- CHART 15: TOOL DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - KEY CHANNELS/ROUTES TO MARKET 38
- CHART 16: DISTRIBUTION OF TOOLS BY CHANNEL - HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES, INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS, TOOL SPECIALISTS, ETC % SHARE 2016 40
- TABLE 17: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET 2012 - 2021 - BY VALUE (RSP) 43
- CHART 18: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES OVERALL SALES MIX 2016 44
- TABLE 19: POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING MULTIPLES 45
- TABLE 20: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES - MARKET SHARES 2015 45
- TABLE 21: INDUSTRIAL CONSUMABLE PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2012 - 2021 (£M) AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES (DSP) 48
- TABLE 22: PRODUCT MIX OF THE UK INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET VALUE AND SHARE 2016 AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES (DSP) 49
- TABLE 23: POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING DISTRIBUTORS 50
- TABLE 24: SCREWFIX'S PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2016 51
- TABLE 25: UK BUILDING & PLUMBING MERCHANTS' MARKET 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 54
- CHART 26: BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET - % PRODUCT MIX 2016 (TIMBER, HEATING/VENT, PLUMBING/DRAIN, ROOFING, DECORATING ETC) 55
- TABLE 27: POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING MERCHANTS 56
- TABLE 28: BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARE 2015 56
- CHART 29: UK GARDEN CENTRE MARKET - 2011-2016 (£M RSP) 62
- CHART 30: GARDEN CENTRES PRODUCT MIX, 2016 - BY VALUE 63
- CHART 31: PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2016 - DRIVING/DRILLING/BREAKING; CUTTING/GRINDING; CARPENTRY/WOODWORKING; GARDEN; OTHERS ETC 70
- CHART 32: MIX OF PROFESSIONAL AND DIY TOOLS BY VALUE 2016 71
- CHART 33: MIX BY HAND AND POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2016 72
- CHART 34: MIX OF CORDLESS AND CORDED PORTABLE POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2016 75
- CHART 35: UK MARKET FOR DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING TOOLS 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 77
- CHART 36: UK MARKET FOR CUTTING AND GRINDING TOOLS 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 80
- CHART 37: UK MARKET FOR CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING TOOLS 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 83
- CHART 38: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN TOOLS 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES) 85
- CHART 39: PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN TOOLS MARKET, 2016 (% BY VALUE) 87
The 'Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .