Transport Infrastructure Construction and Refurbishment Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 04/09/2015 / Number of Pages: 111 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 5th edition of the report 'Transport Infrastructure Construction and Refurbishment Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This report analyses the transport construction sector specifically and provides an assessment of construction output in transport, with forecasts through to 2019, with insight and comment on key developments and areas of potential growth and opportunity. The wider infrastructure sector is forecast to be one of the strongest drivers of new work construction output growth over the next 4-5 years.
Key areas covered:
- Review of the major sector within the transport market - including roads & highways, rail, airports and ports with key investment levels and construction activity.
- Detailed assessment of transport construction output - together with forecasts for growth to 2019.
- In-depth analysis of Government funding/investment in transport - including DfT, Highways England, Network Rail, TfL budgets.
- Contractor review - insight into contractor capability and experience in the roads, rail, airports and ports sectors.
Key areas of insight include:
- Government spending plans and transport projects in the pipeline and outlook for transport infrastructure to 2019 - budgets, timescales, analyses.
- Detailed analysis of the first 5-year Roads Investment Strategy (RIS), in which £15bn will be invested in 100 road schemes to 2020-21.
- Review of the Government's Transport Strategy for the North, announced in the 2015 Budget, which sets out options for future transport investment in the north of England.
- Review of the future of the main long-term framework contracts and control period programmes for the DfT, TfL, Highways England and Network Rail.
- In-depth analysis of the major challenges faced by the aviation sector including the issue of future capacity constraints at airports in the South East and key capital investment programmes taking place at UK major and regional airports.
- Review of investment/activity under Network Rail's Control Period 5 (2014-2019), including Thameslink, Crossrail, East-West Rail, Great Western, North-West and North trans-Pennine electrification and Northern Hub.
Some of the companies included:
Amalgamated Construction, Amey, Balfour Beatty, BAM Nuttall, Barhale, Buckingham Group, Carillion, Colas, Construction Marine, Costain, Dragados, Dyer & Butler, Eric Wright, Ferrovial, Fitzgerald, Galliford Try, Geoffrey Osborne, George Leslie, Henry Boot, Invensys, J Breheny, J. Murphy, John Graham, Kier, Lagan Construction, Laing O'Rourke, LendLease, McLaughlin & Harvey, Miller, Morgan Sindall, Mott MacDonald, MWH, North Midland Construction, QTS Group, Raymond Brown Construction, Ringway Group, Sir Robert McAlpine, Sisk, Skanska UK, Story Rail, Tarmac, VINCI, VolkerWessels.
Construction Market for Transport Infrastructure
- Construction output by sector - roads, rail, airports and ports.
- Forecasts for construction activity to 2019 for the transport sector.
- Contractor's output in the Transport Infrastructure Sector (new work and RMI).
- Analysis of project activity in the transport sector and outlook for transport infrastructure work.
- Overall construction market analysis - value of total construction output new work.
Investment in Transport Infrastructure
- Insight into public sector capital spending and expenditure in the transport sector.
- Financial Settlements for Transport: 2013 Spending Round; 2014 Autumn Statement; 2015 Budget.
- Investment in the Transport Sector - Roads, Rail, Ports and Aviation.
- Major schemes and initiatives - e.g. Transport Strategy for the North, RIS, CP5 and key projects in the aviation and ports sector.
- Transport for London (TFL) Investment and local transport investment.
- Private financing of transport projects.
Roads and Highways
- Insight into key national initiatives and projects - budgets, programmes and schemes up to 2019.
- Roads Investment Strategy (RIS) - £15bn invested in 127 schemes across the UK's strategic road.
- Network over the next 5 years.
- RIS - Local Transport schemes by Region.
- RIS - Smart Motorways Programme - 15 Smart Motorway projects.
- Key national initiatives in the rail sector - budgets, programmes and schemes up to 2019.
- Analysis of investment & projects under the Periodic Rail Review (CP5) 2014-2019.
- Major rail enhancements programme - Thameslink, Crossrail, Midland Mainline Electrification, East West Rail Programme, HS2 and HS3.
- London - Key rail projects including analysis of the TfL Transport and Business Plans, London Underground projects and over-ground projects.
Airports and Ports
- Review of the Air Transport Sector in the UK.
- Development activity in the UK Airports sector.
- Analysis of airport capacity in the Southeast of England.
- Key capital investment programmes taking place at other UK airports.
- Key UK Port development activity and expansion plans.
Construction Market Supply in the Transport Sector
- Key Contractors in the Rail Sector (Capability and Experience).
- Key Contractors in the Roads Sector (Capability and Experience).
- Key Contractors in the Ports and Airports Sector (Capability and Experience).
In 2015, new construction output in the transport sector is forecast to see an increase and is expected to reach a value of over £8.3bn. Transport sector construction output fell quite significantly in 2014 following an increase of 6% in 2013, however, the transport sector is characterised by larger projects which take several years to complete, and a fall in output does not indicate a downward trend. Rail accounts for the largest share of construction output at around 44% - output in the rail sector has fallen in recent years, while road expenditure has increased its share of the construction market.
Infrastructure spending is a key element of the government's long-term economic plan and, as such, the transport infrastructure sector is one of the major investment sectors for the construction industry. Over the past decade, the government has delivered over £150bn investment in transport sector as a whole, and over £12.7bn is being invested by the government in 2015-16. The 2013 Spending Round set out a long-term pipeline of infrastructure capital investment worth more than £100bn over the current Parliament and announced upfront 6-year funding provisions for the Highways Agency, TfL, HS2, local highways maintenance and local major schemes.
The UK rail sector has a substantial forward pipeline over the 5 years under Network Rail's CP5 programme, which includes some 5,000 projects such as Thameslink and Crossrail; the electrification of more than 850 miles of track, the Northern Hub Project to improve the rail links between cities in the North; and the refurbishment, upgrading and redevelopment of hundreds of stations. The roads sector has been boosted by the announcements in the sector, including the Government's Roads Investment Strategy (RIS) and Transport Strategy for the North. The first phase of the RIS includes 100 major schemes to enhance, renew and transform the network; smart motorway projects to provide extra capacity on England's roads; new schemes in network problem areas and schemes to improve safety and ease congestion.
Construction supply in the transport sector is highly fragmented with many of the major and smaller contractors involved in infrastructure work. Contractors are heavily involved in road and rail, although fewer contractors work in rail due to Network Rail's tied frameworks.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 8
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. CONSTRUCTION MARKET FOR TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE UK 20
- 4.1 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT IN TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE 20
- 4.2 INVESTMENT IN TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE 21
- 4.2.1 Public Sector Capital Spending 21
- 4.3 FINANCIAL SETTLEMENTS FOR TRANSPORT 25
- 4.3.1 2013 Spending Round 25
- 4.3.2 2014 Autumn Statement 26
- 4.4 CONSTRUCTION MARKET SUPPLY IN THE TRANSPORT SECTOR 27
- 4.4.1 Key Contractors in the Rail Sector 27
- 4.4.2 Key Contractors in the Roads Sector 29
- 4.4.3 Key Contractors in the Airports/Ports Sector 30
- 4.5 OVERALL CONSTRUCTION MARKET OVERVIEW 34
- 4.5.1 Construction New Work - Value of Non-Domestic Output to 2019 34
- 4.6 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT IN THE TOTAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTOR 37
- 4.6.1 Total Infrastructure Output 37
- 4.6.2 Infrastructure Output 2015 - 2019 38
- 4.6.3 Infrastructure RMI 39
- 4.6.4 Project Activity and Outlook for Infrastructure Work 40
- 5. KEY TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE MEASURES AND INVESTMENT 42
- 5.1 2015 BUDGET 42
- 5.2 TRANSPORT STRATEGY FOR THE NORTH (TFN) 43
- 5.3 INVESTMENT IN THE TRANSPORT SECTOR 44
- 5.3.1 Expenditure in the Roads Sector 46
- 5.3.2 Expenditure in the Rail Sector 49
- 5.4 USE OF PFI IN TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS 54
- 5.4.1 Overview 54
- 5.4.2 PFI in the Transport Sector 54
- 6. ROADS AND HIGHWAYS 56
- 6.1 KEY NATIONAL INITIATIVES AND PROJECTS 58
- 6.1.1 Roads Investment Strategy 58
- 6.1.2 RIS - Local Transport Schemes 59
- 6.1.3 Smart Motorways 65
- 7. RAIL 67
- 7.1 KEY NATIONAL INITIATIVES AND PROJECTS 70
- 7.1.1 Control Period 5 - Rail Enhancements Programme 70
- 7.2 MAJOR RAIL ENHANCEMENT PROJECTS (IN PROGRESS) 72
- 7.2.1 Thameslink 72
- 7.2.2 Crossrail 73
- 7.2.3 Crossrail 2 78
- 7.2.4 Midland Mainline Electrification 80
- 7.2.5 East West Rail Programme 80
- 7.2.6 High Speed 2 & 3 (HS2/HS3) 81
- 7.3 LONDON - KEY RAIL PROJECTS 87
- 7.3.1 Overview 87
- 7.3.2 TfL Transport Plan 2010 87
- 7.3.3 TfL Business Plan 2014 87
- 8. PORTS AND AIRPORTS 93
- 8.1 AIR TRANSPORT SECTOR IN THE UK 95
- 8.2 DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITY AT UK AIRPORTS 96
- 8.2.1 Airports in the South East of England 96
- 8.2.2 Airport Development Activity 97
- 8.3 KEY UK PORT EXPANSION AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITY 107
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY TRANSPORT SECTOR (ROADS, RAIL, PORTS & AIRPORTS) £M 2012-2017 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6 NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE (ROADS, RAILWAYS, PORTS & AIRPORTS) £M 2012 - 2019 20
- TABLE 7 SUMMARY OF PUBLIC SECTOR CAPITAL SPENDING BY MAJOR DEPARTMENT - 2014-15 AND 2015-16 (£BN) 22
- TABLE 8 GOVERNMENT NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE PIPELINE 2014-2021 - PUBLIC/PRIVATE INVESTMENT - TRANSPORT 24
- TABLE 9 AUTUMN STATEMENT 2014 - INFRASTRUCTURE CAPITAL SPENDING COMMITMENTS 2015-16 - 2019-21 (£M): 26
- TABLE 10 TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE (ROAD, RAIL, AIRPORTS, PORTS) - TOP CONTRACTORS BY VALUE OF PROJECTS (£M) 2014-15 31
- CHART 11 VALUE OF NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2009 - 2019 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 34
- CHART 12 NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2014 - % BY VALUE 35
- TABLE 13 INFRASTRUCTURE NEW OUTPUT BY SECTOR (ROADS, RAILWAYS, WATER, ELECTRICITY, OTHER) BY VALUE (£M) 2012-2014 37
- CHART 14 INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW ORDERS BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2010-2019 38
- TABLE 15 GOVERNMENT NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE PIPELINE 2014-2021 - PUBLIC/PRIVATE INVESTMENT BY SECTOR 41
- CHART 16 DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT RESOURCE & CAPITAL BUDGET - 2007 - 2015 (£BN) 44
- TABLE 17 DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT BUDGET BY MAJOR PROGRAMME AREA - 2012 - 2016 (£M) 45
- TABLE 18 TRANSPORT - GOVERNMENT'S LONG-TERM SPENDING PLANS - 2015-16 TO 2020-21 (£M) 46
- TABLE 19 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY (RIS) STATEMENT OF FUNDS 2015-16 TO 2020-21 (£M) 47
- TABLE 20 TRANSPORT FOR LONDON (TFL) TOTAL GRANT (RESOURCE AND CAPITAL) 2014-15 TO 2026-27 (£M) 47
- TABLE 21 LOCAL TRANSPORT FUNDING 2015-2021 (£M) 49
- TABLE 22 LOCAL HIGHWAYS MAINTENANCE CHALLENGE FUNDING 2015-2021 (£M) 49
- CHART 23 NETWORK RAIL - CP5 OM&R (OPERATING, MAINTENANCE & RENEWALS) AND ENHANCEMENT - PROPOSED EXPENDITURE 2014-15 TO 2018-19 (£BN) 51
- TABLE 24 NETWORK RAIL - CP5 OM&R ANNUAL EXPENDITURE BY FUNCTION 2014-2019 (£M) 52
- TABLE 25 CURRENT PFI INVESTMENTS (BY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT) 54
- CHART 26 NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - ROADS AND HIGHWAYS (£M) 2012-2019 56
- TABLE 27 GOVERNMENT NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE PIPELINE 2014-2021 - KEY PUBLIC/PRIVATE TRANSPORT PROJECTS - ROADS 57
- TABLE 28 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY - REGIONAL CONCENTRATION OF SCHEMES 59
- TABLE 29 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY -SCHEMES IN YORKSHIRE & NORTH EAST 60
- TABLE 30 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY -SCHEMES IN THE NORTH WEST 61
- TABLE 31 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY -SCHEMES IN THE MIDLANDS 62
- TABLE 32 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY -SCHEMES IN THE EAST OF ENGLAND 63
- TABLE 33 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY -SCHEMES IN LONDON & THE SOUTH EAST 64
- TABLE 34 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY -SCHEMES IN THE SOUTH WEST 65
- TABLE 35 ROADS INVESTMENT STRATEGY - SMART MOTORWAY SCHEMES 66
- CHART 36 NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - RAIL - 2012-2019 (£M) 67
- TABLE 37 GOVERNMENT NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE PIPELINE 2014-2021 - KEY PUBLIC/PRIVATE TRANSPORT PROJECTS - RAIL 68
- TABLE 38 CP5 - PROPOSED RAIL ENHANCEMENT SCHEMES (COMMITTED FUNDING £M) 71
- TABLE 39 THAMESLINK PROGRAMME -TIMETABLE OF KEY ACTIVITIES 2015 - 2018 73
- TABLE 40 CROSSRAIL - INDICATIVE WORKS TIMETABLE OF KEY ACTIVITIES 2015 - 2018 75
- TABLE 41 CROSSRAIL - KEY CONTRACTS AWARDED TO DATE (AS AT MAY 2015) - BY VALUE AND CONSTRUCTION TEAM 76
- TABLE 42 HS2 - TOTAL ALLOCATED FUNDING (£BN) 82
- TABLE 43 HS2 INDICATIVE TIMETABLE 83
- TABLE 44 HS2 - PHASE 1 INFRASTRUCTURE PACKAGES 84
- TABLE 45 TFL TRANSPORT STRATEGY UPDATE 2014 - SCHEME, SUMMARY DETAILS AND COMPLETION DATES - RAIL, LONDON UNDERGROUND AND DLR 91
- CHART 46 NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - PORTS AND AIRPORTS - 2012-2019 (£M) 93
- TABLE 47 GOVERNMENT NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE PIPELINE 2014-2021 - KEY PUBLIC/PRIVATE TRANSPORT PROJECTS AIRPORTS & PORTS 94
- TABLE 48 AIRPORT STATISTICS - FLIGHTS/PASSENGER NUMBERS (2014) BY MAJOR UK AIRPORT 95
- TABLE 49 AIRPORTS COMMISSION - OPTIONS FOR RUNWAYS AT GATWICK AND HEATHROW - INDICATIVE COSTS (£BN) 97
- TABLE 50 MAJOR UK AIRPORT DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITY DATA 98
- TABLE 51 HEATHROW AIRPORT - Q6 INVESTMENT PROGRAMME 2014-19 - CAPITAL INVESTMENT PER YEAR (£M) 102
- TABLE 52 GATWICK AIRPORT - INVESTMENT PROGRAMME 2014-24 - CAPITAL INVESTMENT BY PROJECT (£M) 104
- TABLE 53 MAJOR UK PORTS/HARBOUR EXPANSION PLANS 2015 110
The 'Transport Infrastructure Construction and Refurbishment Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.