Underfloor Heating Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 27/04/2016 / Number of Pages: 83 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 8th edition of the 'Underfloor Heating Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates original input and primary research and represents an up-to-date and perceptive review of one of the fastest growing sectors within the heating industry - the underfloor heating market. The report focuses on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, and will facilitate operational and strategic decision making processes.
Key content covered:
- Underfloor heating market - size, structure, key trends and future prospects.
- Product sector review - market value, product mix, UFH controls etc. for; Water based UFH systems and Electric UFH systems
- End use applications - self build/custom build housing, health & education, new housebuilding, public sector, domestic RMI and conservatories.
- Supply and distribution - main suppliers and key distribution channels.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market size and trend analysis for electric and water-based systems.
- Analysis of new build housing, refurbishment activity and non-domestic applications.
- Influence of the non-domestic sector, in particular the health and education sectors.
- Key supplier analysis and market shares.
- Analysis of distribution structure and channels, key trends and prospects.
- Review of influential standards and regulatory requirements.
Some of the companies included:
AHT Advanced Heating Technologies, Allbrite UK, Ambient Electrical, Begetube UK, Brugg Pipe Systems UK, C&F Technics, Continental Underfloor, Climatech, Danfoss, Domoteck, Ebeco, Elektra, Emmeti UK, Ezewarm UK, Floor Heating Systems, Flexel International, Flowcrete UK, Gaia Climate Solutions, Giacomini UK, GDC Group Limited, Heat Mat, Heatstore, Honeywell, Indeco, Intatec, Invisible Heat, JG Speedfit, Jupiter UK, KLIMA, Levante, LK Systems AB, Maincor, Mathewson Underfloor Heating Solutions, Myson, Nu-Heat UK, Omnie by Timoleon, Pedarson, Philex, Pipelife Ireland Limited (QPL), Polypipe, Raychem, Rayotec, Rehau, Rettig UK, Robbens Systems, Uponor, Thermo-Floor UK, Thermogroup, Timeguard, Vent Axia Group, Vysal, Vogel & Noot, Warmafloor, Warmup, Watts Industries UK, Wavin UK, Worcester Bosch Group.
Key areas of coverage in the report include:
Underfloor Heating Market
- Market size from 2011-2016, industry structure, analysis of key market developments and trends.
- Future prospects, likely future trends, market forecasts through to 2020.
- End use sectors - domestic and non-domestic.
- Key market influences - general trends in floorcoverings market, renewable energy technologies, impact of new building methods, interior design trends.
- Review of influential standards and regulatory requirements.
End Use Applications
- Market mix by application - custom build housing, private housing, social housing, non-domestic applications.
- Analysis of housing market - new build, RMI activity, mix of completions, house moving levels etc.
- Custom build housing sector - market size, trends and influences, future prospects.
- Domestic conservatories - market overview, future prospects.
- Non domestic applications - health and education sectors, other non-domestic - key trends, issues and future prospects.
Underfloor Heating Products
- Value of the key product sectors (electric and water-based systems) - product mix 2009-2014 and forecasts to 2018.
- Review of electric underfloor heating - cable systems, heating mat / heating foil systems.
- Water-based underfloor heating - key components, trends, development of retrofit systems.
- Influence of the development of overlay systems on the RMI sector of the market.
- Review of underfloor heating controls - whole house systems, smart controls, touch screen.
- Identification of key manufacturers for electric and water-based systems.
- Supply structure analysis. Market shares of key suppliers.
- Review and analysis of leading suppliers, including company profile, turnover, recent activity, etc.
- Summary of significant other suppliers.
- Role of contractors and installers - key trends and issues.
- Analysis of key channels - direct supply, merchants/distributors, electrical wholesalers, DIY multiples, tile specialists, online retailers etc.
- Review of key channels - relative strengths of channels in different end use markets, profile analysis of key indirect distributors.
The underfloor heating (UFH) market is broadly classified into two product types; water-based, or hydronic UFH systems and electric UFH systems. Some projects may involve a mix of both types of systems, often known as a hybrid solution. All market estimates relate to materials only and exclude installation work. After recovering well from the recession and the challenging economic conditions, the UK underfloor heating market has continued to grow steadily, with growth of 9% in 2014 and a further 4% in 2015, and now accounts for around 6.5% of the total UK heating market. Environmental concerns and rising energy bills have been partly responsible for driving demand, as well as wider acceptance of these more aspirational products.
The domestic UFH sector, including new build activity by housebuilders, the self-build market and RMI / DIY retrofit projects in residential homes, accounts for the largest share of the market at manufacturers, though the use of UFH also remains strong in the non-domestic sector. Whilst large-scale health and education projects have declined, there are still opportunities in the care home, industrial, warehousing, leisure and entertainment, office and retail sectors. In terms of value, wet underfloor heating accounts for the largest share with electric UFH a relatively small market by value.
The distribution channel continues to be dominated by direct supply, with some manufacturers and other specialists offering a 'supply and fit' service. However, there has been growth in online sales of UFH in the domestic sector, as consumer awareness of the benefits has increased and products are becoming easier to install. UFH systems now form a staple part of the product portfolios of tile manufacturers, floor, kitchen and bathroom specialists, for example. However, as with other heating products, merchants and DIY multiples continue to play a significant role. In addition, many manufacturers continue to supply direct, through approved installers or contractors.
Prospects for continued growth in the UK underfloor heating market remain positive for 2016 and beyond, given optimism and recovery in the housing market, coupled with rising levels of consumer confidence and spending. Whilst the private non-residential sector is also showing signs of recovery, with potential for further business investment, the public sector remains severely constrained given reductions in public sector spending. Underfloor heating products are now widely marketed alongside renewable technologies and there is likely to be continued growth in this sector. Ease of installation continues to be an important issue in the construction sector, given a skills shortage and a need to reduce both build time and cost, and UFH systems can be installed in bathroom/kitchen PODS, as well as precast concrete flooring. By 2020 the market value for the underfloor heating market (UFH) is forecast to have increased by around 15% compared to the market size in 2015.
- List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS 12
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 14
- 3.1 GDP 14
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 15
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 16
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 17
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. UK MARKET FOR UNDERFLOOR HEATING 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 UK HEATING MARKET 20
- 4.3 UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET 22
- 4.3.1 Market Size 22
- 4.3.2 Market Background 23
- 4.3.3 Future Prospects 23
- 4.4 END USE SECTORS 25
- 4.4.1 Domestic UFH 25
- 4.4.2 Non-Domestic UFH 26
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 27
- 4.5.1 Floorcoverings Market 27
- 4.5.2 Renewable Energy Technologies 30
- 4.5.3 Energy Efficiency Grants & Incentives 31
- 4.5.4 New Building Methods 32
- 4.5.5 Interior Design 33
- 4.6 STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS 33
- 5. END USE MARKET APPLICATIONS 36
- 5.1 APPLICATION MIX 36
- 5.2 HOUSING MARKET 37
- 5.2.1 New House Build 38
- 5.2.2 Mix of New House Building Completions 39
- 5.2.3 Refurbishment Activity 40
- 5.2.4 Construction Output in the Housing Sector 40
- 5.2.5 House Moving Levels 41
- 5.3 CUSTOM BUILD 42
- 5.4 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORIES 43
- 5.5 NON-DOMESTIC APPLICATIONS 44
- 5.5.1 Sector Overview 45
- 5.5.2 Health 48
- 5.5.3 Education 49
- 5.5.4 Other Applications 49
- 6. PRODUCTS 52
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 52
- 6.2 BENEFITS AND LIMITATIONS OF UFH 54
- 6.3 TYPES OF FLOOR CONSTRUCTION 56
- 6.4 ELECTRIC UFH 57
- 6.4.1 Cable Systems 58
- 6.4.2 Heating Mat / Heating Foil Systems 59
- 6.5 WATER-BASED UFH 60
- 6.6 UFH CONTROLS 62
- 7. SUPPLIERS 65
- 7.1 SUPPLY OVERVIEW 65
- 7.2 KEY COMPANY PROFILES 66
- 7.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 69
- 7.4 UNDERFLOOR HEATING CONTRACTORS 72
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 76
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE OF UFH 76
- 8.1.1 Domestic 76
- 8.1.2 Non-Domestic 77
- 8.2 KEY COMPANIES 78
- 8.2.1 Merchants 78
- 8.2.2 Distributors 79
- 8.2.3 Electrical Wholesalers 80
- 8.2.4 DIY Multiples 80
- 8.2.5 Online Retailers 81
- 8.2.6 Tile Specialists 82
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 14
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 16
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 17
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6 OVERALL UK HEATING MARKET 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 21
- TABLE 7 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET (£M MSP) 2011-2020 22
- CHART 8 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 (CARPET, WOOD, VINYL ETC) 28
- TABLE 9 UK CERAMIC & PORCELAIN FLOOR TILES MARKET 2012-2017 (£M MSP) 28
- TABLE 10 UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 2012-2017 (£M MSP) 29
- CHART 11 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET % MIX BY APPLICATION 2015 (NON-DOMESTIC, PRIVATE HOUSING, SELF BUILD, SOCIAL) 36
- TABLE 12 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 38
- TABLE 13 GB HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS 2011-2020 ('000 DWELLINGS) 38
- CHART 14 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 2004/5-2019/20 39
- TABLE 15 VALUE OF GB NEW HOUSING OUTPUT AND RMI OUTPUT (£M) 2011-2015 41
- TABLE 16 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020 42
- TABLE 17 UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORIES MARKET 2011-2016 (000S) 44
- TABLE 18 NON DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FIGURES 2011-2020 (NEW WORK & RMI £ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 46
- CHART 19 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY APPLICATION SECTOR 2011-2018 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 47
- TABLE 20 VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN THE HEALTH SECTOR 2012-2020 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 48
- TABLE 21 VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN EDUCATION 2012-2020 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 49
- CHART 22 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 (DOMESTIC WATER / ELECTRIC, NON-DOMESTIC WATER / ELECTRIC) 52
- CHART 23 % MIX OF DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC ELECTRIC AND WATER-BASED SYSTEMS 2015 AND 2020 54
- TABLE 24 UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 65
- CHART 25 UK PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING CONTRACTORS REGISTERED FOR VAT/PAYE BY TURNOVER BAND 2015 74
- TABLE 26 DISTRIBUTION OF UFH PRODUCTS TO END USERS 2015 76
- TABLE 27 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION OF UFH PRODUCTS BY CHANNEL 2015 77
The 'Underfloor Heating Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .