Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 14/11/2016 / Number of Pages: 75 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 13th edition of the 'Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' covers the upholstered furniture market for sofas and armchairs, along with beds and mattresses in the domestic and contract sectors. A detailed assessment of each product sector is included, with an analysis of major developments, trends and market prospects, product mix, materials used and a review of the supply and distribution structure.
Key content covered:
- Overall UK furniture market - market size, key trends and influences including the development of the UK housing market.
- Upholstered furniture market - sofas and armchairs, action furniture, sofa beds.
- Beds and mattresses market - divan sets, bedsteads, mattresses, childrens' beds etc.
- Review of the supply and distribution structure - shares and key trends, major channels of distribution and summary of key suppliers.
- Forecasts - for market developments up to 2020.
Recent trends include:
- Latest views and forecasts, the impact of the EU referendum on consumer confidence and likely effect on the market through to 2020.
- Key trends in the upholstered furniture market - high level of price competition, product trends e.g. sofas and individual armchairs are expected to gain share at the expense of three piece suites, growing popularity of L and U shaped sofas etc.
- Key trends trends in the mattress sector e.g. using high quality materials, which include more attractive ticking and designs, memory foam mattresses, pillow tops and so on. Imports and exports and new entrants into the mattress sector in the 'bed in a box' sector.
- Key trends in the bed sector including import and export levels, the shift towards larger bed sizes, the development of niche sectors and the growth of upholstered bed frames etc.
- The overall UK furniture market, key market drivers including demographic trends, housing trends, imports etc.
Some of the companies included:
Airsprung Beds, Alstons (Upholstery), AMX Design, Ashley Manor Upholstery, Buoyant Upholstery, Celebrity Motion Furniture, DFS Trading, Dunlopillo, Ekornes, Furnico, Gainsborough Beds, G Plan Upholstery, Harrison Spinks Beds, Highgrove Beds, Hypnos, JDP Furniture Group, Kozee Sleep Beds, Layezee Beds, Lebus Upholstery, Parker & Farr Furniture, Parker Knoll Upholstery, Pritex, Relyon, Rest Assured, Sealy UK, Sherborne Upholstery, Silentnight Beds, Silentnight Group, Simmons Bedding Group, Sofa Brands International, Slumberland, Steinhoff UK Beds, Steinhoff UK Holdings, Sweet Dreams (Nelson), Tempur UK, The Hush-a-Bye Collection, The Pocket Spring Company, Vi-Spring, Welbeck House, Westbridge Furniture Designs.
Upholstered Furniture Market
- Recent market performance, current trends and forecasts to 2020. Key underlying trends e.g. price competition, distribution and product trends.
- Sales mix by product type i.e. sofas, armchairs, action furniture and others including sofa beds. Review of each product, key trends, changing product mix, strengths and weaknesses, key suppliers.
- Sales mix by materials, fabric & leather covers and fillings - together with changing trends in material usage and comparisons with previous years, including key suppliers.
- Imports & exports for the main product groups, key trends, growth of imports and effects on UK market etc.
- Market mix according to end use i.e. domestic and contract with key trends in contract sector.
- Suppliers of upholstered furniture and market shares for leading companies. Review of major suppliers, market positioning etc.
Beds & Mattresses Market
- Recent market performance, current trends and forecasts to 2020. Key underlying trends e.g. trading up in certain sectors, the growth of niche sectors, the impact of lower value bedsteads etc.
- Share of market by product type: double beds and single beds by volume and value including key trends.
- Market mix by product type i.e. divan sets, bedsteads, mattresses and other. Review of each product sector including adjustable beds, key trends and growth sectors, changing mix, comparisons with previous years, strengths and weaknesses, key suppliers.
- Product mix by mattress support type including rubber, plastic and spring, and key trends within each sector.
- Imports and exports main product groups, key trends and influences on UK market.
- Sales mix according to end use i.e. domestic and contract, key trends in contract sector.
- Suppliers of beds & mattresses and market shares for leading companies. Review of major suppliers, market positioning etc.
Supply and Distribution
- Summary of shares and key trends within the distribution channels, including furniture multiples and direct channels such as the Internet for both the upholstered furniture and beds sectors.
- Major channels of distribution - multiples, independents, department stores, internet etc. - shares by type of outlets, areas of growth/decline, future trends.
- Summary of key distribution / retailing companies within major distribution channels.
- Summary of key suppliers, product and market positioning, growing companies, changes in supply structure etc.
Review of Market Prospects
- Economic influences on the market in the medium term and the development of key product sectors within the upholstered furniture and beds market from 2016-2020.
The upholstered furniture and beds market has shown good growth in recent years of around 3-4% per annum until 2015, with a further increase of around 3% expected in 2016. The market has increased steadily in the 2012-15 period, as the UK economy has improved and consumer confidence risen. In the upholstered furniture sector, sales of 3 piece suites have declined with combinations of 2 sofas now a popular choice. Demand for divan sets has fallen steadily due to growth in demand for mattresses, either sold separately as a replacement purchase or together with bedsteads, including wooden, upholstered and metal bedsteads. Growth in the mattress sector has been underpinned by increased demand for higher value pocket sprung mattresses, along with the growing popularity of other materials, such as memory foam.
Sales of single sofas and convertibles represent an important part of the upholstered furniture market, while armchairs sold separately account for smaller share. Sales of action furniture have increased at a slow and steady pace, with most of the major manufacturers now including these products in their ranges. The share accounted for by leather has declined marginally over the last 3-5 years, with the wide range of colours and styles supporting the growth of the fabric sector. During the last 5 years there has been a marked trend towards double beds and, in particular, to king sized beds. This growth is largely attributed partly to the high level of price competition within the market, particularly in the bedstead sector.
The supply structure of the upholstered furniture market has not changed dramatically in recent years, though the major suppliers have increased their overall share of the market. The furniture multiples continue to dominate the distribution of upholstered furniture, with multiple specialists such as DFS, ScS and Sofology accounting for a significant share, along with general furniture multiples, such as IKEA, Harveys and Furniture Village, and department stores/variety chains. The beds sector is more concentrated in terms of suppliers compared to the upholstered furniture market, however, in recent months there has been considerable activity in the mattress sector, with newer entrants specialising in offering a compact range of products, often via the internet and available for early delivery.
While forecasts for the UK economy in 2016 have recently been upgraded slightly by the major forecasting institutions, the uncertainty surrounding Brexit and the current high levels of indebtedness for many people is likely to impact consumer confidence. The rate of growth until 2020 is expected to be lower than in the last few years. While the upholstered furniture and beds sectors are relatively mature, a growing demand for housing should stimulate market growth. Mattresses are one specific area of the beds market where opportunities for further value growth exist, with relatively short replacement cycles and consumers trading up to higher quality products. The popularity of modern and contemporary furniture seems to favour alternative furniture combinations, rather than the traditional 3-piece suites. Other trends include flexible and modular furniture options to allow for open plan living areas and awkward spaces. This is also reflected in the range of design options now offered, including corner sofas, u-shaped sofas and chaise sofas etc.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SITUATION ASSESSMENT 7
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 DOMESTIC HOUSING 15
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. OVERALL UK FURNITURE MARKET & HOUSING INFLUENCES 20
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 20
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS 22
- 4.3 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS 23
- 4.3.1 New Housebuilding 23
- 4.3.2 House Moving 27
- 4.3.3 Household Size 27
- 4.3.4 Private Rental Market 28
- 5. THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET 31
- 5.1 DEFINITION 31
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND BACKGROUND 31
- 5.2.1 Market Size 31
- 5.2.2 Current Situation 32
- 5.2.3 Market Prospects 33
- 5.3 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 34
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 35
- 5.4.1 Upholstery Type 35
- 5.4.2 Materials 39
- 5.4.3 Frames 41
- 5.4.4 Fillings 41
- 5.5 END USER MIX 42
- 5.6 SUPPLIERS 43
- 5.6.1 Market Structure 43
- 5.6.2 Market Shares 43
- 5.6.3 Companies 44
- 6. BEDS & MATTRESSES 49
- 6.1 DEFINITION 49
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 49
- 6.2.1 Market Size 49
- 6.2.2 Current Trends 50
- 6.2.3 Market Prospects 50
- 6.2.4 Imports & Exports 52
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 53
- 6.3.1 Bed Size 53
- 6.3.2 Bed Type/Style 54
- 6.3.3 Mattresses 56
- 6.3.4 Others 58
- 6.4 CONTRACT / NON-DOMESTIC MARKET 59
- 6.5 SUPPLIERS 60
- 6.5.1 Supplier Market Shares 60
- 6.5.2 Companies 61
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 66
- 7.1 STRUCTURE 66
- 7.2 DEFINITIONS 66
- 7.3 STORE LAYOUT AND DESIGN 66
- 7.4 CHANNEL SHARES 67
- 7.4.1 Furniture Multiples 68
- 7.4.2 Furniture Independents 71
- 7.4.3 Department Stores 71
- 7.4.4 Variety Stores 72
- 7.4.5 Catalogue Retailers / Mail Order 73
- 7.4.6 The Internet 74
- 7.4.7 Grocery Multiples 75
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE & BEDS MARKET 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2011-2020 - UK (000'S DWELLINGS) 15
- CHART 6 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2020 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 16
- TABLE 7 RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK (000S) 2011-2020 17
- TABLE 8 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 9 DOMESTIC FURNITURE MARKET - UK (£M MSP) 2011-2020 20
- CHART 10 UK MARKET MIX OF FURNITURE 2002, 2008 & 2015 21
- TABLE 11 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 23
- TABLE 12 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 25
- CHART 13 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS AND HOUSES) 2005-2020 26
- TABLE 14 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020 27
- TABLE 15 AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016 28
- CHART 16 GROWTH OF THE PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR 2014-2025 (NO OF DWELLINGS - MILLION) 29
- TABLE 17 THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 31
- TABLE 18 IMPORTS OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE 2012 - 2015 (£M) 34
- TABLE 19 EXPORTS OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE 2012 - 2015 (£M) 35
- TABLE 20 THE UK UPHOLSTERY MARKET BY TYPE - 2, 3, 4 SEATER SOFAS, SUITES, SINGLE SOFAS ETC (£M AND % SHARE) 2015 36
- CHART 21 UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE 2015 (% OF VALUE) 36
- TABLE 22 SHARE OF ACTION FURNITURE 2007-2015 (% OF VALUE) 37
- CHART 23 UK UPHOLSTERY MARKET - MIX BY COVER TYPE BY VALUE 2015 40
- CHART 24 UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET BY END-USER BY VALUE 2015 42
- TABLE 25 MARKET SHARES - UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET SUPPLIERS 2015 44
- TABLE 26 THE UK BEDS & MATTRESSES MARKET 2011-2020 BY VALUE 49
- TABLE 27 IMPORTS OF DIVANS, BEDSTEADS & MATTRESSES 2012 - 2015 (£M) 52
- TABLE 28 EXPORTS OF DIVANS, BEDSTEADS & MATTRESSES 2012 - 2015 (£M) 53
- TABLE 29 PRODUCT MIX - DIVANS & BEDSTEADS 2015 53
- CHART 30 THE UK BEDS MARKET BY KEY PRODUCT TYPE 2015 (SHARE BY VALUE) 54
- CHART 31 THE UK MARKET FOR MATTRESSES BY TYPE OF SUPPORT 2015 (% OF VALUE) 57
- TABLE 32 UK BED MANUFACTURERS' MARKET SHARES 2015 (% OF VALUE) 60
- TABLE 33 DISTRIBUTION OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE AND BEDS 2015 (% OF VALUE) 67
The 'Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.