Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 11/12/2018 / Number of Pages: 72 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 14th Edition of the 'Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2018-2022' contains analysis of the key upholstered furniture and bed products, recent market trends and future prospects, along with supplier and distribution analysis. This report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in the industry or considering entry.
Key content covered:
- Upholstered furniture and Beds and Mattresses markets in the UK, highlighting key organisations and factors affecting market performance.
- Product group analysis includes the following sectors:
- Upholstered Furniture - sofas, armchairs, convertibles and action or motion upholstery.
- Beds - divan sets, bedsteads, bed frames, bunk beds, guest beds and so on.
- Mattresses - sprung, visco-elastic, latex, etc
Recent trends include:
- Review of market performance 2013-2017 prospects for 2018 - influences including GDP growth, housing construction, economic forecasts, household consumption, etc.
- Product sector review - analysis of markets by product group 2013-2017.
- Analysis of import levels by sector.o Review of market structures and major manufacturers in each sector.
- Analysis of distribution trends.
- Forecasts for Upholstered, Beds and Mattresses sectors 2018-2022.
- Detailed market data and insight on the upholstered furniture and beds market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
1869 Ltd, Airsprung Group plc, Alstons, AMX Design Ltd, Ashley Manor Upholstery, Buoyant Upholstery, Carpetright, Celebrity Motion Furniture, DFS Trading, Dreams, Duresta Upholstery, Ekornes, Elano Furniture, Ercol Furniture, Flex Equipos de Descanso SA, Furnico, Furniture Village, G Plan Upholstery Ltd, Harrison Spinks Beds, Highgrove Beds, Hypnos, JDP Furniture Group, Layezee Beds, La-Z-Boy UK, Lebus Upholstery, Mark Webster Holdings, Millbrook (UK), Natuzzi, Parker Knoll Upholstery, Rest Assured, Sealy UK, Sherborne Upholstery, Silentnight Group, Sleepeezee Holdings, Sofa Brands International, Steinhoff UK Holdings, Sweet Dreams, TCM Corporation Public Company, Templeco 672 Ltd, Tempur UK, The Lounge Co, The Pocket Spring Company, Vale Bridgecraft, Vi-Spring Ltd, Welbeck House, Wesley Barrell, Westbridge Furniture Designs, Whitemeadow Furniture, etc.
- Market definition of products included in the report.
- Market trends 2013-2018 - factors influencing market development, Brexit uncertainty, economic trends, levels of construction activity, competitive strategies, design trends and so on.
- Market prospects for overall domestic furniture market - household expenditure trends, possible impact of Brexit outcome, housebuilding activity, including financial schemes to increase levels of activity, ongoing changes in distribution structures and so on.
- Changing trends in consumer purchasing patterns.
- Market size and analysis by product group:
- Upholstered - suites, sofas, armchairs and motion or action upholstery; divans, bedsteads and bed frames; mattresses.
- Product mix within major product groups - analysis by major sectors, share by sector, key trends.
- Product trends by product group - growth sectors and so on.
- Market size by value 2018-2022 - product analysis, market trends, growth prospects and the effect of the EU referendum on the economy in the short to medium term.
- Factors influencing market growth - fashions trends influencing market, material preferences, trend towards larger beds, growth of storage and multi-function furniture.
- Imports - increasing price competition, potential for UK based manufacturers, rising costs, etc.
Supply and Distribution
- Review of major suppliers in all product sectors - major groups, leading companies, specialist suppliers. Company overview, key products, sectors and financial information.
- Review of distribution structure illustrating direct supply and key channels including major companies operating in each channel, growth on online and multi-channel shopping.
- Company overview and financials for key distributors.
The market increased steadily in the 2012-15 period, as the UK economy improved and consumer confidence rose. However, growth has slowed in the last two years. The improving economic situation and growth in the housebuilding sector had a positive impact on consumer confidence, with specialist upholstery retailers continuing to spend heavily on advertising and promotion in the face of strong competition in the sector.
The popularity of modern and contemporary furniture seems to favour alternative furniture combinations, rather than the traditional 3-piece suites. Tailored designs and clean lines are expected to continue in line with contemporary trends. In terms of colours, recent evidence suggests that neutral and plain colours are the mainstay and will continue to remain popular in the medium term, particularly grey, beige and cream shades.
Other trends include flexible and modular furniture options to allow for open plan living areas and awkward spaces. This is also reflected in the range of design options now offered, including corner sofas, u-shaped sofas and chaise sofas etc.Multi-functional furniture has made inroads into a number of furniture sectors in recent years, with storage an increasingly important issue.
In terms of suppliers, assuming that the fall in the value of the Sterling continues - and many financial institutions believe this to be the case - the price of imports will increase and this could drive value growth in the market. At the same time, UK manufacturers will become more competitive with opportunities to increase market share.
Multiple furnishing outlets have the advantages of increased purchasing power and the wide range of stock they are able to carry and this is likely to enable them to maintain their market share, but they are facing strong competition, particularly from digital and E-commerce companies.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SITUATION ASSESSMENT 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. OVERALL UK FURNITURE MARKET & HOUSING INFLUENCES 17
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 17
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS 19
- 4.3 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS 20
- 4.3.1 New Housebuilding 20
- 4.3.2 Housing Product Mix 21
- 4.3.3 House Moving 22
- 4.3.4 Household Size 23
- 4.3.5 Private Rental Sector 24
- 5. THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET 25
- 5.1 DEFINITION 25
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND BACKGROUND 25
- 5.2.1 Market Size 25
- 5.2.2 Current Situation 26
- 5.2.3 Market Prospects 27
- 5.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 28
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 29
- 5.4.1 Upholstery Type 29
- 5.4.2 Materials 33
- 5.4.3 Frames 35
- 5.4.4 Fillings 36
- 5.5 END USER MIX 36
- 5.6 SUPPLIERS 37
- 5.6.1 Market Structure 37
- 5.6.2 Market Shares 38
- 5.6.3 Leading Suppliers 39
- 6. BEDS & MATTRESSES 44
- 6.1 DEFINITION 44
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 44
- 6.2.1 Market Size 44
- 6.2.2 Current Trends 45
- 6.2.3 Market Prospects 45
- 6.2.4 International Trade 47
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 49
- 6.3.1 Bed Size 49
- 6.3.2 Bed Type/Style 50
- 6.3.3 Mattresses 51
- 6.3.4 Others 53
- 6.4 CONTRACT/NON-DOMESTIC MARKET 54
- 6.5 SUPPLIERS 55
- 6.5.1 Supplier Market Shares 55
- 6.5.2 Leading Suppliers 56
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 61
- 7.1 STRUCTURE 61
- 7.2 STORE LAYOUT AND DESIGN 61
- 7.3 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 62
- 7.3.1 Definition 62
- 7.3.2 Channel Share 62
- 7.3.3 Furniture Multiples 63
- 7.3.4 Furniture Independents 67
- 7.3.5 Department Stores 67
- 7.3.6 Variety Stores 68
- 7.3.7 Digital Retailers/Catalogue Retailers/Mail Order 69
- 7.3.8 Others 72
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE & BEDS MARKET 2012-2022 (£M MSP AND % CHANGE) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: THE UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2013-2022 BY VALUE - (£M MSP) 17
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC FURNITURE PRODUCT MIX 2002, 2010 AND 2017 - % BY VALUE 18
- TABLE 8: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME 20
- CHART 9: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY DWELLING TYPE: (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2017 - % 22
- TABLE 10: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013-2018 (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 23
- TABLE 11: AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2017 23
- CHART 12: GROWTH OF THE UK PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR 2015-16 TO 2024-25 - BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS (MILLIONS) 24
- TABLE 13: THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET 2012-2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 25
- TABLE 14: IMPORTS OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE 2013 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 28
- TABLE 15: EXPORTS OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE 2013 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 29
- TABLE 16: THE UK UPHOLSTERY MARKET BY TYPE (2, 3, 4 SEATER SOFAS, SUITES, SINGLE SOFAS ETC) 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) AND % SHARE 30
- CHART 17: UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE 2018 - % BY VALUE 30
- TABLE 18: SHARE OF ACTION FURNITURE 2009-2018 (% OF VALUE) 31
- CHART 19: UK UPHOLSTERY MARKET MIX BY COVER TYPE 2018 - % BY VALUE 34
- CHART 20: UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET BY END-USER SECTOR 2018 - % BY VALUE 37
- TABLE 21: UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS 2017-18 38
- TABLE 22: THE UK BEDS & MATTRESSES MARKET 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 44
- TABLE 23: IMPORTS OF DIVANS, BEDSTEADS AND MATTRESSES 2013 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 48
- TABLE 24: EXPORTS OF DIVANS, BEDSTEADS AND MATTRESSES 2013 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 48
- TABLE 25: UK MARKET FOR DIVANS AND BEDSTEADS PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % SHARE BY VOLUME AND VALUE 49
- CHART 26: THE UK MARKET FOR BEDS BY KEY PRODUCT TYPE 2018 % BY VALUE 50
- CHART 27: THE UK MARKET FOR MATTRESSES BY TYPE OF SUPPORT 2018 - % OF VALUE 52
- TABLE 28: UK BED MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS 2017-18 55
- TABLE 29: DISTRIBUTION OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE AND BEDS 2017-18 % BY VALUE 62
The 'Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.