Ventilation and Air Conditioning Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 09/05/2017 / Number of Pages: 81 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 4th edition of the 'Ventilation and Air Conditioning Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' incorporates original input and primary research, the report represents an informed and up-to-date and detailed review of the market and offers excellent value for money. This market is substantial, with an estimated total value of over £1 billion at manufacturers' prices. In recent years, the UK ventilation and air conditioning market has benefited from increasing health, safety and energy efficiency legislation, revised Building Regulations and environmental legislation. This has stimulated product innovation and development.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Ventilation: Non-domestic systems - axial, centrifugal, and other fans, commercial system, demand control ventilation, MVE, MVHR etc. Domestic systems - intermittent and continuous extract fans, continuous mechanical ventilation systems - MVE, MVHR etc.
- Air Conditioning: Packaged systems - split systems, cassettes, VRF systems, portables, self-contained, close control etc. Central station systems - AHUs, chillers, condensers, cooling towers, terminal units - fan coil units, chilled beams/ceilings, VAV units etc.
- Accessories: ducting, filters, natural ventilators, grilles, diffusers, registers, dampers, other products including chimneys, flues, valves, cowls etc.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Growing awareness about the importance of Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) with revisions to the building regulations resulting in the greater air tightness of buildings.
- Impact of increasing legislation - ErP Directive LOT 6, Part F, Part L, ODS Regulation, EPBD Directive, Fire and Smoke, F-Gas, etc.
- Existence of a number of government initiatives providing long term market motivation - roll-out of smart meters, the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme, Enhanced Capital Allowance, RHI etc.
- Impact of Brexit on domestic housebuilding and non-domestic construction sectors. Areas of potential future market opportunity for VAC suppliers.
- Considerable replacement opportunities in existing buildings.
- Product innovation and technological developments - variable speed drives, multiple scroll compressors, EC motors, free cooling, DCV, VRF systems, smart controls, continuous mechanical ventilation systems etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the ventilation and air conditioning market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the Companies Included:
Airedale International Air Conditioning, Airflow Developments, Colt International, EBM-Papst UK, Elta Fans, EnviroVent, Flakt Woods, Daikin, Eaton-Williams Group, Fujitsu General Air Conditioning UK, GEA Group, Hitachi Air Conditioning Europe, Howden UK, Johnson Controls (Cbre GWS), Kelvion, LG Electronics UK, Lindab, Mansfield Pollard, Mitsubishi, Nuaire, Polypipe, Swegon Air Management, Systemair, Titon, Toshiba Air Conditioning, Trane UK, Trox UK, TEV, Vent-Axia, VES Andover, Volution Group plc, Weatherite Air Conditioning, Xpelair, Zehnder Group UK, Ziehl-Abegg UK.
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts - legislative changes (Part F, Part L, New Housing Standards), environmental concerns (Smart Meters, CRC, RHI). ErP Directive (LOT 6) etc. Market mix (non-domestic, domestic).
- Non-domestic ventilation - product mix - axial fans, centrifugal fans, other fans/systems. Analysis by product group: Axial fans - bifurcated, tunnel, variable pitch, plate mounted propeller, contra rotating, jet thrust etc. Centrifugal fans, cross-flow (tangential), roof extract, desk, box and ceiling, Atex compliant, flue dilution etc. Commercial system ventilation including MVHR, MVE systems.
- Domestic ventilation - product mix - extract fans, continuous mechanical ventilation systems. Analysis by product group: Intermittent and continuous extract fans - market size, developments, influences, application mix etc. Continuous mechanical ventilation systems - (MVE, MVHR, PIV and MIV), product mix, market size, new build trends etc.
- Major manufacturers - market shares, factors influencing market position, characteristics, turnover etc.
- Review of distribution non-domestic ventilation, domestic ventilation - key channels and developments.
- Future prospects in all product sectors.
- Forecasts through to 2021.
- Total market size, trends, key market influences.
- Forecasts through to 2021.
- Market size, mix and structure by product group - packaged and central station systems.
- Packaged Air Conditioning (PAC) - product mix (split systems, portables, self-contained, close control). Analysis by product group, development of VRF systems, key influences, trends etc.
- Central Station Air Conditioning Plant (CSACP) - product mix (AHU's, chillers/condensers, terminal units - fan coil units, chilled beams/ceilings, VAV units). Analysis by product group, trends, influences, innovations etc.
- Leading manufacturers - market shares, characteristics, turnover etc.
- Review of distribution by product group - key channels and developments.
- Accessories market size, key driving factors, future prospects.
- Ventilation and air conditioning accessories - product mix (ducting, filters, grilles/diffusers/registers, dampers, natural ventilators - trickle, louvers, acoustic, PSV etc. Other accessories - chimneys, flues valves, cowls etc. Key influences and trends, major suppliers etc.
- Review of distribution - key channels and developments.
- Market prospects - ventilation, air conditioning and accessories.
- Forecasts through to 2021.
- Key future influences - trends in housebuilding and non-domestic construction, RMI activity, fuel prices, energy efficiency legislation, renewable technologies plus climatic factors.
The UK ventilation and air conditioning market is significant, and has seen steady growth since 2013, with the recovery in the UK economy stimulating construction activity, as well as consumer and business confidence levels. Positive influences on the ventilation and air conditioning market include increasing health, safety and energy efficiency legislation, revised Building Regulations and environmental legislation, which has in turn stimulated product innovation and development. In overall terms, the UK ventilation and air conditioning market exhibits the characteristics of an increasingly mature market.
Although the market situation in early 2017 is more subdued, the current forecast for the UK ventilation and air conditioning market remains moderately positive, with more steady growth from 2019 onwards. Following the UK Brexit vote in mid-2016, the outlook for this market, like many others will depend on the path taken to exit the EU and the type of trade and legislative deals formulated. By 2021 it is estimated that the UK ventilation and air conditioning market will have increased by 10 - 11% when compared to the estimated market size in 2017.
The majority of domestic ventilation products are distributed via merchants, DIY multiples and electrical wholesalers. Other channels include the internet, specialist heating and ventilation retailers, hardware stores, department stores, grocery multiples and catalogues. Non-domestic ventilation products are commonly distributed direct to the contractor or end-user but are also sold via the trade distributors. Packaged air conditioning systems tend to be sold either direct to contractors or via specialist trade distributors. However, portable products are also available from non-specialist retail outlets, the internet and the DIY Multiples. Central station air conditioning systems are generally distributed direct to contractors.
The future performance of the UK ventilation and air conditioning market is likely to be influenced by overall trends in housebuilding and non-domestic construction, RMI activity, fuel prices, energy efficiency legislation, renewable technologies, levels of personal disposable income, plus climatic factors and air temperatures. Regulations influencing the market include; the EU Ecodesign Regulation for ventilation units; the European Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS) Regulation; the EU's Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD); Phase 2 of the CRC Energy Efficiency; and EU Fire Legislation. Enhanced levels of market penetration are also likely to arise from product innovation and technological developments, for example variable speed drives, multiple scroll compressors, EC motors, filter sensors and heat recovery systems. In recent years, there has been good growth in VRF or VRV air conditioning systems, reflecting the fact that they offer more efficient operation and can therefore save operational costs.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 OVERALL MARKET 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. CONSTRUCTION AND ECONOMIC INFLUENCES 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 STERLING 16
- 3.6 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.7 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 17
- 3.7.1 Non-domestic Construction 17
- 3.7.2 House Building Starts and Completions 20
- 3.7.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 21
- 3.7.4 House Moving Levels 23
- 3.7.5 House Prices 23
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 24
- 4. VENTILATION 25
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 25
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 25
- 4.2.1 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 25
- 4.2.2 Market Background 26
- 4.2.3 Market Prospects 26
- 4.2.4 Legislative Changes 28
- 4.2.5 Environmental Initiatives 29
- 4.2.6 Renewable Energy Technologies 30
- 4.2.7 The Internet of Things 31
- 4.2.8 ErP and Ecodesign Directive (LOT 6) 31
- 4.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 33
- 4.3.1 Product Mix (Commercial & Residential Ventilation) 33
- 4.3.2 Commercial & Industrial Ventilation (Axial, Centrifugal, Other, MVE, MVHR) 34
- 4.3.3 Residential Ventilation (Extract Fans, PIV, MIV, MEV, MVHR) 37
- 4.4 COMPANIES AND SHARES 45
- 4.4.1 Shares 45
- 4.4.2 Key Companies 46
- 4.4.3 Other Suppliers 48
- 4.5 DISTRIBUTION 51
- 4.5.1 Non-Domestic Ventilation 51
- 4.5.2 Residential Ventilation 52
- 5. AIR CONDITIONING 54
- 5.1 DEFINITION 54
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 54
- 5.2.1 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 54
- 5.2.2 Market Background 55
- 5.2.3 Market Prospects 55
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 57
- 5.3.1 Product Mix 57
- 5.3.2 Packaged Air Conditioning Systems (PAC) 58
- 5.3.3 Central Station Air Conditioning Plant (CSACP) 62
- 5.4 SUPPLIERS 67
- 5.4.1 Market Shares - Packaged Air Conditioning (PAC) 67
- 5.4.2 Market Shares - Central Station Air Conditioning Plant (CSACP) 67
- 5.4.3 Key Companies 68
- 5.4.4 Other Suppliers 69
- 5.5 DISTRIBUTION 72
- 5.5.1 Packaged Air Conditioning (PAC) 72
- 5.5.2 Central Station Air Conditioning Plant (CSACP) 74
- 6. VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES 75
- 6.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 75
- 6.1.1 Definition 75
- 6.1.2 Market Size 2012 - 2021 75
- 6.1.3 Market Background 75
- 6.1.4 Market Prospects 76
- 6.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 77
- 6.2.1 Product Mix 77
- 6.2.2 Ducting and Fabricated Parts 78
- 6.2.3 Filters 78
- 6.2.4 Natural Ventilators 79
- 6.2.5 Grilles, Diffusers and Registers 80
- 6.2.6 Fire, Smoke and Air Control Dampers 80
- 6.2.7 Other Products (Chimneys, Flues, Valves, Cowls) 80
- 6.3 DISTRIBUTION 81
- Tables and Charts
- CHART 1: UK VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI BY VALUE 2012 - 2021 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) GB 17
- CHART 7: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2015 AND Q1-Q3 2016 - % BY VALUE GB 18
- CHART 8: INDUSTRIAL CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 19
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 20
- CHART 10: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2020 22
- TABLE 11: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2012 -2020 23
- TABLE 12: UK VENTILATION MARKET (£M MSP) 2012 - 2021 25
- CHART 13: OVERALL MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (COMMERCIAL, RESIDENTIAL) BY VALUE 2016 33
- CHART 14: NON-DOMESTIC MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (AXIAL FANS, CENTRIFUGAL FANS, OTHER) BY VALUE 2016 34
- CHART 15: RESIDENTIAL MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (EXTRACT FANS, MECHANICAL VENTILATION SYSTEMS) BY VALUE 2016 38
- CHART 16: RESIDENTIAL EXTRACT FANS MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION (RMI, NEW HOUSING) BY VOLUME 2016 40
- CHART 17: RESIDENTIAL MECHANICAL VENTILATION SYSTEM MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (MEV, MVHR, PIV, MIV) BY VOLUME 2016 42
- CHART 18: RESIDENTIAL MECHANICAL VENTILATION SYSTEM MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION (RMI, NEW HOUSING) - BY VOLUME 2016 44
- TABLE 19: VENTILATION SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARE - BY VALUE 2016 45
- CHART 20: NON-DOMESTIC MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (DIRECT, DISTRIBUTOR) BY VALUE 2016 52
- TABLE 21: RESIDENTIAL MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (MERCHANTS, DIY MULTIPLES, ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS, OTHER) BY VALUE 2016 53
- TABLE 22: UK AIR CONDITIONING MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 54
- CHART 23: UK AIR CONDITIONING MARKET MIX (PAC, CENTRAL STATION) BY VALUE 2016 57
- CHART 24: AIR CONDITIONING MARKET MIX BY VALUE 1994, 2016, 2021 58
- TABLE 25: UK PACKAGED AIR CONDITIONING MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 59
- CHART 26: PAC MARKET MIX (SPLIT SYSTEMS, PORTABLES, SELF-CONTAINED, CLOSE CONTROL) BY VALUE 2016 60
- TABLE 27: UK CENTRAL STATION AIR CONDITIONING MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 63
- CHART 28: CENTRAL STATION MARKET MIX (CHILLERS, AIR HANDLING UNITS, TERMINAL UNITS) BY VALUE 2016 64
- TABLE 29: PAC SYSTEM SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 67
- TABLE 30: CENTRAL STATION SYSTEM SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 67
- CHART 31: PAC MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (DIRECT, DISTRIBUTOR, OTHER) BY VALUE 2016 73
- TABLE 32: UK VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES MARKET (£M MSP) 2012 - 2021 75
- CHART 33: UK VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 77
- TABLE 34: VAC ACCESSORIES MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE BY VALUE 2016 77
The 'Ventilation and Air Conditioning Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.