Waste Management Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 26/03/2019 / Number of Pages: 91 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 10th edition of the 'Waste Management Market Report - UK 2019-2023 Analysis' addresses the UK market for management of controlled waste arisings from the municipal, commercial & industrial and construction & demolition sectors. The report focuses on the business of waste management contracting and includes data on market size and trends, regulatory developments, product mix, industry supply and future directions.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Waste management contractors market - size by value from 2014 to 2019, with forecasts provided to 2023.
- Review by service type - i.e. non-hazardous waste collection, treatment & disposal, materials recovery and hazardous waste management.
- Main waste streams - municipal, commercial & industrial and construction & demolition, including arisings and methods of treatment and disposal.
- Industry structure and supply - main suppliers, with profiles of the sector's leading operators..
Areas of particular interest include:
- Key market trends - size, trends and segmentation within the waste management contracting market.
- Waste collection - review of local authority budgets, residual waste, food/organic/green waste.
- Treatment and disposal - detailed review of landfill, recycling, incineration methods.
- ndustry supply - turnover, service offerings and regions served for the industry's largest companies.
- Market forecasts to 2023 - future trends in the industry, likely influencers on market direction.
- Detailed market data and insight on the waste management market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Amey, ASCO Waste Management, Associated Waste Management (AWM)Augean Plc, Biffa Group, Bywaters, Cleansing Service Group, Cory Riverside Energy (CRE), Countrystyle Recycling, DS Smith Recycling, Enva Group, F & R Cawley, FCC Environment (UK), GBN Services, Greentech Distribution Plc, Grundon Waste, Management, Hills Waste Solutions, HW Martin Group, LondonEnergy, Mid UK Recycling, Niramax Group, Palm Recycling, Powerday, Reconomy UK, Renewi Plc, Saica Natur UK, Stericycle, Suez Recycling and Recovery Holdings Ltd, Tradebe Environmental Services, Transwaste Recycling and Aggregates, Veolia Environmental Services, Viridor, WasteCare Group, Yorwaste, etc.
- Market size & trends - market size data from 2014-2019 inclusive.
- Market prospects to 2023 - forecasts, Government policy, Brexit impact, etc.
- Key market drivers - waste arisings, legislation, recycling, subsidy schemes.
- Waste treatment & disposal - landfill trends, energy from waste (EfW) schemes, anaerobic digestion.
- Materials recovery - trends in municipal dry waste recycling, MRF and MBT operations.
Main Waste Streams
- Municipal waste management - trends in municipal waste arisings, local authority spending on environmental services, recycling and landfill volumes, trends in MSW collection and disposals.
- Commercial & industrial waste management - trends in CIW arisings, trends in treatment and disposal methods.
- Construction & demolition waste management - trends in CDW arisings, trends in treatment and disposal methods.
- Hazardous waste management - review of trends in hazardous waste arisings, trends in treatment and disposal methods..
Industry Structure and Supply
- Size & distribution - breakdown of the industry by turnover bands, identification of the largest providers in terms of handling capacity.
- Company profiles - financial performance, merger and acquisition activity, areas of operation, key services offered, etc.
The market experienced a small increase in value terms during 2016 and 2017. This growth has largely been underpinned by legislation such as EU Directives targeted at reducing landfill levels and stimulating growth in recycling, composting and EfW generation. Due to Brexit, the future regulatory situation regarding waste management remains slightly unclear, although the UK authorities are highly unlikely to divert from the current goals of waste reduction and transitioning to a more circular economy to any significant degree. Market value has also benefited from factors such as growth in RDF exports and more large-scale facilities (e.g. EfW incinerators) coming on-stream.
However, market performance is expected to drop off in the coming years, due to lower prices for recovered materials, cuts in local authority budgets for waste management services and greater pressures to reduce the amount of household and commercial waste generated. Although Brexit continues to negatively impact upon key investment decisions, it may also present opportunities for the waste management industry - these include a move away from the tonnage/weight-based targets for recycling and waste management favoured by the EU, as well as enabling the UK to develop waste and recycling policies more suited towards its individual requirements.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 MARKET DEFINITION 7
- 1.2 METHODOLOGY 7
- 1.3 GLOSSARY OF TERMS AND ABBREVIATIONS 9
- 2. SUMMARY 10
- 2.1 MARKET BACKGROUND 10
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 13
- 3.2 KEY DATA 14
- 3.2.1 GDP 14
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 14
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 15
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 16
- 3.2.5 Sterling 17
- 4. WASTE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTORS MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITIONS 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 18
- 4.2.1 Recent Trends & Market Size by Value 18
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 22
- 4.3 GENERAL MARKET DRIVERS 25
- 4.3.1 Waste Arisings 25
- 4.3.2 EU and UK Government legislation 26
- 4.3.3 Government Initiatives 26
- 4.3.4 Markets for Recovered Materials and Price Movements 32
- 4.3.5 Value Added from Integrated Waste Management Services 37
- 5. WASTE MANAGEMENT SERVICES 39
- 5.1 MIX OF SECTORS 39
- 5.2 COLLECTION OF NON-HAZARDOUS WASTE 39
- 5.3 TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL OF NON-HAZARDOUS WASTE 40
- 5.3.1 Definition 40
- 5.3.2 Landfill 40
- 5.3.3 Energy from Waste Generation 42
- 5.3.4 Solid Waste Recycling 48
- 5.3.5 Mechanical Biological Treatment 50
- 6. MAIN WASTE STREAMS 52
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 52
- 6.2 MUNICIPAL 52
- 6.2.1 Introduction 52
- 6.2.2 Trends in MSW Arisings and Local Authority Waste Management Expenditure 53
- 6.2.3 MSW Collection 57
- 6.2.4 MSW Treatment and Disposal 58
- 6.3 COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL WASTE - NON-HAZARDOUS 61
- 6.3.1 Non-Hazardous CIW Arisings 61
- 6.3.2 CIW Treatment and Disposal 62
- 6.4 CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION WASTE - NON-HAZARDOUS 63
- 6.4.1 C & D Waste Generation 63
- 6.4.2 C & D Waste Management 65
- 6.5 HAZARDOUS WASTE 66
- 6.5.1 Hazardous Waste Arisings 66
- 6.5.2 Hazardous Waste Management 67
- 7. INDUSTRY STRUCTURE AND SUPPLY 70
- 7.1 INDUSTRY SIZE 70
- 7.2 SERVICE PROVISION 73
- 7.3 LARGE NATIONAL CONTRACTORS 76
- 7.4 REGIONAL AND SPECIALIST WASTE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTORS 85
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK MARKET FOR CONTROLLED WASTE MANAGEMENT (COLLECTION, TREATMENT & DISPOSAL AND MATERIALS RECOVERY) BY VALUE (£BILLION) 2014 - 2023 10
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 14
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 15
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 16
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 16
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 7: ENGLAND: LOCAL AUTHORITY SPENDING: NET CURRENT EXPENDITURE ON ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES AND TOTAL SERVICE EXPENDITURE (£BN) 2012/13 TO 2018/19 24
- CHART 8: UK CONTROLLED WASTE ARISINGS BY MAIN WASTE STREAM, 2017/18 25
- TABLE 9: MEDIAN GATE FEES COMPARISON (£/TONNE) BY METHOD OF DISPOSAL AND TREATMENT 2010- 2017 29
- CHART 10: UK TRENDS IN NUMBERS OF ROCS ISSUED TO ACCREDITED FUELLED RENEWABLE ENERGY PLANTS 2011/12 -2018/19 31
- CHART 11: AD PLANTS INSTALLED UNDER THE FEED-IN-TARIFF YEAR 1 TO YEAR 8 32
- CHART 12: ANNUAL PACKAGING RECYCLING TARGETS BY MATERIAL TYPE 2018-2020 34
- TABLE 13: AVERAGE MEDIAN PRICES FOR SELECTED RECYCLABLE MATERIALS Q3 2016 -Q4 2018 35
- TABLE 14: UK RDF EXPORTS (THOUSAND TONNES) 2013 -2018 36
- CHART 15: UK WASTE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTING SERVICES MIX BY TYPE BY VALUE 39
- CHART 16: ENGLAND TOTAL WASTE SENT TO LANDFILL (MILLION TONNES) 2012-2018 41
- CHART 17: LANDFILL GATE FEES (INCLUDING AND EXCLUDING LANDFILL TAX) 2012 -2017 42
- TABLE 18: LEADING EFW FACILITIES IN THE UK, 2018/2019 44
- TABLE 19: NUMBER OF AD PLANTS IN THE UK, 2013-2018 46
- CHART 20: MERCHANT & ON-FARM AD FEEDSTOCK BY INPUT (TONNES) 2018 47
- CHART 21: ENGLAND - TOTAL COLLECTED MSW RECOVERED VOLUMES FOR RECYCLING, 2012 -2018 49
- CHART 22: UK ANNUAL OPENINGS OF NEW MBT PLANTS BY RESIDUAL WASTE INPUT CAPACITY ('000 TONNES) 2012 - 2018 51
- CHART 23: UK WASTE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTORS MARKET BY SERVICE TYPE BY VALUE 2017/18 52
- CHART 24: UK HOUSEHOLD WASTE ARISINGS (MILLION TONNES) 2012-2018 53
- CHART 25: ENGLAND LOCAL AUTHORITIES ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES NET REVENUE AND CAPITAL BUDGETS (£000) 2012/13 -2018/19 54
- CHART 26: ENGLAND LOCAL AUTHORITIES WASTE MANAGEMENT REVENUE BUDGET BY SERVICE 2018/19 55
- TABLE 27: HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTION IN ENGLAND BY TYPE (000 TONNES), 2013- 2017 57
- CHART 28: ENGLAND MSW DISPOSAL ROUTES ('000 TONNES) 2011/12 - 2017/18 58
- CHART 29: UK MSW AND BMW TONNAGES & % LANDFILLED 2021-2018 59
- CHART 30: UK MSW RECYCLING VOLUMES ('000 TONNES) AND RATES (%) 60
- CHART 31: UK NON-HAZARDOUS COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL WASTE ARISINGS 2013-2018 61
- CHART 32: CIW TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL BY INPUT BY METHOD 62TABLE 33: UK GENERATION OF NON-HAZARDOUS CONSTRUCTION & DEMOLITION WASTE (MILLION TONNES), 2013-18 64
- TABLE 34: UK NON-HAZARDOUS CONSTRUCTION & DEMOLITION WASTE ARISINGS BY MATERIAL (%) 2018 65
- TABLE 35: UK C & D WASTE RECOVERY VOLUMES AND RATES 2013 - 2018 66
- CHART 36: ENGLAND: HAZARDOUS WASTE ARISINGS ('000 TONNES) 2012 - 2017 67
- CHART 37: UK MARKET FOR HAZARDOUS WASTE COLLECTION, TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL BY VALUE (£M) 2010 - 2015 68
- CHART 38: UK HAZARDOUS TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL BY METHOD BY INPUTS (BY TONNAGE) 2017 68
- TABLE 39: UK WASTE MANAGEMENT INDUSTRY BUSINESS BY NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES, 2018 70
- TABLE 40: UK WASTE MANAGEMENT INDUSTRY BUSINESS BY TURNOVER (£000S) SIZE BAND, 2018 71
- TABLE 41: TOP 30 WASTE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTORS IN UK BY ANNUAL TURNOVER 2017-2018 73
- TABLE 42: LEADING OPERATORS OF EFW INCINERATORS 2017/2018 76
The 'Waste Management Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.