Water Heating Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 17/02/2017 / Number of Pages: 68 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 2nd edition of the 'Water Heating Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' reviews the development of the market for water heating products in the UK, driven by the growth of mains pressurised water heating systems in particular. The report represents an informed, up-to-date and detailed review of the domestic and non-domestic water heating market.
Key areas covered:
- Hot water storage systems - unvented cylinders, vented cylinders, thermal stores, gas-fired water heaters, renewables cylinders, small cylinders.
- Instantaneous water heaters - multi-point, single point.
- Boiling water - heater units, taps.
Key areas of insight include:
- Impact of renewable technologies on domestic and non-domestic water heating systems.
- Influence of developments such boiling water taps used for hot drinks and food preparation, both in domestic properties and in commercial premises.
- Impact of changing legislation regarding the efficiency and environmental impact of water heating -ErP 2015, Part L, new simplified rules on energy efficiency incorporated with building regulations.
- Development of mains pressurised systems, with increasing demand for high flow rates, performance showering, multi-bathroom properties etc.
- Impact of fluctuating fuel prices with consumers and businesses looking for alternative methods of hot water heating.
- Increasing use of smart heating controls for remote management of both heating and hot water.
- Detailed market data and insight on the water heating market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
ACV UK, Advance Appliances, AEL Heating, A.O. Smith Water Products, Ariston Thermo Group, BDR Thermea, Biasi UK, Crown Water Heaters, Dimplex, Electric Heating Company (EHC), Fabdec, Flamco, GAH Heating, Gledhill Building Products, Grant Engineering UK, Hamworthy Heating, Heatstore, Hyco Manufacturing, Johnson and Starley, Ideal Stelrad Group, Joule, Kingspan Hot Water Systems, McDonald Engineers UK, Morco Products, Newark Copper Cylinder Company, OSO Hotwater UK, Redring Xpelair, Rinnai, RM Cylinders, Rointe, Stiebel Eltron, Strebel, Strom, Telford Group, Therma Q, Triton, Vaillant, Viessmann, Warmflow Engineering Co, Worcester Bosch, Zip Heaters UK.
Hot Water Storage Systems
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts to 2021. Key market influences including legislative changes - Part L. ErP, Government grants and incentives etc, housebuilding and RMI expenditure. Domestic ownership levels for 2016 and historical developments. Source of fuel. Product mix etc.
- Cylinders >15 litre capacity - product mix by type, vented and unvented, direct and indirect. Market size, product trends, key end use sectors.
- Renewable cylinders - solar and heat pump compatible cylinders, twin and triple coil. Market trends, prospects, end use sectors.
- Thermal storage systems - benefits, characteristics, applications etc.
- Pre-plumbed cylinders - market and products trends, benefits, key sectors, e.g. new house build, existing properties.
- Small cylinders <15 litre capacity - vented and unvented, market and products trends, market size, suppliers.
- Major manufacturers - market share, factors influencing market position, characteristics, turnover, product range.
- Review of distribution - key channels and developments, market share and an overview of the main distributors in each channels.
- Installation and specification - process in new build, refurbishment etc.
Instantaneous Water Heaters
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts to 2021. Legislative changes - Part L, ErP etc. Government initiatives - smart meters etc. Advantages and disadvantages.
- Multi-point heaters - gas-fired, electric. Key product and market trends, condensing technology, applications, market prospects.
- Single-point heaters - gas-fired, electric. In-line, hand wash units. Product trends, developments etc.
- Leading manufacturers - market shares, characteristics, products and turnover.
- Review of distribution - key channels, distributor profiles and developments.
Boiling, Water Heaters & Taps
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts to 2021. Key market influences and drivers.
- Product mix - boiling water heaters, boiling water taps. Including market trends, key influences, benefits, applications, product developments etc.
- Supply and distribution - market shares of leading suppliers and distributors, characteristics, turnover, key distribution channels, new product launches etc.
The value of the UK water heating market increased by a modest 1% in 2016, following two years of slightly higher growth. The market for domestic and non-domestic water heating products has seen relatively steady growth since 2013, with the recovery in the UK economy stimulating construction activity, also consumer and business confidence levels. The core product sectors of the UK water heating market include hot water storage systems, which account for an estimated 67%, followed by instantaneous water heaters and boiling water heaters and taps.
Positive influences on this market include the growing concerns about energy efficiency and the environment. The UK Government has introduced a significant amount of environmental legislation in recent years placing a greater emphasis on carbon emissions and fuel efficiency. However, the number of homes with hot water storage has declined significantly in recent years, with an increasing reliance on combination boilers for hot water provision. The vast majority of new homes now have a mains pressurised system installed as standard. Sales of vented cylinders have declined significantly as a result of this shift towards mains pressurised systems. With the trend towards off-site solutions, there is a growing number of pre-plumbed unvented systems, particularly in the new build sector.
The market for instantaneous water heaters has seen some moderate growth more recently, particularly in the commercial sector. However, demand for multi-point instantaneous water heaters have been negatively impacted by the development of the market for combination boilers. This sector is dominated by replacement demand, which is a large, but declining market. The market for boiling water heaters for hot drinks has seen good growth over the last 5 years, particularly in commercial applications such as offices, staff canteens and factories. In addition, there is an increasingly significant market for boiling water taps in the UK.
Although the market situation in early 2017 is more subdued, the current forecast for the UK water heating market remains moderately positive, with more steady growth from 2018 onwards. Following the UK Brexit vote in mid-2016, the outlook for this market is very much dependent on the path taken to exit the EU and the impact this has on the construction sector and consumer confidence. It is forecast that the UK water heating market will increase by around 10% between 2017 and 2021.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. HOUSING AND ECONOMIC INFLUENCES 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK OVERALL MARKET FOR WATER HEATING 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.3 SECTOR MIX 20
- 4.4 MARKET INFLUENCES 21
- 4.4.1 Non-domestic Construction 21
- 4.4.2 House Building Starts and Completions 22
- 4.4.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 24
- 4.4.4 House Moving Levels 26
- 4.4.5 Self Build 26
- 4.4.6 Park Homes and Leisure Homes 27
- 5. HOT WATER STORAGE SYSTEMS 28
- 5.1 DEFINITION 28
- 5.1.1 Open Vented System 28
- 5.1.2 Mains Pressurised System 28
- 5.1.3 Commercial and Industrial Systems 29
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 29
- 5.2.1 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 29
- 5.3 KEY MARKET TRENDS AND INFLUENCES 32
- 5.3.1 Domestic Ownership 32
- 5.3.2 Source of Fuel (Mains Gas, Oil, LPG, Electricity) 33
- 5.3.3 Environmental Legislation and Energy Initiatives 35
- 5.3.4 Renewable Energy Technologies 36
- 5.3.5 The Internet of Things 37
- 5.4 PRODUCT TRENDS 38
- 5.4.1 Product Mix 38
- 5.4.2 Unvented and Vented Systems (capacity >15 litres) 38
- 5.4.3 Unvented and Vented Systems (capacity <15 litres) 42
- 5.5 SUPPLIERS 43
- 5.5.1 Market Shares 43
- 5.5.2 Key Suppliers 44
- 5.5.3 Other Suppliers 45
- 5.6 DISTRIBUTION 48
- 5.6.1 Channel Shares (Merchants, Wholesalers, Multiples, Internet) 48
- 5.6.2 Key Companies 48
- 5.7 INSTALLATION AND SPECIFICATION 51
- 5.7.1 New Build 51
- 5.7.2 Refurbishment 52
- 6. INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATERS 53
- 6.1 DEFINITION 53
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 53
- 6.2.1 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 53
- 6.2.2 Market Prospects 54
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 55
- 6.3.1 Advantages and Disadvantages 55
- 6.3.2 Multi-Point Instantaneous 55
- 6.3.3 Single-Point Instantaneous 56
- 6.4 SUPPLIERS 58
- 6.4.1 Market Shares 58
- 6.4.2 Key Suppliers 58
- 6.4.3 Other Suppliers 59
- 6.5 DISTRIBUTION 60
- 7. BOILING WATER HEATERS AND TAPS 61
- 7.1 DEFINITION 61
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 61
- 7.2.1 Market Size by Value 2012 - 2021 61
- 7.2.2 Market Prospects 62
- 7.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 63
- 7.3.1 Product Mix 63
- 7.3.2 Boiling Water Heaters 63
- 7.3.3 Boiling Water Taps 64
- 7.4 SUPPLIERS 65
- 7.4.1 Market Shares 65
- 7.4.2 Key Suppliers 66
- 7.4.3 Other Suppliers 67
- 7.5 DISTRIBUTION 68
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK WATER HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012 - 2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6: UK WATER HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021 19
- CHART 7: UK WATER HEATING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (STORAGE, INSTANTANEOUS, BOILING) BY VALUE 2016 AND FORECAST 2021 20
- CHART 8: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI BY VALUE 2012 - 2021 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) GB 21
- CHART 9: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 22
- TABLE 10: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 23
- CHART 11: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2009-2021 25
- TABLE 12: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2012-2021 26
- TABLE 13: UK HOT WATER STORAGE MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 30
- CHART 14: UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH HOT WATER STORAGE % PENETRATION BY VOLUME (1997, 2005 AND 2016) 32
- CHART 15: HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF HOT WATER STORAGE SYSTEM BY TYPE 1997-2016 (000'S) 33
- CHART 16: MARKET MIX BY SOURCE OF FUEL USED (GAS, OIL, OTHER) - BY VOLUME 2016 34
- CHART 17: HOT WATER STORAGE MARKET PRODUCT MIX (VENTED, UNVENTED >15L, UNVENTED < 15L) BY VOLUME 2016 38
- CHART 18: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (VENTED, UNVENTED) BY VOLUME 2000 AND 2016 39
- CHART 19: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (DIRECT AND INDIRECT, VENTED AND UNVENTED) BY VOLUME 2016 40
- CHART 20: PRE-PLUMBED UNVENTED CYLINDERS BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION (NEW BUILD, EXISTING HOMES) BY VOLUME 2016 42
- TABLE 21: HOT WATER STORAGE SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 43
- CHART 22: HOT WATER STORAGE DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (MERCHANTS, ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS, INTERNET, OTHER) BY VALUE 2016 48
- TABLE 23: UK INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATER MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 53
- TABLE 24: ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATERS 55
- TABLE 25: INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 58
- TABLE 26: UK BOILING WATER HEATERS & TAPS MARKET (£M MSP) 2012-2021 61
- CHART 27: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (BOILING WATER HEATERS, BOILING WATER TAPS) BY VALUE 2016 63
- TABLE 28: BOILING WATER HEATERS & TAPS SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 66
The 'Water Heating Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.