Water Heating Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 11/02/2019 / Number of Pages: 67 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Water Heating Market Report - UK 2019-2023' reviews the development of the market for water heating products in the UK, driven by the growth of mains pressurised water heating systems. This report provides a broad overall assessment of the domestic and non-domestic market, key product sectors, distribution channels and their relative strengths in across the product sectors.
Key areas covered:
- Hot water storage systems - unvented cylinders, vented cylinders, thermal stores, gas-fired water heaters, renewable cylinders, small (<15 litre) cylinders.
- Instantaneous water heaters - multi-point, single point.
- Boiling water - taps, heater units.
Key areas of insight include:
- Impact of increasing legislation - ErP 2018 (reduced NoX emissions for gas, LPG and oil-fired water heaters), Part L 2018 (rental properties and buildings), new simplified energy efficiency regs.
- Influence of developments such as boiling water taps used for hot drinks and food preparation, both in domestic properties and in commercial premises.
- Development of mains pressurised systems, with increasing demand for high flow rates, performance showering, multi-bathroom properties etc.
- Impact of renewable technologies on domestic and non-domestic water heating systems.
- Increasing use of smart heating controls for remote management of both the heating and hot water.
- Widespread roll-out of smart metering, with increased focus on energy efficient water heating products.
Some of the companies included:
Andrews Water Heaters, Ariston Thermo Group, Baxi Heating UK, BHL,Billi, Brita Vivreau, City Electrical Factors, City Plumbing Supplies, Edmundson Electrical, Elson, Gledhill Building Products, Grafton Group, Graham, Heat and Plumb, Heatrae Sadia, Hyco Manufacturing, Plumbase, Plumbnation, PTS Plumbing Trade Supplies, Quooker UK, Redring, Rexel Group, Rinnai, RM Cylinders, Saint-Gobain Group, Santon, Screwfix, Stiebel Eltron, Telford Copper and Stainless Cylinders, Toolstation, Travis Perkins, Wolseley UK, Zip Heaters UK, etc.
Hot Water Storage Systems
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts to 2023. Key market influences including legislative changes - Part L. ErP, Government grants and incentives etc, housebuilding and RMI expenditure. Domestic ownership levels for 2018 and historical developments. Source of fuel. Product mix etc.
- Cylinders >15 litre capacity - product mix by type, vented and unvented, direct and indirect. Market size, product trends, key end use sectors.
- Renewable cylinders - solar and heat pump compatible cylinders, twin and triple coil. Market trends, prospects, end use sectors.
- Thermal storage systems - benefits, characteristics, applications etc.
- Pre-plumbed cylinders - market and products trends, benefits, key sectors, e.g. new house build, existing properties.
- Small cylinders <15 litre capacity - vented and unvented, market and products trends, market size, suppliers.
- Major manufacturers - market shares, factors influencing market position, characteristics, turnover, product range.
- Review of distribution - key channels and developments, market share and an overview of the main distributors in each channels.
- Installation and specification - process in new build, refurbishment etc.
Instantaneous Water Heaters
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts to 2023. Legislative changes - Part L, ErP etc. Government initiatives - smart meters etc. Imports and exports.
- Multi-point heaters - gas-fired, electric. Key product and market trends, condensing technology, applications, market prospects.
- Single-point heaters - gas-fired, electric. In-line, hand wash units. Product trends, developments etc.
- Leading manufacturers - market shares, characteristics, products and turnover.
- Review of distribution - key channels, distributor profiles and developments.
Boiling, Water Heaters & Taps
- Overall market size, trends and forecasts to 2023. Key market influences and drivers.
- Product mix - boiling water heaters, boiling water taps. Market trends, key influences, benefits, applications, product developments etc.
- Supply and distribution - market shares of leading suppliers and distributors, characteristics, turnover, key distribution channels, new product launches etc.
The market for domestic and non-domestic water heating products has seen moderate growth more recently, with a steady period in the UK economy supporting construction activity, also consumer and business confidence levels.
Positive influences on this market include the growing concerns about energy efficiency and the environment. The UK Government has introduced a significant amount of environmental legislation in recent years placing a greater emphasis on carbon emissions and fuel efficiency.
Although the market situation in early 2019 is relatively subdued, the current forecast for the UK water heating market remains moderately positive, with more steady growth anticipated from 2021 onwards.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 12
- 3.2 KEY DATA 13
- 3.2.1 GDP 13
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 13
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 14
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 15
- 3.2.5 Sterling 16
- 4. UK OVERALL MARKET FOR WATER HEATING 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 17
- 4.3 SECTOR MIX 18
- 4.4 MARKET INFLUENCES 19
- 4.4.1 Non-domestic Construction 19
- 4.4.2 House Building Completions 20
- 4.4.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 21
- 4.4.4 House Moving Levels 22
- 4.4.5 Self Build 23
- 4.4.6 Park Homes and Leisure Homes 24
- 5. HOT WATER STORAGE SYSTEMS 25
- 5.1 DEFINITION 25
- 5.1.1 Open Vented System 25
- 5.1.2 Mains Pressurised System 25
- 5.1.3 Commercial and Industrial Systems 26
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 26
- 5.2.1 Market Size by Value 2014 - 2023 26
- 5.3 KEY MARKET TRENDS AND INFLUENCES 28
- 5.3.1 Domestic Ownership 28
- 5.3.2 Source of Fuel (Mains Gas, Oil, LPG, Electricity) 30
- 5.3.3 Environmental Legislation and Energy Initiatives 32
- 5.3.4 Renewable Energy Technologies 33
- 5.3.5 The Internet of Things 34
- 5.4 PRODUCT TRENDS 35
- 5.4.1 Product Mix 35
- 5.4.2 Unvented and Vented Systems (capacity >15 litres) 3
- 55.4.3 Unvented and Vented Systems (capacity <15 litres) 39
- 5.5 SUPPLIERS 40
- 5.5.1 Market Shares 40
- 5.5.2 Key Suppliers 41
- 5.5.3 Other Suppliers 42
- 5.6 DISTRIBUTION 44
- 5.6.1 Channel Shares (Merchants, Wholesalers, Multiples, Internet) 44
- 5.6.2 Key Companies 45
- 5.7 INSTALLATION AND SPECIFICATION 47
- 5.7.1 New Build 47
- 5.7.2 Refurbishment 48
- 6. INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATERS 49
- 6.1 DEFINITION 49
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 49
- 6.2.1 Market Size by Value 2014 - 2023 49
- 6.2.2 Market Prospects 50
- 6.2.3 Imports and Exports (EU, Non-EU) 51
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 52
- 6.3.1 Product Mix 52
- 6.3.2 Advantages and Disadvantages 52
- 6.3.3 Multi-Point Instantaneous 53
- 6.3.4 Single-Point Instantaneous 54
- 6.4 SUPPLIERS 55
- 6.4.1 Market Shares 55
- 6.4.2 Key Suppliers 55
- 6.4.3 Other Suppliers 56
- 6.5 DISTRIBUTION 57
- 7. BOILING WATER HEATERS AND TAPS 59
- 7.1 DEFINITION 59
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 59
- 7.2.1 Market Size by Value 2014 - 2023 59
- 7.2.2 Market Prospects 60
- 7.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 61
- 7.3.1 Product Mix 61
- 7.3.2 Boiling Water Heaters 61
- 7.3.3 Boiling Water Taps 62
- 7.4 SUPPLIERS 64
- 7.4.1 Market Shares 64
- 7.4.2 Key Suppliers 64
- 7.4.3 Other Suppliers 65
- 7.5 DISTRIBUTION 66
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK WATER HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014 - 2023 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 14
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 15
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 15
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 7: UK WATER HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014-2023 17
- CHART 8: UK WATER HEATING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (STORAGE, INSTANTANEOUS, BOILING) BY VALUE 2018 AND FORECAST 2023 18
- CHART 9: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI BY VALUE 2014 - 2022 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) GB 19
- CHART 10: NON-RESIDENTIAL NEW CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2017 AND H1 2018 - % BY VALUE 19
- TABLE 11: RESIDENTIAL NEW HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB) 2014-2022 (000'S DWELLINGS) 20
- CHART 12: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2018 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 21
- TABLE 13: RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK (000S) 2014-2022 22
- TABLE 14: UK HOT WATER STORAGE MARKET (£M MSP) 2014-2023 26
- CHART 15: UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH HOT WATER STORAGE % PENETRATION BY VOLUME (1997, 2005 AND 2018) 29
- CHART 16: HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF HOT WATER STORAGE SYSTEM BY TYPE 1997-2018 (000'S) 30
- CHART 17: MARKET MIX BY SOURCE OF FUEL USED (GAS, OIL, OTHER) - BY VOLUME 2018 31
- CHART 18: HOT WATER STORAGE MARKET PRODUCT MIX (VENTED, UNVENTED >15L, UNVENTED < 15L) BY VOLUME 2018 35
- CHART 19: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (VENTED, UNVENTED) BY VOLUME 2000 AND 2018 36
- CHART 20: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (DIRECT AND INDIRECT, VENTED AND UNVENTED) BY VOLUME 2018 37
- CHART 21: PRE-PLUMBED UNVENTED CYLINDERS BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION (NEW BUILD, EXISTING HOMES) BY VOLUME 2018 39
- TABLE 22: HOT WATER STORAGE SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2018 40
- CHART 23: HOT WATER STORAGE DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL (MERCHANTS, ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS, ONLINE, OTHER) BY VALUE 2018 44
- TABLE 24: UK INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATER MARKET (£M MSP) 2014-2023 49
- TABLE 25: IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATERS 2017 (£M) 51
- CHART 26: INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATERS MARKET PRODUCT MIX (ELECTRIC, GAS-FIRED) BY VOLUME 2018 52
- TABLE 27: ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATERS 52
- TABLE 28: INSTANTANEOUS WATER HEATER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2018 55
- TABLE 29: UK BOILING WATER HEATERS & TAPS MARKET (£M MSP) 2014-2023 59
- CHART 30: MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (BOILING WATER HEATERS, BOILING WATER TAPS) BY VALUE 2018 61
- TABLE 31: BOILING WATER HEATERS & TAPS SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2018 64
The 'Water Heating Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.