Wetroom Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 14/08/2015 / Number of Pages: 72 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published a brand new report entitled 'Wetroom Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. The report comprises a detailed study of this rapidly growing market. It analyses the current trends by product sector and includes estimates on total UK wetroom installations in terms of volume and value, comment on future prospects and implications for manufacturers and the industry as a whole. Written by marketing professionals with considerable experience of the plumbing products industry, this report provides both manufacturers and suppliers with a detailed and comprehensive review of this increasingly significant market.
Key areas covered:
- Market overview - market size and performance to 2014/15 with forecasts to 2019, products trends, specification and installation process and key end-use sector analysis.
- Supply chain review - supply structure, market shares, leading suppliers and distributors.
- Wetroom flooring - floor formers, level access trays.
- Waterproof tanking kits - membrane systems, liquid tanking systems etc.
- Drainage products - drains/gullies, shower drainage pumps etc.
- Glass wetroom panels - free-standing, wall mounted, frameless etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Key influences on growth of wetroom installations, including the ageing UK population and the growth in multigenerational households.
- Wetrooms are becoming more versatile - there are now products available suitable for most floor types, for installation in any room of the house.
- A wetroom is seen as a luxurious, aspirational alternative to a bath - a number of major housebuilders now install wetrooms in their upmarket properties.
- Wetrooms are easy to install and reliable. Product innovations have resulted in quicker installation times, with minimal chance of leakage, prices have also fallen.
- A wetroom provides easy access and space efficiency in the showering area in other building types eg hotels, leisure facilities, care homes and hospitals.
Some of the companies included:
AKW Medicare, Nicholls & Clarke Group, Munster Simms Engineering (trading as Whale Pumps), Abacus Direct, Able Access UK, ACO Building Drainage, Aqata, Aqualux, Autumn UK, Bette GmbH & Co., Care in bathing, Chiltern Invadex, CCL Wetrooms, Contour Showers, Coram Showers, Dallmer, Disability Needs, Easibathe, Flair Showers, Gainsborough Specialist Bathing, Geberit, Hüppe, Ideal Standard UK, Impey Showers, Just Trays (JT), Kaldewei, Kermi UK, Kingkraft, Kohler Mira, Koralle, Kudos Shower Products, Lakes Bathrooms, Manhattan Showers, Marleton Cross (MX Group), Marmox UK, Matki, McAlpine, Merlyn Industries UK, Nationwide Mobility, Neaco, Novellini, On The Level (Showers), Porcelanosa UK, Practical Bathing, Pump Technology, Purus UK, Regalcare Showertrays, RIW, Roman, Saniflo, Schlüter-Systems UK, Showerlux, Simpsons Shower Enclosures, Ultra Finishing, Unidrain, Wade International, Wetroom Innovations, Wetroom Materials UK, Whale Pumps, Wirquin.
Market Overview & Influences
- Overall market size by value up to 2014/15, rates of change, key trends and factors of influence, forecasts through to 2019.
- Shower market trends. Household penetration of showers; mix of new build, new penetration, replacement and additional showers; new build trends and influences; RMI trends and influences.
- Demographic trends. Ageing population - including growth of population in 65+ age category, financial situation, proportion of elderly people living alone, life expectancy trends, disability-free life expectancy, multigenerational households etc.
- Disabled population - including population and trends, care in the community, Disabled Facilities Grant programme etc.
- Housing Standards - 'Lifetime Homes' standard, new 2015 housing standards including age friendly housing and wheelchair user housing.
- Other influences - underfloor heating market, self-build market; trends, future prospects.
- Interior design - 'open plan' living, minimalism, inclusive design etc.
- Overall product mix - by value and share.
- Installation issues - gradient, drainage, waterproofing, etc.
- Floor formers and level access trays - key design trends, developments, influences etc.
- Waterproof tanking kits - membrane tanking, liquid tanking; trends, developments etc.
- Drainage products - square, linear, wall-mounted drains, shower drainage pumps etc.
- Glass wetroom panels - free-standing, wall-mounted, frame-less, trends and influences etc.
- Mix by type of installation - refurbishment and new build, residential and commercial.
- Private housing - starts and completions, installations in new build homes, refurbishment trends, wetroom household penetration etc.
- Social housing - completions, forecasts, Disabled Facility Grant allocation etc.
- Extra care housing, care homes - trends and forecasts, Care and Support Specialised Housing Fund etc.
- Hotels, health & fitness clubs - budget sector, boutique hotels; installations and trends.
- Overview of non-domestic sector - health, entertainment and leisure; trends and forecasts.
- Market shares of leading wetroom product manufacturers.
- Analysis of leading suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key product areas etc.
- Summary of 50+ other specialist suppliers.
- Distribution structure - direct sales, merchants/distributors, other chains of supply.
- Direct sales - including specialists who supply direct, services offered.
- Merchants/distributors - key players, brands supplied etc.
- Other channels - Bathroom specialists, DIY multiples, specialist online retailers.
Installation & Specification
- Installation - trend towards GSI, part of specialist package.
- Specification - domestic refurbishment, new build; key influencers/decision makers.
Wetrooms are the fastest growing sector of the UK bathroom market. The market is estimated to have grown by around 4% in 2014, and growth is forecast at 6-7% per annum over the next 2 years. In total, it is estimated that around 5% of UK homes now have a wetroom installation. Demand for wetrooms has increased significantly over the past decade and they continue to grow in popularity. While the UK wetroom market was relatively volatile during 2010 and 2012, it has seen a notable increase since 2013, with demand picking up as the economy improves.
The growth in wetrooms in the UK can be partly attributed to product innovations, with a number of components now available that make it possible for wetrooms to be installed on most floor types. Prices have also fallen, making wetrooms a more affordable choice to the mainstream consumer. As an open-plan alternative to the traditional bathroom, they provide a space-saving and design-led solution that is regarded as a luxurious and accessible feature in the home.The floor formers and level access trays sector dominates the wetroom market with around 50% share by value, followed by waterproof tanking kits, glass wetroom panels and drainage products, including shower drainage pumps.
A significant proportion of the wetroom market represents direct sales from the specialist manufacturer or supplier to the end-user or contractor, which is common practice with more specialised products. Other channels include merchants and distributors, bathroom specialists plus DIY multiples, many offering own branded goods. In addition, the level of wetroom products sold via online retailers has seen significant growth in recent years.
The outlook for the UK wetrooms market in 2015 looks positive with good growth anticipated into the medium-longer term. Demand should be supported by the emerging trend towards multi-generational households, the requirements under the 2014 Care Act and growth in the self-build market, among other factors. Wetroom areas are likely to progressively replace baths, as a more practical and accessible alternative. By 2019, the market is forecast to have increased by 34% compared to 2014.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. UK WETROOM MARKET 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 20
- 4.2.1 Market Size 20
- 4.2.2 Market Background 21
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects 22
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 23
- 4.3.1 Shower Market 23
- 4.3.2 Demographic Influences 24
- 4.3.3 Housing Standards 29
- 4.3.4 Underfloor Heating Market 30
- 4.3.5 Self-build Market 31
- 4.3.6 Interior Design 31
- 5. PRODUCTS 33
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 33
- 5.2 INSTALLATION ISSUES 34
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 35
- 5.3.1 Floor Formers and Level Access Trays 35
- 5.3.2 Waterproof Tanking Kits 37
- 5.3.3 Drainage Products 38
- 5.3.4 Glass Wetroom Panels 40
- 6. END USE SECTORS 42
- 6.1 SECTOR OVERVIEW 42
- 6.2 KEY END USE SECTORS 42
- 6.2.1 Private Housing 42
- 6.2.2 Social Housing 45
- 6.2.3 Extra Care Housing 45
- 6.2.4 Care Homes 47
- 6.2.5 Hotels 48
- 6.2.6 Fitness Clubs and Gyms 50
- 6.3 NON DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION 51
- 6.3.1 Overview 51
- 6.3.2 Health Sector 53
- 6.3.3 Entertainment and Leisure 54
- 7. SUPPLIERS 56
- 7.1 MARKET SHARES 56
- 7.2 KEY SUPPLIERS 56
- 7.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 58
- 8. DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY CHAIN 64
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 64
- 8.2 DIRECT SALES 64
- 8.3 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 65
- 8.4 DISTRIBUTORS 66
- 8.5 DIY MULTIPLES 67
- 8.6 BATHROOM RETAILERS 67
- 8.7 ONLINE RETAILERS 68
- 9. INSTALLATION AND SPECIFICATION 70
- 9.1 INSTALLATION 70
- 9.2 SPECIFICATION 70
- 9.2.1 Refurbishment 70
- 9.2.2 New Build 71
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK WETROOM MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6 UK WETROOM MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010 -2019 21
- CHART 7 UK SHOWER CONTROLS MARKET % PENETRATION 1998 - 2014 23
- CHART 8 UK POPULATION IN 65+ AGE CATEGORY - 1985, 2013 AND 2035 25
- CHART 9 LIFE EXPECTANCY AND DISABILITY FREE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH 2010-12 26
- CHART 10 UK MULTI-GENERATIONAL HOUSEHOLDS 2003-2013 BY VOLUME (000S) 28
- CHART 11 UK WETROOM MARKET - % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2014 33
- TABLE 12 UK WETROOM MARKET BY PRODUCT CATEGORY 2014 (£M MSP) 34
- CHART 13 UK WETROOM MARKET VOLUME MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION 2014 42
- TABLE 14 UK PRIVATE HOUSE BUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS 2010-2019 ('000 DWELLINGS) 43
- TABLE 15 EXTRA CARE HOUSING - DEVELOPMENTS BY REGION 2013 46
- CHART 16 NUMBER OF CARE HOME RESIDENTS 2002 - 2012 ('000) 48
- CHART 17 HEALTH & FITNESS MARKET - NEW CLUB OPENINGS 2008 - 2013 50
- TABLE 18 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FIGURES 2010-2019 (£BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 51
- CHART 19 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY APPLICATION SECTOR 2010-2019 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 52
- CHART 20 HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2010-2019 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 54
- CHART 21 ENTERTAINMENT AND LEISURE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2010-2019 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 55
- TABLE 22 WETROOM SUPPLIERS - % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2014 56
- CHART 23 UK WETROOM MARKET - % CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2014 64
The 'Wetroom Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.