Wetroom Market Report – UK 2019-2023
Published: 24/06/2019 / Number of Pages: 70 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Wetroom Market Report - UK 2019-2023' comprises a detailed study of this dynamic market. It analyses the current trends by product sector and includes estimates on wetroom installations in terms of volume and value, comment on market prospects and implications for manufacturers and the industry as a whole.
Key aspects covered in the report include:
- Wetroom flooring - floor formers, level access trays.
- Waterproof tanking kits - membrane systems, liquid tanking systems etc.
- Drainage products - drains/gullies, shower drainage pumps etc.
- Glass wetroom panels - free-standing, wall-mounted, frameless etc.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Analysis of market performance for 2019 and forecasts to 2023. The outlook is for good demand for wetroom products. The report analyses the key drivers and market influences.
- Wetrooms are highly versatile - there are products available which are suitable for most floor types, for installation in any room, they also offer a practical solution where 'easy access' is required.
- Product innovations have resulted in quicker installation times, with minimal chance of leakage. Prices have also fallen, making wetrooms a more affordable choice.
- Many major house builders are installing a wetroom in their mid-higher price properties to 'add value' and increase the level of 'designer' features. Also housing associations are installing wetrooms to enable inclusive use of the shower room.
- Wetroom growth has been good in other building types e.g. hotels, leisure facilities, care homes; key drivers being easy access and flexibility.
- Detailed market data and insight on the wetroom market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:-
Abacus Bathrooms, Able Access UK, Absolute Mobility, ACO Building Drainage, AKW Medicare, Alumasc Water Management Solutions (AWMS), Aqata, Aqualux, Autumn UK, B&Q, Bathroom Engineering, Bathstore, Bette GmbH & Co., Care in bathing, CCL Wetrooms, Chiltern Invadex UK, Contour Showers, Coram Showers, Crossling, Crosswater, Dallmer, Disability Needs, Easibathe, F&P Wholesale, Flair Showers, Frontline Bathrooms, Geberit UK, Graham, Heat and Plumb, Homebase, Hüppe, Ideal Bathrooms, Ideal Standard UK, Impey Showers, Just Trays, Kaldewei, Kingkraft, Kohler Mira, Kudos Shower Products, Lakes Bathrooms, Marleton Cross, Marmox UK, Matki, McAlpine, Merlyn Industries UK, Nationwide Mobility, Neaco, Nicholls & Clarke Group, Novellini, On The Level, Online Home Retail, Plumbnation, Porcelanosa UK, Practical Bathing, Pump Technology, Purus UK, Regalcare Showertrays, Ripples, RIW, Robert Lee Distribution, Robert Price, Roman, Saniflo, Schlüter-Systems UK, Screwfix, Soak.com, The Grafton Group, The PJH Group, The Saint-Gobain Group, Travis Perkins, Ultra Finishing, Unidrain, Victorian Plumbing, VictoriaPlum.com, Wade International, Wedi Systems, Wetroom Innovations, Wetroom Materials UK, Wetrooms Online, Whale, Wickes, Wirquin, Wolseley UK, and more.
- Overall market size by value, rates of change, key trends and factors of influence, estimates of market size in 2019, forecasts through to 2023.
- Shower market trends - household penetration of showers; mix of new build, new penetration, replacement and additional showers; new build trends and influences; RMI trends and influences.
- Demographic trends - ageing population, life expectancy trends, disabled population, multigenerational households etc.
- Other influences - including care in the community, increase in the Disabled Facilities Grant programme provision, revisions to Part M, simplified housing standards including age friendly housing and wheelchair user housing.
- Design and installation - 'open plan' living, minimalism, inclusive design, concept of a 'water space', complementary fixtures and fittings, gradient, drainage, waterproofing, etc.
- Housebuilding - private starts and completions, installations in new build homes and flats, refurbishment trends, wetroom household penetration etc. Social housing - completions, forecasts, Disabled Facility Grant provision etc.
- Overview of non-domestic sector - health, entertainment and leisure, education; trends and forecasts. Others include hotels, health & fitness clubs - budget sector, boutique hotels, aparthotels; installations and trends.
- Forecast of market development - short- and medium-term prospects up to 2023, performance of UK economy, impact of Brexit on housebuilding, non-domestic construction, consumer confidence & spending, lifestyle and design trends.
- Overall product mix - floor formers, trays, tanking kits, drainage products etc. by value and share.
- Floor formers and level access trays - key design trends, developments, influences etc.
- Waterproof tanking kits - membrane tanking, liquid tanking; trends, developments etc.
- Drainage products - square, linear, wall-mounted drains, shower drainage pumps, Bluetooth pumps etc.
- Glass wetroom panels - free-standing, wall-mounted, frame-less, trends and influences etc.
- Mix by type of installation - refurbishment and new build, residential and commercial.
Supply & Distribution
- Market shares of leading wetroom product manufacturers. Summary of 50+ other specialist suppliers.
- Review and analysis of leading suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key product areas etc.
- Distribution structure - direct sales, merchants/distributors, other chains of supply.
- Analysis of key channels and suppliers including: Direct sales - key specialists, services offered; merchants/distributors - key players, brands supplied etc.; other channels - Bathroom specialists, home improvement multiples, specialist online retailers.
The market for wetrooms has increased at a steady pace over the last 5 years and continues to grow in popularity. As an open-plan alternative to the traditional bathroom, it provides a design-led solution that is regarded as a luxurious and accessible feature in the home.
A wetroom also represents an innovative method of designing easy access and space efficient showering area in commercial buildings including hotels, the leisure industry, care homes, hospitals, schools & colleges and in non-conventional applications such as industrial and agricultural facilities where employees are required to 'shower down' after work.
More recent design developments have meant that there are now wetroom products available that can be used on most floor types, including concrete floors or timber joists. Prices have also fallen, and products are more widely available, making wetrooms a more affordable choice to the mainstream consumer.
In particular, with the ageing UK population and the increasing number of people with disabilities, an inclusively designed bathroom area such as a wetroom has been promoted to replace baths in UK homes. The most popular bathroom adaptations paid for by a Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) include a shower area to replace a bath or a graduated floor shower (or wetroom area).
The outlook for the UK wetroom market in 2019 is proving to be more challenging - market development will be influenced by the economic environment and the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. However, underlying demand remains positive, with overall market development expected to improve across the review period, following a more subdued market in the short term.
List of Report Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 12
- 3.2 KEY DATA 12
- 3.2.1 GDP 12
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 13
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 14
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 15
- 3.2.5 Sterling 16
- 4. UK WETROOM MARKET 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 17
- 4.2.1 Market Size 17
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 18
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 19
- 4.3.1 Shower Market 19
- 4.3.2 Demographic Influences 22
- 4.3.3 Housing Standards 26
- 4.3.4 Underfloor Heating Market 26
- 4.3.5 Self-build Market 27
- 4.3.6 New Building Methods 28
- 4.3.7 Interior Design 29
- 5. PRODUCTS 30
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 30
- 5.2 INSTALLATION ISSUES 31
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 32
- 5.3.1 Floor Formers and Level Access Trays 32
- 5.3.2 Waterproof Tanking Kits 35
- 5.3.3 Drainage Products 36
- 5.3.4 Glass Wetroom Panels 39
- 6. END USE SECTORS 41
- 6.1 SECTOR OVERVIEW 41
- 6.2 KEY END USE SECTORS 41
- 6.2.1 Private Housing 41
- 6.2.2 Social Housing 45
- 6.2.3 Specialised Housing 46
- 6.2.4 Care Homes 46
- 6.2.5 Hotels and Guest Houses 47
- 6.2.6 Fitness Clubs and Gyms 50
- 6.2.7 Schools and Colleges 51
- 6.3 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION 52
- 6.3.1 Overview 52
- 6.3.2 Healthcare Construction 53
- 6.3.3 Entertainment & Leisure Construction 55
- 6.3.4 Education Construction 56
- 7. SUPPLIERS 58
- 7.1 MARKET SHARES 58
- 7.2 KEY SUPPLIERS 58
- 7.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 59
- 8. DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY CHAIN 64
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 64
- 8.2 DIRECT SALES 64
- 8.3 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 65
- 8.4 DISTRIBUTORS 66
- 8.5 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 66
- 8.6 BATHROOM RETAILERS 67
- 8.7 ONLINE RETAILERS 67
- 9. INSTALLATION AND SPECIFICATION 69
- 9.1 INSTALLATION 69
- 9.2 SPECIFICATION 69
- 9.2.1 Refurbishment 69
- 9.2.2 New Build 70
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK WETROOM MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014 - 2023 9
- CHART 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2020 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: CPI INFLATION AND BANK OF ENGLAND BASE RATE 2008-2023 14
- CHART 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2020 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 15
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 15
- CHART 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 7: UK WETROOM MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014 -2023 17
- CHART 8: UK SHOWERS CONTROLS MARKET % HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION 2000 -2020 20
- CHART 9: UK SHOWER MARKET - % MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION 2018 21
- CHART 10: PERCENTAGE OF UK POPULATION IN 65+ AGE CATEGORY - 1997, 2017, 2027 AND 2039 23
- CHART 11: UK MULTI-GENERATIONAL HOUSEHOLDS 2008-2018 BY VOLUME (000S) 25
- TABLE 12: UK ELECTRIC UFH MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2017-2021 26
- CHART 13: UK WETROOM MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2018 30
- TABLE 14: UK WETROOM MARKET BY PRODUCT CATEGORY 2018 (£M MSP) 31
- CHART 15: UK WETROOM MARKET % PRODUCT MIX (FLOOR FORMERS, LEVEL ACCESS TRAYS) BY VOLUME 2018 32
- CHART 16: UK WETROOM MARKET % PRODUCT MIX (DRAINS/GULLIES, SHOWER DRAINAGE PUMPS) BY VALUE 2018 37
- CHART 17: UK WETROOM MARKET % MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION (NEW BUILD, DOMESTIC REFURBISHMENT, COMMERCIAL) BY VOLUME 2018 41
- TABLE 18: PRIVATE HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 42
- CHART 19: ENGLAND PRIVATE SECTOR HOUSES - TOTAL NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS BY DWELLING SIZES (NUMBERS OF BEDROOMS) 2011 - 2018 43
- CHART 20: UK ENGLAND PRIVATE SECTOR FLATS - TOTAL NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS BY DWELLING SIZES (NUMBERS OF BEDROOMS) 2011 - 2018 44
- TABLE 21: PUBLIC HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 45
- CHART 22: NUMBER OF CARE HOME RESIDENTS 2007 - 2018 ('000) 47
- CHART 23: GROWTH OF THE UK BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR BY NUMBER OF ROOMS 2005 - 2018 48
- CHART 24: UK HEALTH AND FITNESS MARKET NEW CLUB OPENINGS 2011 - 2018 50
- CHART 25: NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR 2014-2023 51
- CHART 26: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI BY VALUE 2014 - 2023 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) GB 52
- CHART 27: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2018 AND 2023 - % BY VALUE GB 53
- CHART 28: VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2014-2023 54
- CHART 29: VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN THE ENTERTAINMENT & LEISURE SECTOR (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2014-2023 55
- CHART 30: VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2014-2023 57
- TABLE 31: WETROOM SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2018 58
- CHART 32: UK WETROOM MARKET % CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2018 64
The 'Wetroom Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .