Domestic Window Coverings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 06/05/2016 / Number of Pages: 73 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 12th edition of the 'Domestic Window Coverings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates both original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and informed review of this evolving market. The report reviews recent developments, as well as providing forecasts to 2020. The key product sectors reviewed in this report are; curtains, blinds, curtain suspension systems and - new to this edition - shutters.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - performance in 2010-15, key influencing factors and future prospects to 2020.
- Curtains - readymade, custom made/made-to-measure, curtain fabric and lightweight curtains.
- Blinds - roller, venetian, roman, pleated, vertical, soft etc.
- Shutters - internal plantation style shutters.
- Curtain suspension systems - poles and tracks etc.
- Supply and distribution - leading suppliers, distribution structure and key channels.
Key areas of insight include:
- Incorporates new review of the growing shutters sector.
- Analysis by sector - curtains, blinds, shutters, lightweight curtains and suspension systems.
- Factors affecting market growth - recovery of housing market, competition between some window coverings products, trend for higher spending on some products - particularly "measured, made and fitted" services.
- Changes to retail distribution - growth of online sales, etc.
- Market prospects for 2016-17 and longer term trends up to 2020.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic window coverings market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
AMO Blinds, Apollo Window Blinds, Appeal Home Shading, Arding Marketing, Arena Blinds, Ashley Wilde Group, Bill Beaumont Textiles, Chiltern Mills, Cleland McIver, Colefax Group, Crowson Group, Curtains2go, CurtainsCurtainsCurtains, Decora Blind Systems, Dorma, Dunelm Mills, Eclipse Blinds, Edmund Bell & Company, Ena Shaw, Fabric Warehouse, Filigree Holdings Ltd, Hallis Hudson, Herbert Parkinson, Hillary's Blinds, Hunter Douglas, J Rosenthal & Son, John Aird & Company, Louvolite, Luxaflex, Mandors, Montgomery Furnishings, Morgan Curtain Company, Morton Young & Borland Textile Group, Mostyns Curtains and Fabrics, Osborne & Little, Plumbs, Prestigious Textiles, Price & Company, Rectella, Romo, Rufflette Ltd, Sandersons, Silent Gliss, Speedy Products, Stevens (Scotland), Sunflex, Terry's Fabrics, Texplan Manufacturing, Thomas Sanderson, Tropical Blinds, Tyrone Textiles, Velux, Walker Greenbank.
- Market Size by Value - 2010-15 with forecasts through to 2020.
- Product Mix - analysis of the market by sector in 2015.
- Purchase Motivation Factors - mix by purchase decision 2015 and key influences on purchasing behaviour including house moving, housebuilding and conservatories markets etc. Market size and trends for doors/windows, conservatories etc
- International Trade -import penetration into UK market 2010-15, source countries for window coverings imports - changes/trends.
- Future Prospects - key factors influencing future market growth - health of economy, fashion trends, etc - and prospects for individual market sectors. Impact on market of upturn in house building, house-moving, and general improvement in consumer confidence, etc.
- Market Size by Value - 2010-15 at retail prices, and forecasts of sector performance to 2020, key factors influencing market growth, curtain market characteristics and future prospects.
- Mix by Major Product Sectors - overall share mix for ready-made, custom-made, curtain fabric and lightweight curtains (changes over last decade), factors influencing performance of individual sectors, prospects for future developments.
- Influence of Fashion and Styles - styles, fabrics, linings, trends in curtain styles and influence on purchasing decisions.
- Key Suppliers - key suppliers to the market, market shares for leading suppliers of ready-made curtains and curtain fabric, changes to supply structure.
- Market Size by Value - from 2010 -15, with forecasts to 2020, market characteristics, innovations and design trends, key factors influencing market growth, future prospects.
- Analysis by End-Use Application - % mix by value 2015 for windows, doors and conservatories, changes to mix since 2007.
- Mix by Blind Type and Style - share mix for custom and ready-made blinds, mix by type - vertical, venetian, roller, soft and pleated - 2015, key trends and developments for major blind styles.
- Controls and Automation - review of trends in controls sector, identification of leading suppliers of control and automation systems.
- Key Suppliers - supply structure, review of leading suppliers to UK blinds market.
- Market Background, Characteristics and Size - by value at retail prices from 2010-15, with forecasts to 2020, key factors influencing current and future market development and recent trends.
- Product Mix - share analysis by material mix (MDF, solid wood, faux wood).
- Key Suppliers - market share estimates and review of leading suppliers/distributors of shutters.
Curtain Suspension Systems
- Market Size - analysis by value 2010 -15 with forecasts of market performance to 2020, key factors influencing future market development.
- Product Mix - share mix between metal, wood poles, tracks. Changes to mix of key product sectors in terms of volume, characteristics and style trends, examination of key product sectors.
- Key suppliers -review of leading suppliers to curtain suspension sector, estimated market share 2015.
- Analysis by channel - identification of key distribution channels for domestic window coverings, channel share, recent changes to share, leading companies within each major channel, growth of Internet.
The UK's domestic window coverings market comprises four major product sectors: curtains (inclusive of lightweight curtains), blinds, shutters and curtain suspension systems. The market has remained positive throughout 2015 with estimated 4% growth on the previous year. The good growth in 2014-15 was the result of a number of factors, including a significant improvement in the housing market and the general strength of the wider economy, with lower fuel and food prices also contributing to higher levels of both consumer confidence and spending. The market also continues to benefit from some pent-up demand, with homeowners spending more on home décor after a long period of constrained spending. There are still a number of challenges however, with higher levels of competition and the growth of the online market and demand for multi/omni-channel services.
The UK market for curtains was estimated to account for around half of the market in value terms, having lost marginal share since 2013 due to the stronger performance of both blinds and shutters. Readymade curtains account for the largest share of the curtain sector, followed by custom made curtains, lightweight curtains and then curtain fabric. The blinds sector has grown significantly between 2012-15 underpinned by growing consumer confidence and move towards more made to measure products. Windows remains the biggest end use sector accounting for blinds in 2015. Conservatories have lost share of the blinds end use sector mix due to recent trends towards orangeries and solid roofs, which have limited the applications for some higher value conservatory applications such as automated roof blinds. Custom made blinds have benefitted from higher levels of spend on home décor, with a higher degree of trading up and demand for innovations and value added products as well as automation.
Interior shutters are a relatively new introduction to the UK domestic window coverings market have enjoyed a significant rise in popularly in the past decade. Market value has increased by more than threefold since 2006 - however this also reflects the low initial base. The market has experienced relatively high annual growth rates over the 2010-15 period, with medium -term forecasts also showing good growth prospects, underpinned by their aesthetic appeal as well as product innovations and wider distribution.
Market conditions are likely to remain challenging for suppliers of window coverings into the medium-term, the result of increased levels of competition, the strength of the online market, and demand for multi and omni-channel services. Given the underlying positive trends in the housing market and housebuilding activity, our forecasts indicate a continuation of annual steady growth of around 3-4% to hold firm into the medium-term. Key to the forecast remains the levels of consumer confidence and spending on window coverings, which have improved throughout 2014-15. Indications are that this will continue into the medium-term and should result with value growth benefitting from move towards higher value products - e.g. automated blinds. In terms of supply structure, there is likely to be a greater move towards more multi-sector providers - e.g. blinds specialists also supplying curtains, etc. - which is likely to provide acquisition opportunities for some of the leading suppliers.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET OVERVIEW 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 TOTAL MARKET SIZE 17
- 4.3 MARKET TRENDS AND CHARACTERISTICS 18
- 4.4 PURCHASE MOTIVATION FACTORS FOR WINDOW COVERINGS 19
- 4.4.1 Replacement Purchases 20
- 4.4.2 Property Transactions 21
- 4.4.3 New Housebuilding 21
- 4.4.4 Conservatories and Other Home Improvements 23
- 4.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 24
- 4.5.1 Major Import Countries 24
- 4.6 MAJOR PRODUCT SECTORS 26
- 5. CURTAINS 28
- 5.1 MARKET SIZE AND CHARACTERISTICS 28
- 5.1.1 Market Size 28
- 5.1.2 Market Characteristics & Trends 29
- 5.2 CURTAIN PRODUCT SECTORS 30
- 5.2.1 Readymade Curtains 31
- 5.2.2 Custom Made Curtains 32
- 5.2.3 Curtain Fabric 34
- 5.2.4 Lightweight Curtains 34
- 5.3 FACTORS INFLUENCING CURTAIN CHOICE 36
- 5.4 KEY SUPPLIERS 36
- 5.4.1 Ready-Made Curtains 37
- 5.4.2 Key Fabric Suppliers 39
- 6. BLINDS 41
- 6.1 MARKET SIZE AND CHARACTERISTICS 41
- 6.1.1 Market Size 41
- 6.1.2 Market Trends & Characteristics 42
- 6.2 APPLICATION AREAS BY END USE 43
- 6.2.1 Windows 45
- 6.2.2 Conservatories 45
- 6.2.3 Doors, Rooflights, Skylights, etc. 46
- 6.3 BLIND TYPES 46
- 6.4 BLIND STYLES 47
- 6.5 CONTROLS AND AUTOMATION 49
- 6.6 SUPPLY STRUCTURE & KEY SUPPLIERS 50
- 7. SHUTTERS 53
- 7.1 DEFINITION 53
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE & BACKGROUND 53
- 7.2.1 Current Situation 55
- 7.2.2 Future Prospects 55
- 7.3 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS AND TRENDS 55
- 7.4 PRODUCT MIX 56
- 7.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE AND KEY SUPPLIERS 57
- 8. SUSPENSION SYSTEMS 59
- 8.1 MARKET SIZE 59
- 8.2 PRODUCT MIX 60
- 8.2.1 Metal Poles 61
- 8.2.2 Wooden Poles 61
- 8.2.3 Curtain Tracks/Rails 61
- 8.2.4 Others 61
- 8.3 KEY SUPPLIERS 61
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 64
- 9.1 DEFINITION 64
- 9.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES 64
- 9.3 INDEPENDENTS & SPECIALISTS 65
- 9.4 DEPARTMENT STORES, VARIETY STORES AND GROCERY MULTIPLES 68
- 9.4.1 Department Stores 68
- 9.4.2 Variety Stores and Grocery Multiples 68
- 9.5 THE INTERNET, MAIL ORDER & CATALOGUE STORES 69
- 9.5.1 Internet Services 69
- 9.5.2 Mail Order and Catalogue Stores 70
- 9.6 DIY MULTIPLES 71
- 9.7 FURNITURE & FURNISHING MULTIPLES 72
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000 TO 2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 14
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC WINDOW COVERINGS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 18
- CHART 7 PURCHASE MOTIVATION FACTORS FOR WINDOW COVERINGS 2015 - % BY VALUE (NEW HOUSING, REPLACEMENT, HOUSE MOVING, CONSERVATORIES) 20
- TABLE 8 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 201 TO 2015 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 21
- TABLE 9 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2010 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 22
- TABLE 10 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CURTAINS, INTERIOR BLINDS & CURTAIN/BED VALANCES 2010 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M) 24
- CHART 11 SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR WINDOW COVERINGS IMPORTS 2015 - % BY VALUE 25
- TABLE 12 UK WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET KEY IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES 2009, 2011 AND 2015 - BY VALUE (£M) 25
- TABLE 13 IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR WINDOW COVERINGS ASIA & OCEANIA AND THE EUROPEAN UNION 2007 TO 2015 - % SHARE BY VALUE 26
- TABLE 14 UK WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX (CURTAINS, BLINDS, SHUTTERS, CURTAIN SUSPENSION PRODUCTS) 2015 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) AND SHARE (%) 26
- CHART 15 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CURTAINS 2010 - 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 28
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR CURTAINS MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE 2015 (CUSTOM MADE, READYMADE, FABRIC) - % BY VALUE 30
- TABLE 17 UK MARKET FOR CURTAINS MIX BY CURTAIN TYPE 2005, 2010 & 2015 - % BY VALUE 31
- CHART 18 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR READYMADE CURTAINS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 32
- CHART 19 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CUSTOM-MADE CURTAINS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 33
- TABLE 20 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CURTAIN FABRIC 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 34
- CHART 21 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR LIGHTWEIGHT CURTAINS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 35
- TABLE 22 MAJOR SUPPLIERS TO THE UK MARKET FOR READYMADE CURTAINS 2015 37
- TABLE 23 MAJOR SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CURTAIN FABRIC MARKET 2015 39
- TABLE 24 UK DOMESTIC BLINDS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 41
- CHART 25 UK BLINDS MARKET BY END USE SECTOR (WINDOWS, CONSERVATORIES AND DOORS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 43
- CHART 26 UK BLINDS MARKET MIX BY END USE APPLICATION (WINDOWS, CONSERVATORIES, DOOR/ROOFLIGHTS/SKYLIGHTS) 2007 TO 2015 - % BY VALUE 44
- CHART 27 UK MARKET FOR BLINDS PRODUCT MIX (CUSTOM-MADE AND READYMADE BLINDS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 46
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC BLINDS - PRODUCT MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE (VERTICAL, VENETIAN, ROLLER, SOFT, PLEATED) 49
- TABLE 29 UK DOMESTIC SHUTTERS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 54
- CHART 30 UK SHUTTERS MARKET BY MATERIAL MIX (WOOD, MDF, FAUX WOOD/VINYL) IN 2015 - % BY VALUE 56
- TABLE 31 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK MARKET FOR SHUTTERS 2015 57
- TABLE 32 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CURTAIN SUSPENSION SYSTEMS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 59
- CHART 33 PRODUCT MIX FOR UK CURTAIN SUSPENSION MARKET (METAL POLES, WOODEN POLES, CURTAIN TRACK/RAIL) 2015 - % BY VOLUME 60
- TABLE 34 MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CURTAIN SUSPENSION MARKET 2015 % BY VALUE 62
- TABLE 35 UK DOMESTIC WINDOW COVERINGS DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL MIX (MAIL ORDER, INTERNET, SPECIALISTS, INDEPENDENTS, VARIETY STORES, DIY MULTIPLES, DEPARTMENT STORES, FURNITURE MULTIPLES, ETC) 2015 - % BY VALUE 65
- TABLE 36 UK TEXTILE RETAILERS BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2011, 2013 AND 2015 % OF ORGANISATIONS 66
The 'Domestic Window Coverings Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.