Domestic Window Coverings Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 12/07/2018 / Number of Pages: 87 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 13th edition of the 'Domestic Window Coverings Market Report - UK 2018-2022' has been published by AMA Research. The report reviews developments within the industry, with emphasis on market assessment. Recent trends, key influencing factors and forecasts of future developments are assessed for all sectors of the market and key suppliers highlighted.
Key content covered in the report:
- Market overview - performance in 2013-18, key influencing factors and future prospects to 2022.
- Curtains - readymade, custom made/ made-to-measure curtain fabric and lightweight curtains.
- Blinds - Roller, Venetian, Roman, Pleated, Vertical, Soft etc.
- Shutters - internal plantation style shutters.
- Curtain Suspension Systems - poles & tracks, etc.
Areas of particular interest:
- Review of market performance 2013-2017 - influences including housebuilding, house moving, domestic conservatories, fashion trends, consumer spending, measuring and installation services, etc.
- Forecasts for performance of the UK Domestic Window Coverings Market 2018-2022.
- Product sector review - analysis of window coverings market by product group (as above).
- Review of market structure and suppliers of window coverings.
- Changes to retail distribution - growth of online sales and influence of custom measuring, making and fitting services.
Some of the companies included:
Amo, Apollo blinds, Arding Marketing, Arena Blinds, Benthin, Blinds2go, Bloc Blinds, Colefax Group, Decora Blind Systems, Décor Quip, Eclipse Blinds, Faber blinds UK, Global International Trading, Herbert Parkinson, Hillarys Blinds, Hopkins Blind & Shutter Fittings, Hunter Douglas (UK), llumin8 Blinds & Curtains, James Robertshaw, Jones & Co, Louvolite, Luxaflex UK, Nantmor Blinds, Osborne & Little, Plantation Shutters, Rainbow Blinds, Rol-Lite blinds, Romo, Texplan, Stevens (Scotland), TCMM Shutter Group, Thomas Sanderson, Tropical Blinds, The Appeal Group, Torbay Blinds, Shade Plus, Shuttercraft (S-Craft), Shy UK, Velux Company, Walker Greenbank and more ...
- Market size by value - 2013-18 with forecasts through to 2022.
- Product mix - analysis of the market by sector in 2017-18.
- Purchase motivation factors - mix by purchase decision 2017-18 and key influences on purchasing behaviour including house moving, housebuilding and conservatories markets etc. Market size and trends for doors/windows, conservatories etc
- International trade -import penetration into UK market 2013-17, source countries for window coverings imports - changes/trends.
- Future prospects - key factors influencing future market growth - health of economy, fashion trends, etc - and prospects for individual market sectors. Impact on market of upturn in house building, house-moving, and general improvement in consumer confidence, etc.
- Curtains - market size and forecast 2013-2022 with analysis of product mix (ready-made, made-to-measure, lightweight curtains and curtain fabric. Factors influencing future value growth. Key suppliers to each sub-sector.
- Blinds - key sectors and end-use applications, factors influencing growth, mix by blind type and style, controls and automation, future prospects and key suppliers.
- Shutters - market background, characteristics and size, key factors influencing growth, market prospects to 2022, key manufacturers and suppliers to the UK market.
- Curtain Suspension Systems - analysis by value 2017-18 and forecast of medium-term outlook to 2022, product mix (wooden & metal poles, tracks, etc.), fashion and style trends, key suppliers to the UK market.
- Analysis by channel - identification of key distribution channels for domestic window coverings.
- Channel share analysis - recent changes to share, growing influence of online ordering.
- Leading organisations within each channel - Independents, Specialists, Department Stores, Furnishing Multiples, Discount & Variety Stores, Online Specialists, etc.
The UK's domestic window coverings market comprises four major product sectors which are curtains (including lightweight curtains such as voiles), blinds, shutters and curtain suspension systems. The market shows positive performance through to 2017, with estimated growth of 4% on the previous year. Market growth has been relatively consistent since 2012, driven by a number of factors, though it remains competitive. Better performance in the housing sector and wider economy has fuelled demand for both replacement and new window coverings, as consumer confidence has remained relatively buoyant.
Whilst the window coverings market can be considered mature, the sector is highly innovative, with frequent product introductions. These include new materials, contemporary designs and the uptake of motorised options; the latter are becoming more affordable and mainstream. The shutter sector is also continuing to grow faster than other areas of the market with impressive annual growth rates.
A key trend within the window coverings market is greater demand for more customisation. This includes colour, alternative sizes and even combining window coverings at the same window to produce a more layered effect. The made-to-measure sector continues to grow both in-store and through e-commerce sites, as consumers seek a personalised look. Consumers are also demanding added convenience in the home, with greater uptake of automation to control window coverings at different times of the day, even adapting to light conditions.
Future growth will be driven by a number of factors including the good prospects for the shutters sector, and for made-to-measure curtains and customised blinds, as well as a stronger housing market. There is increasing demand for more premium and motorised products, and the market value is also influenced by fluctuating exchange rates on imported goods. Whilst a blended approach of both online and offline distribution channels is likely to be offered by larger players in the marketplace, price competition will continue to abound online in the lower to mid end of the marketplace. The evolution of 24/7 ordering facilities will also continue to place increasing pressure on physical store offers, with faster lead times and more competitive prices.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET OVERVIEW 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 TOTAL MARKET SIZE 17
- 4.3 MARKET TRENDS AND CHARACTERISTICS 18
- 4.4 PURCHASE MOTIVATION FACTORS FOR WINDOW COVERINGS 20
- 4.4.1 Replacement Purchases 22
- 4.4.2 Property Transactions 22
- 4.4.3 New Housebuilding 23
- 4.4.4 Conservatories and Other Home Improvements 24
- 4.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 26
- 4.5.1 Major Import Countries 27
- 4.6 MAJOR PRODUCT SECTORS 29
- 5. CURTAINS 31
- 5.1 MARKET SIZE AND CHARACTERISTICS 31
- 5.1.1 Market Size 31
- 5.1.2 Market Characteristics & Trends 32
- 5.2 CURTAIN PRODUCT SECTORS 34
- 5.2.1 Readymade Curtains 35
- 5.2.2 Custom Made Curtains 36
- 5.2.3 Curtain Fabric 38
- 5.2.4 Lightweight Curtains 39
- 5.3 FACTORS INFLUENCING CURTAIN CHOICE 40
- 5.4 KEY SUPPLIERS 42
- 5.4.1 Ready-Made Curtains 42
- 5.4.2 Key Fabric Suppliers 44
- 6. BLINDS 48
- 6.1 MARKET SIZE AND CHARACTERISTICS 48
- 6.1.1 Market Size 48
- 6.1.2 Market Trends & Characteristics 49
- 6.2 APPLICATION AREAS BY END USE 50
- 6.2.1 Windows 52
- 6.2.2 Conservatories 52
- 6.2.3 Doors, Rooflights, Skylights, etc. 53
- 6.3 BLIND TYPES 53
- 6.4 BLIND STYLES 55
- 6.5 CONTROLS AND AUTOMATION 58
- 6.6 SUPPLY STRUCTURE & KEY SUPPLIERS 59
- 7. SHUTTERS 62
- 7.1 DEFINITION 62
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE & BACKGROUND 63
- 7.2.1 Current Situation 64
- 7.2.2 Future Prospects 65
- 7.3 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS AND TRENDS 65
- 7.4 PRODUCT MIX 66
- 7.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE AND KEY SUPPLIERS 67
- 8. SUSPENSION SYSTEMS 70
- 8.1 MARKET SIZE 70
- 8.2 PRODUCT MIX 71
- 8.2.1 Metal Poles 72
- 8.2.2 Wooden Poles 73
- 8.2.3 Curtain Tracks/Rails 73
- 8.2.4 Others 73
- 8.3 KEY SUPPLIERS 74
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 76
- 9.1 DEFINITION 76
- 9.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES 77
- 9.3 INDEPENDENTS AND SPECIALISTS 77
- 9.4 DEPARTMENT STORES, VARIETY STORES, DISCOUNT STORES AND GROCERY MULTIPLES 81
- 9.4.1 Department Stores 81
- 9.4.2 Variety Stores, Discount Stores and Grocery Multiples 81
- 9.5 THE INTERNET, MAIL ORDER & CATALOGUE STORES 83
- 9.5.1 Internet Services 83
- 9.5.2 Mail Order and Catalogue Stores 84
- 9.6 DIY MULTIPLES 85
- 9.7 FURNITURE & FURNISHING MULTIPLES 86
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC WINDOW COVERINGS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 18
- CHART 7: PURCHASE MOTIVATION FACTORS FOR WINDOW COVERINGS 2017-18 - % BY VALUE (NEW HOUSING, REPLACEMENT, HOUSE MOVING, CONSERVATORIES) 21
- TABLE 8: NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013-2018 (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 23
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2018 - BY VOLUME (000 DWELLINGS) 23
- TABLE 10: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CURTAINS, INTERIOR BLINDS & CURTAIN/BED VALANCES 2013 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 26
- CHART 11: SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR WINDOW COVERINGS IMPORTS 2017 - % BY VALUE 27
- TABLE 12: UK WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET KEY IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES 2011, 2015 AND 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 28
- TABLE 13: IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR WINDOW COVERINGS ASIA & OCEANIA AND THE EUROPEAN UNION 2007 TO 2017 - % SHARE BY VALUE 29
- TABLE 14: UK WINDOW COVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX (CURTAINS, BLINDS, SHUTTERS, CURTAIN SUSPENSION PRODUCTS) 2017 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) AND SHARE (%) 29
- CHART 15: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CURTAINS 2013 - 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 32
- CHART 16: UK MARKET FOR CURTAINS MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE 2017-18 (CUSTOM MADE, READYMADE, FABRIC, LIGHTWEIGHT CURTAINS) - % BY VALUE 34
- TABLE 17: UK MARKET FOR CURTAINS MIX BY CURTAIN TYPE 2007, 2012 & 2017 - % BY VALUE 35
- CHART 18: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR READYMADE CURTAINS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 36
- CHART 19: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CUSTOM MADE CURTAINS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 37
- TABLE 20: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CURTAIN FABRIC 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 38
- CHART 21: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR LIGHTWEIGHT CURTAINS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 40
- TABLE 22: MAJOR SUPPLIERS TO THE UK MARKET FOR READYMADE CURTAINS 2017 43
- TABLE 23: MAJOR SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CURTAIN FABRIC MARKET 2017 45
- TABLE 24: UK DOMESTIC BLINDS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 48
- CHART 25: UK BLINDS MARKET BY END USE SECTOR (WINDOWS, CONSERVATORIES AND DOORS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 50
- CHART 26: UK BLINDS MARKET MIX BY END USE APPLICATION (WINDOWS, CONSERVATORIES, DOOR/ROOFLIGHTS/SKYLIGHTS) 2007 TO 2017 - % BY VALUE 51
- CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR BLINDS PRODUCT MIX (CUSTOM-MADE AND READYMADE BLINDS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 54
- CHART 28: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC BLINDS PRODUCT MIX (VERTICAL, VENETIAN, ROLLER, SOFT, PLEATED) 2017 - % BY VALUE 57
- TABLE 29: UK DOMESTIC SHUTTERS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 63
- CHART 30: UK SHUTTERS MARKET BY MATERIAL MIX (WOOD, MDF, FAUX WOOD/VINYL) IN 2017 - % BY VALUE 66
- TABLE 31: LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK MARKET FOR SHUTTERS 2017 67
- TABLE 32: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CURTAIN SUSPENSION SYSTEMS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 70
- CHART 33: PRODUCT MIX FOR UK CURTAIN SUSPENSION MARKET (METAL POLES, WOODEN POLES, CURTAIN TRACK/RAIL) 2017 - % BY VOLUME 72
- TABLE 34: MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CURTAIN SUSPENSION MARKET 2017 % BY VALUE 74
- TABLE 35: UK DOMESTIC WINDOW COVERINGS DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 77
- TABLE 36: UK TEXTILE RETAILERS BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2013, 2015 AND 2017 - % OF ORGANISATIONS 78
The 'Domestic Window Coverings Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .