Wood and Laminate Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 04/09/2015 / Number of Pages: 77 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 8th edition of the report 'Wood and Laminate Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. The report provides an informed and up to date assessment of the market, and focuses on the three primary sectors of solid wood, engineered wood and laminates.
Key areas covered:
- Brief overview of the total floorcoverings market - including carpet, vinyl, wood, ceramics and other floorcoverings.
- Detailed assessment of the wood fooring market - UK market size, trends, factors influencing growth, future prospects.
- Product mix - solid and engineered woods, laminates and flooring accessories etc.
- Application mix - domestic and contract market trends, growth sectors, future prospects.
- Key suppliers and distribution review - analysis of key suppliers with a review of market share and changes in the distribution mix.
Key areas of insight include:
- Comparison of market performance between wood and other floorcoverings in 2010-2015 - historic trends over last decade.
- Variable market performance in domestic and contract sectors.
- Switch to higher specification products in middle and upper market sectors - share mix between solid, engineered wood, laminates.
- Changing commitment of some suppliers to laminate sector.
- Trends in total wood flooring market with forecasts by each product sector to 2019.
Some of the companies included:
Arnold Laver, Atkinson & Kirby, Balterio, Bauwerk Boen Group, Beach Bros, Beaulieu International Group (BIG), BHK Flooring, Birch Distribution, British Hardwoods, Carpetright, Carpets & Flooring, CF Anderson Timber Products, Egger UK, Finsa UK, Fired Earth, Flanagan Flooring Distributors, Floors-2-Go Group, Fludes, Hamberger, Harlow Bros, Havwoods, Headlam Group, Hoebeek UK, Hørning, Howarth Timber, IKEA, International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), Jordan Andrews, Junckers, Kährs, Kent Flooring Supplies, Kronospan Ltd, Lathams, Lionvest Trading, Natural Wood Floor Co, Panaget, Pennine Flooring Supplies, Pergo, Plasman, Rovers Flooring, STS Flooring, Tarkett Group, Ted Todd, The Natural Floor Company, Thorogood Timber, Timberpride, Timbmet Group, Topps Tiles, Tradewoods, Tuscanflooring, Unilin, United Carpets Group, Victorian Woodworks, Volunta Parket, Westco.
Overview of Floorcoverings Market
- Overview of UK floorcoverings market - market size from 2000-14 for all products, sales mix for carpets, vinyl, wood, ceramic tiles and others, key factors influencing trends, future prospects, etc.
- Review of changing product mix - growth/declining sectors, shares by product in 2005-15.
Review of Wood Floorcoverings Market
- Comprehensive review of wood floorcoverings market - market size 2009-2019, key trends within sectors, product mix, comparison with other floorcoverings, future prospects to 2019.
- Product sectors - solid wood, engineered wood and laminates - sector shares in 2014, recent changes in mix (comparisons with 2002/06/14, trend towards higher quality, forecasts by product from 2015-19.
- Key characteristics of the market - pricing, availability, product awareness and target consumers, accessories, changing design trends etc.
- Role of international trade - changes in import sources - trends from 2009-2014.
- Domestic and contract end-use sectors for total wood floorcoverings market - share by value, share by DIY/new housing/professional installations, Key end-use sectors (share by Commercial, Retail, Leisure etc.), etc.
- Outlook for the overall industry, prospects for wood in relation to other floorcoverings, short term prospects in 2015- 16, and longer term forecasts up to 2019, key factors influencing market recovery.
Supply and Distribution Structure
- Review of leading suppliers in the wood floorcoverings market, including manufacturers, importers, distributors and wholesalers.
- Analysis of market share of leading suppliers in UK market - company information, market positioning, changes to supply structure, level/source of imports etc.
- Structure of distribution channels for supply of wood flooring - domestic and contract supply.
- Distribution shares for major channels - DIY Multiples, Floorcovering Multiples, independents, Online, Builders Merchants, Dept. / Variety Stores, Catalogue etc - review of major organisations within each channel, changes in distribution in recent years.
Future Prospects & Key Influences
- Key influences on the wood/laminate flooring market, factors affecting volume and value performance. Future prospects for the contract and domestic sectors.
- Review of key external factors influencing market - economic prospects, housing and construction, stock of dwellings, interest rates & inflation, etc.
The UK's wood flooring sector, which includes solid wood, engineered wood and laminates, currently accounts for an estimated 16% of the total £1.8bn flooring market. Market value has followed an upward trend since its low point in 2011, and demand for wood flooring has continued to improve into 2015, though the market is subject to strong competition from other smooth flooring products - particularly luxury vinyl. Over the last year, however, there have been signs that wood and laminate are once again regaining share of the overall floorcoverings market, with manufacturers investing heavily in new innovations and new ranges in order to gain share in an increasingly competitive market.
Laminate, the largest product category, continues to be a strong driver of growth in the overall wood floorcoverings market, and while both engineered and solid wood have become much more affordable, laminates' excellent environmental credentials have made it an increasingly popular choice in the commercial/contract sector. Sales of laminate continued their upward trend in 2014 and on into 2015, benefiting from growth in the housing market and strengthening consumer confidence. The solid and engineered woods sector has been less volatile than laminate. As with laminate flooring, solid and engineered woods returned to growth in 2012 after four years of decline in 2008-11, which saw the value of the market fall by an estimated 14%.
The UK is a net importer of wood flooring, with imports, in value terms, rising quite significantly in 2014 as a result of robust recovery in both domestic and non-domestic construction activity and output. Variable import values year on year however, also reflect factors such as the volatility of global timber prices and currency fluctuations. The rationalisation of production facilities away from the UK to lower cost countries by larger global players is also a critical factor. China remains the dominant supplier of wood flooring imports to the UK, while Poland is the dominant European supplier-country, more than doubling its share of UK imports since 2010.
While domestic DIY installations of wood flooring are still below pre-recession levels there is a degree of pent-up demand in the market, and consumer confidence continues to improve as a result of low inflationary pressures and a strengthening economy. Current forecasts indicate annual growth of around 3-4% pa to 2017, with the annual rate of growth falling slightly in 2018-19. Despite reasonable growth, the market value is forecast to remain some 13% lower than its pre-recession peak in 2007.
List of Report Contents
- Contents List
- 1. INTRODUCTION 8
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 8
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 8
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 2.1 SUMMARY 10
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 12
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. OVERVIEW OF TOTAL FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 20
- 4.1 BACKGROUND AND DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 20
- 4.2.1 Current Situation 21
- 4.2.2 Future Prospects 22
- 4.3 FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 23
- 4.3.1 Overall Floorcoverings Market Performance 24
- 4.4 END USE APPLICATIONS 25
- 5. WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 27
- 5.1 DEFINITION 27
- 5.1.1 Solid Wood 27
- 5.1.2 Engineered Wood 27
- 5.1.3 Laminates 28
- 5.1.4 Accessories 28
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 28
- 5.2.1 Market Trends and Characteristics 30
- 5.2.2 Current Situation 31
- 5.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 32
- 5.3.1 The Housing Market 33
- 5.3.2 Non-Residential Construction 36
- 5.3.3 Household Spending and Disposable Incomes 38
- 5.3.4 Trends in Design and Home Décor 38
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 39
- 5.4.1 Laminates 39
- 5.4.2 Solid and Engineered Woods 42
- 5.4.3 Accessories 44
- 5.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 45
- 5.5.1 Import Sources 46
- 5.5.2 Export Destinations 48
- 5.6 END-USE MIX 49
- 5.6.1 Domestic Sector 50
- 5.6.2 Contract Sector 51
- 6. KEY SUPPLIERS 55
- 6.1 BACKGROUND 55
- 6.2 MARKET SHARE 56
- 6.2.1 Total Wood Floorcoverings Market 56
- 6.2.2 Solid & Engineered Wood Market 58
- 6.3 DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS 60
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 63
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 63
- 7.2 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION MAJOR CHANNELS 67
- 7.2.1 Definition 67
- 7.2.2 Domestic Distribution Channel Shares 67
- 7.3 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 69
- 7.3.1 DIY Multiples 69
- 7.3.2 Floorcoverings Multiples 70
- 7.3.3 Builders Merchants and Trade Counters 71
- 7.3.4 Furniture/Furnishing Multiples 71
- 7.3.5 Floorcovering Independents & Specialists 72
- 7.3.6 Department Stores & Variety Stores 73
- 7.3.7 Mail Order & Catalogue Stores 73
- 7.3.8 Others 74
- 7.4 CONTRACT/COMMERCIAL DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 75
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 11
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 14
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 16
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 17
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 19
- CHART 6 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR FLOORCOVERINGS 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 21
- CHART 7 UK FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VALUE 24
- CHART 8 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2009 AND 2015 - CARPETS, WOOD, VINYL, TILES, OTHERS - % BY VALUE 25
- CHART 9 MARKET PERFORMANCE INDEX OF FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT SECTORS (CARPETS, WOOD, VINYL, TILES, OTHERS) 2003 - 2015 INDEX 26
- CHART 10 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET - DOMESTIC / CONTRACT APPLICATION MIX 2015 - % BY VALUE 27
- CHART 11 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 30
- CHART 12 NEW HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND, WALES & SCOTLAND) 2009 - 2019 - BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS) 34
- CHART 13 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES AND FLATS) 2008 - 2014 - % BY TYPE 35
- TABLE 14 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (NOT SEASONALLY AJUSTED)2009 TO 2015 (JAN-OCT) - BY VOLUME (THOUSANDS) 36
- TABLE 15 GB NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS OF NEW WORK AND RMI BY SECTOR 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 38
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2014-15 (SOLID & ENGINEERED WOOD, LAMINATES, ACCESSORIES) - % BY VALUE 40
- CHART 17 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR LAMINATE FLOORCOVERINGS 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 41
- CHART 18 UK MARKET FOR LAMINATE FLOORCOVERINGS 1993 - 2015 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 42
- CHART 19 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR SOLID AND ENGINEERED WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 44
- TABLE 20 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS ACCESSORIES 2009 - 2019- BY VALUE (£M MSP) 45
- TABLE 21 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN KEY TYPES OF WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCTS 2008 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£M) 47
- CHART 22 COMPARISON OF MAIN IMPORT SOURCE REGIONS FOR WOOD FLOORING PRODUCTS 2010 AND 2014 - % BY VALUE 48
- TABLE 23 SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR IMPORTS INTO UK WOOD FLOORING MARKET 2010 AND 2014 - BY VALUE (£M) AND % 49
- CHART 24 MAIN DESTINATIONS OF UK WOOD FLOORING EXPORTS 2014 - % BY VALUE 50
- CHART 25 UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET END USE APPLICATION MIX (DOMESTIC/CONTRACT) 2015 - % BY VALUE 51
- CHART 26 UK WOOD FLOORING MARKET - DOMESTIC SECTOR INSTALLATION MIX (NEW HOUSING, DIY & PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION) 2015 - % BY VALUE 52
- CHART 27 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2009-2015 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 53
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR CONTRACT WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS - END USE APPLICATION MIX (COMMERCIAL, RETAIL, ENTERTAINMENT/LEISURE) 2014/15 - % BY VALUE 55
- TABLE 29 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE TOTAL UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 2014 57
- TABLE 30 LEADING SUPPLIERS IN THE SOLID/ENGINEERED WOOD MARKET 2014 59
- CHART 31 WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION - DOMESTIC MARKET 66
- CHART 32 WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION - COMMERCIAL/CONTRACT MARKET 66
- TABLE 33 UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS - DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2015 - % SHARE BY VALUE 69
- TABLE 34 RETAIL SALE OF CARPETS, RUGS AND WALL COVERINGS - NUMBER OF ORGANISATIONS BY TURNOVER BAND 73
- TABLE 35 CONTRACT WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET KEY DISTRIBUTION ROUTES 77
The 'Wood and Laminate Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.