Wood and Laminate Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 05/10/2017 / Number of Pages: 67 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 9th edition of 'Wood and Laminate Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides a detailed review of key sectors of the market Laminates, Solid/Engineered Wood and Accessories. This unique report provides both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the UK market overall and by major product group. It focuses on market size and future prospects, by value, key trends and drivers, leading suppliers, distribution structures, end use sectors etc.
Key areas covered:
- Brief overview of the total floorcoverings market - including carpet, vinyl, wood, ceramics and other floorcoverings.
- Detailed assessment of the wood flooring market - including solid & engineered woods, laminates and flooring accessories etc - total UK market size, trends, product mix, factors influencing growth, future prospects.
- Application mix - domestic and contract market trends, growth sectors, future prospects.
- Key suppliers & distribution mix - analysis of key suppliers with a review of market share and changes in the distribution mix.
Key areas of insight include:
- Comparison of market performance between wood and other floorcoverings in 2005 and 2016 - historic trends over last decade.
- Variable market performance in domestic and contract sectors.
- Little change in recent years in the share mix between solid, engineered wood, laminates, with laminates halting its long term decline in market share.
- Imports continue to dominate all sectors, with China still being the major source for imports.
- Trends in total wood flooring market with forecasts by each product sector to 2021.
- Detailed market data and insight on the wood and laminate floorcoverings market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Arnold Laver, AMM Glasgow, Atkinson & Kirby, Balterio, Bauwerk Boen Group, Beach Bros, Beaulieu International Group (BIG), BHK, Birch Distribution, British Hardwoods, Egger UK, Finsa UK, Fired Earth, Flanagan Flooring Distributors, Fludes, Hamberger Flooring, Harlow Bros, Headlam Group, Hoebeek UK, Hørning, Howarth Timber, IKEA, International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), Jordan Andrews, Junckers, Kährs, Kronospan Ltd, Lathams, Lionvest Trading, Metsa Wood, Natural Wood Floor Co, Pennine Flooring Supplies, Pergo, Plasman, Societe Panaget SAS, STS Flooring, Tapi Carpets, Tarkett Group, Ted Todd, The Natural Floor Company, Thorogood Timber, Timberpride, Timbmet Group, Topps Tiles, Unilin, United Carpets Group, Volunta Parket, Westco, Woodpecker Flooring, and many more.
Overview of Floorcoverings Market
- Overview of UK floorcoverings market - market size from 2012-17, with forecasts to 2021 for all products, sales mix for carpets, vinyl, wood, ceramic tiles and others, key factors influencing trends, future prospects and so on.
- Review of changing product mix - growth/declining sectors, shares by product in 2005 and 2016.
- Key influences on the wood/laminate flooring market, factors affecting future performance. Future prospects for the contract and domestic sectors.
- Review of key external factors influencing the market - economic prospects, housing and construction, stock of dwellings, interest rates & inflation and so on.
Review of Wood Floorcoverings Market
- Comprehensive review of wood floorcoverings market - market size 2012-2017, key trends within sectors, product mix, comparison with other floorcoverings, future prospects to 2021.
- Product sectors - solid wood, engineered wood and laminates - sector shares in 2016, recent changes in mix, forecasts by product from 2017-21.
- Key characteristics of market - pricing, availability, product awareness and target consumers, accessories, changing design trends and so on.
- Role of international trade - changes in import sources - trends from 2012-2016.
- Domestic and contract end-use sectors for total wood floorcoverings market - share by value, share by DIY/new housing/professional installations, Key end-use sectors (share by Commercial, Retail, Leisure and so on).
- Outlook for the overall industry, prospects for wood in relation to other floorcoverings, estimates for 2017 and longer-term forecasts up to 2021, with key factors influencing market recovery, the UK economy, housebuilding, non-residential construction and so on, together with the uncertainty surrounding the Brexit negotiations.
Distribution and Suppliers - Supply Chain Insight
- Review of leading suppliers in the wood floorcoverings market, including manufacturers, importers, distributors and wholesalers.
- Analysis of market share of leading suppliers in UK market - company information, market positioning, changes to supply structure, level/source of imports and so on.
- Structure of distribution channels for supply of wood flooring - domestic and contract supply.
- Distribution shares for major channels - DIY Multiples, Floorcovering Multiples, Independents, Online, Builders Merchants, Department/Variety Stores, Catalogue etc - review of major organisations within each channel, changes in distribution in recent years.Review of leading suppliers in
Future Prospects & Key Influences
- Key influences on the wood/laminate flooring market, factors affecting volume and value performance. Future prospects for the contract and domestic sectors.
- Review of key external factors influencing market - economic prospects, housing and construction, stock of dwellings, interest rates & inflation, etc.
The UK's wood floorcoverings sector, which includes solid wood, engineered wood and laminates, currently accounts for an estimated 16% of the total 1.9bn floorcoverings market. Market value has followed an upward trend since its low point in 2011, and demand for wood flooring has continued to improve into 2016. However, as in other market sectors, there was considerable variation between the performances of individual suppliers, together with strong competition from other smooth flooring products - particularly luxury vinyl.
Laminate, the largest product category in this sector, continues to be a strong driver of growth in the overall wood floorcoverings market and, while both engineered and solid wood have become much more affordable, laminates' excellent environmental credentials have made it an increasingly popular choice in the commercial/contract sector. Value added products with useful additional features, such as non-slip and water-resistant or waterproof flooring, have also helped stimulate demand. The solid and engineered woods sector has been slightly more volatile than laminate, growing strongly in 2014 and in 2015, but with slowing growth in 2016 and is predicted to see similarly slow growth in 2017.
In terms of market trends, the wood floorcoverings market has been buoyed by growth I wider construction sectors and the housebuilding sector in particular. The market has seen an increasing role of imports with the rationalisation of production facilities away from the UK being a crucial factor in this. The percentage share of imports from the EU has risen significantly while imports from Asia has fallen. The DIY sector has fallen in recent years and looks unlikely to improve any time soon, as major DIY multiples carry out significant restructuring programmes in the face of consumer reluctance to carry out their own home improvement tasks. At the same time, the contract sector is now suffering from the uncertainty in business confidence, particularly in the commercial office and retail sectors.
Looking forward, the market is predicted to be impacted by Brexit in the sort terms as business and consumer confidence is low due to the unsettled economy. As mentioned previously, the housebuilding sector is a key driver of growth and this sector is predicted to see solid growth over the next few years. The private sector will continue to take a pivotal role into the medium term, but public sector completions could be underpinned by current and upcoming housing policies. Overall the wood and laminate floorcoverings market is predicted to see modest but continual growth rates up to 2021.
List of Report Contents
- Contents List
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. OVERVIEW OF THE UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 19
- 4.1 DEFINITIONS 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 19
- 4.2.1 Current Situation 20
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 21
- 4.3 FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 22
- 4.4 END-USE APPLICATIONS 24
- 5. THE UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 25
- 5.1 DEFINITION 25
- 5.1.1 Solid Wood 25
- 5.1.2 Engineered Wood 25
- 5.1.3 Laminates 26
- 5.1.4 Accessories 26
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 26
- 5.2.1 Market Trends and Characteristics 28
- 5.2.2 Current Situation 28
- 5.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 29
- 5.3.1 The Housing Market 29
- 5.3.2 Non-Residential Construction 34
- 5.3.3 Trends in Design and Home Décor 36
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 36
- 5.4.1 Laminates 37
- 5.4.2 Solid and Engineered Woods 40
- 5.4.3 Accessories 41
- 5.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 42
- 5.5.1 Import Sources 43
- 5.5.2 Export Destinations 44
- 5.6 END-USE MIX 44
- 5.6.1 Domestic Sector 45
- 5.6.2 Contract Sector 47
- 6. KEY SUPPLIERS 51
- 6.1 BACKGROUND 51
- 6.2 MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS 51
- 6.2.1 Total Wood Floorcoverings Market 51
- 6.2.2 Laminate Flooring Market 52
- 6.2.3 Solid & Engineered Wood Market 53
- 6.3 DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS 56
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 58
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 58
- 7.2 MAJOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 61
- 7.2.1 Definition 61
- 7.2.2 Domestic Distribution Channel Shares 61
- 7.3 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 62
- 7.3.1 DIY Stores 62
- 7.3.2 Builders' Merchants 63
- 7.3.3 Floorcovering Multiples 63
- 7.3.4 Floorcovering Independents 64
- 7.3.5 Internet/Mail Order 65
- 7.3.6 Department Stores and Variety Stores 65
- 7.3.7 Others 66
- 7.4 CONTRACT/COMMERCIAL DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 67
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 19
- CHART 7: UK FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2016 - % BY VALUE 22
- CHART 8: UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2005 AND 2016 - (CARPETS, WOOD, VINYL, TILES & OTHERS) - % BY VALUE 23
- CHART 9: UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET END USE APPLICATION MIX (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 24
- CHART 10: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 27
- CHART 11: HOUSING COMPLETIONS BY REGION (ENGLAND, WALES AND SCOTLAND) 2012-2021 BY VOLUME OF DWELLINGS 30
- CHART 12: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2017 31
- TABLE 13: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS* VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2012-2020 32
- CHART 14: GROWTH OF THE PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR 2014-2025 - BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS (MILLIONS) 33
- CHART 15: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI QUARTERLY ANALYSIS (GB) Q1 2014 TO Q1 2017 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 35
- CHART 16: UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2017 (SOLID & ENGINEERED WOOD, LAMINATES, ACCESSORIES) - % BY VALUE 37
- CHART 17: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR LAMINATE FLOORCOVERINGS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 38
- CHART 18: UK MARKET FOR LAMINATE FLOORCOVERINGS 1993-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 39
- CHART 19: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR SOLID AND ENGINEERED WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 40
- TABLE 20: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS ACCESSORIES 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 41
- TABLE 21: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN KEY TYPES OF WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCTS 2011 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 43
- CHART 22: COMPARISON OF MAIN IMPORT SOURCE REGIONS FOR WOOD FLOORING PRODUCTS 2011 AND 2016 - % BY VALUE 43
- TABLE 23: MAIN IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR THE UK WOOD FLOORING MARKET 2011 AND 2016 - BY VALUE (£M) AND % OF IMPORTS 44
- CHART 24: UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET END-USE APPLICATION MIX (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2017 - % BY VALUE 45
- CHART 25: UK WOOD FLOORING MARKET DOMESTIC SECTOR INSTALLATION MIX (NEW HOUSEBUILDING, DIY AND PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION) 2017 - % BY VALUE 46
- CHART 26: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 48
- CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR CONTRACT WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS BY END-USE APPLICATION MIX (COMMERCIAL, RETAIL, ENTERTAINMENT/LEISURE) 2017 - % BY VALUE 49
- TABLE 28: LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE TOTAL UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 2016 52
- TABLE 29: LEADING SUPPLIERS IN THE SOLID/ENGINEERED WOOD MARKET 2016 54
- CHART 30: WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION - DOMESTIC MARKET 59
- CHART 31: WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION - COMMERCIAL/CONTRACT MARKET 60
- TABLE 32: UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS - DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2017 - % SHARE BY VALUE 61
- TABLE 33: RETAIL SALE OF CARPETS, RUGS AND WALL COVERINGS - NUMBER OF ORGANISATIONS BY TURNOVER BAND 2012 AND 2016 64
- TABLE 34: CONTRACT WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET KEY DISTRIBUTION ROUTES 67
The 'Wood and Laminate Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.