Builders and Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 25/07/2017 / Number of Pages: 90 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 15th edition of the 'Builders and Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides an informed and up-to-date review of this influential market and addresses the market size and structure, key market drivers, key companies, product mix and ongoing changes in the supply chain driven by factors such as technology.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market size, structure and recent developments in the market in the light of a strengthened building and construction industry.
- Market forecasts to 2021.
- Assessment of key influences - market size, influencing market factors, key players and customer groups.
- Market analysis - key characteristics of market, SWOT etc.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and merchants market share.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Analysis of market size; comprehensive review of key factors/trends influencing the market.
- Market performance to 2016 and forecasts through to 2021.
- Review of leading national players and other important regional companies.
- Product group analysis - market sizes, influences, trends and merchant shares.
- Identification of key customer groups in merchant market.
- Changing customer buying behaviour - demand for online purchasing, click & collect.
- Detailed market data and insight on the builders and plumbers merchants market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
AE Spink, Alsford Timber, Bradfords Building Supplies, Building & Plumbing Supplies, Buttle, C&W Berry, Chandlers Building Supplies, Coomers, Covers Timber and Builders Merchants, Crossling, EH Smith, Elliott Brothers, Findlay, G B Willbond, George Bence, GPH Builders Merchants, Grafton Group, Graham, Grant & Stone, Haldane Fisher, Harris & Bailey, HPS (Heating Plumbing Supplies), Huws Gray, Jewson, James Burrell, James Hargreaves, Joseph Parr Group, JT Atkinsons & Sons, JT Dove, Lawsons (Whetstone), LBS Builders Merchants, MKM Building Supplies, MP Moran & Sons, Nicholls & Clarke Limited, Parker Building Supplies, RGB Building Supplies (RGB), Ridgeons, Saint-Gobain Building Distribution, Sehmi Builders Merchants, Shropshire Building Supplies, Smith Brothers (Leicester), Sydenhams, Screwfix, TG Builders Merchants, Wolseley UK.
- National merchants - turnover, company structure, recent performance, market share.
- Regional merchants - key players, turnover, main product areas and branch numbers.
- Buying groups - identification of the main groups and sector consolidation.
- Merchants characteristics - product ranges, profitability, debtors, turnover per employee.
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the merchant sector.
Builders and Plumbers Merchants Market
- The merchants market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2012-2021, drivers, insight, market intelligence, trends and forecasts to 2021.
- Dominance of the national merchants - Travis Perkins, Saint Gobain, Grafton, Wolseley and Screwfix; market mix by merchants type (nationals, regionals & locals).
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development - growth of online purchasing, 'click & collect' etc.
- Identification of merchant's main customers.
- Product pricing trends in the industry.
- Review of market structure - lightside and heavyside product distribution.
- Merchants share of overall construction output.
- Merchants share by each product group.
Products and Suppliers
- Product group reviewed - plumbing & drainage, heating & ventilation, bricks, blocks, clay & concrete products, cement & plaster materials, timber & timber products, kitchen furniture & appliances, roofing & insulation, decorating materials and ironmongery & miscellaneous.
- Product mix for builders and plumbers merchants.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2012-2016 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent major trends and key factors affecting the sub-sector.
- Forecast of expected market development - short term prospects and medium term prospects through to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - increasing confidence for sustained UK economy recovery; residential & non-domestic construction levels, public and private sector performance likely to differ substantially.
- Outlook for the builders and plumbers merchants' market through to 2021 and key drivers.
It is estimated that the builders and plumbers merchants' market will see growth of 2% in 2017, compared with 2016, in value terms. The end use sectors of the merchants' market have fared differently reflecting each sectors' construction performance. However, most end-use sectors have experienced growth since 2013, stimulating demand for merchants' products, with key sectors including housebuilding, offices, infrastructure, industrial and education.
The merchants, which are dominated by a group of 5 organisations, remain an important distribution channel in the overall construction market. However, the merchants' market has undergone some significant structural changes, with many national operations consolidating and restructuring to streamline and enhance multi-channel offerings, and the regional sector has expanded branch networks.
Competition from other channels, particularly the internet and home improvement multiples, continues to impact on the market. However, merchants appear to have outperformed home improvement multiples in recent years and their expansion into e-commerce has offset some of the movement towards internet-only distributors.
Prospects for the merchants' market remain optimistic, although cautious, with confidence in the continued recovery of the UK economy positive but tempered by the uncertainty of the outcome of the General Election and Brexit negotiations. Drivers in the residential sector include under-investment in the housing stock in terms of new build requirements and the age of the current dwellings, which has stimulated expenditure on RMI activity. The cost of fuel and energy as well as the volatility of the exchange rate of Sterling against both the US Dollar and the Euro is likely to drive up prices and therefore market value will increase.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 PRODUCTS 18
- 4.2.1 Product Range 18
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE 19
- 4.3.1 Lightside Product Distribution 22
- 4.3.2 Heavyside Product Distribution 23
- 4.3.3 Buying Groups 24
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE 25
- 4.4.1 Current Trends 25
- 4.4.2 Market Prospects 28
- 4.5 MERCHANTS' SHARE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 29
- 4.6 BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION MARKET INFLUENCES 30
- 4.6.1 Non-Residential Construction Market 30
- 4.6.2 The Housing Market 32
- 5. THE BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 36
- 5.1 MARKET SHARE 36
- 5.2 MERCHANT COMPANY PROFILES 38
- 5.2.1 National Merchants 38
- 5.2.2 Large Regional Merchants 45
- 5.2.3 Medium & Small Size Regionals 47
- 5.2.4 Local Merchants 50
- 5.3 CHARACTERISTICS OF BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 51
- 5.3.1 Profitability 51
- 5.3.2 Debtors 52
- 5.3.3 Turnover Per Employee 52
- 5.3.4 Pricing and Prices 53
- 5.4 MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS 54
- 5.5 MERCHANTS' COMPETITORS 55
- 6. MERCHANTS' CUSTOMERS 56
- 6.1 BUILDERS 56
- 6.1.1 House Builders/General Builders 56
- 6.1.2 Commercial Construction 58
- 6.1.3 Civil Engineering 59
- 6.2 PLUMBING & HEATING CONTRACTORS 60
- 6.3 MECHANICAL & ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS 63
- 6.4 OTHER CUSTOMERS 65
- 7. PRODUCTS 66
- 7.1 PRODUCT MIX 66
- 7.2 MERCHANT SHARES BY PRODUCT 67
- 7.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 67
- 7.3.1 Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) 67
- 7.3.2 Timber & Glazing 70
- 7.3.3 Bricks, Blocks, Building Envelopes and Concrete (BBBEC) 73
- 7.3.4 Cement & Plaster 75
- 7.3.5 Domestic Kitchens 76
- 7.3.6 Plumbing and Drainage 78
- 7.3.7 Bathrooms 79
- 7.3.8 Roofing & Insulation 81
- 7.3.9 Decorating 83
- 7.3.10 Other Products 84
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£BN MERCHSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6: CHANGE IN PRODUCT CATEGORY DEFINITIONS 19
- CHART 7: BUILDING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 20
- TABLE 8: UK BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 25
- CHART 9: GROWTH FORECASTS OF END-USE SECTORS OF MERCHANTS' MARKET, 2016-2021 28
- TABLE 10: MERCHANTS' SHARE OF UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2012 TO 2017 (£BN) 30
- CHART 11: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2012 -2021 31
- CHART 12: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 32
- TABLE 13: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 33
- TABLE 14: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 34
- CHART 15: MERCHANTS BY TURNOVER - 2014 & 2016 36
- CHART 16: MIX OF MERCHANTS BY TYPE (NATIONAL, REGIONAL, LOCAL) 2016 37
- CHART 17: LEADING MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2016 38
- TABLE 18: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - TRAVIS PERKINS 41
- TABLE 19: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - WOLSELEY UK 42
- TABLE 20: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - SAINT GOBAIN BUILDING DISTRIBUTION 43
- TABLE 21: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANT MARKET - GRAFTON UK BUILDING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION 44
- TABLE 22: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANT MARKET - SCREWFIX 45
- TABLE 23: LEADING SMALLER REGIONAL MERCHANT COMPANIES 2015 50
- TABLE 24: MERCHANTS' PROFITABILITY 2012 TO 2016 51
- TABLE 25: MERCHANTS' DEBTORS LEVELS 2012 TO 2016 52
- TABLE 26: MERCHANTS' TURNOVER PER EMPLOYEE 2012 TO 2016 52
- TABLE 27: PERCENTAGE CHANGE OF PRICE INDICES OF CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS 2012-2016 53
- TABLE 28: MERCHANTS' MARKET SWOT ANALYSIS 54
- CHART 29: DIY MULTIPLES & BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' SALES 2012-2017 (INDEX 2012=100) 55
- TABLE 30: ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT INVOLVED IN CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDINGS BY TURNOVER BAND 2012 & 2016 56
- TABLE 31: PLUMBING, HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING INSTALLERS REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND 2016 60
- TABLE 32: UK ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT INVOLVED IN MEP ACTIVITIES BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE BAND - 2016 63
- CHART 33: MIX OF BUSINESSES WITH MORE THAN 20 EMPLOYEES BY PRIMARY ACTIVITY 2016 64
- CHART 34: BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2016 66
- TABLE 35: BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' SHARE OF MARKET SECTORS 2016 (£M MERCH SP) 67
- CHART 36: THE HEATING VENTILATION & AIR CONDITIONING MARKET 2012 TO 2021 BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 68
- CHART 37: PRODUCT MIX HEATING, VENTILATION & AIR CONDITIONING PRODUCTS 2016 - % BY VALUE 70
- CHART 38: UK MARKET FOR TIMBER & GLAZING PRODUCTS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 71
- CHART 39: PRODUCT MIX TIMBER & GLAZING PRODUCTS 2016 - % BY VALUE 71
- CHART 40: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS, BLOCKS, BUILDING ENVELOPE & CONCRETE 2012 TO 2021 (£M MERCHSP) 74
- CHART 41: UK MARKET FOR CEMENT & PLASTER 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 75
- CHART 42: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC KITCHENS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 77
- CHART 43: UK MARKET FOR PLUMBING & DRAINAGE 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 79
- CHART 44: UK MARKET FOR BATHROOM PRODUCTS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 80
- CHART 45: UK MARKET FOR ROOFING & INSULATION 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 81
- CHART 46: UK MARKET FOR DECORATING MATERIALS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 83
- CHART 47: PRODUCT MIX FOR 'OTHER' PRODUCTS 2016 - % BY VALUE 85
The 'Builders and Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.