Contract Cleaning Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 11/10/2017 / Number of Pages: 71 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 7th Edition of the 'Contract Cleaning Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' includes a detailed review of recent trends and developments in addition to future prospects, and offers a comprehensive review of market developments.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Overall contract cleaning market size - trends, key driving factors etc.
- Review of key cleaning sectors including office, health, retail, education, local and central government.
- Review of the cleaning equipment and materials market.
- Key suppliers, supply chain and distribution channels to the market.
- Future prospects to 2021.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Review of contract cleaning market by size and sector - public sector, offices, education, healthcare, transport, retail etc - mix between in-house and contracted out/FM services.
- Market prospects for 2017-21 - pressures on margins and rising input costs are resulting in a very competitive market, further exacerbated by rising wage costs. Impact of uncertainty surrounding Brexit and its impact on the UK economy.
- Growth in outsourcing as organisations seek to reduce costs by focusing on key services - Key FM contractors, profiles etc.
- Trend towards powered cleaning equipment helping to underpin market for cleaning equipment and materials.
Some of the companies included:
ABM Facility Services UK, Adept Cleaning Group (Domestic), Amey, Atlas Cleaning, Better Clean, BG Cleaning, Birkin, Bright & Beautiful (Eco Cleaning), Carillion, Carlisle Support Services, Clean Genie (commercial and domestic cleaning), Consultant Services Cleaners, Devon Norse, Dublcheck, FiltaFry Plus, GSF Sandylight, ICM, Ideal Cleaning Services, Interserve, ISS UK, Jani-King (GB), Jan Pro UK & Ireland, Julius Rutherfoord, Integrated Cleaning Management, Maid2Clean (Domestic), MITIE, Minster Cleaning Services, NIC Services Group, N-Viro, OCS Group, Peartree Cleaning Services, Pinnacle Cleaning Services (Offices), Sanondaf, Spotless Commercial Cleaning, Techclean Services (computer and IT equipment), The ServiceMaster Group, Total Clean, Wetton Cleaning Services
Contract Cleaning Market Overview
- Overview of contract cleaning market plus an analysis of underlying trends and key influences on the market in 2012-17.
- Historical background - development of the market, influencing factors, economic influences, etc.
- Market size by value - 2012-2017 - market performance and prospects and factors influencing future growth potential with forecasts up to 2021.
- Key influences and trends on the development of the market - impact of the economy, legislation, environmental / sustainability issues, technological developments, changes to Minimum Wage/ National Living Wage, price competition and trends within manufacturing and construction sectors.
End-Use Sector Review
- Review of key end-use sectors for the contract cleaning market - including market development since 2012 with forecasts to 2021, share of market by in-house/contracted services in 2016, key influencing factors.
- Individual reviews for commercial offices, healthcare, transport, food hygiene, local authorities, central government, retail & distribution, entertainment & leisure and industrial sectors.
- Contract Cleaning market size by sector 2012-21 - key trends, factors influencing market, construction trends by sector.
- Review of supply structure and corporate activity in recent years.
- Role of Integrated FM providers, single-service contractors etc. - key trends in outsourcing, impact of public sector cuts, etc.
- Profiles of leading organisations in the main supply channels - Multi-Service Providers, Contract Cleaning Companies and Franchise Networks.
Cleaning Equipment and Materials Market
- Product mix by value 2016 for powered cleaning equipment, manual cleaning equipment and cleaning chemicals.
- Powered Cleaning equipment - product mix by carpet cleaning, hard floor machines, pressure washers/steam cleaners.
- Key suppliers to the market and analysis of leading distribution channels.
- Manufacturers of cleaning products and equipment - powered cleaning, manual cleaning, etc.
- Channels of distribution and supply chain - shares by companies, etc.
Contract cleaning is a mature and highly fragmented market, and is one of the most competitive of all the contracted-out sectors. Despite the market being highly competitive and seeing increasing pressure on profit margins, market grew marginally between 2012 and 2014 and this growth accelerated between 2014 and 2016 as economic performance improved. A significant proportion of this growth was generated by the commercial sector as new office construction and refurbishment levels improved and take up and occupancy levels increased.
Within the market, profit margins are under pressure as contractors face rising labour costs and increasing raw material and equipment costs. In addition to this, there is increasing pressure on the cleaning industry to improve standards, particularly in the healthcare sector. To meet demands, there has been a concerted effort within the cleaning industry to improve standards and increase efficiency. The market has also suffered from public spending sector cuts which has significantly reduced budgets in the healthcare, education and central government sectors. Despite the challenges faced by contract cleaners, cleaning remains a necessity and the potential financial, quality and convenience benefits of the outsourcing of cleaning services continues to provide an attractive proposition, even during periods of economic uncertainty.
The market has also seen an underlying trend towards greater levels of outsourcing over the last decade which has driven demand for the contracting out of cleaning services. The use of new technology is driving advances in performance and efficiency, the first fully automated robotic floor cleaning machines have been launched in the UK. -The drive towards more sustainable cleaning practices has become an increasingly important issue. Clients are demanding more sustainable practices from contract cleaning companies to ensure that they waste less, reuse more and reduce pollution. Daytime cleaning is increasingly popular where a high standard of cleanliness is required in healthcare, offices, shops, leisure facilities and factories. Additionally, the demand for bundled service contracts will continue to be a strong driving force in the market as public and private sectors look to maximise value from contracts.
Overall, the prospects for the contract cleaning market are for moderate growth to 2021. The market will be impacted by economic uncertainty surrounding the Brexit negotiations and this will restrict growth in the short to medium term until the market recovers. This reduced growth level may limit the opportunities for new contracts and the expansion of existing contracts in the cleaning sector. Additionally, while the market will be negatively impacted by declines in several areas such as the retail and commercial sector. However, the market will be supported strong growth is transport sector as well as new technology driving advances.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. UK CONTRACT CLEANING MARKET 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & PROSPECTS 19
- 4.3 KEY MARKET TRENDS & INFLUENCES 22
- 4.3.1 Impact of Brexit on Legislation 22
- 4.3.2 Technology 23
- 4.3.3 Daytime Cleaning 24
- 4.3.4 Impact of Online Shopping 24
- 4.3.5 Sustainability 25
- 4.3.6 Legislation 25
- 4.3.7 Hygiene/Infection Control 27
- 4.3.8 Multi-Service Provision 28
- 4.3.9 Construction Activity 28
- 4.3.10 Skills & Qualifications 29
- 4.3.11 Recruitment 30
- 4.3.12 Working Hours and Pay 30
- 4.3.13 Security 30
- 5. END-USE SECTORS 31
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 31
- 5.2 SECTOR OVERVIEWS 32
- 5.2.1 Offices 32
- 5.2.2 Healthcare 35
- 5.2.3 Transport Sector 37
- 5.2.4 Food Hygiene Sector 39
- 5.2.5 Local Authorities / Education 41
- 5.2.6 Central Government 43
- 5.2.7 Retail & Distribution 45
- 5.2.8 Industrial Sector 47
- 5.2.9 Others (including Entertainment & Leisure Sector) 50
- 6. CONTRACTORS REVIEW 52
- 6.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 52
- 6.1.1 IFS/IFM and Multi-Service Providers 53
- 6.1.2 Contract Cleaning Companies 57
- 6.1.3 Franchise Networks 58
- 7. CLEANING EQUIPMENT & MATERIALS 60
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 60
- 7.2 PRODUCT MIX 61
- 7.2.1 Powered Cleaning Equipment 62
- 7.2.2 Manual Cleaning Products 63
- 7.2.3 Commercial & Industrial Cleaning Chemicals 64
- 7.3 MANUFACTURERS/IMPORTERS/DISTRIBUTORS OF CLEANING PRODUCTS & EQUIPMENT 64
- 7.3.1 Powered Cleaning Equipment 64
- 7.3.2 Manual Cleaning Products 66
- 7.3.3 Commercial & Industrial Cleaning Chemicals 66
- 7.4 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 68
- 7.4.1 Other distributors 69
- 7.4.2 Specialist Cleaning Distributors 70
- 7.4.3 Direct Sales 71
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK MARKET FOR CONTRACT CLEANING SERVICES - BY VALUE (£M CONTRACTORS' PRICES) 2012-2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING SERVICES 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT CONTRACTORS' PRICES) 20
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR CLEANING SERVICES MIX BY TYPE (IN-HOUSE/OUTSOURCED) 2016 (% BY VALUE) 31
- CHART 8: UK CONTRACT CLEANING MARKET BY END-USE SECTOR (COMMERCIAL, HEALTH, RETAIL, INDUSTRIAL, FOOD HYGIENE, LEISURE ETC.) - % BY VALUE 2017 32
- CHART 9: OFFICES OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR), NEW ORDERS AND FORECASTS- BY VALUE (£BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 33
- TABLE 10: UK COMMERCIAL OFFICE MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012-2021 34
- CHART 11: HEALTH OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR), NEW ORDERS AND FORECASTS- BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 35
- TABLE 12: UK HEALTHCARE MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M) 2012 - 2021 36
- CHART 13: UK RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR) - BY VALUE (£MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 38
- TABLE 14: UK TRANSPORT MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M) 2012 - 2021 39
- TABLE 15: UK FOOD HYGIENE MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 - 2021 40
- CHART 16: EDUCATION OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR), NEW ORDERS AND FORECASTS - BY VALUE (£ BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 41
- TABLE 17: UK LOCAL AUTHORITY MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING 2012-2021 (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 42
- TABLE 18: UK CENTRAL GOVERNMENT MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 - 2021 44
- CHART 19: RETAIL OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR), NEW ORDERS AND FORECASTS- BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 45
- TABLE 20: UK RETAIL AND DISTRIBUTION MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 46
- CHART 21: INDUSTRIAL OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR), NEW ORDERS AND FORECASTS- BY VALUE (£BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 47
- TABLE 22: UK INDUSTRIAL MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 49
- CHART 23: ENTERTAINMENT & LEISURE OUTPUT (PRIVATE & PUBLIC SECTOR), NEW ORDERS AND FORECAST OUTPUT- BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 50
- TABLE 24: UK ENTERTAINMENT AND LEISURE MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CONTRACT CLEANING- BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 51
- CHART 25: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR COMMERCIAL CLEANING EQUIPMENT, PRODUCTS AND CHEMICALS 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 60
- CHART 26: PRODUCT MIX FOR INDUSTRIAL CLEANING EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS 2017 - BY VALUE (%) 62
- CHART 27: UK MARKET MIX FOR COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL CLEANING MACHINES 2017 - % BY VALUE 63
- CHART 28: UK CLEANING EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS DISTRIBUTION 2017 (SPECIALIST DISTRIBUTORS, DIRECT SALES, CATALOGUE, OTHERS) - % BY VALUE 68
The 'Contract Cleaning Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .