Modular Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 30/08/2017 / Number of Pages: 79 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The first edition of 'Modular Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides a detailed review of the key 'modular' sectors of the floorcoverings market, such as Vinyl Tiles, including LVT, Carpet Tiles and Floor Tiles made from ceramic, porcelain and natural stone, as well as more niche materials such as linoleum, cork, rubber and leather. This unique report provides both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the UK market overall and by major product group. It focuses on market size and future prospects, by value and volume, key trends and drivers, leading suppliers, distribution structures, end use sectors etc.
Key issues analysed:
- Detailed Assessment of the Market - market sizes, key drivers, factors leading to change, product mixes and product trends etc.
- Analysis by Product Group - Carpet Tiles, Vinyl Tiles, Floor Tiles, Ceramic Tiles, Natural Stone Tiles, Terrazzo Tiles, etc.
- Analysis of Key Influencing Factors.
- Review of Supply and Distribution Structure.
- Forecasts of Market Developments to 2021.
Key areas of insight include:
- The growth of LVT and factors driving this sector forward.
- The importance of the contract sector in the market and the factors driving change in this end use sector.
- Market prospects in 2017-18 and medium-term prospects to 2021.
- Impact of the EU exit, the reducing value of Sterling and rising import prices on the modular tiles and LVT market sectors.
- Trends in the floor tiles sector and the impact of increasing competition from alternative smooth flooring types.
Some of the companies included:
Interface Europe, AIREA plc, Desso UK, Forbo Flooring UK, Burmax, Balta Group, National Floorcoverings Group, Miliken, Cavalier Carpets Ege, Sanquhar, Rawson Carpets, Plyfor, Amtico, Karndean International, Beauflor, Gerflor, Tarkett, Unlin Distribution, IVC Group, Ovation, Unnatural Flooring, Bolon, Westco, Harvey Maria's, Jaymart Rubber & Plastics, Johnson Tiles, British Ceramic Tile, Porcelanosa Group,Ceramic Prints, Original Style, RAK Ceramics, Armatile, Villeroy and Boch, Marborough Tiles, Pilkingtons, Welsh Slate, Mandarin Stone, Burlington Slate, Lapicida, Marshalls Interiors, Stonell, Marmobello, Solus Ceramics, Maitland & Poate, Cement Tile Shop, Quiligotti, A Andrews & Sons, Diespeker & Co, Westco, Siesta Cork Tiles, Gradus, Hamberger, Carpetright, Topps Tiles, Fludes Carpets, Tileflair Group, United Carpets Group plc, etc.
- Total Modular Floorcoverings Market - analysis of size by value 2012 -2021, drivers for change, trends, sector mix changes, estimates of market volume 2012-2021 by area, historical trends and market characteristics.
- Analysis by major product sectors - carpet, vinyl, floor ceramic & natural stone tiles, others etc. - current shares and mix changes over the last 5 years, driving factors, future prospects.
- End use sector mix, residential versus non-residential in value and volume.
- Review of key market influences - housebuilding, construction market sizes by sector 2012-17, residential transactions, etc. Overview of domestic and contract sectors.
- Market Prospects - forecasts of overall market performance in 2017-21.
Product Sector Analysis
- Carpet Tiles - market size by value 2012-21, future prospects, drivers and factors for change to 2021, volume mix 2012-2016, product mix (Tufted, Woven Fibre Bonded & Others), factors influencing market performance, international trade, end use sector mix by offices, health, leisure etc. Key suppliers/market shares in the UK carpet tile market.
- Vinyl Tiles and LVT - market size by value 2012-21, prospects, drivers and factors for change to 2021, volume mix 2012-2016, product mix (vinyl tiles versus luxury vinyl tiles), factors influencing market performance, international trade, end use sector mix domestic versus commercial, end use sector mix offices, health etc. Key suppliers/market shares.
- Floor Ceramic & Natural Stone Tiles - market size by value 2012-21, prospects, drivers and factors for change to 2021, product mix by value (ceramic & porcelain, natural stone, others), market mix by volume, factors influencing market performance, international trade, end use sector mix domestic versus commercial. Key suppliers/market shares.
- Other Modular Floorcoverings - Terrazzo Tile, linoleum, cork, rubber etc. - market sizes by value 2012-21 and volume 2012-2017, recent sector performance, key influencing factors, characteristics, prospects to 2021. Key suppliers/market shares.
Distribution and Suppliers
- Domestic Distribution - definitions, market shares by major channel - Multiples, Independents, Specialists, DIY, Builders Merchants, Department Stores, Mail Order, Internet, etc. - areas of growth and decline, major companies within each channel.
- Contract Distribution - mix by major channel - healthcare, education, commercial, retail, industrial, leisure, areas of growth and decline - market prospects.
- Distributors and wholesalers - key companies, operations etc across each different sector.
- Key growth areas - prospects for 2017 and up to 2021 - prospects by product sector.
- Review of key factors impacting the market.
Growth in the UK modular floorcoverings market followed a generally positive path in 2015 and 2016 and this trend has continued into 2017 although performance varies between the individual product sectors, with some more buoyant than others. With growth in recent years driven largely by higher levels of confidence in the private commercial sector and a rise in housebuilding and housing output.
In terms of trends, the contract sector has been generally less volatile than the domestic sector, although the performance of individual product sectors has been variable. The sector has continued to evolve, with the most notable change being the shift to smooth and resilient floorcoverings. The trend for integrating different flooring materials within a single installation has also driven uptake of modular flooring products and the popularity of LVT in both the domestic and contract sectors remains a key factor driving both growth and trends in the market. Carpet tile remains the dominant product group, with an estimated share of more than 33% of total market value in 2016. Sales of carpet tile, have followed a broadly positive path since 2012, however, there are indications that sales of carpet tile have fallen below expected levels in 2017.
Key influencers to the growth of the modular floorcoverings market are factors such as the health of the construction sector and construction output, and a buoyant housing market, underpinned by a strong economy and high levels of both consumer and business confidence and spending. All of these factors are called into uncertainty by the issues and uncertainty surrounding Brexit and the general election, which are impacting both consumer and business confidence. The decline of Sterling in relation to both the Euro and US$ is already impacting prices and margins, and affecting manufacturers and suppliers, as the UK modular floorcoverings market is heavily reliant on imports. Furthermore, market values are being constrained by high levels of competition and significant downward pressure on prices, this is also impacting suppliers' margins.
Looking forward, the modular floorcoverings market is forecast to continue growing over the 2017-21 period. The continued growth is dependent upon factors such as the health of the construction sector and construction output, and a buoyant housing market, underpinned by a strong economy and high levels of both consumer and business confidence and spending. Overall, annual growth rates of 3-4% are currently forecast to 2019, falling to around 2-3% in 2020-21.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 19
- 4.2.1 Current Situation 20
- 4.3 MARKET VOLUME 22
- 4.3.1 Volume Share Mix 2016 23
- 4.4 PRODUCT MIX 24
- 4.5 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 24
- 4.6 END USE SECTOR MIX 25
- 4.6.1 Mix by Value 25
- 4.6.2 Mix by Volume 26
- 4.7 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 27
- 4.7.1 Non-Residential Construction Output 27
- 4.7.2 The New Housebuilding Market 31
- 4.7.3 Housing Product Mix and Housing Trends 32
- 4.7.4 Property Transactions 33
- 4.7.5 Legislation, Regulations and Sustainability 34
- 5. CARPET TILES 35
- 5.1 DEFINITION 35
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE 35
- 5.2.1 Market Size by Value 35
- 5.2.2 Product Mix 36
- 5.2.3 Mix by Volume 37
- 5.3 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 38
- 5.3.1 Current Situation 38
- 5.3.2 Market Prospects 39
- 5.4 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 39
- 5.5 END USE SECTOR MIX 40
- 5.5.1 Domestic Sector 41
- 5.5.2 Contract Sector 41
- 5.6 CARPET TILE SUPPLIERS 42
- 5.6.1 Market Shares 42
- 6. VINYL TILES 45
- 6.1 DEFINITION 45
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE VALUE 45
- 6.3 MARKET VOLUME 47
- 6.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 47
- 6.4.1 Current Situation 48
- 6.4.2 Sector Prospects 49
- 6.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 50
- 6.6 END USE SECTOR MIX 50
- 6.6.1 Domestic Sector 51
- 6.6.2 Contract Sector 51
- 6.7 SUPPLIERS OF VINYL TILES 53
- 7. FLOOR TILES 56
- 7.1 DEFINITION 56
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE BY VALUE 56
- 7.2.1 Market Size by Value 56
- 7.2.2 Product Mix 57
- 7.3 MARKET SIZE BY VOLUME 58
- 7.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 59
- 7.4.1 Ceramic & Porcelain Floor Tiles 59
- 7.4.2 Natural Stone 60
- 7.4.3 Others Including Glass, Metal, Cement, etc 60
- 7.5 CURRENT SITUATION AND MARKET PROSPECTS 60
- 7.6 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 61
- 7.7 END-USE SECTOR MIX 61
- 7.7.1 Domestic Sector 62
- 7.7.2 Contract Sector 62
- 7.8 FLOOR TILES SUPPLIERS 62
- 7.8.1 Leading Suppliers of Ceramic and Porcelain Tiles 63
- 7.8.2 Suppliers of Natural Stone Floor Tiles 63
- 7.8.3 Suppliers of Other Floor Tiles 64
- 8. OTHER MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS 65
- 8.1 DEFINITION 658.2 MARKET SIZE 65
- 8.2.1 Value 668.2.2 Volume 678.3 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 68
- 8.3.1 Current Situation 69
- 8.3.2 Market Prospects 69
- 8.4 END-USE SECTOR MIX 69
- 8.5 KEY SUPPLIERS 69
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 71
- 9.1 OVERVIEW 71
- 9.2 CONTRACT FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 73
- 9.2.1 Contract Floorcoverings Distribution Channels 73
- 9.3 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION 74
- 9.3.1 Domestic Distribution Channel Share 74
- 9.4 DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS 78
- 9.4.1 Major Wholesalers/Distributors 78
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6: UK MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 20
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2021 - BY VOLUME (M SQ M) 22
- CHART 8: UK MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET VOLUME SHARE (CARPET, VINYL, FLOOR TILES & OTHERS) 2016 - % BY VOLUME 23
- CHART 9: UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2012 AND 2016 (CARPET TILE, VINYL TILE, FLOOR TILES AND OTHERS) - % BY VALUE 24
- CHART 10: UK MARKET FOR MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS MIX BY END-USE SECTOR (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016 - % BY VALUE 26
- CHART 11: UK MARKET FOR MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS MIX BY END-USE SECTOR (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016 - % BY VOLUME 27
- CHART 12: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2016 - % BY VALUE 28
- TABLE 13: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2012 TO 2016, WITH ESTIMATES FOR 2017 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 28
- TABLE 14: HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2012 - 2017 (GB) - NUMBER OF DWELLINGS ('000) 32
- TABLE 15: UK NUMBER OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2012 TO Q1 2017 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 33
- TABLE 16: UK NUMBER OF NON-RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2012 TO Q1 2017 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 34
- CHART 17: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR CARPET TILE 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 36
- CHART 18: UK CARPET TILES MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE 2016 (TUFTED, WOVEN, FIBREBONDED, ELECTROSTATICALLY FLOCKED, OTHERS) - % BY VALUE 37
- TABLE 19: UK CARPET TILE MARKET MIX BY TYPE (TUFTED, WOVEN FIBRE BONDED & OTHERS) 2012, 2014 AND 2016 - % BY VOLUME 38
- CHART 20: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CARPET TILES 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 40
- CHART 21: UK CARPET TILE MARKET END-USE MIX (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016 - % BY VALUE 41
- CHART 22: UK MARKET FOR CARPET TILES KEY CONTRACT END USE SECTORS 2016 % BY VALUE 42
- TABLE 23: LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CARPET TILE MARKET 2015-2016 43
- CHART 24: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR VINYL TILE 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 46
- CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR MODULAR VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS 2016-17 - % BY VOLUME 47
- TABLE 26: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN VINYL WALL, CEILING AND FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 50
- CHART 27 UK VINYL TILE MARKET END-USE MIX (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016 - % BY VALUE 50
- CHART 28: UK MARKET FOR VINYL TILES KEY CONTRACT END USE SECTORS 2016 % BY VALUE 52
- TABLE 29: SUPPLIERS OF LVT AND VINYL TILE TO THE UK MARKET 2016 - % SHARE 53
- CHART 30: UK MARKET FOR FLOOR TILES 2012-2021, BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 56
- CHART 31: UK MARKET FOR FLOOR TILES PRODUCT MIX (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN TILES, NATURAL STONE, GLASS, METAL, CEMENT) 2016 - % BY VALUE 58
- CHART 32: UK MODULAR FLOOR TILES MARKET VOLUME SHARE (CARPET, WOOD, VINYL & OTHERS) 2016 - % BY VOLUME 59
- TABLE 33: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CERAMIC TILES 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 61
- CHART 34: UK FLOOR TILES MARKET END USE APPLICATION MIX (CONTRACT VERSUS DOMESTIC) 2016 - % BY VALUE 62
- CHART 35: UK MARKET FOR OTHER MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX (TERRAZZO, CORK, RUBBER AND OTHERS INCLUDING LINOLEUM AND LEATHER) 2016 - % BY VALUE 66
- CHART 36: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR OTHER MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 67
- CHART 37: UK MARKET FOR OTHER MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2017 - BY VOLUME (M SQ M) 68
- CHART 38: UK MARKET FOR OTHER MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS END USE APPLICATION MIX (CONTRACT VERSUS DOMESTIC) 2016 - % BY VALUE 69
- CHART 39: MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR THE UK MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 72
- TABLE 40: KEY DISTRIBUTION ROUTES FOR CONTRACT MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS BY PRODUCT (DISTRIBUTORS SPECIALISTS, RETAIL ETC) 73
- TABLE 41: KEY DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR OF MODULAR FLOORCOVERINGS 2016 - % SHARE BY VALUE 75
- TABLE 42: RETAIL SALE OF CARPETS, RUGS AND WALL COVERINGS - NUMBER OF ORGANISATIONS BY TURNOVER BAND 76
The 'Modular Floorcoverings Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' - £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.