Door and Window Fabricators Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 26/04/2018 / Number of Pages: 89 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 8th Edition of the 'Door and Window Fabricators Market Report - UK 2018-2022' has been published by AMA Research. This extensive report covers the door and window fabricators market from manufacture to distribution, with keen insight into product trends, market influences, future prospects and more. Incorporating original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed report on the overall market for windows and doors from a fabricator's perspective.
Key content covered in the report
- Analysis by product sector - Residential Windows and Doors, Conservatories, Commercial Windows, Curtain Wall, Ground Floor Treatments, Roof Glazing etc., market trends, key influencing factors and forecasts up to 2022.
- Analysis by frame material and by application - covering home improvement, housebuilding, private & public sector, private commercial and industrial markets.
- Extensive coverage of suppliers in the door & window manufacturing & fabrication industry including retail glazing companies, trade PVC-U systems fabricators, joinery manufacturers, aluminium systems fabricators, and specialist manufacturers.
Areas of particular interest
- Market development in 2013-18 - driven by an upturn in residential and key commercial sectors (such as offices, retail, hotels, leisure, etc) and enhanced security and environmental standards.
- Key product mix and material mix trends - PVCu, aluminium, timber and composites, material usage in key product sectors, market mix by volume and value.
- Supply and distribution - extensive review of the fabricator market, retail glazing companies, PVCu systems fabricators, joinery manufacturers, aluminium systems, steel window manufacturers and specialists.
- Market prospects to 2022 - including a review of key market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
A&B Glass Company, Alumet Systems (UK), Anaco Systems, Anglian Home Improvements, APIC UK, Assa Abloy Entrance Systems, Benlowe Group, Boon Edam UK, Camden Group, Charles Henshaw & Sons Ltd, CMS Enviro Systems, C R Smith, Customade UK, CWG Choices, Dane Architectural Systems, Distinction Doors, Door Stop International, Dorma UK, Emplas Window Systems, English Architectural Glazing (EAG), Entu Plc, Everest, Duplus Architectural Systems, Geze UK, Gilgen Door Systems UK, Glazerite Windows, HansenGroup, High Performance Door Solutions, Howarth Timber Group, Howden Joinery, HW Architectural, JB Kind, Jeld-Wen UK, Keylite Roof Windows, Masco UK Window Group, Performance Timber Products Group, Premdor Crosby, Rationel, Record UK,.Rockdoor, Saint Gobain Glass (United Kingdom), Sash UK, Sidey Solutions, Solidor, Specialist Building Products (Epwin), Structura UK, Synseal Extrusions, Total Glass, Velux, VKR Group, Ubbink (UK), Whiteline Group, Xtralite (Rooflights) and many more.
- Overall door and window fabricators market - size and market mix by value, key general trends and underlying market drivers from 2013-18 and forecasts of future trends to 2022.
- Analysis of residential windows sector by volume and value 2013-2022. Focus on both newbuild and replacement markets, analysis by frame material and end-user sector. Review of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of commercial windows sector by value 2013-2022. Key market drivers. Mix by frame material.
- Analysis of residential entrance doors sector by volume and value 2013-2022 - focus on both newbuild and replacement markets with each segmented by frame material and end-user sector. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of patio door sector by volume and value 2013-2018. Focus on both newbuild and replacement markets with each segmented by frame material and end-user sector - growth of bi-fold doors. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of conservatory sector by volume and value 2013-2022. Segmentation by frame material. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of curtain wall sector by value 2013-2022. Key market drivers. Mix by frame material.
- Analysis of roof glazing and ground floor treatment sectors by value 2013-2022. Key market drivers.
Supply and distribution
- Analysis of door and window fabrication sectors - retail glazing companies, PVC-U systems fabricators, aluminium systems fabricators, steel framed glazing manufacturers, timber window manufacturers and specialist suppliers, (e.g. bespoke contractors and composite door manufacturers). Changes in supply structure.
- Review of retail glazing sector -market shares for leading companies. Changes in market structure.
- Review of PVC-U fabricator sector split between trade fabricators and fabricator/installers. Turnover and volume output estimates for leading companies. Changes in structure -activity and performance summaries for leading companies.
- Review of aluminium systems fabrication sector. Activity and performance summaries for leading companies.
- Review of activities and performance of other leading manufacturers from other sectors including bespoke specialists, joinery, steel windows, rooflights and composite doors.
- Market prospects in 2018-19 - key drivers in door & window fabricators market and longer-term prospects up to 2022. Key growth sectors.
- Overall trends in glazing industry - materials, sectors etc. Impact of changes on market structures.
The market showed a strong performance 2013-2016 with a flattening out in 2017. There are challenging prospects and little or low growth forecast short term. Longer term the outlook is mildly optimistic with lower growth forecast than in previous years but for a return to average growth post Brexit. Key defining factors in this market in 2017-18 are unchanged over the previous period: market maturity (in particular for the domestic replacement market), fragmentation, competition, cost-management, building legislation, 'green' building, tough market conditions and diversification. But the economic scenario has changed.
The development of the economy is a key factor to the glazing sector, impacting on consumer confidence, housebuilding, public spending and commercial construction output. Forecasts are for a less positive economy and uncertainty amongst the political, business and consumer sectors seems likely to continue over the next 2-3 years as negotiations with the EU continue.
There is significant over-capacity in the industry resulting in an intensely competitive market, especially in the retail PVCu sector - prices and margins remain under pressure as companies compete for business. Fabricators have responded to consumer market demand by broadening their range with alternative materials, styles and technical improvements to capture preferences through new styles/colours, triple glazing, bi-fold and composite doors, PVCu mechanical jointing and with greater thermal and security features.
The supply structure remains very fragmented, comprising a mix of vertically integrated retail glazing companies, PVCu trade fabricators and fabricator/installers, aluminium systems fabricator/installers, bespoke glazing contractors, composite door manufacturers, commercial glazing specialists, roof light manufacturers, steel window manufacturers and major joinery companies as well as others. There have been a few closures and acquisitions/mergers since the last edition of this report and some major changes among the larger firms.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.3 KEY END USER MARKETS 21
- 4.3.1 Replacement Domestic Door and Window Sector 21
- 4.3.2 New Housebuilding Sector 22
- 4.3.3 Social Housing Sector 23
- 4.3.4 Commercial Building Sector 23
- 4.4 OVERALL CONSTRUCTION MARKET 24
- 4.5 HOUSEBUILDING MARKET 25
- 4.6 THE UK SOCIAL HOUSING MARKET 28
- 4.6.1 Government Housing Spending Plans 30
- 4.7 THE HOUSE MOVING MARKET 31
- 4.8 TRADE ASSOCIATIONS, STANDARDS AND LEGISLATIVE INFLUENCES 32
- 4.8.1 Trade Associations 32
- 4.8.2 Standards and Legislation 33
- 4.9 ENVIRONMENTAL TRENDS 35
- 4.10 RAW MATERIALS AND OVERHEAD PRICE TRENDS 36
- 4.11 DEVELOPMENT OF KEY MATERIALS 36
- 4.11.1 Higher Specification Trends 36
- 4.11.2 Materials 37
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 40
- 5.1 MARKET SEGMENTATION 40
- 5.2 RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS 42
- 5.2.1 Overall UK Market for Fabricated Residential Windows 42
- 5.2.2 Replacement Market for Residential Windows 45
- 5.2.3 Distribution by Sector 47
- 5.2.4 Newbuild Market for Residential Windows 48
- 5.3 CONSERVATORIES 49
- 5.3.1 Market Size by Volume and Value 49
- 5.3.2 Frame Materials Mix 50
- 5.4 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 51
- 5.4.1 Market Size 51
- 5.4.2 Frame Materials 52
- 5.5 RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS 53
- 5.5.1 Overall Market for Residential Entrance Doors 53
- 5.5.2 Replacement Market for Residential Entrance Doors 54
- 5.5.3 Newbuild Market for Residential Entrance Doors 56
- 5.6 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS/ENTRANCE SYSTEMS 56
- 5.7 CURTAIN WALL 58
- 5.8 ROOF GLAZING 60
- 5.9 PATIO DOORS 61
- 5.9.1 Overall Market for Patio Doors 61
- 5.9.2 Patio Door Frame Materials 63
- 6. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 65
- 6.1 LARGE AND REGIONAL RETAIL GLAZING COMPANIES 65
- 6.2 PVCU SYSTEMS FABRICATORS 68
- 6.2.1 Leading PVCu Systems Fabricators 70
- 6.3 JOINERY MANUFACTURERS 76
- 6.4 ALUMINIUM SYSTEMS FABRICATORS 79
- 6.5 STEEL WINDOWS MANUFACTURERS 83
- 6.6 SPECIALISTS 83
- 6.6.1 Bespoke Façade and Roof Glazing Companies 83
- 6.6.2 Composite Door Manufacturers 85
- 6.6.3 Rooflight Manufacturers 87
- 6.6.4 Glazed Commercial Entrance Door Systems Suppliers 88
Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6: UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET £M TRADE PRICES 2013-2022 19
- CHART 7: THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP 2013 TO 2018 - BY VALUE (£M AT TRADE PRICES) 20
- TABLE 8: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GREAT BRITAIN 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 25
- CHART 9: NEW HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2012-2022 - BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS) 26
- CHART 10: ENGLAND HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS MIX (HOUSES AND FLATS) 2011 TO 2017 - % BY VOLUME 27
- TABLE 11: ENGLAND DWELLING STOCK BY TENURE ('000S) 2011 - 2016 28
- CHART 12: HOUSING STOCK BY COUNTRY AND TENURE 2016 - % OF DWELLINGS 29
- CHART 13: MOVING ANNUAL TOTAL SECURED GROSS LENDING TO INDIVIDUALS AND HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS 2011 TO 2017 - MAT (£MILLION) 31
- CHART 14: UK FABRICATORS MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR 2017 - % BY VALUE 40
- TABLE 15: UK MARKET FOR FABRICATED RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT TRADE PRICES) AND BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) 42
- CHART 16: HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVEL OF ANY TYPE OF DOUBLE-GLAZING 1991 - 2017 44
- CHART 17: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS APPLICATION MIX 2017 - % BY VOLUME 44
- CHART 18: REPLACEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, PVCU, OTHER) 1986 TO 2017 - % BY VALUE 46
- CHART 19: UK RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS MARKET REPLACEMENT WINDOWS SECTOR DISTRIBUTION MIX (DIRECT SELL, LA/HA, INDIRECT PRIVATE) 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 47
- TABLE 20: UK CONSERVATORY MARKET 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) AND VALUE (£M MSP) 49
- CHART 21: UK CONSERVATORIES MARKET MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 2017 - % BY VOLUME 50
- TABLE 22: UK MARKET FOR FABRICATED COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT TRADE PRICES) 51
- CHART 23: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 2016-17 - % BY INSTALLED VALUE 52
- TABLE 24: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) AND VALUE (£M) 53
- CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS BY APPLICATION 2017 - % BY VOLUME 54
- CHART 26: REPLACEMENT RESIDENTIAL DOORS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 1992 TO 2017 - % BY VALUE 55
- CHART 27: NEW HOUSING ENTRANCE DOOR FRAME MATERIALS 1995 TO 2017 % BY VOLUME 56
- TABLE 28: THE UK MARKET FOR FABRICATED GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 57
- TABLE 29: THE UK FABRICATORS MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP EQUIVALENT) 59
- TABLE 30: UK MARKET FOR ROOF GLAZING 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 60
- CHART 31: UK MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS BY APPLICATION 2017 - % BY VOLUME 62
- TABLE 32: UK MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) AND VALUE (£M MSP) 62
- CHART 33: MIX OF REPLACEMENT PATIO DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL 1992 TO 2017 - % BY VALUE 63
- CHART 34: UK REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW RETAIL SHARES 2017 - % BY VALUE 66
- CHART 35: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE PVCU WINDOWS & DOORS 69
- TABLE 36: LEADING TRADE FABRICATORS - BY TURNOVER (£M) 2013-2016 71
- CHART 37: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - TIMBER WINDOWS AND DOORS 77
- CHART 38: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - ALUMINIUM WINDOWS AND DOORS 80
The 'Door and Window Fabricators Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.