Education Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 22/11/2017 / Number of Pages: 72 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 7th edition of the 'Education Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' reviews construction activity and leading capital building programmes in the primary, secondary and higher education sectors against a backdrop of constrained Government funding.
Key issues covered:
- Construction output in the public and private education sector plus forecasts to 2021.
- Assessment of the structure and size of the primary, secondary and higher education sectors.
- Assessment of public sector funding for primary, secondary and higher education sectors, with analysis of resource/ capital budgets for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- Key market trends and the impact of government spending cuts on education projects and capital programmes.
Key areas of insight include:
- Review of leading contractors and developers and their consortia within schools and universities.
- Analysis of key capital building programmes and frameworks in the school sector, including Priority Schools Building Programme, Scotland's Schools for the Future Programme and the Welsh 21st Century Schools Programme.
- Analysis of funding sources in the higher education sector including income from bank credit, tuition fees, research grants, capital endowments, PFI, bond markets etc.
- Overview of developer and contractor activity within the different sectors of education construction.
- Detailed market data and insight on education construction by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Balfour Beatty, BAM, Bouygues UK, Bowmer & Kirkland, Carillion, Downing Developments, Galliford Try, Interserve, Kier, Laing O'Rourke, Morgan Sindall, Osborne, Sir Robert McAlpine, Wates, Watkin Jones, Willmott Dixon and many more.
Education Construction in the UK
- Total Construction Output - value of output construction new work and forecasts to 2021 and construction output by sector.
- Contractors' output in the school sector and output in the higher education sector including forecasts to 2021.
Primary & Secondary Education Sector
- Structure of UK School system - mainstream and other state schools, independent schools.
- Education Capital Funding - England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.
- Analysis of recent spending announcements - 2017 Spring Budget, 2016 Autumn Statement.
- Education capital building programmes - PSBP 1&2, Academies Programme, Free Schools, UTCs, Scotland's Schools for the Future Programme, Wales' 21st Century Schools.
Higher Education Sector
- Overview and structure of the UK HE sector.
- University estates - size, Capital spending & infrastructure backlog.
- Impact of the Higher Education & Research Act on the number/role of private providers in the HE sector.
- Key trends in the HE sector - student growth, applications, tuition fees, Brexit, and their impact on student numbers.
- Capital expenditure in the higher education sector - England, Scotland, Wales.
- Alternative funding sources - capital markets, endowment funds, bond markets etc.
- University capital building programmes - university and regional enterprise zones.
- Overview of student accommodation sector - Types of accommodation, regional provision, key providers.
Construction Supply in the Education Sector
- Leading Contractors and major project awards - Schools sector.
- Leading Contractors and major project awards - higher education sector.
- Leading Contractors and Developers - Student Accommodation.
- Procurement of Projects in the Higher Education Sector.
Education output increased in 2016, to reach levels last seen in 2010, prior to the ending of the Building Schools for the Future programme. However, whilst public sector output in the education sector still represents the larger share in terms of value, overall value in this area has declined significantly due to cuts in budgets. In contrast, privately funded projects, which includes, for example, Free Schools, has grown. The key to the future of education construction work volumes remains the rate of procurement and funding levels of key national building programmes, with the Government committed to funding these into the medium-term future.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 5
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 MARKET SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 13
- 3.6 STERLING 14
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 15
- 4. EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION MARKET 17
- 4.1 TOTAL CONSTRUCTION MARKET 17
- 4.2 EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION MARKET 19
- 5. PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS 23
- 5.1 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 23
- 5.2 STATE SCHOOLS 24
- 5.2.1 Overview 24
- 5.2.2 Funding 25
- 5.2.3 Capital Building Programmes 29
- 5.3 INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS 41
- 6. THE HIGHER EDUCATION SECTOR 43
- 6.1 OVERVIEW AND STRUCTURE 43
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 44
- 6.2.1 Student Growth 47
- 6.2.2 Tuition Fees 49
- 6.3 FUNDING 49
- 6.3.1 Sources of Funding 49
- 6.3.2 Regional Funding 50
- 6.3.3 Endowment Funds & Debt Capital 52
- 6.4 CAPITAL BUILDING PROGRAMMES 54
- 6.5 STUDENT ACCOMMODATION 57
- 6.5.1 Overview 57
- 6.5.2 Regional Analysis 63
- 6.5.3 Commercial Providers 64
- 7. CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR 68
- 7.1 LEADING CONTRACTORS IN THE SCHOOLS SECTOR 68
- 7.1.1 Higher Education Sector 70
- 7.1.2 Student Accommodation Sector 71
- 7.1.3 Procurement of Projects in the HE Sector 72
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT FOR EDUCATION NEW WORK 2012 TO 2021- BY VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES 7
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 10
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 12
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 13
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 6: VALUE OF TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 17
- CHART 7: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 18
- TABLE 8: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT FOR EDUCATION NEW WORK 2012 TO 2021- BY VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES 19
- CHART 9: EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT AND GROWTH FORECASTS 2016 TO 2021 (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 21
- TABLE 10: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT FOR SCHOOLS EDUCATION PUBLIC SECTOR NEW WORK 2012 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES 23
- TABLE 11: EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 2017-18 25
- CHART 12: DFE CAPITAL EXPENDITURE IN SCHOOLS 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN) 26
- TABLE 13: DFE: CAPITAL DEL SUMMARY 2015-17 BY BUDGET (£) 26
- TABLE 14: EDUCATION CAPITAL SPENDING SCOTLAND 2013-2018: (£M) 28
- TABLE 15: EDUCATION CAPITAL SPENDING WALES 2016-2021 (£M) 28
- TABLE 16: EDUCATION SPENDING NORTHERN IRELAND 2014-15 TO 2016-17: MIX BY RESOURCES & CAPITAL (£BN) 29
- TABLE 17: ESFA CONSTRUCTION FRAMEWORK 2017 - PROPOSED VALUE OF LOTS (£M) 32
- TABLE 18: PRIORITY SCHOOLS BUILDING PROGRAMME: PROJECT STATUS (AS AT DECEMBER 2016) BY VALUE (£M) 33
- TABLE 19: ACADEMIES OPEN BY PHASE OF EDUCATION AND TYPE OF ACADEMY (AS AT AUGUST 2017) 34
- TABLE 20: ACADEMIES IN THE PIPELINE BY PHASE OF EDUCATION AND TYPE OF ACADEMY (AS AT AUGUST 2017) 35
- TABLE 21: SCOTTISH PROCUREMENT ALLIANCE - £800M SCHOOLS FRAMEWORK: APPOINTED CONTRACTORS 37
- TABLE 22: SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT - KEY CAPITAL AND REVENUE FUNDED EDUCATION PROJECTS: FORWARD PIPELINE 2015-2020 BY VALUE (£M) 39
- TABLE 23: UK PUBLIC SECTOR EDUCATION OUTPUT: UNIVERSITIES AND TOTAL OUTPUT - BY VALUE £BN AT CURRENT PRICES 2012 TO 2016 44
- TABLE 24: HIGHER EDUCATION ESTATE MANAGEMENT DATA BY INSTITUTION - CAPITAL EXPENDITURE ON NON-RESIDENTIAL ESTATE 2015-16 46
- CHART 25: HEI APPLICATIONS 2013-2017 (JUNE DEADLINE) (UK, EU & OVERSEAS APPLICANTS) 48
- TABLE 26: ANNUAL TUITION FEES IN THE UK BY COUNTRY (COURSES STARTING IN 2017) 49
- CHART 27: UK HIGHER EDUCATION MAIN SOURCES OF INCOME -2015-16 50
- TABLE 28: TOP CAPITAL ALLOCATIONS TO HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS 2017-18 (£M) 51
- TABLE 29: SFC SCOTLAND CAPITAL FUNDING TO HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS 2017-18 (£M) 52
- TABLE 30: TOP 15 UK UNIVERSITY ENDOWMENT FUNDS 2016 (£M) 53
- TABLE 31: UNIVERSITY ENTERPRISE ZONES IN THE UK - SUMMARY 55
- CHART 32: TYPES OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION IN THE UK - APPROXIMATE SHARE BY TYPE 2016 58
- CHART 33: FORWARD PIPELINE OF STUDENT BED-SPACES BY OPERATOR 2017-20 60
- TABLE 34: REGIONAL PROVISION OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION AT MAJOR UK UNIVERSITIES 2015-16 63
- TABLE 35: MARKET SHARES OF LEADING PBSA OPERATORS 2016-17 66
- TABLE 36: TOP 10 CONTRACTORS IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR (BY NUMBER & VALUE OF CONTRACTS AWARDED) YEAR TO AUGUST 2017 68
The 'Education Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.