Garden Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 28/02/2018 / Number of Pages: 92 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 13th edition of the 'Garden Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2018-2022' incorporates original input and primary research, and represents an informed, up-to-date and detailed review of the distribution market for garden products. It includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years.
Key areas covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure and recent developments in the market.
- Forecasts of market developments - to 2022.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and distribution channel shares by product group.
- Product sectors included - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking, water products, propagation and netting).
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance to 2017, with forecasts to 2022. The key influences on the market, including the weather and the economy, specific trends for each individual sector.
- Factors affecting the market, analysis of key market characteristics, trend towards 'outdoor living'.
- Product group analysis - market sizes, influences, trends and distribution channel shares.
- Review of key suppliers for different product categories - product profiles, turnovers etc.
- Review of distribution structure - key channels: Garden centres, DIY multiples, High street, Grocery multiples, direct sales, growth of Internet etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the garden products distribution market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Amazon, Asda, Alexander Rose, Argos, B&Q, Barlow Tyrie, Barton Grange, Bents, Blue Diamond UK, Bunnings, Burford, Dobbies, Doff Portland, Freemans Grattan Holdings (FGH), Frosts, Gloster Furniture, Gordale, Hartman Outdoor Living UK, Haskins, Hillier, J Parker Dutch Bulbs, JD Williams & Company Keter UK, Kettler GB, Klondyke Gp, Leisuregrow Products, Lifestyle Media Group, Li-Lo Leisure Products, Longacres, Maxwells DIY, Meika, Notcutts, Otter, Polhill, Rightway Bevans, Ruxley Manor, Sainsbury's, SBM Life Science, Scotsdale, Scotts of Stow, Shop Direct, Sipcam UK, Squires, Suttons Consumer Products, Taskers, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, Van Hage & Co, Vitax, Waitrose, Webbs, Westland Horticulture, Whitehall, Wickes, WM Morrisons, Woodthorpe Hall, Wyevale Garden Centres, and more.
The Garden Products Market
- Domestic garden products market - market definition in terms of product categories included.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2012-2022 and key characteristics of the market.
- Market trends and major factors influencing the sector - including UK economy, performance of housebuilding / housemoving sectors, impact of weather, product trends, attitudes towards gardens etc.
- Market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2022.
Garden Products Distribution Channels
- Overview of supply structure - complex structure with a variety of distribution channels.
- Review of distribution channels - estimated channel shares in 2017 including Garden Centres, DIY multiples, Catalogue, Mail order & Internet, High street & grocery multiples, etc.
- Product mix within key distribution channels.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - market shares, turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialisation etc.
- Competing influences, with the rise of an 'omni-channel' approach and an increase in online trading.
- Product groups reviewed - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis & garden structures, decking, water & transfer products and propagation & netting).
- Product groups - market size 2012-2017 and product mix shares 2017 within each sector.
- Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector, such as appeal of 'vertical gardens', multi-functional, cordless and robotic equipment, up-trading in the furniture and barbecue sector.
- Overview of supply structure - A complex supply structure with a wide range of distribution channels across different product sectors.
- Identification of main suppliers by product group - product profiles, turnovers, consolidation etc.
- Review of distribution channels with channel shares.
- Forecasts of market developments - Prospects up to 2022 in the light of Brexit, growth areas, product trends, appeal of smart technology, growth of Internet and other changes in distribution.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding, consumer confidence & spending, weather, changing role of the garden, potential labour shortages, requirement for added convenience and low maintenance products, appeal of garden decoration and leisure, environmental influences, attracting a wider demographic to gardening sector.
The UK domestic garden products distribution market is vast and has experienced consecutive years of growth. Key product sectors in the market are horticulture, garden sundries, garden buildings, garden equipment, garden leisure and garden chemicals. As the market comprises diverse sub-sectors, each is subject to different influences and trends.
Whilst some parts of the garden products market may be considered comparatively mature, such as barbecues, conservatories and garden furniture, the desire to reflect more premium materials and styles is encouraging trade up sales. Developing areas within the market include garden rooms and garden decoration. Artificial grass has risen in popularity, as it brings added convenience and minimal maintenance. Both the weather and the economy influence growth rates within the overall garden products distribution market. A strong interest in home improvement, which extends to the garden, has also impacted on growth in this sector.
The DIY sector accounts for the majority of sales of garden products, reflecting their diverse product range, especially in garden equipment and leisure products. Garden centres represent the next largest category, with horticulture and specialist gardening advice a core strength. Consumers are increasingly using the internet to purchase and browse for garden products and this has led to many distributors adopting an 'omni-channel' approach, combining in-store and an online presence, catalogues, phone and mail order.
Going forward, our market forecasts assume moderate growth within the garden products distribution sector, from 2018 - 2022, underpinned by sustained demand for housing and interest in home improvement, though the impact will differ within specific garden product categories.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET STRUCTURE 18
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE 22
- 4.3.1 Current Performance 22
- 4.3.2 Future Performance 25
- 4.3.3 State of the Garden Products Distribution Market 27
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 28
- 4.4.1 Consumer characteristics 29
- 4.4.2 The Housing Market 30
- 4.4.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 31
- 4.4.4 Housing Transactions 32
- 4.4.5 Other Influences 33
- 5. CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 35
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION OF GARDEN PRODUCTS 35
- 5.1.1 Channel Share Mix 36
- 5.1.2 Comparative strengths and weaknesses 37
- 5.2 DIY MULTIPLES 38
- 5.2.1 Definition 38
- 5.2.2 Market Size 38
- 5.2.3 Key Companies 40
- 5.2.4 Garden Product Mix 41
- 5.3 GARDEN CENTRES 42
- 5.3.1 Definition 42
- 5.3.2 Market Size 42
- 5.3.3 Market Shares 44
- 5.3.4 Key Companies 45
- 5.3.5 Product Mix 46
- 5.4 GROCERY MULTIPLES, HIGH STREET & DISCOUNTERS 47
- 5.4.1 Key Companies 48
- 5.4.2 Garden Products Mix 49
- 5.5 CATALOGUE STORES / MAIL ORDER / INTERNET SUPPLIERS 50
- 5.5.1 Key Companies 52
- 5.5.2 Garden Products Mix 53
- 5.6 OTHERS 54
- 6. PRODUCTS 55
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 55
- 6.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 56
- 6.2.1 Horticulture 56
- 6.2.2 Garden Sundries 60
- 6.2.3 Garden Buildings 74
- 6.2.4 Garden Equipment 77
- 6.2.5 Garden Leisure 82
- 6.2.6 Garden Chemicals 88
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS 19
- TABLE 7: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 23
- TABLE 8: OPPORTUNITIES AND THREATS POSED TO THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET 28
- CHART 9: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID 2015 ('000) 29
- TABLE 10: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS - GREAT BRITAIN 2012 TO 2021 BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 30
- CHART 11: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2004-2021 31
- TABLE 12: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013-2022 (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 32
- CHART 13: UK GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS SHARES MIX, 2017 ESTIMATE BY VALUE 36
- TABLE 14: COMPARISON OF DIY MULTIPLES AND GARDEN CENTRES 37
- CHART 15: DIY MULTIPLES MARKET - 2013-2017 (£BN RSP) 38
- CHART 16: GARDEN & LEISURE PRODUCTS SHARE BY MAJOR MULTIPLE 2017 40
- CHART 17: DIY MULTIPLES GARDEN PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 41
- CHART 18: UK GARDEN CENTRE MARKET - 2013-2017 (£M RSP) 43
- TABLE 19: GARDEN CENTRE MARKET SHARES 2017 BY VALUE (EST) 44
- CHART 20: GARDEN CENTRES PRODUCT MIX, 2017 - BY VALUE 46
- CHART 21: HIGH-STREET & GROCERY MULTIPLES GARDEN PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 49
- CHART 22: GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2009 - 2017 50
- CHART 23: CATALOGUE, MAIL-ORDER & INTERNET RETAILERS GARDEN PRODUCT MIX 2017 - BY VALUE 53
- CHART 24: MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET (HORTICULTURAL, EQUIPMENT, LEISURE, CHEMICALS, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES ETC.) 2017 - BY VALUE 55
- TABLE 25: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL, 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 56
- CHART 26: MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK HORTICULTURAL MARKET (NURSERY & BEDDING, AND BULBS & SEEDS) 2017 - BY VALUE 58
- CHART 27: CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL MARKET - GARDEN CENTRE, MAIL ORDER, DIY, HIGH STREET/GROCERY ETC. 2017 (% BY VALUE) 60
- CHART 28: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES, 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 61
- CHART 29: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES PRODUCT MIX - 2017 % BY VALUE - FENCING & LANDSCAPING, GARDEN DECORATION AND WATERING & PROPAGATION 62
- TABLE 30: UK FENCING & HARD LANDSCAPING MARKET 2013-2017, BY VALUE (£M RSP) 63
- TABLE 31: UK GARDEN DECORATION MARKET 2013-2017 BY VALUE (£M RSP) - POTS & PLANTERS, WATER FEATURES, LIGHTING, OTHER DECORATION 67
- TABLE 32: UK DOMESTIC WATERING & PROPAGATION PRODUCTS MARKET 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 71
- CHART 33: WATERING AND PROPAGATION PRODUCTS PRODUCT MIX, 2017 - % BY VALUE 72
- CHART 34: CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES MARKET, 2017 - % BY VALUE 73
- CHART 35: UK MARKET FOR GARDEN BUILDINGS (CONSERVATORIES, SHEDS, GREENHOUSES, GARDEN ROOMS, ETC) 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 74
- CHART 36: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS PRODUCT MIX (CONSERVATORIES, GARDEN ROOMS, SHEDS AND GREENHOUSES) 2017 - % BY VALUE 76
- TABLE 37: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES IN THE GARDEN BUILDING MARKET 2017 - % BY VOLUME 77
- CHART 38: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN EQUIPMENT, 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 78
- CHART 39: PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET (LAWNMOWERS, POWER TOOLS, HAND TOOLS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 80
- CHART 40: CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET (DIY, GARDEN CENTRES, CATALOGUE ETC.) 2017 (% BY VALUE) 82
- CHART 41: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE, 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 83
- CHART 42: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET PRODUCT MIX (FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES) 2017 (% BY VALUE) 84
- TABLE 43: UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR GARDEN LEISURE PRODUCTS 2017 - % BY VALUE 87
- CHART 44: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN CHEMICALS, 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP) 89
- CHART 45: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET PRODUCT MIX (LAWNCARE, GROWING MEDIA, FERTILISERS, CONTROL PRODUCTS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 90
- CHART 46: CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET, 2017 (% BY VALUE) 91
The 'Garden Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.