Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 24/08/2017 / Number of Pages: 82 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 10th edition of the 'Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' includes up to date information on the recent trends and issues affecting the market as well as the market size, key trends and drivers, product mix, key supply organisations, supply chain elements and forecasts for market development over the next few years.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed Assessment of the Market - market sizes, key drivers, factors leading to change, product mixes and product trends etc
- Analysis by Product Group - CareProducts, Toys, Housing, Bedding &Feeding, Collars, Leads & Utility Products.
- Analysis by pet type - dogs, cats, fish & reptiles, small animals and birds.
- Review of supply and distribution structure - company profiles, market structure etc.
- Forecasts of market developments - key trends and future prospects to 2021.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance during 2012-2017 - pet owners' unwillingness to compromise on their pets helps to underpin market.
- Analysis by type of pet - estimated shares held by the different pet types.
- Product group analysis - market size and forecasts 2012-2021, product mixes, mix by type of pets, market influences and trends.
- Review of key suppliers - shares of major players.
- Review of key distribution channels - continued expansion of Pets Superstores, growth of the Internet, Amazon in particular, and impact of discount stores.
- Detailed market data and insight on the pet accessories market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Bob Martin, Armitages Pet Products, Mars Petcare UK, Tolsa UK, RC Hagen , Beaphar (UK), Rosewood, Interpet, Ancol Pet Products, Johnson's Veterinary Products, Bayer (UK), Happy Pet Products, Amazon, Argos, Company of Animals, Petsafe, Pettex, Danish Design, Ferplast, Juwel Aquarium, Oase GmbH, Tetra UK, John Allan Aquariums, Aqua Pacific, Den Marketing, Pet Brands, Merial Animal Health (UK), Sharples 'n' Grant, Eurostitch, Mark & Chappell, RCD, Hartz, Hi-Craft, Eurostitch, John Allan Aquariums, Midas Products, Penn-Plax - Supreme Petfoods, Imac, Pet Products, James Marketing, PetLondon, Kong Company, Animology, SwedenCare UK, FOP Pet Products, Dorwest Herbs, Den Marketing, Wahl, Sicce, Trover Enterprises, Unipac, Blue Ribbon Pet Products, JW Pet Company, Planet Dog, Jolly Pets Inc, Yap Dog, and many more.
- UK pet accessories market - market definition, size, key characteristics of the market, share within the overall pet market.
- Overall market size in value terms from 2012-2017, with forecasts through to 2021.
- Market trends and key market influences including pet ownership levels, types of pet, increasing humanisation of pets and demand for convenience products.
- Estimated shares by type of pet - dogs, cats, small animals, reptile/fish & birds - dominance of dog & cat products, trends etc.
- Identification of key suppliers and distribution channels - continued expansion of Pet Superstores, growth of the Internet, foreign imports and impact of discount stores.
- Estimated shares of main product groups within pet accessories market.
- Product group analysis & review - definition, product mix and market sizes 2012-2017, with forecasts to 2021, mix by type of pets.
- Product sectors - market sector sizes - care products including maintenance, worm/flea treatments, types of cat litter, health supplements and grooming; dog & cat toys & tank accessories; bedding, cages, aquariums/terrariums, hutches, feeding; leads, collars and other products etc.
- Review of products within market - recent trends, future prospects and factors affecting sector.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Profiles of leading manufacturers of pet accessories - fragmented structure, market shares of leading players, company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Supplier shares for bedding & baskets, cat litter and aquariums & other terrariums.
- Review of distribution - estimated channel shares including pet superstores, independent pet stores, grocery multiples, mail order/catalogue/Internet. Impact of changing consumer shopping behaviour and growth of discount stores.
- Review of leading distributors - profiles of key distributors including company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Forecast of market development in the short, medium and long term. Outlook for pet accessories market through to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth - humanisation of pets, pet ownership levels, disposable incomes, product innovation, environmental issues, impact of the Internet on distribution.
Pet accessories is a highly fragmented and competitive market that covers a wide range of product groups including care products, toys, housing, bedding & feeding products, and collars, leads and utility products. The sector is considered to be relatively resilient to economic downturns and has generally experienced flat to marginal growth levels over recent years - a performance which can be considered good in comparison with many other 'home product' markets.
Key influences within the pet accessories market are pet ownership levels, trends in the types of pet owned, a demand for more convenient products and the increasing humanisation of pets, with the latter representing one of the most important reasons for the resilience of the pet accessories market during the difficult economic climate. However, the market for pet accessories remains competitive and lower cost imports are a key feature in some product segments, such as toys.
Some sectors of the market have performed better than others in recent years. Care products are seen by pet owners as essential and have continued to underpin the market. Products for small dogs represent a growth area with rising demand for coats and grooming needs. Toys are a key product in the pet accessories market and have been impacted by the economic downturn with growth having reduced significantly since 2010. Cat litter is a sector that has become polarised between high value high quality products and high volume, value for money products. Aquariums and other vivariums have experienced low level growth due to an increased interest in reptiles as pets.
Future prospects for pet accessories are relatively bright and the market is forecast to experience steady but modest growth rates until 2021. Factors expected to help underpin the market include demand for convenience, eco-friendliness and aesthetics, product innovation, and pet needs seen as essential by owners. The gradual shift towards smaller houses and gardens may, however, restrict higher levels of growth in pet ownership in the longer term or a change in the types of pet owned.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. MARKET OVERVIEW 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET BACKGROUND 19
- 4.2.1 Overall Pet Market 19
- 4.2.2 Product Mix for Overall Pet market 21
- 4.3 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET SIZE 23
- 4.4 CURRENT SITUATION 24
- 4.5 MARKET PROSPECTS 27
- 4.6 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 28
- 4.6.1 Pet Ownership Levels 28
- 4.6.2 The Animal Welfare Act 30
- 4.7 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET BY TYPE OF PET 30
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 32
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 32
- 5.2 CARE PRODUCTS 33
- 5.2.1 Maintenance Products 35
- 5.2.2 Flea and Worm Treatments 39
- 5.2.3 Healthcare Supplements 45
- 5.2.4 Grooming Equipment 46
- 5.3 TOYS 47
- 5.3.1 Dog Toys 48
- 5.3.2 Cat Toys 50
- 5.3.3 Reptile and Fish Decorative Products 51
- 5.3.4 Small Animal Toys 51
- 5.3.5 Toys for Birds 52
- 5.4 HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS 52
- 5.4.1 Aquariums and Other Vivarium 56
- 5.4.2 Cages 57
- 5.4.3 Beds and Baskets 59
- 5.4.4 Hutches 60
- 5.4.5 Feeding Equipment 60
- 5.5 COLLARS, LEADS AND UTILITY PRODUCTS 62
- 5.5.1 Leads and Collars 63
- 5.5.2 Muzzles and Harnesses 63
- 5.5.3 Utility Products 64
- 5.6 OTHER PRODUCTS 64
- 6. SUPPLIERS 66
- 6.1 SUPPLIER OVERVIEW 66
- 6.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 67
- 6.3 SUPPLIERS WITHIN SPECIFIC MARKET SECTORS 71
- 6.3.1 Bedding & Baskets Suppliers 71
- 6.3.2 Cat Litter Suppliers 72
- 6.3.3 Aquarium and Vivarium Suppliers 73
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 74
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL MIX 74
- 7.2 PET SUPERSTORES 76
- 7.3 INDEPENDENT PET SHOPS 77
- 7.4 MAIL ORDER, CATALOGUE AND INTERNET 78
- 7.5 GROCERY MULTIPLES 79
- 7.6 OTHERS 79
- 7.7 GARDEN AND AQUATIC CENTRES 80
- 7.8 DIY MULTIPLES, INDEPENDENT HARDWARE & DIY STORES 80
- 7.9 WHOLESALERS 81
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: TOTAL UK PET MARKET 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£BN RSP) 20
- CHART 7: OVERALL PET MARKET PRODUCT MARKET MIX (FOOD, ACCESSORIES, VETS/INSURANCE ETC) 2016 - % BY VALUE 22
- TABLE 8: UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 24
- CHART 9: PET OWNERSHIP IN THE UK (CATS, DOGS, INDOOR FISH, RABBITS, HAMSTERS, DOMESTIC FOWL, GUINEA PIGS, REPTILES) 2016-17 - % OF HOUSEHOLDS 28
- CHART 10: THE UK'S TOP EIGHT PETS (EXCLUDING FISH) 2016-17 - BY NUMBER OF PETS (MILLIONS) 29
- CHART 11: PET ACCESSORIES MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF ANIMAL (DOGS, CATS, FISH/REPTILES, SMALL ANIMALS, BIRDS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 31
- CHART 12: PET ACCESSORIES MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 32
- TABLE 13: MARKET SIZE OF UK CARE PRODUCTS MARKET 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 33
- CHART 14: MARKET SHARE OF CARE PRODUCTS BY TYPE OF PET 2017- % BY VALUE 34
- CHART 15: CARE PRODUCTS MIX (FLEA/WORM TREATMENTS, MAINTENANCE, HEALTH TREATMENTS, GROOMING) 2017 - % BY VALUE 2017 34
- CHART 16: TYPE OF CAT LITTER (ECO-LITTERS AND 'OTHERS') 2017 -% BY VALUE 36
- CHART 17: ANIMAL MEDICINE SALES BY TYPE OF ANIMAL (COMPANION ANIMALS, FOOD PRODUCING ANIMALS, OTHER) 2016 - % BY VALUE 40
- TABLE 18: TYPES OF FLEA TREATMENT (DROPS, COLLARS, SPRAYS, SHAMPOOS, OTHERS)2017 - % BY VALUE 2017 41
- CHART 19: TYPE OF WORM TREATMENTS (TABLETS, GRANULES, OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 43
- TABLE 20: UK PET TOYS MARKET 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 47
- CHART 21: MARKET SHARE OF TOYS BY TYPE OF PET (CAT, DOG, REPTILE/FISH, SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD) 2017 - % BY VALUE 48
- TABLE 22: UK HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS MARKET 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 53
- CHART 23: HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS BY TYPE OF PET (SMALL ANIMAL, DOG, CAT, REPTILE/FISH, BIRD) 2017 - % BY VALUE 54
- CHART 24: PRODUCT MIX HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING(CAGES, AQUARIUMS, BEDDING/BASKETS, HUTCHES ETC) 2017 - % BY VALUE 55
- TABLE 26: MIX OF AQUARIUMS AND OTHER VIVARIUM 2008-2016 - % BY VALUE 56
- TABLE 25: PRODUCT MIX OF CAGES BY TYPE (SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD & OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 2016 58
- TABLE 27: UK MARKET FOR COLLARS, LEADS & UTILITY PRODUCTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 62
- TABLE 28: MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR SUPPLIERS - 2016 BY VALUE 67
- TABLE 29: LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE BEDDING & BASKETS SECTOR 2017 - % BY VALUE 71
- TABLE 30: LEADING SUPPLIERS OF CAT LITTER 2017 - % BY VALUE 72
- TABLE 31: LEADING SUPPLIERS OF AQUARIUM/VIVARIUM 2017 - % BY VALUE 73
- CHART 32: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR PET ACCESSORY PRODUCTS IN 2016-17 % BY VALUE 75
The 'Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.