Powered Access Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 19/09/2017 / Number of Pages: 52 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The first edition of the 'Powered Access Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2017-2021' reviews the key trends and factors influencing the hire market for powered access equipment. The report also provides an insight into the market's distribution structure and reviews the major suppliers. The report covers the hire market for mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), including the following product sectors: Scissor lifts, boom lifts, spider lifts, vehicle (truck and van) & trailer mounted platforms and personnel lifts/vertical masts.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - market sizes, key drivers, key influencing trends, product mixes and product trends etc.
- Analysis by product group - scissor lifts, boom lifts, spider lifts, vertical masts/personnel lifts, vehicle mounted lifts and trailer lifts.
- Analysis of key influencing factors and overall trends in other hire sectors, e.g. construction equipment hire, plant hire.
- Review of powered access equipment hire companies.
- Forecasts of market developments to 2021.
Key areas of insight include:
- Factors influencing growth in the powered access equipment hire market - rise in residential construction, retail trends, warehousing sector, impact of government regulations, technological developments, etc.
- The importance of the hire market as part of the overall supply chain for MEWPs in the UK.
- Market size by value 2012-2016 and forecasts to 2021.
- The performance of the overall construction sector and key end-use sectors, along with key influences such as the impact of the EU withdrawal, the value of Sterling, reduced consumer and investor confidence, shortage of skilled workers, etc.
- Trends in the powered access equipment hire market - levels of oversupply, product developments and product mix of powered access hire equipment by volume and value.
- Detailed market data and insight on the access equipment market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Nationwide Platforms, AFI-Uplift, Height for Hire Limited, Loxam Access, HSS Hire Group, A-Plant, Speedy Hire, MEP Hire, Charles Wilson Engineers, Smiths Equipment Hire, Brandon Hire, Travis Perkins, Selco, Plantfinder, Kimberly Rental Group, JMS Plant Hire, GT Access, Horizon Platforms, Lifterz, Facelift, Riwal, Access Hire Nationwide, Elavation, Star Platforms, Platform Sales & Hire, Prolift Access, Advanced Access Platforms, Access Plus, Mainline Access, Mr Plant Hire, Smiths Equipment Hire, Premier Platforms, Neon Hire Services, Hird, KDM Hire, etc.
The UK Powered Access Equipment Market
- Total powered access equipment hire market - analysis of size by value 2012 -2016, drivers for change, trends, sector mix changes, estimates of market volume 2012-2016 by area, historical trends and market characteristics.
- Analysis by major product sectors - scissor lifts, boom lifts, spider lifts, vertical masts/personnel lifts, vehicle mounted lifts and trailer lifts - current shares and mix, driving factors, market prospects.
- Key end use sectors, residential and non-residential construction and RMI trends, legislation, trends in other hire sectors, e.g. construction equipment rental, plant hire.
- Market prospects - forecasts of overall market performance in 2017-21.
Product Sector Analysis
- Overview of key products and shares - a review of the developments within each of these product sectors, market size and share accounted for by each product type.• Scissor lifts - Market size by number of units and market size by value. Key product trends and supply trends in this sector.
- Boom lifts - Market size by number of units and market size by value, product and technological trends and suppliers.
- Spider lifts - Market size by number of units and market size by value. Product trends, end-use sectors, suppliers.
- Vertical masts/personnel lifts - Market size, product trends, end-use sectors.
- Vehicle mounted (including van mounted and truck mounted) - market size by number of units and market size by value, product and technological trends, end-use sectors, suppliers.
- Trailer mounted - market size and key suppliers.
Supply and Distribution
- Overview of market structure - market breakdown between specialist companies and general plant & tool hire companies, recent acquisitions within the market, etc.
- Supplier market shares - leading powered access equipment hire companies with market share by value.
- Profiles of leading suppliers - company overview, turnover, number of locations, fleet characteristics, etc.
From 2012-2016, the UK powered access equipment hire market has seen reasonable growth, sustained by the buoyancy of the construction market and by the recovery in manufacturing industry. This growth is forecast to continue at a modest rate until 2021. The powered access equipment hire market is influenced by the relative health of key end-use sectors, principally new build construction and infrastructure but also other sectors such as manufacturing, warehousing and the events industry.
However, growth has been inhibited by a persistent tendency for oversupply, with new companies entering the market and existing companies expanding their fleets, leading to downward pressure on rental rates. Consequently, the hire market has grown significantly slower than powered access equipment manufacturers' sales.
In terms of market trends, the mix of product types in the powered access hire market has changed somewhat in recent years with demand for low level access products, including small scissor lifts and vertical masts, growing more than for medium height access products. This has been driven by the shift from non-powered to powered access in this segment of the market. The market has also seen a significant expansion in the number of spider lifts in the UK fleet; though still limited in numbers, their high rental value makes them an important niche market. New product developments in powered access equipment is adding value to the hire market: recent developments have been in the area of telematics, to improve safety and to improve equipment efficiency. Legislation is an important driver of fleet renewal and legislation in the area of engine emissions is currently the main focus of concern for powered access equipment hire companies. The focus on electric and hybrid-powered equipment has increased as a result.
Looking forward, prospects for the construction industry, which remains the key influence on the powered access equipment hire market, is for low level growth in the medium term. Specific sectors that offer growth prospects for the powered access hire market include warehousing, triggered by the continued growth of internet shopping, the telecoms sector, where access equipment is used to install, repair and service telecoms masts, and the events industry, which is being boosted by the promotion of the UK as a venue for major sporting and music events and a visitor destination, a drive that is being supported by the weaker pound. However, depressed rental rates remain the major concern within the hire sector, and there is little expectation within the industry that this will change in the near future, due to the level of oversupply and competition within the market.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS AND STRUCTURE 18
- 4.2.1 Overall Trends in the Access Equipment Market 20
- 4.3 UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 21
- 4.3.1 Background and Recent Performance 21
- 4.3.2 Product Mix 22
- 4.3.3 Market Prospects 23
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES & END-USER SECTORS 24
- 4.4.1 Construction Market 24
- 4.4.2 Infrastructure (Utilities, Transport) 26
- 4.4.3 Industrial 294.4.4 Event Equipment Hire 30
- 4.4.5 Construction Equipment Hire Market 33
- 4.4.6 Plant Hire Market 35
- 4.4.7 Legislation 36
- 4.4.8 Technological Developments 38
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 39
- 5.1 OVERVIEW OF PRODUCT MIX 39
- 5.2 PRODUCT TYPES 41
- 5.2.1 Scissor Lifts 41
- 5.2.2 Boom Lifts 42
- 5.2.3 Spider Lifts 43
- 5.2.4 Vertical masts/Personnel lifts 43
- 5.2.5 Vehicle mounted lifts (van-mounted, truck mounted) 44
- 5.2.6 Trailer Lifts 44
- 6. POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE COMPANIES 45
- 6.1 OVERVIEW OF MARKET STRUCTURE 45
- 6.2 SUPPLIER MARKET SHARES 46
- 6.3 SUPPLIER PROFILES 47
- 6.3.1 Powered Access Hire 47
- 6.3.2 Plant and Tool Hire Companies 51
- 6.3.3 Builders and Plumbers Merchants 52
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET SIZE BY VALUE (£M AT HIRE MARKET PRICES) AND % CHANGE 2012 - 2021 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 20
- TABLE 7: UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 2012-2016 BY HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 21
- TABLE 8: UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET - PRODUCT MIX 2016 BY VOLUME AND HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 23
- CHART 9: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2012 -2021 25
- TABLE 10: RESIDENTIAL AND NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI) GREAT BRITAIN 2012 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 26
- CHART 11: INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 27
- CHART 12: UK INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY END-USE SECTOR % SHARE BY VALUE 2016 28
- CHART 13: INDUSTRIAL CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012 TO 2021 29
- CHART 14: UK EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 2014-2019 (£M) 31
- TABLE 15: UK CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014-2019 34
- TABLE 16: UK PLANT HIRE MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014-2019 36
- CHART 17: UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE FLEET (SCISSORS, BOOMS. TRAILER MOUNTED, VEHICLE MOUNTED ETC) - MIX BY NUMBER OF UNITS 2016 39
- CHART 18: UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET (SCISSORS, BOOMS. TRAILER MOUNTED, VEHICLE MOUNTED ETC) - MIX BY VALUE 41
- CHART 19: UK POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET - SIZE AND STRUCTURE 45
- TABLE 20: LEADING POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT HIRE COMPANIES: ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 46
The 'Powered Access Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.