Wetroom Market Report – UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 24/07/2017 / Number of Pages: 69 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 2nd edition of the 'Wetroom Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' comprises a detailed study of this dynamic market. It analyses the current trends by product sector and includes estimates on installations of wetrooms in terms of volume and value, comment on market prospects and implications for manufacturers and the industry as a whole.
Key aspects covered in the report include:
- Analysis of market performance for 2017 and forecasts to 2021.
- Key demand drivers and market influences.
- Wetroom flooring - floor formers, level access trays.
- Waterproof tanking kits - membrane systems, liquid tanking systems etc.
- Drainage products - drains/gullies, shower drainage pumps etc.
- Glass wetroom panels - free-standing, wall-mounted, frameless etc.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Forecasts to 2021 for the wetroom market - the outlook is for good demand for wetroom products.
- Wetrooms are highly versatile - there are products available which are suitable for most floor types, for installation in any room, they also offer a practical solution where 'easy access' is required.
- Product innovations have resulted in quicker installation times, with minimal chance of leakage; prices have also fallen.
- Many major house builders are installing a wetroom in their upmarket properties to 'add value' and increase the level of 'designer' features. Also housing associations are installing wetrooms to enable inclusive use of the shower room.
- Wetroom growth has been good in other building types e.g. hotels, leisure facilities, care homes and hospitals, key drivers being easy access, space efficiency underpinned by changing demographics.
- Detailed market data and insight on the wetroom market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:-
Abacus Bathrooms, Able Access UK, Absolute Mobility, ACO Building Drainage, AKW Medicare, Aqata, Aqualux, Autumn UK, B & Q, Bathroom Engineering, Bathstore, Bette GmbH & Co., Better Bathrooms, Care in bathing, Chiltern Invadex UK, CCL Wetrooms, Contour Showers, Coram Showers, Dallmer, Disability Needs, Easibathe, F&P Wholesale, Fetim Group, Flair Showers, Frontline Bathrooms, Geberit UK, Grafton Group, Graham, Harmer Building Drainage, Heat and Plumb, Homebase, Hüppe, Ideal Bathrooms, Ideal Standard UK, Impey Showers, Just Trays, Kaldewei, Kermi UK, Kingkraft, Kohler Mira, Kudos Shower Products, Lakes Bathrooms, Marleton Cross, Marmox UK, Matki, McAlpine, Merlyn Industries UK, N&C Phlexicare, Nationwide Mobility, Neaco, Nicholls & Clarke, Novellini, Online Home Retail, On The Level (Showers), PJH Group, Plumbnation, Porcelanosa UK, Practical Bathing, Premier Care, Pump Technology, Purus UK, Regalcare Showertrays, RIW, Robert Lee Distribution, Roman, Saint-Gobain Group, Saniflo, Schlüter-Systems UK, Showerlux, Simpsons Shower Enclosures, Soak.com, Travis Perkins, Ultra Finishing, Unidrain, VictoriaPlum.com, Victorian Plumbing, Wade International, Wedi, Wetroom Innovations, Wetroom Materials UK, Wetrooms Online, Whale Pumps, Wickes, Wirquin, Wolseley Group
Market Overview & Product Trends
- Overall market size by value, rates of change, key trends and factors of influence, estimates of market size in 2017, forecasts through to 2021.
- Shower market trends - household penetration of showers; mix of new build, new penetration, replacement and additional showers; new build trends and influences; RMI trends and influences.
- Demographic trends - ageing population, proportion of elderly people living alone, life expectancy trends, disability-free life expectancy, multigenerational households etc.
- Other influences - including care in the community, increase in the Disabled Facilities Grant programme provision, 'Lifetime Homes' standard, simplified housing standards including age friendly housing and wheelchair user housing.
- Design and installation - 'open plan' living, minimalism, inclusive design, gradient, drainage, waterproofing, etc.
- Overall product mix - floor formers, trays, tanking kits, drainage products etc by value and share.
- Floor formers and level access trays - key design trends, developments, influences etc.
- Waterproof tanking kits - membrane tanking, liquid tanking; trends, developments etc.
- Drainage products - square, linear, wall-mounted drains, shower drainage pumps etc.
- Glass wetroom panels - free-standing, wall-mounted, frame-less, trends and influences etc.
- Mix by type of installation - refurbishment and new build, residential and commercial.
- Housebuilding - Private starts and completions, installations in new build homes, refurbishment trends, wetroom household penetration etc. Social housing - completions, forecasts, Disabled Facility Grant provision etc.
- Specialised housing, care homes - trends and forecasts, Care and Support Specialised Housing Fund etc.
- Overview of non-domestic sector - health, entertainment and leisure; trends and forecasts. Others include hotels, health & fitness clubs - budget sector, boutique hotels, aparthotels; installations and trends.
Supply & Distribution
- Market shares of leading wetroom product manufacturers.
- Review and analysis of leading suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key product areas etc.
- Summary of 50+ other specialist suppliers.
- Distribution structure - direct sales, merchants/distributors, other chains of supply.
- Analysis of key channels and suppliers including: Direct sales - key specialists who supply direct, services offered; Merchants/distributors - key players, brands supplied etc; other channels - Bathroom specialists, DIY multiples, specialist online retailers.
- Forecast of market development - short & medium term prospects up to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding, non-domestic construction, consumer confidence & spending, lifestyle and design trends.
The value of the wetrooms market has increased by 10% from 2014-2016 and offer significant growth potential in the UK bathroom market. Demand for wetrooms has increased significantly in recent years and they continue to grow in popularity. As an open-plan alternative to the traditional bathroom, they provide a space-saving and design-led solution that is regarded as a luxurious and accessible feature in the home.
The floor formers and level access trays sector dominates the wetroom market in terms of value, followed by waterproof tanking kits, glass wetroom panels and drainage products. Product developments include pre-moulded wetroom floor formers with a built-in gradient and membrane waterproof tanking systems. These are easier to install and provide greater accuracy, and also ensure there is a minimal chance of error, saving a significant amount of installation time.
Developments in the drainage products sector include wall mounted and linear drains for a seamless finish and digital drainage pumps that operate wirelessly when the shower is turned on. Glass frameless wetroom panels have seen good growth. They add a bespoke solution to a wetroom area, acting as a focal point and give the room a unique character. They are also popular as they can 'zone' the wetroom, creating a wet and dry area.
Moderate growth of 3-5% per annum is currently forecast to 2021, in value terms, representing an increase of 18% when compared to the market size in 2017. Prospects remain positive in the housebuilding sector and will support demand for wetroom products installed in new housing. Demand for prefabricated wetroom PODs is likely to show some growth, given the significant advantages they offer, particularly in terms of quality of finish, speed of construction and a reduction of trades on-site, with wetroom products also likely to receive underlying motivation from growth in the self-build market.
List of Report Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK WETROOM MARKET 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 20
- 4.2.1 Market Size 20
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 21
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 22
- 4.3.1 Shower Market 22
- 4.3.2 Demographic Influences 25
- 4.3.3 Housing Standards 30
- 4.3.4 Underfloor Heating Market 31
- 4.3.5 Self-build Market 32
- 4.3.6 New Building Methods 33
- 4.3.7 Interior Design 33
- 5. PRODUCTS 35
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 35
- 5.2 INSTALLATION ISSUES 36
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 36
- 5.3.1 Floor Formers and Level Access Trays 36
- 5.3.2 Waterproof Tanking Kits 39
- 5.3.3 Drainage Products 40
- 5.3.4 Glass Wetroom Panels 42
- 6. END USE SECTORS 44
- 6.1 SECTOR OVERVIEW 44
- 6.2 KEY END USE SECTORS 44
- 6.2.1 Private Housing 44
- 6.2.2 Social Housing 46
- 6.2.3 Specialised Housing 47
- 6.2.4 Care Homes 48
- 6.2.5 Hotels and Guest Houses 49
- 6.2.6 Fitness Clubs and Gyms 51
- 6.3 NON DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION 52
- 6.3.1 Overview 52
- 6.3.2 Health Sector 55
- 6.3.3 Entertainment and Leisure 56
- 7. SUPPLIERS 57
- 7.1 MARKET SHARES 57
- 7.2 KEY SUPPLIERS 57
- 7.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 58
- 8. DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY CHAIN 63
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 63
- 8.2 DIRECT SALES 63
- 8.3 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 64
- 8.4 DISTRIBUTORS 65
- 8.5 DIY MULTIPLES 65
- 8.6 BATHROOM RETAILERS 66
- 8.7 ONLINE RETAILERS 66
- 9. INSTALLATION AND SPECIFICATION 68
- 9.1 INSTALLATION 68
- 9.2 SPECIFICATION 68
- 9.2.1 Refurbishment 68
- 9.2.2 New Build 69
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK WETROOM MARKET BY VALUE AND FORECASTS (£M MSP) 2012-2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK WETROOM MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012 -2021 20
- CHART 7: UK SHOWERS CONTROLS MARKET % HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION 1998 -2018 23
- CHART 8: UK SHOWER MARKET - % MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION 2016 24
- CHART 9: BATHROOM ADAPTATIONS MOST COMMONLY REQUIRED BY HOUSEHOLDS 2016 25
- CHART 10: UK POPULATION IN 65+ AGE CATEGORY - 1985, 2016 AND 2039 26
- CHART 11: LIFE EXPECTANCY AND DISABILITY FREE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH 2013-15 27
- CHART 12: UK MULTI-GENERATIONAL HOUSEHOLDS 2005-2015 BY VOLUME (000S) 29
- CHART 13: UK YOUNG ADULTS AGE 15-34 LIVING WITH PARENTS 1996-2016 30
- TABLE 14: UK ELECTRIC UFH MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2015-2019 31
- CHART 15: UK WETROOM MARKET- % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2016 35
- TABLE 16: UK WETROOM MARKET BY PRODUCT CATEGORY 2016 (£M MSP) 36
- CHART 17: UK WETROOM MARKET VOLUME MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION 2016 44
- TABLE 18: PRIVATE HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 45
- TABLE 19: PUBLIC HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 46
- TABLE 20: SPECIALISED HOUSING - DEVELOPMENTS BY REGION 2015 48
- CHART 21: NUMBER OF CARE HOME RESIDENTS 2002 - 2016 ('000S) 49
- CHART 22: GROWTH OF THE UK BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR 1995 TO 2016 - BY NUMBER OF ROOMS 50
- CHART 23: HEALTH & FITNESS MARKET - NEW CLUB OPENINGS 2008 - 2015 52
- CHART 24: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI BY VALUE 2012 - 2021 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) GB 53
- CHART 25: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2015 AND 2017 - % BY VALUE GB 54
- CHART 26: HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 55
- CHART 27: ENTERTAINMENT AND LEISURE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 56
- TABLE 28: WETROOM SUPPLIERS - % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2016 57
- CHART 29: UK WETROOM MARKET - % CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2016 63
The 'Wetroom Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .