Wall Cladding Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 04/09/2018 / Number of Pages: 87 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 11th edition of the 'Wall Cladding Market Report - UK 2018-2022' analyses recent trends in demand and supply of major cladding products and systems, and include our thoughts on the prospects for future development, with forecasts through to 2022.
Key products covered in the report
- Profiled sheets & composite panels
- Rainscreen cladding
- Curtain wall and structural glazing
- External wall insulation systems
- Cast stone panels
- Facing clay and concrete bricks
- Other e.g. timber and precast concrete panels
Areas of particular interest
- Total wall cladding market 2013-2017 - market trends by area installed, with key market drivers.
- Forecasts for wall cladding market by area installed 2018-2022 and underlying factors e.g. outcomes of investigations into the Grenfell Tower fire, higher insurance premiums, review of Building Regulations; 'Brexit' negotiations; skills shortages.
- Product mix - 'headline' level by main types of cladding by area installed 2017.
- Analysis of key product / material groups in terms of area installed and value. Split by material types where appropriate, variations in performance. Market size and mix by value.
- Market forecasts for key product sectors up to 2022.
- Review of key end use sectors & distribution channels.
- Leading suppliers and market share estimates in the key product / material sectors.
- Supplier reviews by key product types.
Some of the companies included:
Acheson and Glover, Aggregate Industries, All About Bricks, A. Steadman & Son, Besblock, Booth Muirie, Brickability, CA Building Products, CGL Facades, Cladco Profiles, Coverworld UK, EDM Spanwall, Euro Clad, Euroform Products, Felix UK, FGF, Firth Steels, Focchi, Forticrete, Forterra Building Products, GreCon UK, Hadley Group's, Ibstock Brick, Interfuse, James & Taylor, Kingspan Insulated Panels (KIP), Lignacite, Lindner Facades, Mero-Schmidlin (UK) PLC, Metallbau Früh UK, Michelmersh Brick Holdings, Multipanel UK, Persimmon's, Plasmor, Plean Precast, Procter Cast Stone, PSP Architectural, Raeburn Brick, Schneider GB, Seele UK, Shackerley (Holdings), SIG Zinc and Copper, Structal UK, Tarmac Topblock, Tata Steel Building Systems UK, T & T Facades, Taylor Maxwell Group, Techrete (UK), Telling Architectural, TI Tiles International, Vivalda Group Plc, Wienerberger UK, Yuanda UK and more..
- Market size & trends by area installed 2014-2022 - trends in UK production & deliveries and key drivers.
- Market mixes by application 2017 e.g. new housing, domestic RMI, commercial.
- Supply & distribution - distribution mix by value 2017; manufacturers market shares 2017; supplier reviews.
FORMED METAL SYSTEMS
- Market size for steel & aluminium wall cladding panels & trends by area installed 2013-2022 - key drivers e.g. increased demand for warehousing, data centres, leisure facilities. Market value 2017.
- Market mixes by area 2017 - for composite panels by application, for profiled metal sheets by application.
- Supplier review - manufacturers market shares 2017; supplier reviews.
RAINSCREEN CLADDING SYSTEMS
- Market size for rainscreen cladding by area installed 2013-2022 - key drivers e.g. demand for re-cladding, energy efficiency programmes, rain protection, expanding range of façade options. Market value 2017.
- Market mixes by area 2017 - by façade materials. Key manufacturers.
- Supplier review - distributors /fabricators reviews.
EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION SYSTEMS AND RENDERS
- Market sizes for external wall insulation 2011-2017 (ECO retrofit) and for rendered block by area installed 2013-2022.
- Market mixes by area 2017 - for rendered blockwork by area.
- Supplier review.
CURTAIN WALL SYSTEMS (INCLUDING STRUCTURAL GLAZING)
- Market size for curtain wall by area installed 2013-2022 - key drivers e.g. high-rise office and residential tower newbuild.
- Market mixes - by average contract size 2017.
- Supplier review - systems companies market shares & reviews 2017.
CAST STONE PANELS
- Market size for cast stone panels by area installed 2013-2022 - key drivers e.g. demand for new housing.
- Market mixes by area 2017 - for composite panels by application, for profiled metal sheets by application.
- Supplier review - manufacturers market shares 2017.
The UK market for wall cladding has grown modestly over the last 2-3 years, reflecting an overall residential construction market which has increased modestly, therefore driving growth in facing bricks, alongside minor growth in the non-residential sector across the same period. The key driver here has been the growth in demand for facing bricks on housing, particularly on higher value detached houses. Since 2013, housebuilding output has risen sharply. To a lesser extent there has also been steady growth in demand for other materials used to clad houses such as rendered blockwork and cast stone. However, in the residential retrofit sub-sector, there has been a decline in the installation of external wall insulation due to the ending of the CERT programme, which was the main source of grant support for EWI installation. Although the subsequent ECO programme provided funding it has been much more limited in scope and take-up.
In the commercial and industrial sector, new work and RMI output has increased a significant amount from 2013-2017. With regards to cladding, the largest product category used is steel and aluminium profiled and composite panels, the main applications being warehousing /distribution centres, data centres, sports & leisure facilities and manufacturing /R & D facilities. Over the review period, all sectors have experienced steady growth in construction output. While demand for profiled and composite panels has been steady, rainscreen cladding systems have arguably been the fastest growing product sector since 2013, estimated to have almost quadrupled in terms of area installed. To date the main area of application has been offices, although more recently there has been strong demand for use on residential towers.
Other than the state of the general economy and issues emanating from the 'Brexit' negotiations, it is the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017 that could have the greatest impact on the cladding market. A possible ban on the use of combustible materials on buildings over 18 metres tall may well depress demand for cladding systems comprising rigid polymer insulation while benefitting those classified as A1 under Euroclass definitions e.g. stone and glass wool, concrete and fibre cement. Forecasts for lower economic growth from 2018 are mainly driven by uncertainty following the 'Brexit' referendum. Although modest annual growth levels are currently forecast to 2020, the medium-term outlook will be dependent upon the path taken to exit the EU and the type of trade and legislative deals formulated.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY 8
- 2.1 MARKET BACKGROUND 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE UK WALL CLADDING MARKET 17
- 4.1 DEFINITIONS 17
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 18
- 4.2.1 Current Market Situation 18
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 19
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX OVERVIEW 21
- 4.4 KEY MARKET FACTORS 22
- 4.4.1 Non-Residential Construction 22
- 4.4.2 Non-Residential Construction 23
- 4.4.3 Housebuilding 29
- 4.4.4 Fire Safety Issues 32
- 4.4.5 Insurance 34
- 4.4.6 Skills Shortages 34
- 4.4.7 Building Regulations 35
- 4.4.8 Procurement and Specification Issues 37
- 4.4.9 Sustainability issues 37
- 5. FACING BRICKS 39
- 5.1 INTRODUCTION AND DEFINITIONS 39
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 39
- 5.2.1 Market Volumes 39
- 5.2.2 Production and Deliveries 41
- 5.3 MARKET MIXES 41
- 5.4 DISTRIBUTION MIX 42
- 5.4.1 Supply Chain Share 42
- 5.4.2 Manufacturers and Other Suppliers 43
- 6. FORMED METAL SYSTEMS 47
- 6.1 DEFINITION 47
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 47
- 6.2.1 Warehousing 49
- 6.2.2 Data centres 49
- 6.2.3 Education Establishments, Sports & Leisure facilities 51
- 6.3 MARKET MIXES 52
- 6.3.1 Composite Cladding Panels 52
- 6.3.2 Profiled Metal Sheet, Twin Skin /Built-Up Cladding Panels 53
- 6.4 MAIN SUPPLIERS 54
- 7. RAINSCREEN CLADDING 57
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION 57
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 57
- 7.3 FAÇADE MATERIALS 58
- 7.3.1 Metals / Metal Composite Panels 59
- 7.3.2 High Pressure Laminate Sheets 60
- 7.3.3 Fibre Cement Sheets 61
- 7.3.4 Wood and Mineral Composite Boards 61
- 7.3.5 Natural / Ceramic Stone 61
- 7.3.6 Terracotta Panels 62
- 7.4 RAINSCREEN SYSTEM DISTRIBUTORS AND FABRICATORS 62
- 8. EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION AND RENDERS 65
- 8.1 INTRODUCTION AND DEFINITIONS 65
- 8.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 65
- 8.2.1 External Wall Insulation (EWI) Systems 65
- 8.2.2 Rendered Blockwork 67
- 8.2.3 Pebbledash and Roughcast Render 69
- 8.3 SUPPLIERS 69
- 9. CURTAIN WALL AND STRUCTURAL GLAZING 72
- 9.1 INTRODUCTION 72
- 9.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 73
- 9.3 MARKET MIXES 74
- 9.4 SUPPLY 75
- 9.4.1 Systems Companies 75
- 9.4.2 Systems Fabricators - Installers 77
- 9.4.3 Turnkey Contractors 78
- 10. CAST STONE PANELS 81
- 10.1 INTRODUCTION AND DEFINITIONS 81
- 10.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 81
- 10.3 SUPPLY 82
- 11. OTHER 84
- 11.1 TIMBER 84
- 11.2 PRECAST CONCRETE PANELS 86
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK TOTAL WALL CLADDING MARKET AREA INSTALLED MILLION M2 2013-2022 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: UK TOTAL WALL CLADDING MARKET AREA INSTALLED MILLION M2 2013-2022 18
- CHART 7: UK WALL CLADDING MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE BY AREA INSTALLED (BRICKS, METAL PANELS, RENDER SYSTEMS, CURTAIN WALL, ETC) BY AREA INSTALLED 2017 21
- CHART 8: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013 -2022 23
- CHART 9: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013-2022 24
- CHART 10: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR % BY VALUE GB 2017 AND 2022 FORECAST 25
- CHART 11: UK OFFICE STOCK BY REGIONAL BY GIFA 26
- CHART 12: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - SHARE OF REVENUE BY SECTOR - FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC. 28
- CHART 13: RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013-2022 29
- TABLE 14: GB HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS ('000) 2013 - 2022 30
- TABLE 15: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS MIX BY TYPE (HOUSE & FLATS) AND BY NUMBER OF BEDROOMS IN ENGLAND 2011/12 TO 2016/17 - % OF DWELLINGS 31
- TABLE 16: TRADES AND NUMBER IN EMPLOYMENT 2010-2016. 35
- TABLE 17: UK MARKET FOR FACING BRICKS BY AREA INSTALLED 2014-2022 40
- TABLE 18: BRICKS UK PRODUCTION, DELIVERIES AND STOCKS BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS) 2012 TO 2017 41
- CHART 19: UK MARKET FOR FACING BRICKS BY END USE SECTOR (NEW BUILD HOUSING, HOUSING RMI, INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL & PUBLIC SECTOR NEW BUILD) - % BY AREA INSTALLED 2017 42
- CHART 20: UK DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR CLAY BRICKS - % BY VALUE 2017 43
- CHART 21: UK BRICK MANUFACTURERS MARKET SHARES 2017 44
- CHART 22: UK MARKET FOR STEEL & ALUMINIUM WALL CLADDING PANELS 2013-2022 48
- CHART 23: UK WAREHOUSING CONSTRUCTION - CONTRACTORS OUTPUT £M 2013-2018 49
- CHART 24: UK MARKET FOR DATA CENTRE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEWBUILD, REFURBISHMENT, RMI) BY VALUE (£MILLION) 2013 -2022 50
- CHART 25: SPORTS FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT £M 2011 -2021 51
- CHART 26: UK MARKET FOR COMPOSITE WALL PANELS - END USE APPLICATION MIX 53
- CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR BUILT UP PROFILED CLADDING SYSTEMS - ESTIMATED END USE MIX (COMMERCIAL / INDUSTRIAL, NEW BUILD / RMI) BY AREA INSTALLED 54
- CHART 28: UK RAINSCREEN CLADDING BY AREA INSTALLED 2013-2022 57
- CHART 29: RAINSCREEN CLADDING FACADES BY MATERIAL BY AREA INSTALLED 59
- TABLE 30: TOTAL SOLID WALL INSULATION - NUMBER OF MEASURES INSTALLED UNDER ECO 2013 - 2017 66
- TABLE 31: GB ECO RETROFIT MARKET FOR SOLID WALL INSULATION 2011 - 2017 66
- TABLE 32: UK MARKET FOR RENDERED BLOCK BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2013 -2022 68
- CHART 33: UK MARKET FOR RENDERED BLOCKWORK - TYPICAL END USE MIX BY AREA INSTALLED BY APPLICATION - HOUSING, COMMERCIAL / PUBLIC SECTOR 68
- CHART 34: UK MARKET FOR RENDERED BLOCKWORK - BY ANNUAL AREA INSTALLED BY REGION 69
- CHART 35: UK CURTAIN WALL MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M2) 2013 -2022 73
- CHART 36: UK CURTAIN WALL MARKET BY CONTRACT SIZE 2017 - % BY INSTALLED VALUE 74
- CHART 37: ALUMINIUM GLAZING SYSTEMS - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 75
- TABLE 38: UK MARKET FOR CAST STONE CLADDING PRODUCTS BY AREA INSTALLED 2013 -2022 81
- CHART 39: CAST STONE CLADDING - END USE MIX BY AREA INSTALLED - HOUSING, RESIDENTIAL RMI, COMMERCIAL - NEW BUILD / REFURBISHMENT 2017 82
- CHART 40: UK TIMBER CLADDING MARKET BY AREA INSTALLED 84
- CHART 41: UK TIMBER CLADDING MARKET - END USE MIX BY AREA INSTALLED (COMMERCIAL NEW BUILD, RMI, HOUSING) 85
- CHART 42: PRECAST CONCRETE CLADDING PANELS -TYPICAL END USE MIX BY AREA INSTALLED (COMMERCIAL/PUBLIC SECTOR NEW BUILD, RMI, HIGH RISE RESIDENTIAL NEW BUILD) 86
The 'Wall Cladding Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .