Electricity Generating Set Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 02/05/2017 / Number of Pages: 60 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
This report is the 7th edition of the 'Electricity Generating Set Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis'. The Genset market is complex and fragmented in terms of end-use applications and distribution channels, with recent product development being driven by aspects such as noise pollution, engine efficiency and increased power requirement. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market size, structure, key suppliers, key end-use sectors, legislation and directives influencing recent trends.
- Analysis by product group - focus on product groups by rating: up to 75 kVA, > 75 up to 375 kVA and > 375 up to 750 kVA; recent performance, role played by exports, changes to volume and average prices.
- Highly fragmented market - key distribution channels including direct OEM, construction/industrial, marine, plant & tool hire, agents, distributors, specialists etc.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2021 - market size and factors impacting on the market.
Areas of Particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecasts to 2021.
- Legislative factors and increased power demands influencing market development.
- Review of distribution structure.
- Review of key players - product mix and market share estimates.
- End use sector analysis - power needs in different sectors, niche applications - e.g. marine, telecoms, etc.
Some of the companies included:
Aggreko Plc, AJ Power, AKSA International (UK), Allam Marine, AVK/SEG (UK), Briggs & Stratton UK, British Polar Engines, Bruno Generators UK, Caterpillar Inc, CGT, Cummins Power Generation, Dale Power Solutions, Eagle Generators, Edina Power, Finning UK, Generac Mobile Products, Harrington Generators International (HGI), Himoinsa Power Solutions, Honda (UK) Power Equipment, Houchin, Interpower International, JCB Power Products, Lister Petter, Morris Site Machinery, Pramac UK, PowerCo Systems, Power Link Machine (UK) Co, SDMO Energy, Shenton Group, SIP (Industrial Products), TGC International, Turner Group, Vibropower (UK), YorPower, Welland Engineering, Wärtsilä.
- UK market size by value and volume for Electricity Generating Sets (up to 750kVA), 2012-2016.
- Market trends from 2012 - changes to legislation, emissions regulations, increased power needs, growth of hire market, increased demand for trailered gensets, role of UK manufacturing and influence of exports and how these have influenced market growth.
- Forecasts up to 2021 - factors likely to influence market, continuing trends, socio-economic factors etc.
- Assessment of key factors influencing end-use demand - industrial, construction, including construction equipment rental, water and sewage, oil, gas and marine, domestic and leisure etc.
- Review of UK overall production levels impact of the export trade, historical trends, current situation, future prospects etc.
- Analysis of the market by major product sectors, trends and future prospects influences on the development of the generating set market.
- Analysis of the market by generator rating.
- End use applications - mix by end-use sector, trend within each sector - industrial, manufacturing, telecoms, construction, trends in hire market sectors, oil, gas & marine, utilities, domestic and leisure.
Supply and Distribution
- Key distribution channels including direct/OEM, industrial distributors, plant & tool hire, marine, agricultural, e-commerce specialists. Review of major companies within the distribution channels.
- Supply structure - major genset manufacturers market shares, changing supply structure, growing concentration through acquisition. Key suppliers within each product sector.
- Review of key suppliers - characteristics of the major companies in the UK market.
- Review of market influences - levels of industrial and commercial construction, manufacturing output, exchange rate fluctuations, trends in the usage of electricity including lighting, air conditioning etc.
- Trends in major application areas.
- Analysis of future prospects - forecast of market size up to 2013. Key factors influencing forecasts within product and end-use markets.
The UK is a major producer of generator sets. However, a significant proportion of UK manufacturing is subsequently exported, leading to a lower overall value for the UK market. The UK Genset market, up to 750 kVA, was estimated to have grown by 3% in 2016 in value terms. Overall, the generating set market has experienced good growth since 2013, particularly in 2014 and 2015, and was underpinned by factors such as good growth for residential construction, the recovery of the manufacturing sector and continued growth for the data centres sector.
Another factor underpinning demand has been the steadily increasing power requirements of office and commercial buildings to serve IT and AV equipment, lighting, heating, ventilation and air conditioning needs. The increasing incidence of weather related disasters leading to supply interruptions have also led to increasing demand for emergency power generation capacity. The telecoms sector has also seen significant growth in demand for gensets, particularly for use with telecoms towers sited in remote off-grid locations. Continuing concerns regarding the shortage of grid capacity and the slow progress of some replacement generation plants have also led to increased demand for gensets, particularly in "mission critical" sectors such as healthcare and data centres.
The main focus of new product development has been around noise, engine efficiency and emissions with the development of advanced optimised engine management systems being introduced. An increasingly common solution to the issues of reducing fuel consumption and emissions is the use of hybrid generating sets that combine a conventional diesel engine with renewable energy sources, such as solar photovoltaic. Other product developments have included the use of cloud computing to enable remote monitoring, the incorporation of fully bunded internal fuel tanks, and the development of gensets offering longer service and fuel replenishment intervals to minimise the cost of maintenance and site visits.
Into the medium-term, annual growth rates averaging of 2-4% are currently forecasts for UK genset market for the period 2016-21, reflecting continuing positive prospects for the market, although at a slower growth rate than in 2014-15. Many of the current trends currently influencing the market are likely to continue in the short-medium term, providing an underlying stimulus to growth in the UK market. However, future prospects are difficult to predict, given the uncertainties as to how the UK economy will perform following the EU 'Brexit' decision. Government measures to alleviate concerns over security of energy supply, including the Capacity Market and the Short Term Operating Reserve (STOR) will continue to provide opportunities for UK generator suppliers, though concerns over the use of diesel generators for this application may lead to pressure to switch to alternative fuels.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK MARKET FOR ELECTRICITY GENERATING SETS (UP TO 750 KVA) 19
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.2.1 Background and Recent Performance 19
- 4.2.2 Future Prospects 21
- 4.3 UK PRODUCTION, FORECASTS, IMPORTS, EXPORTS OF GENERATORS 22
- 4.3.1 UK Production Analysis by Value and Volume 22
- 4.3.2 Analysis of International Trade in Generators 23
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES AFFECTING THE FUTURE FOR GENSETS 24
- 4.4.1 Construction 24
- 4.4.2 Infrastructure Sector 25
- 4.4.3 UK Energy Security 26
- 4.4.4 Aerospace 27
- 4.4.5 Air Conditioning 28
- 4.4.6 Portable Accommodation 28
- 4.4.7 Lighting Trends 29
- 4.4.8 The Hire Sector 30
- 4.4.9 Legislation 31
- 5. PRODUCT SEGMENTATION 33
- 5.1 PRODUCT TYPES 33
- 5.1.1 Overall Trends and Mix 33
- 5.1.2 Mainline Generating Sets 35
- 5.1.3 Power Sectors 35
- 5.1.4 Generating Sets for Marine Applications 36
- 5.1.5 Oil & Gas 36
- 5.1.6 Small Domestic Leisure and Industrial Gensets 36
- 5.1.7 Combined Heat and Power Generating Sets 38
- 5.1.8 Specialist Applications 38
- 5.2 TRENDS IN GENERATOR PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT 39
- 5.3 PRODUCT SEGMENTATION BY GENERATOR RATING 41
- 5.3.1 Overall Mix by Generator Rating 41
- 5.3.2 Gensets Up To 7.5 kVA 42
- 5.3.3 Gensets 7.5-75 kVA 42
- 5.3.4 Gensets 75-375 kVA 43
- 5.3.5 Gensets 375-750 kVA 43
- 5.4 END-USE APPLICATIONS 43
- 5.4.1 Mix by Application 43
- 5.4.2 Industrial Sector 44
- 5.4.3 Construction and On-Site Power 45
- 5.4.4 Oil, Gas and Marine 46
- 5.4.5 The Water Industry 46
- 5.4.6 Domestic and Leisure 47
- 6. DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 49
- 6.1 DISTRIBUTION MIX AND STRUCTURE 49
- 6.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 51
- 6.2.1 Industrial and Construction 51
- 6.2.2 Hire 51
- 6.2.3 Marine 53
- 6.2.4 Agriculture 53
- 6.2.5 DIY Multiples 53
- 6.2.6 E- Commerce Specialists 53
- 6.2.7 OEM 54
- 6.2.8 Industrial Products Distributors 54
- 7. MAJOR SUPPLIERS OF GENERATING SETS UP TO 750 KVA 55
- 7.1 GENSET MANUFACTURING AND SUPPLIERS 55
- 7.1.1 Market Shares 55
- 7.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 56
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK GENSET MARKET UP TO 750KVA 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR GENERATING SETS 2012-2016 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 20
- TABLE 7: UK PRODUCTION OF DIESEL GENERATORS UP TO 750KVA 2011-2015 - BY VOLUME (000'S), VALUE (£M) AND AVERAGE PRICE (£000'S) 22
- TABLE 8: VOLUME AND VALUE OF UK PRODUCTION OF DIESEL GENERATORS 2011-2016 - BY RATING 23
- TABLE 9: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN GENERATORS (UP TO 750 KVA) 2011, 2015 & 2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 24
- CHART 10: GB NEW WORK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 25
- CHART 11: INFRASTRUCTURE NEW WORK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 26
- TABLE 12: FORECAST UK AIR CONDITIONING MARKET 2013-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 28
- CHART 13: UK LIGHTING MARKET 2011-2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 29
- TABLE 14: UK GENERATOR HIRE MARKET 2013-2020 - AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 30
- TABLE 15: SEGMENTATION OF THE UK GENERATING SET MARKET UP TO 750KVA 2016 - % BY VALUE 34
- CHART 16: UK MANUFACTURERS' SALES OF GENSETS BY SELECTED RATING CATEGORIES 2016 - % BY VALUE 41
- CHART 17: MANUFACTURERS SALES OF GENSETS BY SELECTED RATINGS CATEGORIES 2008 AND 2015 - % BY VALUE 42
- TABLE 18: END USE APPLICATIONS MIX FOR THE UK GENSET MARKET 2016 - % SHARE 43
- TABLE 19: PROPOSED WATER AND SEWERAGE CAPITAL EXPENDITURE PROGRAMMES BY COMPANY 2015-2020 - BY VALUE (£BN) 47
- TABLE 20: GENSET MANUFACTURERS' SALES UP TO 750 KVA2 BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 2016 - % SHARE 49
- CHART 21: MARKET DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICITY GENERATING SETS UP TO 750 KVA 50
- TABLE 22: LEADING GENERATOR HIRE COMPANIES ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 2015-16 52
- TABLE 23: KEY SUPPLIERS TO UK ELECTRICITY GENERATING SET MARKET UP TO 750 KVA- MARKET SHARES 2016 - % BY VALUE 55
The 'Electricity Generating Set Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.